Jerry Jones is a better GM than Whaley

Will McClay, their Director of Player Personnel, is the guy that is drafting players.

Not Jerry.

If Jerry were in charge, they'd have drafted Manziel.

And Jerry was quite vocal that they Drafted Zack Martin due to his son, Stephen, basically beating him down into his chair and preventing him from racing to the phone to Draft Manziel. Basically, Jerry finally wised up and realized he's paying football guys to know football, let them do their job. Which, is to his credit - but not the actual selection of said team. He also gets kudos for patience, a lot of it. But that's where it stops, IMHO. Well, that and the new stadium, which is really awesome.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question is how many rings do they have in that period? Same as the Bills do. Not a bleepin one.

This might be their year...the Cowgirls I mean. They have all the pieces in place. Can we say the same for our beloved team?

And why skip over the question about the playoffs? Baby steps brother...baby steps

This might be their year...the Cowgirls I mean. They have all the pieces in place. Can we say the same for our beloved team?

And why skip over the question about the playoffs? Baby steps brother...baby steps

It could be, but we'll see about all of that when the season ends.

With regard to the playoffs. Sure it most certainly would be great to end the dreaded streak, but it should not be the ahhhh we made it moment.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Dak Prescott (will be stuck in wage scale for four years)

Zeke Elliot (monster RB with four more years)

Jaylon Smith (Top 10 talent...wait and see for 2017)

O Line ...enough said

Jerry has assembled a strong young team. Is already re-doing some O line contracts, defense may be suspect, but look what he assembled in one or two years.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

Tyrod

Old Shady with a lot of $$$

Dareus (3rd pick, lots o' $$$, groin is ouchy)

Sammy (gave away three first round picks for a WR with a hurt foot)

Lorax (love the guy but age will catch up to him)

Shaq (missed 7 games)

Gilmore...(fill in the blank)

Jerry has every reason to be named "GM of the Year"

Gave away 3 first rounders for Sammy?? If my memory serves we gave our first rounder that year, and a first and 4th the following year and received their first. So really we only "gave away" 1 first rounder

Gave away 3 first rounders for Sammy?? If my memory serves we gave our first rounder that year, and a first and 4th the following year and received their first. So really we only "gave away" 1 first rounder

Check the shout box...he claims there was fine print where we traded an additional first round pick that doesnt exist just to be able to discuss a trade with Cleveland. He literally is posting that in the shout box right now. He is clearly trolling, but people start to believe this crap which is why it annoys me so much because it starts to get a life of its own in other threads as there are people on here who will believe this gibberish and keep claiming its true.

Check the shout box...he claims there was fine print where we traded an additional first round pick that doesnt exist just to be able to discuss a trade with Cleveland. He literally is posting that in the shout box right now. He is clearly trolling, but people start to believe this crap which is why it annoys me so much because it starts to get a life of its own in other threads as there are people on here who will believe this gibberish and keep claiming its true.

So how many picks did we give up?

Lets just say we used 11 since 11 is my lucky number and you are into making things up that aren't true. So there it is, now people can stop magically inflating Sammys cost as I just stated we used 11 different first round picks on Sammy so people no longer need to make things up now.

#11picks4sammy

Edited by Alphadawg7

Lets just say we used 11 since 11 is my lucky number and you are into making things up that aren't true. So there it is, now people can stop magically inflating Sammys cost as I just stated we used 11 different first round picks on Sammy so people no longer need to make things up now.

#11picks4sammy

So we gave up one first round pick...above you said we gave up two.

It's hard to know exactly how involved Jerry is.

And if he is indeed better, it's because he has years of experience. He was awful at first and eventually got better.

So I guess the OP's point is that we need to leave DW in place for many years so he can gain the requisite experience to be as good as Jerry.

While some might credit Jerry Jones for the team's recent turnaround. If had his way he would have drafted Johnny Manziel :sick:

Jones has been the GM in name only for a few years and his sons basically, run the team and make the player decisions. Stephen Jones is the COO, executive VP & director of player personnel and he is the older brother of Cowboys executive Jerry Jones Jr.

Under Stephen Jones direction the team has taken a different course since around 2011 when the team started drafting offensive linemen with their first round pick which is something they never did the past decade. 2011 LT Tryon Smith-2013 C Travis Federick-2014 OG Zack Martin. The team built a very solid offensive line to protect their aging QB while building a power run game to return to their glory days of running the ball with Emmitt Smith.

It was Jimmy Johnson who built the 90's super bowl teams.

Stephen isn't making picks either...Will McClay is the guy behind their football department.

Stephen is simply allowing the football people to do their jobs.

#11picks4sammy

Works for me as I live under the banner of #Truthiness

Stephen isn't making picks either...Will McClay is the guy behind their football department.

Stephen is simply allowing the football people to do their jobs.

If you had listened to an interview with Stephen you would understand the team's philosophy changed the last few years and he is directly responsible.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-war-room-jerry-jones-peter-king

"In the Cowboys’ draft room, support staff and scouts and coaches ring three quarters of a large rectangular table. At the head of the table sits, from left to right, mostly a family affair: vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones (who mans the phone for most trade discussions); Jerry Jones; executive vice president Charlotte Jones Anderson (Jerry’s daughter); coach Jason Garrett; and just around the corner of the table, executive vice president of sales and marketing Jerry Jones Jr. Stephen Jones is at the nerve center, with direct lines to 31 NFL teams on the phone console in front of him."

"Stephen Jones, one observer noted, picked up the phone and called Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome. “Hey Oz,” Stephen Jones said. “We probably will pick here, but …” Newsome told Jones that to move up from 6 to 4 in the first round he’d give Baltimore’s fourth-rounder, 104 overall. “We need a three to do it,” Stephen Jones told him. “If you change your mind, call me.”

If you still don't believe it, read this... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000387284/article/jerry-jones-damn-mad-about-missing-johnny-manziel

"During the draft, Jones argued with his son, executive vice president Stephen Jones, that Manziel would have guaranteed the Cowboys' relevance for the next decade.

"I'm still so damn mad at Stephen," Jones exclaimed. "... I get madder, every day, about missin' (Manziel)."

"The Bills sent the ninth overall pick along with their first- and fourth-round selections in 2015 to Cleveland in the trade"

Three picks in all, two firsts and a fourth.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10903086/2014-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-trade-pick-sammy-watkins-no-4

Edited by Nihilarian

Well, Jerry is still the GM. I see him working the phones and he gives the final say so...that makes him in charge of the draft.

By that logic, Russ Brandon is our GM. But what do I know, he may be.

Additionally, Overdorff had also been noted to man the phones for trades.

Edited by Saint Doug

How?

Assuming the Cowboys make the playoffs this year, they have went to the playoffs two of the past three years.

Isn't that how success is measured? Wins?

I think, after 17 years, we deserve to come up with a new litmus test.

I have not read the entire thread, and I apologize if this has already been said, but my understanding is that Stephen Jones, Jerry's kid, is the real mastermind. Apparently, a couple of years ago, Jerry wanted to draft Johnny Manziel and his son Stephen literally pulled the draft card from his hands and substituted it with one for the OT from Notre Dame, who I believe became an instant starter and Pro Bowl caliber player and has been a huge part of them having the best OL in the NFL. In my opinion, the heart of a great football team comes from one of two places: 1) a great QB who can get the ball out quickly and make adjustments at the line, who can cover up for deficiencies in the line and elsewhere (see Brady, Tom) OR 2) a great OL. With a great OL, you can open holes to run the ball and you can pass protect, giving the QB time to find an open receiver and also time to for the receivers to get open. These things allow you to keep getting first downs, keep moving the chains and keep possession of the ball, which in turn allows your defense to be well-rested and fresh when they come on the field. It also prevents the other team's offense from having the opportunity to get into a rhythm. So, back to the original point of the thread, the success in Dallas goes to Jerry's kid and not Jerry. While I have been very impressed with the play of Dak Prescott, there is no doubt that he would not be so impressive if he didn't have the running game and pass protection that his great OL affords him. And I like Whaley, but it looks like Dallas is further along than Buffalo right now, so credit should go to the Dallas front office for putting them in the position they are in. And, I should add, I despise Dallas and have since the arrival of Jerry Jones and the departure of Tom Landry.

Edited by msw2112

I have not read the entire thread, and I apologize if this has already been said, but my understanding is that Stephen Jones, Jerry's kid, is the real mastermind. Apparently, a couple of years ago, Jerry wanted to draft Johnny Manziel and his son Stephen literally pulled the draft card from his hands and substituted it with one for the OT from Notre Dame, who I believe became an instant starter and Pro Bowl caliber player and has been a huge part of them having the best OL in the NFL. In my opinion, the heart of a great football team comes from one of two places: 1) a great QB who can get the ball out quickly and make adjustments at the line, who can cover up for deficiencies in the line and elsewhere (see Brady, Tom) OR 2) a great OL. With a great OL, you can open holes to run the ball and you can pass protect, giving the QB time to find an open receiver and also time to for the receivers to get open. These things allow you to keep getting first downs, keep moving the chains and keep possession of the ball, which in turn allows your defense to be well-rested and fresh when they come on the field. It also prevents the other team's offense from having the opportunity to get into a rhythm. So, back to the original point of the thread, the success in Dallas goes to Jerry's kid and not Jerry. While I have been very impressed with the play of Dak Prescott, there is no doubt that he would not be so impressive if he didn't have the running game and pass protection that his great OL affords him. And I like Whaley, but it looks like Dallas is further along than Buffalo right now, so credit should go to the Dallas front office for putting them in the position they are in. And, I should add, I despise Dallas and have since the arrival of Jerry Jones and the departure of Tom Landry.

No.

Stephen Jones is the person that convinced Jerry to step back and let the football people operate.

Will McClay is the mastermind.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4750668/scouting-director-will-mcclay-refuses-to-shrink-when-jerry-jones-challenges-him