Who will be our OC?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And is a lateral move and requires permission.

But it is relatively uncommon for a team to choose to block a "promotion" lateral move, and instead let their assistants who are not coordinators interview for coordinator position. Not sure on the full range and history of these, but blocking a promotion even when the NFL considers it officially lateral is bad interpersonal mojo.

That said, with a rookie defensive HC, and an uncertain situation at QB, I think our OC hire is among our more important, and really hope for the certainty that comes with someone with experience with the role, or as a really top notch QB coach right on the cusp. Roman/Lynn both failed to develop Tyrod as a pocket passer, and while they utilized our run game and Tyrod's elusiveness, I think the failure to include accurate mid range between the numbers passes in our attack made us vulnerable to many situations and defensive alignments. I'm looking for a little genius and chess player savvy in our OC, even when the final play calling can be simple and predictable 80% of the time. I'm not sure who that could be right now.

But it is relatively uncommon for a team to choose to block a "promotion" lateral move, and instead let their assistants who are not coordinators interview for coordinator position. Not sure on the full range and history of these, but blocking a promotion even when the NFL considers it officially lateral is bad interpersonal mojo.

That said, with a rookie defensive HC, and an uncertain situation at QB, I think our OC hire is among our more important, and really hope for the certainty that comes with someone with experience with the role, or as a really top notch QB coach right on the cusp. Roman/Lynn both failed to develop Tyrod as a pocket passer, and while they utilized our run game and Tyrod's elusiveness, I think the failure to include accurate mid range between the numbers passes in our attack made us vulnerable to many situations and defensive alignments. I'm looking for a little genius and chess player savvy in our OC, even when the final play calling can be simple and predictable 80% of the time. I'm not sure who that could be right now.

Just happened in Philly.

HC is gonna want that guy to be put in best possible position specially if it is not a HC spot. Even then they tend to give very strong advice on the best and worst HC spots to take

I wonder if they would think of naming Scott Turner(QB coach of Vikings the last 3 years/Norv's son) as the OC, with Norv Turner serving in a senior offensive assistant role. Scott's promotion wouldn't completely unfounded either as many people credit him with the selection and development of Teddy Bridgewater.

He also coached with McDermott with Carolina 2011-12.

Edited by BrooklynBills

I wonder if they would think of naming Scott Turner(QB coach of Vikings the last 3 years/Norv's son) as the OC, with Norv Turner serving in a senior offensive assistant role. Scott's promotion wouldn't completely unfounded either as many people credit him with the selection and development of Teddy Bridgewater.

Not really directed to you specifically but ive heard about the "development" of Teddy elsewhere. For a pure pocket passer, Teddy hasnt done anything in the passing game. 3200yds and 14td's with zero dual threat ability? I dont see development there from year 1. Edited by bobobonators

This may be something I could get on board with. Although I admittedly don't know a whole lot about Scott Turner. If ST has a solid reputation from people who know these things and have worked with him, and he's a young, sharp minded offensive up and comer, having Norv around could help. I just don't want Norv to run the show.

Chris Palmer may be the guy to run the offense, only if TT is brought back.

Scott got fired, http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vikings-fire-quarterback-coach-scott-101256213.html, so he's available. Matt Nagy of KC/formerly Philly sounds interesting as he could be an up and coming guys and he has a relationship with Nick Foles who might be a good bridge QB for the Bills while we develop Cardale or a QB we draft this year.

What i would do is call up Olsen (OC in Oak the year they drafted Carr)

1st question how much input did you have into The drafting of Carr

I would be in favor of Olson. I mentioned it elsewhere too. Hes worked with Brees in college. Made something of Kitna and made something of Freeman. Also look what he did with Bortles last year.

My biggest concern with him is he better suited as a QB coach than an OC?

Andy Reid usually lets his guys move up.

and Andy has a strong relationship with our running game coordinator/O-line coach and McDermott so think he'd be more willing to let Nagy come here than elsewhere.

I would be in favor of Olson. I mentioned it elsewhere too. Hes worked with Brees in college. Made something of Kitna and made something of Freeman. Also look what he did with Bortles last year.

My biggest concern with him is he better suited as a QB coach than an OC?

Just as long as we hire a separate OC and QB coach.