Who will be our OC?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is depressing the **** out of me.

There is no great answer and we have a first time head coach. Defense can only get better, but our offense is going to suffer. Whoever the OC is will have complete control and the HC won't know anything to oversee it.

Not fun.

I hope not- the success the Bills offense had last year seemed to involved reducing the number of plays and simplifying most of the ones that were left. seems like those were A-Lynns best moves= letting them find their groove.

should be easy to keep that going as long as they re-sign Tyrod.

Mike Matrz, he is only 65 years old.

no thanks. i witnessed his destruction of the chicago bears offense- actually trading TE Greg Olson because he didn't fit his "scheme".

Hot take alert.

I didn't like our offense last year [ducks]

I also would have had to talk myself into being excited about wet blanket punt/FG worshipper mike McCoy.

Please bring us a real NFL offense, Mickey D. If I feel like I'm watching the 2015-16 Ohio state offense on Sundays something is wrong. The total points scored and rushing stats are great but I don't curl up with stat sheets for comfort. I want to score points at the right times and be able to make the big time throws/plays that win games. Watching the QB run around all day ignoring open WRs is not the answer.

[ducks again]

I think Kromer can do it. Still need a QB.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Hot take alert.

I also would have had to talk myself into being excited about wet blanket punt/FG worshipper mike McCoy.

Please bring us a real NFL offense, Mickey D. If I feel like I'm watching the 2015-16 Ohio state offense on Sundays something is wrong. The total points scored and rushing stats are great but I don't curl up with stat sheets for comfort. I want to score points at the right times and be able to make the big time throws/plays that win games.

[ducks again]

Outside of the Miami game and first half against Oakland, I had issue with our offense as well. We either hit a home run or struck out. We have a big YPC, but not a lot of carries. We didn't sustain drives and control the tempo on offense.

Still, the end result of points made it good enough to win.

Mike Matrz, he is only 65 years old.

No to "Mad Mike". Just ..... No.

I'm not inspired at all by the retreads. There are some very bright young minds out there. No one knew who Sean McVay was when he was promoted from a tight ends coach to OC for Washington. I would not mind at all if McDermott tapped someone who we have not heard of yet.

This. There are a lot of smart, disciplined, hardworking ambitious assistants. Now if they're under contract, some teams will block their hire, but most won't and many assistants are under 1 year contracts.

My preferences in order:

1. Kromer (knows the players, the O, and likely how to improve TT's play),

2. Musgrave (did very well with Peterson and Carr);

3. Mike Munchak (Steelers OL Coach. Doing a great job there, also a great running and passing game balance.)

Gotta think Childress or Nagy with the Reid coaching tree thing we have going on.

Childress would be great IMO, but he was only just promoted to OC of the Chiefs this past season. Don't know but guessing he's under 3 year contract? If they only gave him a year, sure, try to get him! Great idea.

Nagy sounds interesting, and I think the Chiefs and Reid have historically been friendly to letting their assistants move for a promotion.

My preferences in order:

3. Mike Munchak (Steelers OL Coach. Doing a great job there, also a great running and passing game balance.)

Help me understand the Kromer love.

Tom Clements?

Chip KELLY????

Chip Kelly as an OC and only an OC might be good. McDermott can punch him in the face, from one Irishman to another, if he gets out of line.

Or like good Irish men they can down shots of well aged whiskey and reminisce about the good old days of the chalk board while watching game tapes. :lol:

I had liked the prospect of Mike McCoy, but really wanted to keep Lynn for continuity. Our offense was 6th in offensive TDs heading into week 17. That was based on our running game and TT. Just having Shady doesn't equal a running game. The OL did very well in run blocking these past two years under the zone running scheme. TT accounted for almost 25% of the run game. There are plenty of articles defending his field vision. Does he have flaws (like leaving a clean pocket)? Yeah, everyone does. He's still in the top 1/3 of NFL QBs, and is better than most under pressure. If we get rid of TT or dump our running game scheme, we are most likely going to regress, and that's not going to get us into the playoffs any sooner.

If Kromer or some Roman disciple was to take over, then I hope that we keep TT and the zone running scheme in place. If we get some pass happy coach, I doubt the offense will succeed (we don't have the receivers behind Sammy to pull it off). As we've proven year after year, we need BOTH offense and defense to succeed in order to get out of purgatory.

Help me understand the Kromer love.

He's done the job in multiple spots with some success. He's familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the offense. The line has been vastly improved since his arrival and specific players improved under his tutelage. The negative is that he's a lunatic. He's a damn good football coach though.

My preferences in order:

That's a good list. Forgot Munchak.

He's done the job in multiple spots with some success. He's familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the offense. The line has been vastly improved since his arrival and specific players improved under his tutelage. The negative is that he's a lunatic. He's a damn good football coach though.

Is he still a lunatic or did they get him some meds and therapy?

Hot take alert.

Please bring us a real NFL offense, Mickey D. If I feel like I'm watching the 2015-16 Ohio state offense on Sundays something is wrong. The total points scored and rushing stats are great but I don't curl up with stat sheets for comfort. I want to score points at the right times and be able to make the big time throws/plays that win games. Watching the QB run around all day ignoring open WRs is not the answer.

[ducks again]

I think Kromer can do it. Still need a QB.

I think we're all at the point where we can be talked into anything as long as it's got some forseeable positive.

Couple of thoughts on guys mentioned in here:

Munchak - no OC exp. Has never called plays. We have our version of him in Castillo.

Alex Van Pelt - got somewhat of raw deal here. GB probably blocks him though.

Kromer - pretty sure he did not call plays in CHI. Again, Castillo is already here.

Callahan - another run game coordinator. Did not call plays in DAL.

We need someone with a passing game background, playcalling experience, and who has QB development experience. This actually could be one person or 3. It doesn't matter. But we need to check those boxes.