We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is logic in that take...

I just doubt Tyrod and his agent will agree...Fitz got $12 mil with the chance to bump that to $15 mil...I think if it's a re-do, one year thing, TT's agent will want at least that...And I'm guessing the Jets figure that $12 mil was better spent elsewhere now... B-)

Fitz got $12 mill. And it's now known league-wide as a cautionary tale of a team getting getting backed into a corner and signing a contract they never should have signed. You're right, I think, that the Jets wish they had used this year to look at Petty and Hackenberg instead, maybe even Geno.

Edited by Thurman#1

Fitz got $12 mill. And it's now known league-wide as a cautionary tale of a team getting fleeced.

I'm sure Tyrod and his agent won't agree. My guess is that market conditions will wise them up.

We'll see...Should be interesting...I have this inclination to believe not picking up the option will automatically mean they are moving on...But who knows? B-)

We'll see...Should be interesting...I have this inclination to believe not picking up the option will automatically mean they are moving on...But who knows? B-)

You could be right about that. My guess is that they'll re-negotiate and that Tyrod will start next year, and that after the year, we'll all wish they had moved on.

OK.....how about home games and easier teams?

What are the two teams this year where we have truly been blown out?

Patriots

Raiders

Thats it....every other game has been competative (even in the jets and fins games we were scoring points and lost by single digits)

Which is the way it usually works out for teams that aren't good enough. They get blown out occasionally but say within single digits in most games. And lose a lot. The average loss is by around 3 points. Single digit losses .... are losses.

@billsupdates

Why Buffalo Bills QB Tyrod Taylor showing his frustration is a good thing: http://trib.al/GUvpkUw

This article was the worst. This reporter is consistently the worst.

"Why showing his frustration is a good thing" becomes "maybe he'll improve." Well, yeah, but maybe not. And if he does, it almost certainly won't be because some reporters frustrated him and he showed his feelings. Awful article.

It's not about "numbers", it's about ability. You can't be disgusted with his ability at X and OK with it at less than X; it's the same ability.

"Value" is largely a media construct and a totally arbitrary concept.

What? Talk to an economist. Value is the opposite of an arbitrary concept. And it has nothing to do with the media beyond the fact that blaming nearly anything on the media makes a lot of people say, "YEAH!!!!"

Not good enough is not good enough.

At any price.

Especially, ESPECIALLY at QB. The idea that his inability to find receivers, hesitancy to throw over the middle, and proclivity to run into sacks is any more tolerable at a cheaper price is weak.

A guy can play or he can't, the concept of "value" is thrown out the window.

IMHO about ten or twelve squads have a guy who is good enough. The rest still have to pay someone.

Value very much includes where a guy ranks and how likely a team is to win the Super Bowl with that guy at QB. And it's nonsense that someone can play or they can't. There are other options. One is that he can't play now but might see the light come on. Drew Brees just couldn't play his first three years or so. Then he could. And there are examples going the other way too, guys who absolutely can play but lose the ability. Chad Pennington is always my favorite example, but there are examples of it happening without injury too. Some people might even argue that Trent Edwards is an example, though I've always doubted that.

. What I can't grasp is your nearly 24x7 bloviating that he is the reason we are not a playoff team. Obviously you think he is good enough at the right price. You obviously don't find it absurd like I do that you waste the time and energy to bash a guy around the clock yet for a few million less he is good to go. He is either Good enough to take this team to the playoffs or NOT at whatever salary he is paid.

I also don't bash him around the clock. I do praise him when he has a good game, good first half, good play

Money saved seems to be more important to him. If Taylor takes a pay cut he's ok with the losing. Me? Not so much.

You guys really just can't grasp to much can you

What? Talk to an economist. Value is the opposite of an arbitrary concept. And it has nothing to do with the media beyond the fact that blaming nearly anything on the media makes a lot of people say, "YEAH!!!!"

Value very much includes where a guy ranks and how likely a team is to win the Super Bowl with that guy at QB. And it's nonsense that someone can play or they can't. There are other options. One is that he can't play now but might see the light come on. Drew Brees just couldn't play his first three years or so. Then he could. And there are examples going the other way too, guys who absolutely can play but lose the ability. Chad Pennington is always my favorite example, but there are examples of it happening without injury too. Some people might even argue that Trent Edwards is an example, though I've always doubted that.

In the NFL sense it most certainly is arbitrary, which is the only context I was referring to. And it has everything to do with the media because NFL personnel people that evaluate talent don't ascribe any dollar amounts when doing so. To them, Tyrod Taylor is simply a collection of various skills assigned to the QB position; to the media, Tyrod Taylor's "performance" dictates whether or not he is worth specific dollar amounts. If he made All Pro, they'd say he is a "steal" at his current salary. Conversely, if he craps the bed, he isn't a good "value" at his current salary.

We are not discussing economic theory as it pertains to world markets here.

This article was the worst. This reporter is consistently the worst.

"Why showing his frustration is a good thing" becomes "maybe he'll improve." Well, yeah, but maybe not. And if he does, it almost certainly won't be because some reporters frustrated him and he showed his feelings. Awful article.

IMHO about ten or twelve squads have a guy who is good enough. The rest still have to pay someone.

I think you're over thinking this a bit as your allusion to "potential" indicates.

I agree it's often nonsense to say that a player can either play or not, but in the context of this discussion about Tyrod Taylor, it makes sense because no matter what dollar amount you pay him, his skills or lack thereof are the same and, after 6 years in the league and two as a starter, that skill set is pretty well defined.

Edited by K-9

I heard him today also. Don't forget he threw ownership in there too. So I think TPEGS is going to have some say in this whole Tyrod saga.

Oh good. Kim will probably decide whether he stays as the Quarterback by how much he knows about the history of downtown Buffalo.

The Bills need to win Sunday against the Steelers and the remaining 3 games after that. If that happens, they will probably sneak into the playoffs and this won't even be a decision...The Bills will pick up the option.

If they don't, for whatever reason, it's likely someone else will sign him for similar money.

The Bills need to win Sunday against the Steelers and the remaining 3 games after that. If that happens, they will probably sneak into the playoffs and this won't even be a decision...The Bills will pick up the option.

If they don't, for whatever reason, it's likely someone else will sign him for similar money.

Even if they win the next 4 games IMO you still have to look at the QB play. Was TT avg 150 yards and blah play like most of the year and the Bills won inspire of him, then why still pick up the option.

not happening

Inspired by the Buffalo News headline "Should he stay or should he go: The Tyrod Debate "

Now, sing in tune to the Clash classic "Should I Stay Or Should I Go"

Darlin' you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time
So you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

It's always tease tease tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees
One day is fine and next is black
So if you want me off your back
Well come on an' let me know
Should I Stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An' if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know

The bold text says to me: let Tyrod go.

I think i'm reversing course......previously sportrac has shown very little dead money after each and every year (team friendly). i'm fine with 1 year $17 mil cap hit and able to get out if I want. but this latest explanation goes against that. this is now saying that after essentially a 2 yr/ $40 mil deal we would still have $10 mil dead money after 2018....that's not good.

we are screwed....don't see how we exercise the option and don't see tyrod staying if free agent. that leaves us with a worse qb situation for 2017....unless we somehow get very lucky in the draft or with cardale.

I think i'm reversing course......previously sportrac has shown very little dead money after each and every year (team friendly). i'm fine with 1 year $17 mil cap hit and able to get out if I want. but this latest explanation goes against that. this is now saying that after essentially a 2 yr/ $40 mil deal we would still have $10 mil dead money after 2018....that's not good.

we are screwed....don't see how we exercise the option and don't see tyrod staying if free agent. that leaves us with a worse qb situation for 2017....unless we somehow get very lucky in the draft or with cardale.

That's what I have been saying all year. People kept throwing SPOTRAC dead cap numbers at me. What they didn't do was account for the Dead Money that would be there if the Option was picked up.

That was always left out of their contract numbers and so glad they did this to clarify for Fans what the contract actually looks like IF the option is picked up.

If I'm running this show I'm not picking up his option, but I would work on negotiating a new contract. I'd also be looking very hard for his replacement. The Bills will have the last week of the league year and the first couple days of he new year to fed a replacement that's better and/or cheaper. Or they could use that leverage to negotiate a new deal with Taylor.

If I'm running this show I'm not picking up his option, but I would work on negotiating a new contract. I'd also be looking very hard for his replacement. The Bills will have the last week of the league year and the first couple days of he new year to fed a replacement that's better and/or cheaper. Or they could use that leverage to negotiate a new deal with Taylor.

I prefer a clean break even though it is into the unknown, but, if he is cut and then signed it needs to be at the Bills terms. Give him a take it or leave it offer. If he leaves so be it, at least you have clarity.

Tyrod Taylor's Bills future will be determined after season ends

The terms of Tyrod Taylor's contract always dictated that a franchise-changing decision would be made by the Buffalo Bills after the season. He signed a six-year, $90 million extension in August, but in reality, it was essentially just a one-year deal.

They'll make the decision on his total body of work, meaning he still has a quarter of the season to state his case. The Bills are also aware that Taylor is only in his second year as a starter, so they aren't rushing to judgment.

If the Bills decide Taylor is not their quarterback of the future, expect them to be active in the veteran quarterback market with a possible eye on Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick also could be on their radar.

Another issue is, Taylor is still young in the football world. He has just 26 starts. The team wants to see more. But if they decide to move on, this team figures to be very active in free agency trying to replace him.

If the Bills continue to score the PPG they got going I'm ok with Tyrod. They can run the double Wing T for all I care. But this Defense is Terrible fix that first. Tyrod not the problem

The issue I have with posts like this (and there are lots) is that people seem to believe there is one magical "THE problem."

The Bills have lots of problems. Yes, D is one of them. Its been a major factor in the Bills struggles this year. But the D being a problem doesn't prevent TT from being one too. They are not mutually exclusive.

I have not been happy with TT's play this season but I'd actually be okay with giving him one more year to see how he does with a healthy WR corps around him. The problem is they can't just give him one more year, they have to make a decision that negatively impacts their cap in a significant way for 3 seasons.

Has anybody seen enough from TT to justify a 3 year cap commitment? Hell, I'd rather slap the franchise tag on him and overpay him for one season that kill the cap for 3.

That's what I have been saying all year. People kept throwing SPOTRAC dead cap numbers at me. What they didn't do was account for the Dead Money that would be there if the Option was picked up.

That was always left out of their contract numbers and so glad they did this to clarify for Fans what the contract actually looks like IF the option is picked up.

Yep. I don't know how many times I have had to explain this. If they take it up they are stuck to him for a minimum of 2 years (and in reality 3).