Let's stop the Watkins is a bust nonsense...its WRONG...

Big Turk

One man's facts are another's opinion. I'm perfectly fine with you having your point of view and I haven't felt the need to tell you that your opinions have no value. Why the cantankerousness? We see things differently. I prefer to look at the here and now, you prefer otherwise. It's an ok thing.

I'll invite you to show me where.

There are many receivers I would choose over Watkins, even some who are long in the tooth.

He has not lived up to expectations. (this cannot be denied) I don't know what that makes him, but, to this point you cannot say he was a worthwhile pick.

Edited by What a Tuel

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe Sammy is a bust either. On any team with consistent QB play this wouldn't even be up for discussion..

So really we should say giving up a 1st rounder for a WR when you have EJ Manuel under center was a bust. I called it a stupid, irresponsible move the day it happened and nothing's changed to dissuade me of that opinion.

If his career were to end today, most definitely. Only a homer wouldn't see it as such.

What did you mean by this response?

Sure looks like you responded to my question of "this guy is a bust?" with a very clear "most definitely".

I'll invite you to show me where.

See above

EDIT:

and unfortunately my iPhone typing resulted in me accidentally deleting the post to which you responded 😡

So you'll have to read it in a quoted version.

Edited by thebandit27

You disagree that to this point Watkins has not lived up to expectations? Based on production there are not other receivers you would rather have on the Bills?

What did you mean by this response?

Sure looks like you responded to my question of "this guy is a bust?" with a very clear "most definitely".

See above

If his career were to end today...yes. It hasn't (I hope) so he isn't. Really not that tough. I typically say what I mean, don't spend time looking for hidden meanings. You won't find them.

One man's facts are another's opinion. I'm perfectly fine with you having your point of view and I haven't felt the need to tell you that your opinions have no value. Why the cantankerousness? We see things differently. I prefer to look at the here and now, you prefer otherwise. It's an ok thing.

I was specifically referencing your comment of how I was using "ifs" and speculation when you were responding to a post of his factual production and the factual events of his career. You want to disregard how productive he is when on the field and ONLY point to career totals because that is the only thing you can say to try and support your narrative. But the career totals are impacted by his 8 missed games this year and his 2 missed games last year...so he career totals are missing 10 games all together, not to mention the game he left early or played hurt.

So you want to know why I sound "cantankerous" well there is your answer. Bothers me when people try and cherry pick information and present a skewed viewed on it to create a narrative they want. The facts are, he has been HIGHLY productive when given opportunities on the field and healthy. But the 10 missed games, a run first team, and spending half his career catching pass from the loser duo of EJ and Orton mean nothing to you even though he has pretty good numbers despite all that. 2500 yards, 16.1 YPC, 17 TDs and a ton of spectacular plays in literally under 2 and a half seasons of games is pretty impressive, and even more impressive when you realize half that time on the field was with EJ and Orton.

If I told you that we can take a WR in this draft in the top 10 that would put up 2500 yards, 17 TDs, with a 16.1 yard per catch average over the next 2 1/2 seasons with mostly sub par QB play you would want Whaley fired for not drafting him.

You disagree that to this point Watkins has not lived up to expectations? Based on production there are not other receivers you would rather have on the Bills?

Would I rather have injury free Mike Evans the past 3 years over Sammy with injuries, yes.

Would I rather have Mike Evans over Sammy Watkins while both are healthy? no.

That's the distinction I was referring to before. If Sammy Watkins is healthy, he is undeniably a top WR talent. There is no question in that. It is understandable that you do not believe he has lived up to expectations through production, but know that it is because of the injuries, and not because of a lack of talent. That's the distinction you have to make, and despite people mocking Sammy as "glass" or "injury prone", he will get healthy and showcase his talent as he did last year.

If his career were to end today...yes. It hasn't (I hope) so he isn't. Really not that tough. I typically say what I mean, don't spend time looking for hidden meanings. You won't find them.

Well, for someone that doesn't do subterfuge, that looks like an awfully convenient way to call him a bust while leaving a rather flimsy out.

I'm sure you can re-read that and see why your post that says "if his career ended today he'd be a bust" sounds an awful lot like "he's a bust", and if it wasn't meant that way, then why bring it up at all?

Is there any 1st round pick in NFL history whose career would NOT be a bust if it lasted a total of 3 seasons?

We couldn't want for a better WR. He's more gifted than Andre Reed & James Lofton -both HOFers. We're set at OL and should return the Line intact for a 3rd straight season -just keep enhancing the depth. We're set at FB. We're fine @ TE with Clay -O'Leary is developing and Gragg may return. We're set at RB with TD Mike & future HOFer McCoy. We need another threat opposite of Sammy and a QB who is accurate and courageous enough to throw open WR's. We're already far and away the best rushing team 2 years running. Imagine how incredible we'd be with a true QB.

We need a real #2 and #3 WRs. The defense has been terrible