A few thoughts about the Steelers Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

Finally got a snowy game in December with the chance to keep our slim playoff hopes alive as well as save some jobs, but the Bills didn't seem to show up and we are in typical end of season question mode.

1. Attitude - With what was on the line, you would hope to have seen the same Bills team that came out against the Seahawks on Monday night. Instead, the same Bills that played the second half against the Raiders. Even Shady, who is normally our biggest sparkplug, just didn't have his mojo. I'm not going to pretend to know what happens in the locker room and at the front office, but this was a very dejected team from the opening snap. Even if we win out, I think the tone has been set about this for the season and Rex's tenure. They didn't show up today and played like they could see the writing on the wall.

2. Carpenter - I have to get this out of the way early because I'm just over it and don't want to think about it anymore. The missed extra point showed up again and ever worst, the worst onside kick attempt I've ever seen. That kick was the perfect example of the overall game. When it was all on the line, the execution was beyond horrible. I'm completely fine with bringing real competition in for kicker next year.

3. Tyrod - I could go at TT from a bunch of different angles today. Depending on the drive, either he was horrible with his inability to run the ball, overthrow WR's, or holding the ball too long. On the flip side, you could also point out the drives where he had absolutely no time to throw the ball or his WR's just dropped catchable passes. This is another feast game for the TT haters and deservedly so. I'm still on the bandwagon of picking up his option because it's cheap and I think our new coach (more on that later) could have success with him. It's not that I'm in love with TT, I just don't know what better options will present themselves.

4. Lately I've been feeling low

A remedy is what I'm seeking
I take a taste of what's below
Come away to something better
What I want is what I've not got
And what I need
Is all around me
Reaching searching never stop
And I'll say...

5. Brown - I'll be honest, I get confused sometimes as to which Brown was which, but Preston seemed to just absolutely give up out there. I saw him give up on so many plays that I don't know how he didn't get benched. He was just jogging, not fighting through blocks of inferior opponents. It was disgraceful.

6. Gilmore - Looks like Gilmore played this season like a chess game. He's making all the right moves at the right time and will have a nice little statline by the end of the season. But in all fairness, he played a great game and his INT wouldn't made more of a difference in a competitive game. I think he's all but gone after the season as he will get the contract we are unwilling to pay.

7. Defensive Line - I don't know if they gameplan is to rush 3 or 4 and drop everyone into coverage, but the lack of defensive pressure we are getting is alarming. I could make excuses last week with the quality of Oakland's line, but this week was terrible. Big Ben had all day to pick us apart, especially on 3rd down, and that's what he did. How we led the league in sacks is beyond me and I want to know where all that money spent on these guys is going.

8. Offensive Scheme and WR's - Finally looking forward to a somewhat healthy wide receiver team and we saw drops, 5 yard hitch routes, and very little deep shots. It was incredibly frustrating to watch the Steelers offense come on the field after ours and show us how it can be done. I think Lynn has done a decent job, but I'm starting to think that he doesn't know how to make a complete gameplan. It's either short or long balls. Home runs or strike outs.

9. Bell - 300 all purpose yards and the 2nd 200 yard rusher against the Bills this season (a record btw). His patience and field vision was great to see. He's a very smart runner and doesn't look like he's got a big gain, and then he does. All of his yard were calculated and the type of game that I think Shady is capable of. Either way, the one positive thing today was being able to watch an athlete of his caliber.

10. Rex - Sorry Rex, but it's time to go. This team has given you all it can and you've shown all you can do. Maybe it's the curse of the Ralph, who knows. But there is absolutely no signs of this getting any better. Your only strength is our biggest weakness and your coaches are all products of Rex. Only a full house cleaning will get it done.

With that, I'm officially on the Todd Haley bandwagon. I think Haley can do good things with our offense as it is. If he wants to bring in another QB, I'd shut up and trust his judgement. On defense, I don't think he can do much worse. I think he is an obtainable target and would give me hope immediately going into the next season.

That's it guys. This was a tough one as it was an ugly loss with a score that didn't come close to reflecting how the game actually was. Just no effort across the board and you would think they got eliminated weeks ago and weren't getting paid.

First time in my life that I see a running back walking for so many yards against an NFL defense, the guy danced all day behind his OL until he found a gap to walk through it. It was not until the fourth quarter that we decided to run blitz Bell.

Pathetic effort and patetic timing with the adjustments.

The fans gave up on Rex a long time ago.

It appears the front office has as well

And certainly the players have, by evidence of their play today.

I like the Haley idea, but I'm sure there will be "a thorough search for the best available candidate." . . . Jim Schwartz anyone?

First time in my life that I see a running back walking for so many yards against an NFL defense, the guy danced all day behind his OL until he found a gap to walk through it. It was not until the fourth quarter that we decided to run blitz Bell.

Pathetic effort and patetic timing with the adjustments.

rewatch that play and see Gilmore getting blocked into the second row . . . it is pathetic

The fans gave up on Rex a long time ago.

It appears the front office has as well

And certainly the players have, by evidence of their play today.

I like the Haley idea, but I'm sure there will be "a thorough search for the best available candidate." . . . Jim Schwartz anyone?

I really believe we need to go offensive minded for our next coach. I think an average, simple scheme coach will improve our defense.

We need to keep the systems togheter and get better leaders of men. Entering the game we were a team fighting for a very little chance at the post-season and we saw nothing, no fight until we scored a garbage TD. Rather pathetic.

Finally got a snowy game in December with the chance to keep our slim playoff hopes alive as well as save some jobs, but the Bills didn't seem to show up and we are in typical end of season question mode.

1. Attitude - With what was on the line, you would hope to have seen the same Bills team that came out against the Seahawks on Monday night. Instead, the same Bills that played the second half against the Raiders. Even Shady, who is normally our biggest sparkplug, just didn't have his mojo. I'm not going to pretend to know what happens in the locker room and at the front office, but this was a very dejected team from the opening snap. Even if we win out, I think the tone has been set about this for the season and Rex's tenure. They didn't show up today and played like they could see the writing on the wall.

2. Carpenter - I have to get this out of the way early because I'm just over it and don't want to think about it anymore. The missed extra point showed up again and ever worst, the worst onside kick attempt I've ever seen. That kick was the perfect example of the overall game. When it was all on the line, the execution was beyond horrible. I'm completely fine with bringing real competition in for kicker next year.

3. Tyrod - I could go at TT from a bunch of different angles today. Depending on the drive, either he was horrible with his inability to run the ball, overthrow WR's, or holding the ball too long. On the flip side, you could also point out the drives where he had absolutely no time to throw the ball or his WR's just dropped catchable passes. This is another feast game for the TT haters and deservedly so. I'm still on the bandwagon of picking up his option because it's cheap and I think our new coach (more on that later) could have success with him. It's not that I'm in love with TT, I just don't know what better options will present themselves.

4. Lately I've been feeling low

A remedy is what I'm seeking

I take a taste of what's below

Come away to something better

What I want is what I've not got

And what I need

Is all around me

Reaching searching never stop

And I'll say...

5. Brown - I'll be honest, I get confused sometimes as to which Brown was which, but Preston seemed to just absolutely give up out there. I saw him give up on so many plays that I don't know how he didn't get benched. He was just jogging, not fighting through blocks of inferior opponents. It was disgraceful.

6. Gilmore - Looks like Gilmore played this season like a chess game. He's making all the right moves at the right time and will have a nice little statline by the end of the season. But in all fairness, he played a great game and his INT wouldn't made more of a difference in a competitive game. I think he's all but gone after the season as he will get the contract we are unwilling to pay.

7. Defensive Line - I don't know if they gameplan is to rush 3 or 4 and drop everyone into coverage, but the lack of defensive pressure we are getting is alarming. I could make excuses last week with the quality of Oakland's line, but this week was terrible. Big Ben had all day to pick us apart, especially on 3rd down, and that's what he did. How we led the league in sacks is beyond me and I want to know where all that money spent on these guys is going.

8. Offensive Scheme and WR's - Finally looking forward to a somewhat healthy wide receiver team and we saw drops, 5 yard hitch routes, and very little deep shots. It was incredibly frustrating to watch the Steelers offense come on the field after ours and show us how it can be done. I think Lynn has done a decent job, but I'm starting to think that he doesn't know how to make a complete gameplan. It's either short or long balls. Home runs or strike outs.

9. Bell - 300 all purpose yards and the 2nd 200 yard rusher against the Bills this season (a record btw). His patience and field vision was great to see. He's a very smart runner and doesn't look like he's got a big gain, and then he does. All of his yard were calculated and the type of game that I think Shady is capable of. Either way, the one positive thing today was being able to watch an athlete of his caliber.

10. Rex - Sorry Rex, but it's time to go. This team has given you all it can and you've shown all you can do. Maybe it's the curse of the Ralph, who knows. But there is absolutely no signs of this getting any better. Your only strength is our biggest weakness and your coaches are all products of Rex. Only a full house cleaning will get it done.

With that, I'm officially on the Todd Haley bandwagon. I think Haley can do good things with our offense as it is. If he wants to bring in another QB, I'd shut up and trust his judgement. On defense, I don't think he can do much worse. I think he is an obtainable target and would give me hope immediately going into the next season.

That's it guys. This was a tough one as it was an ugly loss with a score that didn't come close to reflecting how the game actually was. Just no effort across the board and you would think they got eliminated weeks ago and weren't getting paid.

Nice summary of misery. One minor quibble on (9) - Bell. That wasn't really the kind of game Shady is capable of. Oh, he's more than capable of breaking big runs and maybe even hitting 200 rushing, or 200 combined rushing + receiving. But as far as just handing the game over to him, play after play, first down after first down ... no. Shady is more CJ Spiller 2012 than Bell 2016 -- an electric player who might just break off a huge play at any time, but also a guy who'll make negative yards multiple times per game. Shady is a very valuable running back, but he's not nearly as valuable as Bell.

I believe if Bill reads these he'd be in agreement.

How can a team with their whole season on the line look so out coached & play with so little heart? Ryan boys have to go. TT take your place on the bench.

Nice summary of misery. One minor quibble on (9) - Bell. That wasn't really the kind of game Shady is capable of. Oh, he's more than capable of breaking big runs and maybe even hitting 200 rushing, or 200 combined rushing + receiving. But as far as just handing the game over to him, play after play, first down after first down ... no. Shady is more CJ Spiller 2012 than Bell 2016 -- an electric player who might just break off a huge play at any time, but also a guy who'll make negative yards multiple times per game. Shady is a very valuable running back, but he's not nearly as valuable as Bell.

We had a Bell like player, Karlos Williams, but he had no brain.

Edited by CSBill

Nice lyrics Virgil.

What a mess it has all become. Missed XP's, botched onside kicks, dropped passes, bad passes, and a defense that couldn't stop the run.

I feel like I did after the second game of the season.

Rex has to go. At this point I would be fine with clearing out all coaching and front office personnel. And the Bills have to find a QB that can throw the ball effectively.

Also, fire whoever was responsible for not knowing how to properly remove snow from the field....in Buffalo.

#1 Attitude

I don't know...

How many people expected them to win this game? How many people (like me) knew these Bills weren't playoff material weeks ago?

They didn't look uninspired, they looked like the same lower middle class team they have been all season (and pretty much for the last 17 years).

So I wasn't expecting them to play like they were laying it all on the line, "it's now or never" etc. They would have done that awhile ago, because it's not just about being out of it "mathematically", it's about being out of it realistically.

They have been out of it realistically for some time now, and they knew it.

They have not been improving, and it's time to bring in a new coach.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I was at the game and the Bills looked they were shuffling around afraid they were going slip on the snow. We looked like a Florida team playing in snow for the first time.

D looked like it was playing 1/2 speed. I hate to complain when D gets 3 turnovers, but I will anyway. Gutless pig performance.

I was at the game and the Bills looked they were shuffling around afraid they were going slip on the snow. We looked like a Florida team playing in snow for the first time.

D looked like it was playing 1/2 speed. I hate to complain when D gets 3 turnovers, but I will anyway. Gutless pig performance.

Agree 100%. And instead of tackling they were mostly just hurling themselves into piles.

I've really grown to hate many of the players and coaches on this particular team. There is no leadership, no accountability, and no heart. Dammit at least Fred Jackson would be prowling the sidelines motivating the guys. They don't have a single player like that dude anymore. And the coaches are barely putting in the work to prepare - it's pretty obvious that the Ryans are just coasting their way to the Fox NFL Pregame Show.

It's really depressing and these great fans and great owners deserve better. F you Rex.

Also F you Preston Brown and F you Dan Carpenter and F you Charles Clay. You three guys suck at your jobs.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I watched the game until it put me to sleep. The Steelers had few problems with the weather conditions. This showed how unprepared the Bills were for a big game. Or maybe that was last week against Oakland where they were unprepared for a big game. Of maybe so many other games this season where they were unprepared. It begins and ends with the head coach. Its time to move on again.

Just a word on Bell. I kept yelling at the TV and saying "No you idiots, you don't tackle bell up high, you take out his legs, just like Fred Jackson" AARRGGHHH He reminds me of Freddie, (I know I know Fred was never THIS productive) but they run very much alike, IMO. You can't tackle this kid Bell anywhere above his waist, you'll lose that battle, everytime. The sad part is, if I know this, why don't our defensive geniuses?

Tim-

For all those of you suggesting Todd Haley - do you remember how awful he was in Kansas City? He has a career record of 19-26. He is a self absorbed hothead with a poor temperament.

This is the guy that fired Chan in the preseason. I mean, what could you have possibly seen in the preseason that you didn't see in the offseason that would force you to make that kind of move? Rex fired Roman early in the season, but at least in that case he saw two real football games with the starters in the entire time.

The Steelers offense is fantastic as was the Cardinals under his watch. He's been with a consistent winning franchise and can see how it's done.

I think he's worth another chance and he definitely won't be friends with the players. His performance is as proven as you could want.

I'm also okay with Josh McDaniels.

The Steelers offense is fantastic as was the Cardinals under his watch. He's been with a consistent winning franchise and can see how it's done.

I think he's worth another chance and he definitely won't be friends with the players. His performance is as proven as you could want.

I'm also okay with Josh McDaniels.

The thing Haley has going against him is getting a third opportunity. Generally you get two opportunities If you can prove yourself. Three are pretty rare. I know John Fox has and there has been a few, but teams seem to shy away from hiring coaches after getting fired twice

Even the field crew sucked today, how in the world did they get so much black rubber all over the place

yep

that's the same turf they have at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. The field is made up of those rubber pellets from ground up tires. The pro led they had I. Toronto was balls being hit and the pellets spraying up on to the field and getting into players faces/eyes. After a while the rubber was supposed to compact and spray less. I was surprised at how much came up just from clearing the field of snow

For all those of you suggesting Todd Haley - do you remember how awful he was in Kansas City? He has a career record of 19-26. He is a self absorbed hothead with a poor temperament.

This is the guy that fired Chan in the preseason. I mean, what could you have possibly seen in the preseason that you didn't see in the offseason that would force you to make that kind of move? Rex fired Roman early in the season, but at least in that case he saw two real football games with the starters in the entire time.

and people keep calling for Schwartz, did anyone see his time coaching the Lions?

Thanks for calling our Preston Brown

He was absolutely dreadful today

it was significant.

Virgil, thank you for picking up the ball, I very much enjoy your entries here!

:thumbsup:

Agree 100%. And instead of tackling they were mostly just hurling themselves into piles.

I've really grown to hate many of the players and coaches on this particular team. There is no leadership, no accountability, and no heart. Dammit at least Fred Jackson would be prowling the sidelines motivating the guys. They don't have a single player like that dude anymore. And the coaches are barely putting in the work to prepare - it's pretty obvious that the Ryans are just coasting their way to the Fox NFL Pregame Show.

It's really depressing and these great fans and great owners deserve better. F you Rex.

Also F you Preston Brown and F you Dan Carpenter and F you Charles Clay. You three guys suck at your jobs.

stuff makes me irritable sometimes

Edited by 3rdand12

I cant believe ive watched this team for +30yrs and i was fooled yet again. Ive kepts saying the arrow was pointing up for this franchise overall. I dont know what to think.

Ill say this: if we are to fire Rex, everyone needs to go. Whaley, Russ, and Rex. Im tired of half-assing it with the head coaches. We need to hold those people who hire the HC accountable. Any person with any involvement in actual football operations needs to go. Napalm it.

CJ was not electric. Every time he attempted to run outside it was like getting electrocuted.