Who will be our OC?

YoloinOhio

@salsports

Pats TE coach/former NFL OC Brian Daboll went to St Francis HS and began coaching career at William & Mary Sean McDermott's senior year. Hmm

Others here and elsewhere have wondered/suggested Daboll for Bills OC, but if you're looking for any connections to McDermott, there you go.

He was OC for Browns a few years ago. Bad. But, it was the Browns so

@bradleygelber

Report from @jeffphowe was that Daboll would've been Pats OC if McDaniels left. Players feel he's ready. Would be a smart look by the #Bills

From research the only positive things I can find on this guy is that 1) he is a local guy and 2) he worked for the Patriots as a tight end coach

Here are his stats as an offensive coordinator

Offensive Rankings

Year Team Total Points Yards/Gm Rushing Yds/A Passing Yds/A Completion %

2009 Cleveland 29 32 15 32 32

2010 Cleveland 31 29 19 21 14

2011 Miami 20 22 15 13 18

2012 Kansas City 32 24 5 30 27

What is it about him that makes him look attractive other than he is local and worked as an assistant for the Patriots a few years?

Not trying to knock the guy. Just don't see what there is to get excited about.

Notice how short his stints have been as an offensive coordinator. That also doesn't bode well for him.

Edited by PolishDave

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can block a promotion for a coach, only lateral moves. If he's below OC now, the Pats have nothing to say about it unless they instantly promote him to OC and fire McD. Rex couldn't block Pettine from becoming the Bills' DC because he wasn't the DC in NY. Similarly, the Bills couldn't block Pettine from going to Cleveland because it was a promotion.

Plus, how much of a d#$k would you be if you blocked somebody on your staff from a promotion somewhere else. How many people would want to coach under that leadership? Nobody who thinks they'll be a HC someday.

Only position that cant be blocked is a HC vacancy. All others can be blocked.

Only position that cant be blocked is a HC vacancy. All others can be blocked.

So why call them co-ordinators? Just call them assistant coaches to put them all in same pool. Honestly some of these names they come up with are strangest things ever. Case in point is Childress being the spread offense co-offensive coordinator in KC. Just call him assistant offensive coach and be done with it.

So why call them co-ordinators? Just call them assistant coaches to put them all in same pool. Honestly some of these names they come up with are strangest things ever. Case in point is Childress being the spread offense co-offensive coordinator in KC. Just call him assistant offensive coach and be done with it.

In the end theyre all assistants. But the assistants are then further specialized. In the end youre either a HC or an assistant.

I don't think you can block a promotion for a coach, only lateral moves. If he's below OC now, the Pats have nothing to say about it unless they instantly promote him to OC and fire McD. Rex couldn't block Pettine from becoming the Bills' DC because he wasn't the DC in NY. Similarly, the Bills couldn't block Pettine from going to Cleveland because it was a promotion.

Plus, how much of a d#$k would you be if you blocked somebody on your staff from a promotion somewhere else. How many people would want to coach under that leadership? Nobody who thinks they'll be a HC someday.

Agreed! Bad big picture policy if so

From research the only positive things I can find on this guy is that 1) he is a local guy and 2) he worked for the Patriots as a tight end coach

Here are his stats as an offensive coordinator

Offensive Rankings

Year Team Total Points Yards/Gm Rushing Yds/A Passing Yds/A Completion %

2009 Cleveland 29 32 15 32 32

2010 Cleveland 31 29 19 21 14

2011 Miami 20 22 15 13 18

2012 Kansas City 32 24 5 30 27

What is it about him that makes him look attractive other than he is local and worked as an assistant for the Patriots a few years?

Not trying to knock the guy. Just don't see what there is to get excited about.

Notice how short his stints have been as an offensive coordinator. That also doesn't bode well for him.

He's Belichek's hand-picked replacement in waiting for McDaniels. That's all i need to know.

Pettine was DC in NY. His contract expired

He's Belichek's hand-picked replacement in waiting for McDaniels. That's all i need to know.

Are we sure about this?

Even if true, Belichick requires his coordinators to run the Pats O and the Pats D. They're not required to innovate. They're required to execute a pre-existing plan.

Not sure he could do that here with Bill to guide him.

Anybody up for Gailey, his offenses weren't the problem. He got 1200 yards and 6.0 yards a carry from CJ Spiller. Imagine what he could do with McCoy.

He has plenty of experience. That's for sure. You would see a lot more passing too.

He has plenty of experience. That's for sure. You would see a lot more passing too.

All I know is Gailey made a half way decent offense with a 7th Round draft pick QB (Fitzpatrick) an undrafted RB (Fred Jackson) a 7th WR (Stevie Johnson) and undrafted WRs (David Nelson and Donald Jones) and a journeyman TE (Scott Chandler).

All I know is Gailey made a half way decent offense with a 7th Round draft pick QB (Fitzpatrick) an undrafted RB (Fred Jackson) a 7th WR (Stevie Johnson) and undrafted WRs (David Nelson and Donald Jones) and a journeyman TE (Scott Chandler).

Nobody hated Gailey either, he just didn't know how to HC.

I'm OK with the blocking policy for the following reason. most position coaches are only signed to two year contracts which means at most there would only be one season that you could be prevented from leaving. I'm sure when coordinators leave for HC positions it does create some havoc for team losing him. But in reality there may be less than 1/2 dozen per year. Coordinators sometimes leave teams that don't even have a HC change. So if you were to allow anyone to also leave for every open coordinator positions, think there's just be too much churn. So for one year at most you're locked in Oh well, sorry!!

I actually wonder if that was the reason the Bills retained Crossman as the guy McD wants is signed till next year and there wasn't anyone else he really wanted. Come the end of next season, regardless how well they may do, a change is made.