Tank for Sam Darnold SC QB , 2nd coming of Brady

It's not going to happen with so many possible variables including Darnold staying in school. Beyond that, the team isn't looking at this strategy as evidenced by decisions like bringing back Kyle Williams back in 2017.

I don't think they are going to do it. However there's a decent argument they should. It's a tough thing to do in the NFL. I could only see a scenario if we're 2-10 or something like that - you could start making some decisions to pursue it.

Edited by Triple Threat

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many games each season in baseball,basketball, and hockey that it makes it easier to tank. No matter how bad one tries to be you might not be the worst team. If Darnold is the first overall pick there is no guarantee we'll necessarily get the first pick. If you "accidentally" win a few games in the NFL you can easily fall out of the first position. In other sports a few accidental wins won't hurt much. Football is unique from the other major sports. Tanking doesn't make sense.

Has this thread been made yet? If so, I am sorry. I have historically been against tanking a season to get the #1 pick, but now I really like the idea. I'm tired of hoping we found the diamond in the rough on QBs out of the top 5 picks. Often times the QBs taken in the top 5 bust anyways. It is SO dang hard to find a QB that will be a guaranteed quality NFL QB. The last sure thing at QB was Luck, and I don't think you can find a single Colts fan upset that their team purposefully tanked the season to draft him.

We need to do the same thing to draft Darnold. He is the most sure fire star at the QB position since Luck. I say get rid of Tyrod, draft Kelly late in this draft and have him start. If he plays like an All Pro, then we are set! but if he stinks up the joint, we will be sitting pretty to get the best QB prospect since Luck... in fact, he might be better than Luck!

I know it will sting for a year to have unwatchable football, but again, do you think there is 1 Colts fan still upset over their Curtis Painter season now? Suck for Darnold and be guaranteed to have the next great generational QB!!! Go Bills!

PS: think of the children... my 18 year old nephew had no idea that Buffalo was even allowed to participate in the post season. Let's change that and be the Pats of the 2020s!

Andrew Luck lol. They have done nothing and he has been in the league how many years?

Not a terrible idea. Living in LA I'very seen just about every college qb come out of here and Sam Darnold would rank with Palmer and Aikman. He's the real deal. Best prospect since Luck. If we don't keep TT than the tank may happen on it's own. Sucks for Sam! My one fear is he stays in school if he thinks he might go to Buffalo?

Not a terrible idea. Living in LA I'very seen just about every college qb come out of here and Sam Darnold would rank with Palmer and Aikman. He's the real deal. Best prospect since Luck. If we don't keep TT than the tank may happen on it's own. Sucks for Sam! My one fear is he stays in school if he thinks he might go to Buffalo?

I didn't see that much of him, but what I did see was off the charts. My son kept telling me about him so I'm tried to catch what I could. As for staying in school, who wouldn't trade LA and USC cheerleaders for Buffalo and the Jills......oh, wait.... That's risky. Seriously, if you're the first pick you have to come out, right?

I didn't see that much of him, but what I did see was off the charts. My son kept telling me about him so I'm tried to catch what I could. As for staying in school, who wouldn't trade LA and USC cheerleaders for Buffalo and the Jills......oh, wait.... That's risky. Seriously, if you're the first pick you have to come out, right?

Dude these college kids can be a flesh in the pants. I remember the nonstop blather about some dude named Jay Clocker and a year later I don't think he even got drafted.

If you could get a brand new head coach to buy in to a tank, that would be amazing.

The reality is Sean McDermott is going to fight for every win he can get.

Now, if you are asking if "we" the fans should get a say, then I could see a tank in 2017. But let's make sure we do it right. Ending up picking 5th or 6th will be close, but not close enough.

There are so many games each season in baseball,basketball, and hockey that it makes it easier to tank. No matter how bad one tries to be you might not be the worst team. If Darnold is the first overall pick there is no guarantee we'll necessarily get the first pick. If you "accidentally" win a few games in the NFL you can easily fall out of the first position. In other sports a few accidental wins won't hurt much. Football is unique from the other major sports. Tanking doesn't make sense.

Tanking in the NFL would only be for one reason - QB. Tanking in the NHL or NBA could mean that one player turns the entire team around and the odds are pretty decent. In the NFL the odds the QB you'd tank for works out are so very very low.

Edited by Triple Threat

What if Watson/Trubisky are on the board ?

id take either one of them and sink or swim with them for the season.

if they have a good rookie year, you then know theres a chance that they can develop into a decent QB.

if they lose out or win two games, you then have a shot at darnold.

we know now tyrod gives you a 7-9, 9-7 year, and that's against a weak schedule. unfortunately, he is the definition of mediocrity.

gotta get rid of him.

Dude these college kids can be a flesh in the pants. I remember the nonstop blather about some dude named Jay Clocker and a year later I don't think he even got drafted.

Trust me on this one. Sam Darnold will get drafted #1 overall. And he'll be the closest thing to Andrew Luck since Andrew Luck....

Has this thread been made yet? If so, I am sorry. I have historically been against tanking a season to get the #1 pick, but now I really like the idea. I'm tired of hoping we found the diamond in the rough on QBs out of the top 5 picks. Often times the QBs taken in the top 5 bust anyways. It is SO dang hard to find a QB that will be a guaranteed quality NFL QB. The last sure thing at QB was Luck, and I don't think you can find a single Colts fan upset that their team purposefully tanked the season to draft him.

We need to do the same thing to draft Darnold. He is the most sure fire star at the QB position since Luck. I say get rid of Tyrod, draft Kelly late in this draft and have him start. If he plays like an All Pro, then we are set! but if he stinks up the joint, we will be sitting pretty to get the best QB prospect since Luck... in fact, he might be better than Luck!

I know it will sting for a year to have unwatchable football, but again, do you think there is 1 Colts fan still upset over their Curtis Painter season now? Suck for Darnold and be guaranteed to have the next great generational QB!!! Go Bills!

PS: think of the children... my 18 year old nephew had no idea that Buffalo was even allowed to participate in the post season. Let's change that and be the Pats of the 2020s!

Im with you. New coaches, new systems, a lot of new players and more than likely a new a QB, all of which make this year perfect timing to "win next offseason" (Tanking is frowned upon in this establishment, so use other code words :flirt: )

With Matt Ryan, Brady 2x, Brees, Cam, Carr, Luck, Jameis, Rivers, and Denver D on schedule it will already look like a tank.

yes yes my plan is working :devil::devil:

I am on board the tank for sam. No way tyrod will ever get the bills to the superbowl.

give the coaching staff a solid three-four years and provide them an opportunity to draft a top QB to develop.

its time to take the rank of tank commander whaley.

hopefully Whaley is the new Darcy

Let's sign Gibran Hamden again and make him a starter for a year! Nostalgia and we get Darnold! Win win. Even if he hasn't touched a football in 5 years, sign him. In fact, that actually would help our cause. I hope he lost any feel for the game he might have had when we start him

Cardale should do nicely

Trust me on this one. Sam Darnold will get drafted #1 overall. And he'll be the closest thing to Andrew Luck since Andrew Luck....

So 6 years into his career he'll be a turnover machine that has managed to eke out a division title in the worst division in football history a couple of times?

What happens if the Darnold regresses like so many other college quarterbacks who have early success? Or what happens if Darnold is good again but decides to return to USC for another year because he sees the Bills are drafting 1st? These are realistic possibilities. Look at the last time the Bills ended up near bottom (3-13). Luck was supposed to come out and he returned to Stanford. We would not have gotten Luck but It would have allowed the Bills to get Newton. Instead we end up with Dareus and he is good but has not really been worth the $ and headaches.

Let's not make the same mistake 22 teams made on Aaron Rogers. Mahomes at 10.

Mahomes definitely intrigues me. I want to keep Taylor but if Bills decide to move on, drafting Mahomes would probably pacify my anger.

My guess is that you are an expect in suck

If you could get a brand new head coach to buy in to a tank, that would be amazing.

The reality is Sean McDermott is going to fight for every win he can get.

Now, if you are asking if "we" the fans should get a say, then I could see a tank in 2017. But let's make sure we do it right. Ending up picking 5th or 6th will be close, but not close enough.

I want a tank because I think Sam Darnold will be not only special but a long term franchise qb. But this will require us to not only have the #1 pick but pray Sam doesn't stay another yr. I'm also afraid Sean will do the complete opposite. Try to squeeze 10 wins out of a 7 win team....

I think Rosen will be the number 1 at this time next year and be the next really good young qb in the league. Going 7-9 or 8-8 with Tyrod will kill those dreams.

Rosen had those big games two yrs ago but wasn't great last yr. he has a lot of work to do to get number one.

I've brought this up elsewhere but since it's a zombie thread and will not die, once the League and the NFLPA found out about it your team would be in hot water for a while. Player incentives, those playing in contract years, coaches trying to advance in the ranks of the NFL and so on make it unlikely. I doubt any team could keep it that much of a secret that something would not get leaked. Great for headlines, not so much for the League.

Bills fans celebrate as the Bills secure the 1st pick in the draft.

2 days later Darnold announces he will return to USC for his junior year.

Unfortunately there's a possibility of this happening...I consider myself a huge Darnold fan and I have no doubt Sam will be a special qb for whoever gets him...it will take either an intentional or unintentional "tank" season...I want the Bills to succeed long term in the worst way...I don't think Sean would be willing to pull the trigger on a tank season and it could still backfire....if we keep TT it's all moot.

Even tanking for Luck didn't work out that well. It turns out the other 21 starters on offense and defense have an impact on the game.

As for the next great USC QB, please refer to Kessler, Barkley, Leinart, Booty, Sanchez, Palmer, Johnson, Marinovich, Peete, Salisbury.

Not one of these guys is worth tanking a season. Luck and Elway were the closest ever to sure things and they both struggled early. Manning had question marks. Could you imagine tanking and getting Ricke Mirer or worse Jamarcus Russell?

Don't tank. Try to win now. Trade down in the draft and add picks. Replace expensive corners with cheaper zone scheme guys. Absolutely no need to tank for a guy who has a better chance of being a fourth round bust than the first overall pick in the draft.

this is also true could be another 2004, hopefully we don't get stuck with another JP Losman.

I got Darnold, Josh Allen and Rosen.

Do you have anyone else?

The bit of tape study I started on Mason Rudolph before he decided to go back to school was pretty encouraging. If he takes another step for Oklahoma State this year I think he could end up being the hot name next draft season. I'm not 100% convinced with his arm strength - that is the main focus I will have watching him next year.