Tyrod to remain starter

What a Tuel

Yeah because players never surprise coaches. Like Dak Prescott. Or like Brown and Alexander in our case. I know the guy is raw. He was also not ready and the third string qb in college yet he ended up winning the national championship defeating Alabama which are the patriots of college football. So please spare me the he is raw speech. What is there to lose?

In last weeks Monday Nighter, Gruden said you can ruin a young QB by playing him too soon. That sounds like a lot to lose to me. No offense, but I'm going to with Gruden and Rex'opinion over yours.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In last weeks Monday Nighter, Gruden said you can ruin a young QB by playing him too soon. That sounds like a lot to lose to me. No offense, but I'm going to with Gruden and Rex'opinion over yours.

Gruden says a lot of stuff...I like him, but he's very clearly not the be-all, end-all on football knowledge...Or QB's for that matter...He's wrong a lot...He's right a lot...

I actually agree with Gruden here...To a point...You can ruin a young QB early...Sure, it's possible...Especially if that young QB is already flawed...You can also develop one by playing him...I think the reality is if they are going to be good, and they get forced in, they'll look good at times...and bad at times...But it will be clear if they can play...If they have the capacity to improve...Or if they just have problems that will plague them their entire NFL careers...

I don't think it will be good or bad to see Cardale yet...I think if the Bills put him out there, and he's going to be any good long term, he'll show that potential...I also think he'll struggle some...Like pretty much every single young QB before him...I think it's a mistake to take one or two situations and assume everything thing is the same...The good young QB's struggle early, but show enough to assume they will get better...The poorer ones continue to struggle with their flaws and don't improve when the NFL adjusts...I don't know which type Cardale is...But I do not think having him go in now is going to make a difference one way or the other...Besides the Bills are a run 1st, grind it out and play it safe Offense anyway...It's not like they are going to ask him to be Brady...It's not in the DNA of this team as it is currently built...

I also think playing Cardale now will actually be a hell of lot less pressure than pegging him as the starter going in to next season...I think there is a real chance these few games will help him understand the pressures and enable him to deal with them a little better going in to 2017...But there are too many people in that organization right now thinking about surviving 2016...No one on Rex's staff is thinking about what is best for next year...Or what is best for Cardale...At least I don't think so...And granted I could be wrong...

The reason Tyrod is starting is because Ryan knows his job is on the line...IMHO it's nothing beyond that... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I wonder if the Bills buy insurance to offset/cover injuries? In other words, if Tyrod blows a knee and gets his full payment I wonder if an insurer would actually be on the hook for the full payment and not the Bills.

Who negotiates these stupid contracts? The Niners and Kap had the same thing in his contract before they renegotiated it. Word was that was why they stuck with Gabbert for so long. They didn't want Kap to get injured and be stuck with him for another year.

Gruden is never wrong. You win

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Gruden-excited-about-EJ-Manuels-potential/df95d66e-9292-4c98-a79d-e856ff420418

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/4/15/4226372/jon-gruden-calls-e-j-manuel-a-first-round-talent

And Rex of course is the ultimate QB evaluator

No, we are likely going to win the last 3 games and finish 9-7...look who we are playing.

Cleveland who is just plain terrible.

Miami with their backup QB.

Jets who are just plain terrible.

If you hand to handicap the Bills record over the 3 games, the overwhleming favorite would be 3-0

Also, Miami usually can't handle the Buffalo cold in December and the Bills win, no matter what the records are.

Yeah, I know, but everyone is calling for Jones to start over EJ, haven't seen too many people wanting EJ

Well as someone else also mentioned, there is another person on the roster who could start, and hes ahead of Jones on the depth chart.................

Thanks for demonstrating how Super smart this fan base is.........

I never mentioned playing Jones, just NOT playing Tyrod due to the injury clause. It is a huge risk, with a spindly QB still running options and taking huge hits every game, especially one who gets $27M if he tears an ACL or has a shoulder injury that takes 4 months to recover.

THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GO WITH JONES RIGHT NOW, THEY BELIEVE HE IS STILL TOO RAW, HE WAS DRAFTED AS A LONGER TERM PROJECT AND THE BILLS STAFF/FRONT OFFICE KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE IN HIM RIGHT NOW

Who negotiates these stupid contracts? The Niners and Kap had the same thing in his contract before they renegotiated it. Word was that was why they stuck with Gabbert for so long. They didn't want Kap to get injured and be stuck with him for another year.

The injury guarantee is pretty standard is these contracts now, especially ones with the second bonus structure. His agent would never get another client if it was not included. So ain't blaming Overdorf for this one, unlike the Darius contract with no clawbacks for suspensions and behaviour etc. And make no mistake, it is Overdorf who writes the contracts, not Whaley.

But there are too many people in that organization right now thinking about surviving 2016...No one on Rex's staff is thinking about what is best for next year...Or what is best for Cardale...

This has been a problem in the Bills organization for years. And they hired REX knowing he was the pinnacle of a person thinking about his own self interest first and foremost. Lack of foresight has been the problem in the organization for years. Lack of planning and being reactive instead of being proactive. The next season effectively started after the last loss. This is already the 2017 preseason, but the organization is too stubborn to accept it. Wasting time and effort on the lost cause of the 2016 season instead of working positively for future success in the 2017 season is typical of the dysfunctional Bills organization.

Edited by simpleman

I wonder if the Bills buy insurance to offset/cover injuries? In other words, if Tyrod blows a knee and gets his full payment I wonder if an insurer would actually be on the hook for the full payment and not the Bills.

you've hit the nail on the head. I have a friend who's brother in-law sells this type of insurance to MLB teams.

This tells me everybody is getting pink slips.

Ryan and Taylor get to play out the year.

If Whaley were to stick around, you'd see Cardale Jones out there, Tyrod Taylor in Griffin-wrap and an interim coach.

To me, the lack of input from the FO or the owners is deafening.

I see this as Rex and TT being gone. Whaley will be back. In my mind Pegs is saying to Rex: here you go, have your guy. 3 more games. And even when we blow CLE and the other teams out, TT's numbers will still be horrid. Pegs can fire Rex and a new HC will be more likely to come as he will know he will be able to run the ship, even if it's into the ground.

After 5 minutes of debate among myselves in spare time I want EJ Manuel to start and to me there is no other reasonable desire for Jones or Taylor

Manuel is a backup QB at best. He is an impending FA. We are likely done with Taylor or if not we need a decent backup. We don't need to rush Jones, he is going to be here a while and still not likely an answer for 2017.

EJ Manuel could and should have more impact on our roster as a backup QB in 2017 than anyone.

We need to see if Manuel has anything he can offer us for 2017 as a backup. We need to do that now and it won't happen because Rex needs wins for his only hope to stay and tied his horse to Taylor. If Rex wanted to do the best thing for this team he would not start Taylor. He would start anyone else to see what's in the toolbag.

But Rex is a damn disaster who needs to drive his truck in to the damn lake with this dumbass brother tied to it.

you've hit the nail on the head. I have a friend who's brother in-law sells this type of insurance to MLB teams.

I see this as Rex and TT being gone. Whaley will be back. In my mind Pegs is saying to Rex: here you go, have your guy. 3 more games. And even when we blow CLE and the other teams out, TT's numbers will still be horrid. Pegs can fire Rex and a new HC will be more likely to come as he will know he will be able to run the ship, even if it's into the ground.

What about the injury risk?

Yes they do have insurance

After 5 minutes of debate among myselves in spare time I want EJ Manuel to start and to me there is no other reasonable desire for Jones or Taylor

Manuel is a backup QB at best. He is an impending FA. We are likely done with Taylor or if not we need a decent backup. We don't need to rush Jones, he is going to be here a while and still not likely an answer for 2017.

EJ Manuel could and should have more impact on our roster as a backup QB in 2017 than anyone.

We need to see if Manuel has anything he can offer us for 2017 as a backup. We need to do that now and it won't happen because Rex needs wins for his only hope to stay and tied his horse to Taylor. If Rex wanted to do the best thing for this team he would not start Taylor. He would start anyone else to see what's in the toolbag.

But Rex is a damn disaster who needs to drive his truck in to the damn lake with this dumbass brother tied to it.

What does EJ have to show on this try to absolutely convince you he doesn't have a future as a starting NFL QB.. Why are people willing to toss Tyrod after a decent season last year becuase he has regressed yet give EJ chance after chance

despite prior failings.

But they still lose the cap space.

GENIUS.

A lot of contracts are written that way. Unless it is a major issue he will be cleared by team Drs and no loss of anything.

Only way TT sees the Bench is if Rex is fired.

After all he is coaching for his job of course he is gonna ride with Taylor.

What does EJ have to show on this try to absolutely convince you he doesn't have a future as a starting NFL QB.. Why are people willing to toss Tyrod after a decent season last year becuase he has regressed yet give EJ chance after chance

despite prior failings.

EJ has started a grand total of 16 games in his career yet somehow he's been given "chance after chance" while we still don't know enough about Tyrod to toss him aside?

I want to start EJ, not to evaluate him, but because I doubt Jones is ready and I don't want TT to get hurt. It's that simple.

A lot of contracts are written that way. Unless it is a major issue he will be cleared by team Drs and no loss of anything. Only way TT sees the Bench is if Rex is fired.

After all he is coaching for his job of course he is gonna ride with Taylor.

How does that work if it is an injury that takes him past when the option needs to be picked up? Wouldn't they have to exercise the option if he were to suffer a long term injury?

According to Wiki

'If a player has a legitimate long-term injury, his cap hit is still counted; however, the team is permitted to replace him with one or more players whose combined salary is equal to (or less than) that of the injured player, even if the additional players would put the team over the salary cap. If the team's cap room is larger than the injured player's cap hit, they may take on as much as their cap room; however, the injured player may not return to play until the team is again compliant with the original cap.'

So if Tyrod is severely injured in the next 3 games, never plays again, gets his money then

An insurer probably pays him, in 2017 the Bills can use the $16 million cap hit and 2018 the $17 million cap hit to sign someone else.

I don't claim to understand this stuff, but if this is the case the risk of playing Tyrod does not seem too bad.

** so the $27 million being thrown around is his guaranteed money for the next 2 years ** I think?

Edited by driddles

This guy isn't an NFL quarterback. He doesn't have the skill or temperament to win. Did you guys see Tom Brady lose his mind after an incompletion on a deep ball to Edelman? That's called being competitive. Tyrod lofts 3 terrible passes per series and then just goes to sit quietly on the sideline.

To keep EJ Manuel next year, the Bills will be required to pay him over $11 million next season. That's what the Bills had to pay Gilmore when opting to pursue the club option they possessed. Needless to say, the Bills will not do this. He will not be in Buffalo in 2017 unless he hits the open market and decides to come back to Buffalo. The chances of that happening are close to zero.

EJ has started a grand total of 16 games in his career yet somehow he's been given "chance after chance" while we still don't know enough about Tyrod to toss him aside?

I want to start EJ, not to evaluate him, but because I doubt Jones is ready and I don't want TT to get hurt. It's that simple.

MDH: He is not good. It's obvious, at least in my opinion. Most of the NFL seems to think similarly. I don't like Marrone, but he knows more than I do. Rex isn't a fan either.

This guy isn't an NFL quarterback. He doesn't have the skill or temperament to win. Did you guys see Tom Brady lose his mind after an incompletion on a deep ball to Edelman? That's called being competitive. Tyrod lofts 3 terrible passes per series and then just goes to sit quietly on the sideline.

That's your measurement? Reaction after a Int? You're talking about our QB who takes more hellacious hits in a QRT trying to stretch out drives with his legs than Brady does in a year? What a@#@# joke statement that is

It's amazing to me that the QB who has provided us with the best play from that position in a decade is being @#@## on so bad by fans

Yes he has faults and isn't a top tier QB but Tyrod has led this team to 6 wins and in the losses had us up in 3rd quarter in three of the biggest games we played Mia, NYJ and Oak

If this defense makes a single stand in one of those games we are possibly talking playoffs

1. Defense

2. Coaching

3.Offense

In that order in terms of what needs to be fixed

If Tyrod is mediocre than the Defense should be categorized as "Dumpster Fire"

Edited by Nostradumbass

Like I said.

You put this offense with the 2014 defense and they are a playoff team.

Wasn't that the blueprint to win when Rex was hired?

Yes unfortunately NFL coaches are burdened with a disproportionate sense of their own worth/ability and it behooves them to ever accept that something isn't broker and should be left alone

In the next set of coaching interviews a question should be asked "what do you think of the Bills running game?"

Any coach that answers "It's good but I can make it better" should be scratched from the list

That's your measurement? Reaction after a Int? You're talking about our QB who takes more hellacious hits in a QRT trying to stretch out drives with his legs than Brady does in a year? What a@#@# joke statement that is

It's amazing to me that the QB who has provided us with the best play from that position in a decade is being @#@## on so bad by fans

Yes he has faults and isn't a top tier QB but Tyrod has led this team to 6 wins and in the losses had us up in 3rd quarter in three of the biggest games we played Mia, NYJ and Oak

If this defense makes a single stand in one of those games we are possibly talking playoffs

1. Defense

2. Coaching

3.Offense

In that order in terms of what needs to be fixed

If Tyrod is mediocre than the Defense should be categorized as "Dumpster Fire"

I take it you're OK with being 32nd in passing in the NFL...

Imagine if this team was, say, 20th in passing. Think we could have won those games? I do.

EJM was a QB that Buddy and Doug talked themselves into. Buddy freely admitted that he had reservations about EJM on film, but it was after he talked to him that he started to come around. I'm sure EJM is a nice guy and said a lot of great things, but Nix should've believed his eyes. Unfortunately, Nix had also driven the bus into a cul-de-sac. He didn't have many options and had to roll the dice.

And that underscores the lack of strategic thinking in the organization. Instead of drafting and developing guys, this team has been of the treadmill of letting players go, rather than paying them, and having to draft to patch holes. Multiply that by the fact that draft picks don't work out anywhere close to 100% of the time, and the team is always playing guys from the "Modrak Wheelhouse" on the field. 6th and 7th rounders, UDFAs, and street FAs no other team wanted. And the everything-is-fine narrative offered is that this is somehow doing a really terrific job.

But back to QB. If the Bills had drafted a backup QB with the intention of having Chan Gailey mold him into his starting QB, then we might actually have a QB. But they didn't. Instead they spent their drafts trying to switch to a 3-4 and then a Miami defense and then ...

To keep EJ Manuel next year, the Bills will be required to pay him over $11 million next season. That's what the Bills had to pay Gilmore when opting to pursue the club option they possessed. Needless to say, the Bills will not do this. He will not be in Buffalo in 2017 unless he hits the open market and decides to come back to Buffalo. The chances of that happening are close to zero.

MDH: He is not good. It's obvious, at least in my opinion. Most of the NFL seems to think similarly. I don't like Marrone, but he knows more than I do. Rex isn't a fan either.

the bills can let him go to free agency then sign him back. We do not have to do that. We would have already had to do that actually to my knieledhe

I'm really having trouble understanding this one. I don't get angry anymore, because I realize that the majority of the decisions made by this organization are usually bad.

However, why in the world are they starting Tyrod? If he wins against the terrible competition coming up, our draft position suffers. Virtually everyone has decided he's not good enough to get to and win in the playoffs, and there's several rumors that he won't be kept. So, we lose draft position and don't gain a thing.

So, there's no down-side to starting Cardale. If he shows REAL (not the Chris Brown / Russ Brandon / John Murphy-fueled false hope) promise, great. If he's ok, great as well, at least we start to know what we have. If he's terrible, we lose and our draft position gets better. NO DOWNSIDE.

If I was Pegula, I'm not sure how the hell I'm convinced that starting Tyrod is the right move.

despite prior failings.

Here is my stance: IF, and ONLY if the FO has already decided to officially NOT pickup Taylors option, then I would sit him and let EJ play. Here are my reasons:

1. If they are truly done with Taylor, which none of us know one way or the other as its all just speculation, then there is no value in playing him the last 3 games other than he gives us best chance to win most likely.

2. Season is done essentially, so winning isn't important anymore as draft position is more valuable now that playoffs are all but gone.

3. EJ has been a class act, serious class act, and never complained, always supported Taylor, did everything asked of him, and worked his tail off his whole time in Buffalo. He has had moments of potential, it wasnt all bad. He is about to be a FA, why not give him a chance to show he is worth looking at in FA next year? Reward him with a shot to show he is worth looking at to compete for a starting job somewhere next year. If he fails, it doesnt hurt us as it only improves our draft position. If he does good, then he may be worth bringing back next year to compete for a starting or backup spot given we only have Cardale if Taylor is gone. So we literally have nothing to lose either way. Its not about believing he will do well, its more like who cares if he does or does not, we benefit either way and reward the kid for what he's attempted to give to this franchise.

Now, if the team has NOT made up its mind on Taylor, then you should absolutely stick with him the final 3 games to help them with their final decision. Lets not forget, they could always not pick up the option and bring him back cheaper too if he was willing to do so.

Here is my stance: IF, and ONLY if the FO has already decided to officially NOT pickup Taylors option, then I would sit him and let EJ play. Here are my reasons:

1. If they are truly done with Taylor, which none of us know one way or the other as its all just speculation, then there is no value in playing him the last 3 games other than he gives us best chance to win most likely.

2. Season is done essentially, so winning isn't important anymore as draft position is more valuable now that playoffs are all but gone.

3. EJ has been a class act, serious class act, and never complained, always supported Taylor, did everything asked of him, and worked his tail off his whole time in Buffalo. He has had moments of potential, it wasnt all bad. He is about to be a FA, why not give him a chance to show he is worth looking at in FA next year? Reward him with a shot to show he is worth looking at to compete for a starting job somewhere next year. If he fails, it doesnt hurt us as it only improves our draft position. If he does good, then he may be worth bringing back next year to compete for a starting or backup spot given we only have Cardale if Taylor is gone. So we literally have nothing to lose either way. Its not about believing he will do well, its more like who cares if he does or does not, we benefit either way and reward the kid for what he's attempted to give to this franchise.

Now, if the team has NOT made up its mind on Taylor, then you should absolutely stick with him the final 3 games to help them with their final decision. Lets not forget, they could always not pick up the option and bring him back cheaper too if he was willing to do so.

What would you do if you were in Ryan's shoes? If he gets booted at the end of the season you think he has a better shot at getting a new gig coming from a team that is 9-7 or coming from a team that completely collapsed and finished losing 5 in a row and finishing at 6-10?.

What would you do if you were in Ryan's shoes? If he gets booted at the end of the season you think he has a better shot at getting a new gig coming from a team that is 9-7 or coming from a team that completely collapsed and finished losing 5 in a row and finishing at 6-10?.

Rex isn't going to another team, he's going straight to a booth in NY and he's going to collect two paychecks.