Who will be our OC?

YoloinOhio

I quite like the Matt Nagy option but I'm absolutely sure Reid would block it. Especially as he's the younger of the two co-OC's.

Possibly. But I have the impression Reid is someone who wants to see his guys get a step and succeed. Is that mistaken do you think?

Inhouse: Sanjay Lal!! Externally: I'd bring back Chan...for all his faults, he's a good OC...and he said upon leaving that of all his coaching stops, the Bills were the only one he would still root for.

No to Chan. Just...no.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's way more options than you or I know. Just because there's not people you've heard of...doesn't mean there aren't good options.

It's not about people I've heard of, it's about getting someone who is not a first time O-Coordinator in the NFL. I mentioned in my post that with a rookie head coach it seems like it would be better to have non-rookie coordinators, especially on offense where he may be on a bit of an island. There aren't many of those guys (who have had any measure of success) available.

My guess is Brad Childress.

He was (and is) part of the Andy Reid corps and has worked with Castillo and McDermott in the past. Childress would also fit the pattern of what we saw with the Frazier hire: a guy with lots of experience, familiar to the res of the staff and with former head coaching experience as well. Given that Childress would be the main guy on offense here versus part of a 3-headed conglomerate (under Reid's shadow), he would likely accept the "lateral move" with the Bills, and Reid probably would not block it.

Considering the early Castillo hire, I would not be surprised if some sort of agreement were not already in place with Childress -- but nothing can happen while the Chiefs are still in the playoffs.

Reading all these names makes me consider what a weird career it is to be a NFL coach.

In most professions, you climb the corporate ladder and get more responsibility and bigger paychecks as your career progresses.

But many NFL coaches are like yo-yos going up and down: position coach then coordinator then head coach then position coach then coordinator again...

Considering the Peter principle, it's actually a good thing. In so many other professions, people get promotions until they become stagnant and no longer improve. While they get fired in some cases, they rarely get to go back to their old job, which they actually excelled at.

He was (and is) part of the Andy Reid corps and has worked with Castillo and McDermott in the past. Childress would also fit the pattern of what we saw with the Frazier hire: a guy with lots of experience, familiar to the res of the staff and with former head coaching experience as well. Given that Childress would be the main guy on offense here versus part of a 3-headed conglomerate (under Reid's shadow), he would likely accept the "lateral move" with the Bills, and Reid probably would not block it.

Considering the early Castillo hire, I would not be surprised if some sort of agreement were not already in place with Childress -- but nothing can happen while the Chiefs are still in the playoffs.

IMO this would be a bad idea. A short passing WCO timing offense doesn't suit any of the personnel we have. Would muddle along to a middling result.

About the only thing we truly know is it has to be someone coaching in the playoffs. If it were Musgrave he would have been announced already.

I can wait if it is a top coordinator candidate and used to coaching winners. I can only say he had a solid first press conference, but we'll have to wait 8 months to see what we have in his staff.

About the only thing we truly know is it has to be someone coaching in the playoffs. If it were Musgrave he would have been announced already.

I can wait if it is a top coordinator candidate and used to coaching winners. I can only say he had a solid first press conference, but we'll have to wait 8 months to see what we have in his staff.

Musgrave signed on with DEN as the QB coach.

Id like Childress, and right now in KC there are technically 2 OCs on staff. But out of the two I think Nagy might be the first to jump ship. I'd rather have Childress but at this point, Id take either of them.

Id like Childress, and right now in KC there are technically 2 OCs on staff. But out of the two I think Nagy might be the first to jump ship. I'd rather have Childress but at this point, Id take either of them.

I'll take the more adaptable of the two, please. I hope that, like McDermott's reputation, they will adapt the scheme to the personnel rather than being scheme specific. (Especially if we're working with Tyrod!)