We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Right, cos Tyrod has never made a bad play. I'm not telling people Brian Hoyer is our saviour..... I just don't understand why some fans don't want to approach with caution the idea we give Tyrod a big deal and tie ourselves to him when he hasn't shown himself to be more than a game manager yet. It's an odd and difficult situation we are in. Normally if you draft a guy you get 4 years to take a view on him, because of the way we acquired Tyrod we get two years. I just don't know that we have seen enough. Hoyer can keep you at .500 at a much reduced cost. Hopefully Tyrod plays a couple of really good games down the stretch and the question goes away... but asking me to evaluate what I see now and get on board with tying myself in for 2 years at $16m.... I can't get there.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, cos Tyrod has never made a bad play. I'm not telling people Brian Hoyer is our saviour..... I just don't understand why some fans don't want to approach with caution the idea we give Tyrod a big deal and tie ourselves to him when he hasn't shown himself to be more than a game manager yet. It's an odd and difficult situation we are in. Normally if you draft a guy you get 4 years to take a view on him, because of the way we acquired Tyrod we get two years. I just don't know that we have seen enough. Hoyer can keep you at .500 at a much reduced cost. Hopefully Tyrod plays a couple of really good games down the stretch and the question goes away... but asking me to evaluate what I see now and get on board with tying myself in for 2 years at $16m.... I can't get there.

I'm fine with the bolded... but please, not Brian Hoyer. :bag:

I'm fine with the bolded... but please, not Brian Hoyer. :bag:

There are other possibilities. Glennon has been mentioned (I'm not a huge Glennon fan I have to say), Keenum, Fitz would fit what I think we should consider but there will be too much water under the bridge there... Bradford might be available but he will probably want money beyond what I'd be willing to (given that in a straight choice I'd stick with Tyrod). Hoyer is just the one of those that has had some success as a starter in the league and in some situations worse than the one he would walk into in Buffalo.

Like I say - my first choice would be Tyrod shutting me up with a couple of good consistent back to back Seattle level games down the stretch. That might back us into the playoffs and it would put this conversation to bed for me. Until I see that consistency I still think it is a debate worth having before I pay him.

And I accept that it is 95% certain Tyrod is our Quarterback next year. If he is I am fine with that - I think he is decent, but I would still want to see progression to justify what he would then be getting paid.

There are other possibilities. Glennon has been mentioned (I'm not a huge Glennon fan I have to say), Keenum, Fitz would fit what I think we should consider but there will be too much water under the bridge there... Bradford might be available but he will probably want money beyond what I'd be willing to (given that in a straight choice I'd stick with Tyrod). Hoyer is just the one of those that has had some success as a starter in the league and in some situations worse than the one he would walk into in Buffalo.

Like I say - my first choice would be Tyrod shutting me up with a couple of good consistent back to back Seattle level games down the stretch. That might back us into the playoffs and it would put this conversation to bed for me. Until I see that consistency I still think it is a debate worth having before I pay him.

And I accept that it is 95% certain Tyrod is our Quarterback next year. If he is I am fine with that - I think he is decent, but I would still want to see progression to justify what he would then be getting paid.

I want none of the names you mentioned, not at all. I'd rather see TT back and have a new, savvy GM use the good old squeeze play to pay him a fair wage. MAKE THE BILLS GREAT AGAIN!

I want none of the names you mentioned, not at all. I'd rather see TT back and have a new, savvy GM use the good old squeeze play to pay him a fair wage. MAKE THE BILLS GREAT AGAIN!

I dont understand why Whaley need to go anywhere.....he has done a pretty good job at what he is supposed to do.

Finding Lorax and Z. Brown for pennies this year are a real feather in his cap.

I wonder if he might find us a corner or a safety in the same way this off season.

Don't you get it? There are like five posters who lump Taylor in with those QB's since Bledsoe and, not coincidentally, all of them believe "Manuel got screwed" and is still a better QB than Taylor as we sit here in December of 2016. They'll never get over it. They harp on the poor performances and disappear after the good ones. They cite the YPG put never acknowledge the rushing prowess or the lack of turnovers or the WINNING or when they do, they mock the starting QB he won against. They are a rare breed who spend countless hours every day bashing the starting QB of a team they supposedly root for on a message board for said team. I don't get it.

Which winning are we talking about again?

There is even less chance we have a new GM than a new Quarterback.

I dont understand why Whaley need to go anywhere.....he has done a pretty good job at what he is supposed to do.

Finding Lorax and Z. Brown for pennies this year are a real feather in his cap.

I wonder if he might find us a corner or a safety in the same way this off season.

Yep. And the Pegulas supposedly have a very good relationship with him.

@PFF

A little blocking would be nice...

CytQS9ZXUAA5Xuy.jpg

There's a lot that can lead to a QB being under pressure. It could be any or all of the following:

- poor blocking

- QB holding onto ball too long

- receivers failing to get open

- QB failing to find open receivers

- defenses blitzing more often because QB does poorly when blitzed/under pressure

- scheme/playcalling, especially long developing pass plays

Edited by BarleyNY

There's a lot that can lead to a QB being under pressure. It could be any or all of the following:

- poor blocking

- QB holding onto ball too long

- receivers failing to get open

- QB failing to find open receivers

- defenses blitzing more often because QB does poorly when blitzed/under pressure

- scheme/playcalling, especially long developing pass plays

I would be surprised if any of these counted in their numbers.

I would be surprised if any of these counted in their numbers.

You can see it with Tannenhill he is well known to hold the ball mich to long

@PFF

A little blocking would be nice...

CytQS9ZXUAA5Xuy.jpg

Funny yet they have Bills OL ranked No 4 entering week 11

4. Buffalo Bills (82.2)

The Bills definitely have an issue on the line, and while RT Jordan Mills threatened to maintain passable play earlier in the season, that has fallen off a cliff lately, as he has recorded two of his worst games in the past three weeks, surrendering 17 total pressures and four sacks against the Dolphins and Seahawkstwo good pass-rushing teams. Elsewhere, though, the line has been solid, and LT Cordy Glenn has yet to surrender a sack or hit on the QB, despite Tyrod Taylor having the leagues highest average time to throw (by some distance, in fact, at 3.05 seconds).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-11/

I'm not sure how they figure this out, but I think our OLine is doing well this year. You don't get the number 1 run offense if you suck at blocking. The problem isn't the pass protection, it's Hotrod holding onto the football too long and running from clean pockets into trouble IMHO.

FYI run blocking is not the same as pass blocking. Most O-Line like to run block.

and he was still better than Tyrod.

Took Blessed 5 years just to hit 60% completion.

Took him 3 years just to get a positive TD:INT ratio.

I'm not in Twitter so I can't see PFF's approach. If you can, please post or link their metrics on this.

I haven't seen an explanation of their philosophy of how they measure QB pressure and it might be proprietary. I'm just going by what makes sense to me.

To try to spin this in another direction does all of the new advanced analytics help or hurt Tyrod vs. the eye test? I know that there is a balance between the 2. The question is if this were 10 years ago and that stuff didn't exist would we think more or less of him? I don't know the answer but thought that it may be a new angle for this discussion.

Romo is 100, always injured and will be expensive, no thanks

I'm all for taking a shot in the draft too - while keeping Tyrod. We have plenty of resources to keep him and draft/groom a QB. Let them compete...if you are so sure one of those rookies can beat out Tyrod then why are you so against keeping Tyrod and drafting one? The money??? Please

And sure a rookie can get us 166 yards passing a game, but can he contribute in the running game? Can he be as effective as Tyrod in the red zone? Will he pass for 250 yards but also throw three INTs a game? There are things Tyrod does that you can't ignore (well, you and others do) that have helped this team win. Again, I do not think Tyrod is gods gift to QBs, I just realize he doesn't provide some benefits that fits our team and is currently the best option going forward

Tyrod also has been sacked 30 times...fourth worst in the league. THe blame is everywhere...Tyrod holds the ball too long and can't see his WRs getting open; WRs are not getting open that often; do you even call them WRs; Coaching staff holding him back....RT is plain just not good and even Glenn has been below average the past couple of weeks.

If we don't pick up the option on Tyrod, the Jets will snag him in a heartbeat. I say we keep all 3 of our QBs if we keep the coaching staff.

EJ will not be re-signing back here. The Bills will have to get a 2nd QB either in the draft or in the Veteran FA market.