If Tyrod and EJ both hit FA market

TSOL

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, say we dont pick up the option on Tyrod, and EJ is cut, like most of us presume he will be. Who gets signed first?

To me it is not a foregone conclusion that Tyrod is so much better, i see significant interest in EJ. I think if they both hit free agency, i think EJ gets picked up first.

Flame away...

my prayers answered :worthy::worthy:

Tyrod gets a sniff at a backup somewhere and EJ gets nothing, CFL maybe.

As of right now I think C Jones and whoever, FA, draft a guy, trade for a guy are the new Bills QBs going forward once the season ends.

Edited by old school

If Taylor will not re-negotiate his contract and walks , try to sign EJ with a good incentive contract.

Keeping someone who at least knows the playbook until a new starter is ready.

PLeezzze.....no more EJ......worst passer the Bills have had in several decades. As a season ticket holder, I see all those long balls missing by 10 yards. EJ can throw it far, but, not accurate like TT. TT has had a few tough outings...but, I have to say, Sammy looks out of sorts and not in the right spot like a guy who was out for 8 games, and didn't practice for two months.....oh yeh....that is his situation. TT would be better with first rate receivers. Woods showed what he can do against Seattle and a couple of others. Unfortunately, he will be gone for BIG bucks after this year. TT needs receivers....and hasn't had them much this year.

So it seems like concensus is that EJ is one of the great Bills busts of all times. Ifhedosent get picked up in the offseason, im fully willing to accept that. But after 14 games hes played under two horrible coaching staffs im not ready to accept it yet.

CFL... 😂 good one,old school!

So it seems like concensus is that EJ is one of the great Bills busts of all times. Ifhedosent get picked up in the offseason, im fully willing to accept that. But after 14 games hes played under two horrible coaching staffs im not ready to accept it yet.

CFL... good one,old school!

Watch and see.

Good/bad coaches aside, if a QB has the goods it shows itself regardless. EJ didn't show a thing.

Watch and see.

Good/bad coaches aside, if a QB has the goods it shows itself regardless. EJ didn't show a thing.

My thing is, is i see him as a pocket passer with a big arm, accuracy issues, yes. But with all the people falling all over themselves making excuses for Tyrod, at the same time crucifying EJ, just makes no sense to me.

Again, if he dosent get picked up in the offseason, ill be the first to label him one of the all time great Bills busts.

I can think of three teams right off that need a starting QB. Browns, Jets and Rams. Tyrod will be the belle of the free agency ball.

No way any of those teams bring TT in as anything other than a back-up/stop-gap solution. Cleveland will take a qb with their first pick, Goff will get at least two more years to start in LA and the Jets will be a competition between Hack, Petty and maybe Geno, or Romo. I can't see any team in the league handing over it's starting job to TT, at least not a team that has watched any game tape. Edited by mannc

No way any of those teams bring TT in as anything other than a back-up/stop-gap solution. Cleveland will take a qb with their first pick, Goff will get at least two more years to start in LA and the Jets will be a competition between Hack, Petty and maybe Geno, or Romo. I can't see any team in the league handing over it's starting job to TT, at least not a team that has watched any game tape.

Taylor is considered a middle of the pack starter outside of Buffalo fan boards. He will be heavily courted. Wait and see.

Taylor is considered a middle of the pack starter outside of Buffalo fan boards. He will be heavily courted. Wait and see.

It's certainly possible. There's not going to be much quality available in the free agent market this year. I just don't think anyone is going give Tyrod starter money (roughly what he would be getting if the Bills picked up his option) and hand him the keys to the franchise. I think he'll end up someplace where he has to compete for the job. I think teams like J-ville, Cleveland and SF will take a chance on someone they draft rather than giving Tyrod a rich contract, but I could be wrong.

Doubt it.

Because GM are just falling all over themselves for a QB who

can't throw over the middle

is short

no accuracy

doesn't read defenses

checks down too much

runs out of clean pockets

can't lead a comeback

can't throw for over 200 yards

can't lead a good pass attack despite the NFLs #1 rush attack

it goes on and on, etc.

Edited by old school

Watch and see.

There is exactly a 0% chance , baring injury, that EJ isn't on an NFL roster next year if he wants to play football.

I can pretty much guarantee it

Ok, good luck with that.

There is exactly a 0% chance , baring injury, that EJ isn't on an NFL roster next year if he wants to play football.

He may want to play football still, but it's up to the GMs to let him. CFL baby!

Edited by old school

It's certainly possible. There's not going to be much quality available in the free agent market this year. I just don't think anyone is going give Tyrod starter money (roughly what he would be getting if the Bills picked up his option) and hand him the keys to the franchise. I think he'll end up someplace where he has to compete for the job. I think teams like J-ville, Cleveland and SF will take a chance on someone they draft rather than giving Tyrod a rich contract, but I could be wrong.

What is starter money for a QB these days. $25MM? I could see TT signing for something in Brock Osweiler territory. Still a fat raise.

I've said it all along, EJ Manuel never got a fair shot here. The issues I see with EJ's game are fixable with the right coaching, the issues I see with TT game are hard wired. His football IQ is poor, he can't read defenses, and all I need to prove that case is last week on the one-yard line turning to the sidelines and giving the thumbs up, as if to ask, well does hits look ok to run this play? Sorry, but if a QB (Starting no less) can't read a defense on the 1 yard line knowing what play you're going to run, and the coverage, he's NOT an NFL starting QB, plain and simple. TT apologist can say what they want, but I've seen enough of TT to know he's never going to get this. He'll be a fine backup somewhere, or perhaps start for a mediocre franchise desperate for ANYTHING, but he won't get you to the playoffs, let alone win anything..

I've been a Rex and Whaley supporter, but if these two clowns can't see this in TT, we have more serious issues at 1BDr.

EJ will start for someone next year, take it to the bank!

Tim-

I've said it all along, EJ Manuel never got a fair shot here. The issues I see with EJ's game are fixable with the right coaching, the issues I see with TT game are hard wired. His football IQ is poor, he can't read defenses, and all I need to prove that case is last week on the one-yard line turning to the sidelines and giving the thumbs up, as if to ask, well does hits look ok to run this play? Sorry, but if a QB (Starting no less) can't read a defense on the 1 yard line knowing what play you're going to run, and the coverage, he's NOT an NFL starting QB, plain and simple. TT apologist can say what they want, but I've seen enough of TT to know he's never going to get this. He'll be a fine backup somewhere, or perhaps start for a mediocre franchise desperate for ANYTHING, but he won't get you to the playoffs, let alone win anything..

I've been a Rex and Whaley supporter, but if these two clowns can't see this in TT, we have more serious issues at 1BDr.

EJ will start for someone next year, take it to the bank!

Tim-

:wallbash:

Edited by old school

In all reality, we all know they arent gonna bring EJ back. This team dosent value him one bit. And its INSANE to think they will let them both hit free agency. I just cant see Whaley letting the first and second string QB's go. That would be nuts. So who knows what they will do.

They will probably pick up the option on Tyrod and let lowly Manuel go.

In all reality, we all know they arent gonna bring EJ back. This team dosent value him one bit. And its INSANE to think they will let them both hit free agency. I just cant see Whaley letting the first and second string QB's go. That would be nuts. So who knows what they will do.

They will probably pick up the option on Tyrod and let lowly Manuel go.

I think that's an accurate assessment of what the Bills will do, although I think they will try to renegotiate with Tyrod before deciding to pick up his option. I think there is a decent chance Tyrod agrees to take less money, especially if he doesn't light it up these last four games. Unless the Bills have a Plan B that we don't know about, I don't think they will risk letting both EJ and Tyrod walk.

So, say we dont pick up the option on Tyrod, and EJ is cut, like most of us presume he will be. Who gets signed first?

To me it is not a foregone conclusion that Tyrod is so much better, i see significant interest in EJ. I think if they both hit free agency, i think EJ gets picked up first.

Flame away...

If they both hit the market at the exact same time, without question Tyrod will be pursued first IMO. This board can be overly negative and sometimes crazy in its assessment about Taylor. He has to improve, no doubt, and he does need to earn his spot her over the next 4 games before we truly commit to him with the option. But many are delusional about how hard it is to find a QB and Taylor would be an upgrade for several teams in the NFL right now, and there will not be better QB's available in FA because teams dont let go of good proven QB's. Taylor may not prove to be worth picking up the option on as a big commitment, but that doesnt mean he can't still go help a team on a different deal. Off the top of my head, he would be an upgrade for Cle, Jets, Houston, Jax, and probably even Denver. Teams are enamored with QB's who can make plays with their legs too and the fact he has been missing his best receiving targets most the year is going to cut him some slack.

EJ on the other hand will get a shot somewhere too, but he is a guy a team will bring in to just be a backup or to be another body to compete in an unproven QB situation. No one is going to rush out and sign him to be their starter, and EJ will look for a place he can compete to start.

Edited by Alphadawg7

If they both hit the market at the exact same time, without question Tyrod will be pursued first IMO. This board can be overly negative and sometimes crazy in its assessment about Taylor. He has to improve, no doubt, and he does need to earn his spot her over the next 4 games before we truly commit to him with the option. But many are delusional about how hard it is to find a QB and Taylor would be an upgrade for several teams in the NFL right now, and there will not be better QB's available in FA because teams dont let go of good proven QB's. Taylor may not prove to be worth picking up the option on as a big commitment, but that doesnt mean he can't still go help a team on a different deal. Off the top of my head, he would be an upgrade for Cle, Jets, Houston, Jax, and probably even Denver. Teams are enamored with QB's who can make plays with their legs too and the fact he has been missing his best receiving targets most the year is going to cut him some slack.

EJ on the other hand will get a shot somewhere too, but he is a guy a team will bring in to just be a backup or to be another body to compete in an unproven QB situation. No one is going to rush out and sign him to be their starter, and EJ will look for a place he can compete to start.

Many EJ fans disagree with you on this ;-) He was mishandled by Marrone and Rex and just needs the right team to blossom into the next Joe Montana.

If Taylor will not re-negotiate his contract and walks , try to sign EJ with a good incentive contract.

Keeping someone who at least knows the playbook until a new starter is ready.

That would work.i think this makes sense. 2 of the 3 qbs on this team will be here next year. There will be a qb competition and hopefully we have someone in place whether it be a real OC a real qb coach... or even a head coach we need someone. I dont think identifying a guy is nearly as hard as buffalo makes it. Virtually every team has identified a guy even if for a season or two. We just keep trotting out cast aways. Hoping someone will turn it around. I just hope cardale doesn't get the EJ treatment. He will start off terrible but all he needs is us behind him and a coach that believes in him and let's him learn. Not only he. But the bills will be fine

Who cares. It's either good enough or it's not. It's not IMO.

Let's call a spade a spade right? People always say without tyrod we wouldn't have the wins we do. We aint going to the playoffs so in the end what difference did it make. EJ could have wet the bed. Cardale could have too. Then we could have had a better shot of drafting a viable guy. Tyrod will continue to get us the 10-15 spot in the draft. Thats the equivalent of always being the bridesmaid never the bride. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

The same can be said for Tyrod.

Jets, San Fran, Bears, Denver. Although i wouldnt be surprised to see Elway go for a passer like EJ before they go for a running QB like Tyrod.

If an offensive coach or someone like elway took EJ first Buffalo would not look good at all.

I'd be very curious to see the deal tyro gets on open market. san fran? not in chips system. i'd bet the jets take a look at him. then he smokes us one time next year a la fitzy.

Didnt some rumor come out that chip really liked EJ

I guarantee you that EJ will not be cut by the Bills this offseason.

Wanna bet. Lol jk

Watch and see.

EJ didn't show a thing? C'mon man. How many comebacks does TT have? EJ has two that I can remember, Carolina and Chicago, and should have been two more, if Nuke doesn't get the phantom PI call in London and if Stevie and Chandler can hang onto the ball against the ATL in Toronto. You can argue that EJ doesn't have it, but saying he didn't show a thing is just wrong.

Wanna bet. Lol jk

I'll bet you that EJ won't be cut by the Bills this off-season. But you'll lose, because EJ is a free agent and not under contract to the Bills in the off-season.

He's considered a middle of the pack QB by fans who just see highlights of scrambles and bombs on broken coverage plays, but I doubt NFL GMs are overly impressed.

Sure he'll get contract offers and a chance to compete on some other QB-less team and he might even start. But he's unlikely to ever see a playoff game from a spot other than the bench.

If the Bills can renegotiate with him for a much lower # I'm not opposed to keeping him for another year. Obviously they need to draft someone in the spring.

He's considered a middle of the pack QB by fans who just see highlights of scrambles and bombs on broken coverage plays, but I doubt NFL GMs are overly impressed.

Sure he'll get contract offers and a chance to compete on some other QB-less team and he might even start. But he's unlikely to ever see a playoff game from a spot other than the bench.

If the Bills can renegotiate with him for a much lower # I'm not opposed to keeping him for another year. Obviously they need to draft someone in the spring.

Yep. I'd put money on the fact that he is seen as a low end starter by GMs in the league in the same was ay Fitz was. One of the best 32 but a guy you should always be looking to upgrade.

EJ didn't show a thing? C'mon man. How many comebacks does TT have? EJ has two that I can remember, Carolina and Chicago, and should have been two more, if Nuke doesn't get the phantom PI call in London and if Stevie and Chandler can hang onto the ball against the ATL in Toronto. You can argue that EJ doesn't have it, but saying he didn't show a thing is just wrong.

I'll bet you that EJ won't be cut by the Bills this off-season. But you'll lose, because EJ is a free agent and not under contract to the Bills in the off-season.

Thats why i said wanna bet. Because he wont be in buffalo this offseason. I knew he was an UFA.

PLeezzze.....no more EJ......worst passer the Bills have had in several decades. As a season ticket holder, I see all those long balls missing by 10 yards. EJ can throw it far, but, not accurate like TT. TT has had a few tough outings...but, I have to say, Sammy looks out of sorts and not in the right spot like a guy who was out for 8 games, and didn't practice for two months.....oh yeh....that is his situation. TT would be better with first rate receivers. Woods showed what he can do against Seattle and a couple of others. Unfortunately, he will be gone for BIG bucks after this year. TT needs receivers....and hasn't had them much this year.

TT had first rate receivers. Woods and Sammy are first rate. For two years Woods was talked down here. It wasn't his fault the QB couldn't get him the ball. If the ball was thrown his way, more often than not it was off target. Not until Sammy was out this year and TT started targeting Woods, could you see just how good Woods is. Most here think Woods is a 3rd receiver. I think he is a 1B. He should sign with the Pats. If Brady can do that with Hogan, I can only imagine what he can do with Woods.

This is Clays problem also. I'd like to see a stat on how often Clay is open and doesn't get looked at.

EJ is likely not going to be signed by anyone to start or really compete for a starting job. Given that he isn't likely going to be a starter, teams will wait until after the draft to see what their QB situation is before exploring EJ as their backup. If Tyrod is a FA, I can certainly see a team looking at him as a starting option but it would have to be a specific type of team. A scrambling QB is not the first vision most coaches have for their offense. Given you'd have a tailor (pun intended) your offense to his skills, signing him requires a bit of an upheaval in your team. Is there another run-first/QB option team looking for a starter? Seattle might like TT as a backup. SF/Chip probably sees him as something of a downgrade from Kap when healthy.

I just don't see a team right now that fits with his skills and with a coach looking to change their offense that much. He's an upgraded Tim Tebow in my mind.

Couple of things. E,j will certainly go somewhere are a number 2. Odds are at some point due to injury he get a start. If he plays well ......

As for taylor it doesn't matter who you he play with. He can't throw /see over the middle. He has terrible accuracy on short to intermediate throws. He is the guy you start when you have nothing else. He is the guy who get you to 8-8 .