Jerry Jones is a better GM than Whaley

You know, I am starting to come around to your way of thinking Fergy. I mean Whaley was pretty dumb for drafting James Hardy, trading up for Roscoe, and really dumb when he traded 2 first for JP Loserman. Not to mention that contract he gave Fitz, dumping Bledsoe for JP, etc.

#ThanksObama

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dak Prescott (will be stuck in wage scale for four years)

Zeke Elliot (monster RB with four more years)

Jaylon Smith (Top 10 talent...wait and see for 2017)

O Line ...enough said

Jerry has assembled a strong young team. Is already re-doing some O line contracts, defense may be suspect, but look what he assembled in one or two years.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

Tyrod

Old Shady with a lot of $$$

Dareus (3rd pick, lots o' $$$, groin is ouchy)

Sammy (gave away three first round picks for a WR with a hurt foot)

Lorax (love the guy but age will catch up to him)

Shaq (missed 7 games)

Gilmore...(fill in the blank)

Jerry has every reason to be named "GM of the Year"

Jerry got lucky for once it only took him how long ? Give Whaley the next 10 years to screw with getting the players he wants then you can talk .

Whaley has 3 years in comparison .

First off, this post is stupid. Second, your information isnt accurate. Third, Whaley didn't pick all those players. Fourth you cleverly left off terrible deals Jerry has done, including the dumbest QB contract for a QB not named Kapernick ever in his deal with Romo. Fifth, Dallas team underachieves more than the Bills do on a yearly basis in which they are always seem to be a preseason SB contender then get no where near it.

Now lets look at some of your comparisons...the Zeke Elliot pick was, and still is, a stupid pick by Dallas. Not a knock on Elliot because he is a stud. But if anyone believes for one second Alfred Morris wouldn't be running all over the league as the starter behind that line then you should never comment on football ever again. They were very deep at RB and Alfred could be carrying the rushing load the same as Zeke is right now. Dallas would have done more for their team overall had Jerry not went after the sexy pick and instead went defensive to improve what was by a mile the weakest part of their team at draft time. No one is going to bash Dallas for taking Zeke, but it was probably the single most unnecessary pick in any draft since we drafted CJ Spiller.

Sammy - The stupid myth of what we traded to get Sammy gets worse with each moronic post about him. We trade ONE...not three...ONE additional first round pick to move up to get Sammy and a 4th. We did not in any way shape or form spend 3 fist round picks for Sammy. And at the time, Sammy had no injury concerns...his talent has MORE than proven his value, its been his foot issues that have been a set back, something that did NOT exist nor was it suspected to exist when he was drafted.

Dareus - Not a Whaley pick, but he is still one of the 3 best DT in the NFL, so not sure why you would put him on a list of "mistakes".

Shady is one of the main reasons we have 4 wins this season, and has been the life of the offense. He is earning is contract and we had the cap room for him, so this is still a win.

Shaq - Who cares if he missed 7 games, its not a career threatening injury, the kid is good and looked good since his return...this is going to be a great player for us IMO.

Gilmore - He also didn't draft Gilmore either, him and Dareus were the two draft years prior with Nix as the GM.

Tyrod Taylor - You're a moron for criticizing this...Whaley right now is the ONLY GM in football to sign either a promising young QB or Vet to a contract extension that is TEAM FRIENDLY and can get out of it EASILY if it didn't work. This is a massive win for Whaley...MASSIVE. Dallas was the opposite and gave an awful contract to Romo, just like SF did with Kap, Chi did with Cutler, Indy did with Luck, Miami did with Tannehill, and so on and so on. This might actually have been his biggest win because it just doesn't happen in todays NFL for any team. The only team that avoided disaster was Washington, but that was because Cousins decided to gamble on himself for a bigger deal next year.

You also carefully left out all of Whaleys big home run draft picks, trades, and FA signings...

More importantly...Jerry Jones has a long history of terrible drafts and GM moves. So everything you posted is pretty ridiculous considering all the incorrect information and misguided analysis.

Dead on. Facts are fun.

O Line ...enough said

Jerry has assembled a strong young team. Is already re-doing some O line contracts, defense may be suspect, but look what he assembled in one or two years.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

Tyrod

Shaq (missed 7 games)

Thats absolute lunacy.

Whaley should win GM of the year. Lorenzo Alexander leading the league in sacks and playing at a pro-bowl level? Huh? Zack Brown leading the leading in tackles and playing at a pro-bowl level?

You're literally crazy.

Thats absolute lunacy.

Whaley should win GM of the year. Lorenzo Alexander leading the league in sacks and playing at a pro-bowl level? Huh? Zack Brown leading the leading in tackles and playing at a pro-bowl level?

You're literally crazy.

I thought that's Robert Woods. :blink:

I have not read the entire thread, and I apologize if this has already been said, but my understanding is that Stephen Jones, Jerry's kid, is the real mastermind. Apparently, a couple of years ago, Jerry wanted to draft Johnny Manziel and his son Stephen literally pulled the draft card from his hands and substituted it with one for the OT from Notre Dame, who I believe became an instant starter and Pro Bowl caliber player and has been a huge part of them having the best OL in the NFL.

In my opinion, the heart of a great football team comes from one of two places: 1) a great QB who can get the ball out quickly and make adjustments at the line, who can cover up for deficiencies in the line and elsewhere (see Brady, Tom) OR 2) a great OL. With a great OL, you can open holes to run the ball and you can pass protect, giving the QB time to find an open receiver and also time to for the receivers to get open. These things allow you to keep getting first downs, keep moving the chains and keep possession of the ball, which in turn allows your defense to be well-rested and fresh when they come on the field. It also prevents the other team's offense from having the opportunity to get into a rhythm.

So, back to the original point of the thread, the success in Dallas goes to Jerry's kid and not Jerry. While I have been very impressed with the play of Dak Prescott, there is no doubt that he would not be so impressive if he didn't have the running game and pass protection that his great OL affords him. And I like Whaley, but it looks like Dallas is further along than Buffalo right now, so credit should go to the Dallas front office for putting them in the position they are in. And, I should add, I despise Dallas and have since the arrival of Jerry Jones and the departure of Tom Landry.

This is mostly correct and some choose to not believe it. Perhaps from Jerry Jones own mouth about how he was talked out of drafting Manziel by Stephen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000408696/Martin-best-choice-Jones-could-have-made

From another story.

"So what happened to convince the billionaire owner that his Cowboys were better off selecting Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin than Manziel?"

But Longtime scout Walter Juliff's ringing pre-draft endorsement of Martin has proven accurate for a team that's now 5-1 and running the ball better than any team in the league while reducing the burden on Romo.

"Walter said, 'I'm going to make a statement that's going to make everybody drop because we've had a couple of Hall of Fame guards, especially Larry Allen,' " Stephen Jones recalled. "Walter said, 'Zack Martin is the most high-level ready offensive lineman I've ever seen since I've been scouting here.

"That doesn't mean he has Larry's upside. But as far as ready to start from Day 1, Zack was truly plug and play." It helped that Martin started 52 games for Notre Dame. Stephen Jones said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett "had a huge influence on selecting Martin," who has the quick feet of a left tackle (his primary position for the Irish) but is a mauling finisher as a guard."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2014/10/17/zack-martin-jerry-jones-johnny-manziel-dallas-draft/17444699/

I've not read anywhere that anyone other than Jerry Jones and his son Stephen are the people that make the ultimate choice on who to draft and they listen to everyone in the draft room for advice. Although, the rest of the people in the draft room besides the Jones family are just cogs in the wheel.

Edited by Nihilarian

This is mostly correct and some choose to not believe it. Perhaps from Jerry Jones own mouth about how he was talked out of drafting Manziel by Stephen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000408696/Martin-best-choice-Jones-could-have-made

From another story.

"So what happened to convince the billionaire owner that his Cowboys were better off selecting Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin than Manziel?"

But Longtime scout Walter Juliff's ringing pre-draft endorsement of Martin has proven accurate for a team that's now 5-1 and running the ball better than any team in the league while reducing the burden on Romo.

"Walter said, 'I'm going to make a statement that's going to make everybody drop because we've had a couple of Hall of Fame guards, especially Larry Allen,' " Stephen Jones recalled. "Walter said, 'Zack Martin is the most high-level ready offensive lineman I've ever seen since I've been scouting here.

"That doesn't mean he has Larry's upside. But as far as ready to start from Day 1, Zack was truly plug and play." It helped that Martin started 52 games for Notre Dame. Stephen Jones said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett "had a huge influence on selecting Martin," who has the quick feet of a left tackle (his primary position for the Irish) but is a mauling finisher as a guard."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2014/10/17/zack-martin-jerry-jones-johnny-manziel-dallas-draft/17444699/

I've not read anywhere that anyone other than Jerry Jones and his son Stephen are the people that make the ultimate choice on who to draft and they listen to everyone in the draft room for advice. Although, the rest of the people in the draft room besides the Jones family are just cogs in the wheel.

Nice passive aggressive call out!

Because they have no GM in title, you (notice I said "you" and not "some people"...see how that works? :thumbsup: ) may choose to interpret that as the Joneses making personnel decisions (frankly that wouldn't surprise me given some of the opinions you've taken with regard to who makes personnel decisions on this team :lol: ).

But that's not what they're doing, and nowhere in that link does it say that Stephen made the decision on Martin. It's widely known around the league that McClay is the head of personnel. It's his staff that's providing the scouting reports, and his staff that's making the recommendations.

As I said earlier, the best compliment we can pay to Stephen Jones is that he's gotten out of the way and let the football guys do their jobs.

Thats absolute lunacy.

You're literally crazy.

You should get a Lawyer to have him committed!

O Line ...enough said

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

Tyrod

Shaq (missed 7 games)

I live here in Dallas and have observed Jerry since he owned the team starting in 1989. He is a brilliant marketing person but a numbskull in the personnel/gm area. Just about everybody else here thinks so as well - possibly including his son. There are other folks involved with the Dallas Cowboys that are either influencing Jerry or calling the shots at this point. Whaley is not perfect but way better than Jerry. Look at the FA pickups, Jerry could never do that. In his day his signings were dreadful.

O Line ...enough said

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

Tyrod

Shaq (missed 7 games)

No one was saying this last year... Dak is exposed. They are going to be begging for Romo by thanksgiving.

They drafted a RB with their first rounder, something fans would crucify the bills brass for doing,

Will McClay, their Director of Player Personnel, is the guy that is drafting players.

Not Jerry.

If Jerry were in charge, they'd have drafted Manziel.

Additional Stephen Jones is the one making the final call on all players. Hence them drafting an all pro OL when Jerry was banging the table for Jihnny Manziel

Jerry is no longer running the show which is why they are doing good

Now if you want to say Stephen Jones is a better GM an argument can be had.

Additional Stephen Jones is the one making the final call on all players. Hence them drafting an all pro OL when Jerry was banging the table for Jihnny Manziel

Jerry is no longer running the show which is why they are doing good

Now if you want to say Stephen Jones is a better GM an argument can be had.

Even at that, Stephen takes his cues from McClay and the scouting staff

Well Jerry isnt picking players now, but for quite awhile he did pick players. Was an unmitigated disater and he finally wised up and hired some real football people.

Although, i believe, didnt he pull Romo out of basically nowhere?

Well Jerry isnt picking players now, but for quite awhile he did pick players. Was an unmitigated disater and he finally wised up and hired some real football people.

No, that was Sean Payton. He was an Eastern Illinois alum, and remained close with the program, so he convinced the organization to give Romo a shot.

No, that was Sean Payton. He was an Eastern Illinois alum, and remained close with the program, so he convinced the organization to give Romo a shot.

Oh, i was under the impression that was Jerry. Oh well.

Am I missing something or is Jerry the GM?? Sorry if this has been said but I thought the GM calls the shots on who is brought in to play.

Am I missing something or is Jerry the GM?? Sorry if this has been said but I thought the GM calls the shots on who is brought in to play.

I dont frickin know, i believe, in title he is, but apparently hes got some good advisors. All i know is he seems to have two QB's that are better than anything we have seen in awhile.

Id rather have good/great QB evaluation than someone who hits on a few defensive players every now and again. That dosent seem that hard to do. I feel like i could pick defensive players if i had the resources available. Its the QB's that are the elusive ones.

First line of my earlier post: "I have not read the entire thread, and I apologize if this has already been said, but my understanding is that Stephen Jones, Jerry's kid, is the real mastermind...."

Comment on the post:

No.

Stephen Jones is the person that convinced Jerry to step back and let the football people operate.

Will McClay is the mastermind.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4750668/scouting-director-will-mcclay-refuses-to-shrink-when-jerry-jones-challenges-him

To further my point (perhaps from a different angle) - Stephen Jones is the mastermind who convinced Jerry to step back and let the football people operate. The Bills could use this kind of mastermind and have needed it for years.

Edited by msw2112

First line of my earlier post: "I have not read the entire thread, and I apologize if this has already been said, but my understanding is that Stephen Jones, Jerry's kid, is the real mastermind...."

Comment on the post:

To further my point (perhaps from a different angle) - Stephen Jones is the mastermind who convinced Jerry to step back and let the football people operate. The Bills could use this kind of mastermind and have needed it for years.

So what you're saying is the Cowboys (and their GM and advisors) are better than the Bills (and their GM and advisors)?

Regarding the Shaq/Jaylon comparison

What exactly is the difference....and as a matter of fact wouldnt Whaley deserve big time credit for finding a replacement while Shaq was on the mend?

Lets see Jerrah find a Lorax type player for peanuts.....(which is also a GM job not just the draft)

Is this a serious post or a joke?

According to Deion Sanders the Zeke pick was a bust so that means Jurrah sucks

Ask Jurrah, he'll tell you he's the GM. Idk but either way it was his decision to pick Zeke. You could see that one coming from a mile away but the experts kept trying to give the Boys a D player. Nah. Jurrah said heck no, gimme Zeke.

Is Whaley perfect? Of course not, but if nothing more, he's the best GM we've had in 16 years (Donahoe, Marv, Brandon, Nix).

Why would you want to get rid of him unless you were absolutely sure that you could get someone much better. Something tells

me that the list of unemployed GMs that would be much better than Whaley is very short. It may not be showing up on the field

right now for whatever reason (injuries, losing culture, coaching, etc.) and we're all disappointed, but this is the most talent we have

had since the late 90s. I wouldn't just throw that away in the hopes of landing some top 10 GM who actually wants to come to Buffalo.

I honestly think if you look at the roster objectively, not just at those last two disappointing loses, Whaley (and Monos) have done a

really solid job.

And no offense OP, I'm totally disappointed in the little impact that Sammy has had thus far too, but it used to drive me crazy when people

said we gave up two first rounders for Sammy, let alone three. Yes we gave them that year's first rounder and the following year's first and

fourth rounder (2 first rounders). But we also got a first rounder back from them that we used on Sammy. So, the reality is we gave a first

and fourth rounder to the Browns to swap picks. We didn't even give away two first round picks because we got one back (at a higher slot).

LMAO...first no one is right 100% of the time...not me, not you, not anyone...in fact GM's are WRONG way more then they are right. Bill Walsh said JJ Stokes, who he traded up for, was the next Jerry Rice. He also drafted Jim Drunkenmiller calling him the next great 49er QB and compared him to Young and Montana.

Second, Spiller was coming off a monster year and people wanted to dump him. I defended him being on this team because we were completely devoid of playmakers on this roster and he was literally the single only explosive weapon we had who just averaged 6 YPC the previous season in a BIG season. Him and Freddie made a great combo and our crappy HC Gailey knew how to use him and get production. Spiller would follow that great season with an injury filled one and then moved on. The biggest knock on him wasnt his talent, it was whether he could stay on the field if he was a featured runner. I wasnt ready to call him injury prone as he was still young then and most injuries were minor tweaks up to that point. Obviously, he proved to be very injury prone and barely saw the field because of it the last 2 years.

And I didn't tell the poster in the post your are commenting on to "never comment on football again". I said that comment to no one if you read it. I, not the poster, brought up Alfred Morris and said he would be at the top of this league in rushing behind this offensive line too, which is why the Zeke pick was unneccessary. The comment I made was that if anyone wants to respond that Alfred would not be having a great season behind this OL in Dallas too shouldn't comment on football because that would be a ridiculous statement considering Alfred had a monster preseason behind this OL, is a perennial 1000 yard rusher for his previous bad teams, has a 4.4 YPC career average on bad teams, and is in his prime still.

So dont spin that to say I told the original poster not to comment on football again, I used that directly at no one and only in support of the Alfred statement before someone said something ridiculous that Alfred wouldn't be good behind this OL too.

I get lost in posts like this, but, what I get from you is that you believe that at the end of their careers Morris and Elliot will have similar statistics. That is not likely to be true.

Jones is GMing for the long haul...it would be nice to see the Bills follow suit rather than signing stopgap players like Alexander.

While some might credit Jerry Jones for the team's recent turnaround. If had his way he would have drafted Johnny Manziel :sick:

You're right, Manziel's.250 winning percentage is dwarfed by fellow first rounder EJ Manuel, a Doug Whaley pick, who checks in with a whopping .375. We should be so !@#$ing proud.

Because there were a lot of famine years

It is nice to see you finally be critical of the Bills.

From another story.

You're not the only one doing it, so no offense, but, isn't a sign of a superior leader that she/he surround her/himself with quality people who make it possible for the entire organization be successful?

Your point will have some merit when Whaley's son is the brains under the throne.

Nice passive aggressive call out!

Because they have no GM in title, you (notice I said "you" and not "some people"...see how that works? :thumbsup: ) may choose to interpret that as the Joneses making personnel decisions (frankly that wouldn't surprise me given some of the opinions you've taken with regard to who makes personnel decisions on this team :lol: ).

But that's not what they're doing, and nowhere in that link does it say that Stephen made the decision on Martin. It's widely known around the league that McClay is the head of personnel. It's his staff that's providing the scouting reports, and his staff that's making the recommendations.

As I said earlier, the best compliment we can pay to Stephen Jones is that he's gotten out of the way and let the football guys do their jobs.

I was merely attempting to avoid the condescending arrogance that exudes in some posts.

The first wrong item on the agenda is the team has a GM and his name is Jerry Jones. Owner / President / General Manager http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/coaches

Stephen Jones, Chief Operating Officer / Executive Vice President / Director of Player Personnel

The second item wrong is that I linked three articles that basically state that Jerry Jones wanted to make the choice for Johnny Manziel and he was overruled by his son Stephen. The people that make the actual choices for the Cowboys draft picks are Jerry and his son Stephen and all the rest of the scouts the team employs and coaches just give their input into each selection.

In fact, in one article I linked it stated, "But Longtime scout Walter Juliff's ringing pre-draft endorsement of Martin has proven accurate for a team that's now 5-1 and running the ball better than any team in the league while reducing the burden on Romo.

That article also goes on to say, It helped that Martin started 52 games for Notre Dame. Stephen Jones said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett "had a huge influence on selecting Martin," who has the quick feet of a left tackle (his primary position for the Irish) but is a mauling finisher as a guard.

What is interesting to me is that Will McClay isn't even listed on the Cowboys official website. However, he is listed in another article as the Cowboys assistant director of player personnel. http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/18/dallas-cowboys-lionel-vital-director-college-scouting-will-mcclay/

The only thing I see McClay "leading" is the scouts and setting up the draft board. Nowhere did I read that he makes any selection on any player and only offers his advice on each individual like the others in the draft room. Also, McClay was the director of football research for the Cowboys in 2012 and was promoted to assistant director of player personnel in 2013.

The changes in the drafting philosophy regarding drafting offensive linemen with a first round pick started in 2011 as the team had never drafted an offensive line the entire time Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys (since 1989)

"I was wrong once...I thought I'd made a mistake, but it turned out I hadn't." ...except you make them all the time and are simply too obstinate to admit it!

Do you mean "some posts" or some of MY posts?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2014/1/14/5305218/a-deeper-look-at-will-mcclay-role-with-the-dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-jason-garrett

"Last week, it was announced that Will McClay would now be the person in charge of preparing the draft board."

Doesn't get any clearer than that.

If you're going to fall back on "Jones has final say", well, I'll only ask this:

Do you really believe that Stephen is making his own calls on players, and not sticking to the board, and that's why they've been more successful since McClay was placed in charge of the board?

The answer is obvious.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insidethestar.com/cowboys-headlines/dallas-cowboys-win-big-with-will-mcclay-declining-lions-gm-invite/amp/

"McClay has been the guy behind all of the decisions."

Edited by thebandit27

Dak might turn out good. Only saw one game but he was OK in it. Elliot and his line for sure help him out

Wentz............looks great with no help on that team. Just a really old Darren Sproles, who also looked good

All of which makes for me tough to view TT. Give him a pass because he has no weapons, but then watch a guy like Wentz succeed. IDK

their great O Line and Elliot are what make Dak look good. give elliot a bad hammy and witten a bad knee and see what you've got. QBs get too much of the credit for wins. way too much.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

O Line ...enough said

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

Tyrod

Shaq (missed 7 games)

Well he did sux for a long time

Why are people taking offense to this?

Whoever the GM of the Cowboys is is doing a better job than Whaley. Can we agree on that?

I'm sure not.

Whaley looks competent next to Buddy Nix, Russ Brandon and Marv Levy, but that doesn't make him anything special. His dubious decision making with regard to Watkins and McCoy is well documented. And I'd love to know what tackles we passed on for Kouandijo.

He's so full of baloney when he talks I can't take him seriously.

So the guys a better GM because he got lucky on a 4th round QB whom looks good now! This will be truly funny when the league figures him out.

Now the strongly built O-line is well done. Having a young RB behind the O-line is also but RB go down. When Shaddy is healthy, he kills it too behind a solid O-line.

Then we look back at the last 20 years ...