Let's stop the Watkins is a bust nonsense...its WRONG...

Big Turk

Unless you are going to also consider Julio Jones a bust as well, and if so, simply stop reading at this point because there is nothing to discuss. Yeah...didn't think so. So read on.

Jones dealt with the same type of injury as Watkins has...needing 2 fot surgeries to correct it...haven't heard a peep about him being a bust recently, have you??

So let's delve in a little further to how their first 3 years in the NFL compared...Watkins compares pretty favorably on a raw stat line basis I'd say, but when you take a close look at the numbers, its hard not to see that Watkins has actually outperformed Jones in his first 3 years...before you dismiss it out of hand, let's take a look:

Jones: 174 catches, 2,737 yards, 20 TDs --- Matt Ryan attempting 1,832 passes over those 3 years

Watkins: 153 catches, 2,459 yards, 17 TDs --- Tyrod Taylor and an assortment of other Bills QBs attempting 1,487 passes over those 3 years

If we adjust Watkins stats simply for passes attempted, putting them on an even playing field(ie, the Bills throw the ball 350 more times), Watkins stats look like this:

Watkins: 188 catches, 3,029 yards, 21 TDs

Same foot injury, both needing 2 foot surgeries to come back from it...I'd say Watkins has put up FAR better numbers in his 3 years considering who he has had throwing him the ball and the lack of attempts...

For those crying about the "2 first round picks", even though it was only 1, and how it was a terrible move...

I think you might want to save that tired, wrong narrative for about 3 more years...Watkins is a stud when healthy, and hopefully this foot issue will be resolved just like Jones' was by a second surgery, and Watkins can do similar things to what Jones has done in years 4-6...

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watkins is a star that can't stay healthy. It's quite unfortunate because he didn't have injury concerns coming out. It happens in football sometimes though. I'm hoping that he can get healthy because I have no doubt that he's an elite player when out there.

i wonder if his injuries, or at least the severity of, will go down if we could find a guy to hit him on the run. standing still with the ball floating towards you while seven defenders are all licking their chops is not conducive to a long career. nor is performing amateur contortionist acts to try to wrangle in some of the slop thrown the way of our receivers. if healthy, he is a game changer. if healthy and playing with a good qb, i think he is a game breaker.

He is teetering. Let's see what he does next year.

I expect 100 catches for 1,500 yards anything less will be a major disappointment.

Imo

Bullcrap...

You want to see a bust? Go look at Charles Rogers, 2nd pick in the 2003 draft....

36 catches, 440 yards, 4 TDs in 3 years.

THAT is a bust...

Edited by matter2003

I like Watkins a lot and it is a shame he cant stay healthy.

With that said, he isn't a bust, but I think at this point he would have to be seen as a reach. 2 first rounders given up for him, (QB issues aside) and evans and OBJ (and arguably others) picked after him have been more productive.

Not saying he is a bust, but I don't think he was worth what we gave up, which I guess is a reach.

If he can somehow stay healthy, he will help this team get on the right track. huge if at this point

The terms "Sammy Watkins" and "bust" don't belong anywhere near each other.

The most one could say is that he hasn't been available enough to justify the investment.

And I'd agree with that.

On the field, he's nothing short of elite on a per-target basis.

The terms "Sammy Watkins" and "bust" don't belong anywhere near each other.

The most one could say is that he hasn't been available enough to justify the investment.

And I'd agree with that.

On the field, he's nothing short of elite on a per-target basis.

I agree with this.

I also think if we get a QB who won't put him in peril every time he's a target, we might get 16 games out of him.

I'd like to see Sammy get close to half of the targets. That's what the good teams do. He needs 10 targets a game anyways. The offense will be better if that's the case.

Totally agree.

Not sure if you watched the GB game last night. But Rodgers was having trouble finding Nelson open (he was being covered very well). They adjusted. They found a way to get him the ball. And that's when the game got away from Detroit.

Watkins needs the ball. We need a QB who can find him/hit him other than when there's blown coverage on the sidelines.

Totally agree.

Not sure if you watched the GB game last night. But Rodgers was having trouble finding Nelson open (he was being covered very well). They adjusted. They found a way to get him the ball. And that's when the game got away from Detroit.

Watkins needs the ball. We need a QB who can find him/hit him other than when there's blown coverage on the sidelines.

The weirdest thing were those games where Watkins would get 3 targets. That's just inexcusable. Those other teams never go away from their star. They keep trying to force the ball in. OBJ has games with 20 targets!! Edited by Kirby Jackson

Totally agree.

And a OC who can Adjust!!!

Watkins is still a bust if he can't stay on the field. I don't care how good and talented he is, he was drafted in one of the best WR class in NFL history in my opinion.

Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Martavis Bryant, Jarvis Landry all look just as good or better than Watkins because they stay on the field.

If I have to hear about Watkin's foot again next season, I'm gonna lose my sht.

its nuts that there is a narrative of him being a diva or bust cause he has been hurt. you can't plan injuries. look at what he looked like with kyle freaking orton! lets just get him the ball when he is healthy. and he will return to being 100 yard a game dude.

Wait an actual positive post with FACTS, some insight and even a clarification for the fools that keep saying he cost us two 1st round picks (hint: 2 picks minus 1 sammy = 1 pick)

Good post. Watkins was the best wr in the NFL for 2nd half of the season last year, and we got to see him warm up a little here at the end of this season. He's great and a solid teammate too. Wait til he gets another stud WR and another year healthy with TT.

We couldn't want for a better WR. He's more gifted than Andre Reed & James Lofton -both HOFers. We're set at OL and should return the Line intact for a 3rd straight season -just keep enhancing the depth. We're set at FB. We're fine @ TE with Clay -O'Leary is developing and Gragg may return. We're set at RB with TD Mike & future HOFer McCoy. We need another threat opposite of Sammy and a QB who is accurate and courageous enough to throw open WR's. We're already far and away the best rushing team 2 years running. Imagine how incredible we'd be with a true QB.

We couldn't want for a better WR. He's more gifted than Andre Reed & James Lofton -both HOFers. We're set at OL and should return the Line intact for a 3rd straight season -just keep enhancing the depth. We're set at FB. We're fine @ TE with Clay -O'Leary is developing and Gragg may return. We're set at RB with TD Mike & future HOFer McCoy. We need another threat opposite of Sammy and a QB who is accurate and courageous enough to throw open WR's. We're already far and away the best rushing team 2 years running. Imagine how incredible we'd be with a true QB.

Again not sure if TT isn't the qb. The issue is watch the films and the play calling and he's seldom looked for and often when he is, you can tell that it was the play call. If the play call is not to Watkins or his side of the field he nor TT is to blame.

I consider his usage rate to be more than reasonable when he's on the field. I'm not going to hold him to specific totals due to how our offense has been run. Hoping for better health going forward, though.

The weirdest thing were those games where Watkins would get 3 targets. That's just inexcusable. Those other teams never go away from their star. They keep trying to force the ball in. OBJ has games with 20 targets!!

7 of Tyrod's 15 games this year have had 25 or fewer passing attempts.

I consider his usage rate to be more than reasonable when he's on the field. I'm not going to hold him to specific totals due to how our offense has been run. Hoping for better health going forward, though.

7 of Tyrod's 15 games this year have had 25 or fewer passing attempts.

At 25 passing attempts I still see no reason that at least 10 aren't directed at him. Look at the percentage of targets that other star receivers get (especially those with limited other options).

Julio Jones has proven he isn't a bust. Sammy hasn't done that yet. As of right now Sammy is on the edge of being considered a bust.

?? Nonsense. More posters on this Board are considered a bust than Sammy.

37 games, 153 receptions, 2,459 yrds. 17 TDs and a 16.1 ypc. in 3 years. He's 23 years old!

Sammy has not proven close to being worth the three picks we spent on him. He's got a long way to go. It hasn't all been his fault, but bottom line, the Bills would be a better team if they had just stayed pat and picked any of the other WR's available, and kept the 1st and 4th picks for two more players.

Sammy has not proven close to being worth the three picks we spent on him. He's got a long way to go. It hasn't all been his fault, but bottom line, the Bills would be a better team if they had just stayed pat and picked any of the other WR's available, and kept the 1st and 4th picks for two more players.

He will get a legit passing qb soon. Then he will tear the league up.

I'm fine with the trade up but Odell is something else as well. He would have killed Taylor by now though over targets.

I agree with this but you cannot evaluate the trade in hindsight. When that draft took place Sammy was seen as the only sure thing WR prospect. Evans was considered a below average route runner and there were questions on whether he'd be able to get separation in the NFL (he can). OBJ was considered a bit small to be a sure thing. Sammy had it all. Speed, good size, amazing hands, quickness, route running, you name it he had / has it. In retrospect, yes, we should have just stayed and taken one of the other WRs, but you cannot look at it that way. Sammy has the talent to justify where we took him, we just need him to stay on the field and throw him the damn ball.