Jerry Jones is a better GM than Whaley

Dak Prescott (will be stuck in wage scale for four years)

Zeke Elliot (monster RB with four more years)

Jaylon Smith (Top 10 talent...wait and see for 2017)

O Line ...enough said

Jerry has assembled a strong young team. Is already re-doing some O line contracts, defense may be suspect, but look what he assembled in one or two years.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

Tyrod

Old Shady with a lot of $$$

Dareus (3rd pick, lots o' $$$, groin is ouchy)

Sammy (gave away three first round picks for a WR with a hurt foot)

Lorax (love the guy but age will catch up to him)

Shaq (missed 7 games)

Gilmore...(fill in the blank)

Jerry has every reason to be named "GM of the Year"

Whaley has definitely managed with a "win now" or "forfeit the future" mentality purely to save his job.

He felt he was on the hot seat and rightly so and he knows he doesn't have forever to get it done.

When we don't make the playoffs next year as well as this year, he'll be gone for sure, if he isn't gone before.

Once Pegula has seen enough, he will show Whaley the door faster than you can say "Darcy Regier."

As for Jerry Jone being better...meh.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley has definitely managed with a "win now" or "forfeit the future" mentality purely to save his job.

He felt he was on the hot seat and rightly so and he knows he doesn't have forever to get it done.

When we don't make the playoffs next year as well as this year, he'll be gone for sure, if he isn't gone before.

Once Pegula has seen enough, he will show Whaley the door faster than you can say "Darcy Regier."

Im just not ready to give up on this season......this team has shown the ability to win games they SHOULD win and have kept games close in every game where Tom Brady is not playing.

The Seattle game will be important

First off, this post is stupid. Second, your information isnt accurate. Third, Whaley didn't pick all those players. Fourth you cleverly left off terrible deals Jerry has done, including the dumbest QB contract for a QB not named Kapernick ever in his deal with Romo. Fifth, Dallas team underachieves more than the Bills do on a yearly basis in which they are always seem to be a preseason SB contender then get no where near it.

Now lets look at some of your comparisons...the Zeke Elliot pick was, and still is, a stupid pick by Dallas. Not a knock on Elliot because he is a stud. But if anyone believes for one second Alfred Morris wouldn't be running all over the league as the starter behind that line then you should never comment on football ever again. They were very deep at RB and Alfred could be carrying the rushing load the same as Zeke is right now. Dallas would have done more for their team overall had Jerry not went after the sexy pick and instead went defensive to improve what was by a mile the weakest part of their team at draft time. No one is going to bash Dallas for taking Zeke, but it was probably the single most unnecessary pick in any draft since we drafted CJ Spiller. Ummm, Zeke Elliot was the dumbest pick because who wouldn't want to have the NFL leading rusher on their team with a manageable salary. That would suck.

Sammy - The stupid myth of what we traded to get Sammy gets worse with each moronic post about him. We trade ONE...not three...ONE additional first round pick to move up to get Sammy and a 4th. We did not in any way shape or form spend 3 fist round picks for Sammy. And at the time, Sammy had no injury concerns...his talent has MORE than proven his value, its been his foot issues that have been a set back, something that did NOT exist nor was it suspected to exist when he was drafted. One pick to sit at the bargaining table, one pick to Cleveland to move up and one pick to Cleveland the next year...1+1+1=3

Dareus - Not a Whaley pick, but he is still one of the 3 best DT in the NFL, so not sure why you would put him on a list of "mistakes". Ohhhh, I forgot Buddy Nix extended Dareus to $100 million...he must have snuck in late at night and drafted that contract.

Shady is one of the main reasons we have 4 wins this season, and has been the life of the offense. He is earning is contract and we had the cap room for him, so this is still a win. Divide Shady's salary by the number of games he has played and you'll see the difference.

Shaq - Who cares if he missed 7 games, its not a career threatening injury, the kid is good and looked good since his return...this is going to be a great player for us IMO. Love Shaq.

Gilmore - He also didn't draft Gilmore either, him and Dareus were the two draft years prior with Nix as the GM. Girlmore should have been traded for 20 boxes of pizza rolls. He's gone and Whaley knows it.

Tyrod Taylor - You're a moron for criticizing this...Whaley right now is the ONLY GM in football to sign either a promising young QB or Vet to a contract extension that is TEAM FRIENDLY and can get out of it EASILY if it didn't work. This is a massive win for Whaley...MASSIVE. Dallas was the opposite and gave an awful contract to Romo, just like SF did with Kap, Chi did with Cutler, Indy did with Luck, Miami did with Tannehill, and so on and so on. This might actually have been his biggest win because it just doesn't happen in todays NFL for any team. The only team that avoided disaster was Washington, but that was because Cousins decided to gamble on himself for a bigger deal next year. Tyrod has a great contract...Dak Prescott's is cheaper as a fourth rounder. Sorry you don't see the difference.

You also carefully left out all of Whaleys big home run draft picks, trades, and FA signings...

More importantly...Jerry Jones has a long history of terrible drafts and GM moves. So everything you posted is pretty ridiculous considering all the incorrect information and misguided analysis.

Do you just not understand the Sammy trade or are you just committed to false information? Seriously...how is this confusing for your: 2104 First round pick + 2015 First round pick = Two first round picks on Sammy...not three.

And you missed the entire point about Zeke...More than likely Alfred Morris would ALSO be leading the league in rushing right now behind that line if Zeke would not have been drafted. That was the point...they did NOT need him. Is he a great player, yes...but they had a stud RB they just signed as a FA who was a perennial 1000 yard rusher on a bad team in Washington and had a career 4.4 YPC average on a bad team. Behind this line he was dominant in the preseason too for Dallas. He easily would be top 5 if not #1 himself on this team in the NFL this year if they did NOT draft Zeke. So again, its NOT a knock on Zeke, its that it was a very unneccessary pick with bigger needs on the defense because they had a stud RB in his prime on the roster they had just signed.

Dareus earned his extension as one of the top DT in all of football. But I guess you are able to predict the future and know he would miss some games this year.

Your Shady argument still has no merit...we wouldn't have more than 2 wins without him on this team this year, if that. We can afford his salary and he is EARNING all of it. But again, I guess you are some kind of Oracle because you knew when we got him he would miss some games with a hamstring injury and therefore his contract is dumb to you because when you divide games by...blah blah blah...I mean come on dude, McCoy is the heart of this team right now and is earning every penny on a team who can afford the contract.

You say you love Shaq but you used it as a negative in your original post...so why even knock Whaley on it? That makes no sense.

What did Whaley do wrong with Gilmore? You dont even have a point here...he did NOT draft him and also did NOT give in to his contract demands...based on your opinion of Gilmore that is a big win for Whaley. So again, how is this being painted as a negative by you?

So then there are 32 teams in the NFL that have dumb GM's because Dak was passed on by everyone, including the Cowboys 3 times before the Cowboys took him in the fourth. Jerry Jones is the dumbest GM in history for passing on Tom Brady 6 times too. He is also dumb for not using even a 7th round pick on Kurt Warner. He's dumb for not taking Wilson twice before Seattle got him...I mean come on with this hindsight spin. No one know Dak could come in like this, not even Dallas who stayed committed to Romo after Dak was lighting up preseason and still publicly was committed to Romo until about a week or two ago.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Im just not ready to give up on this season......this team has shown the ability to win games they SHOULD win and have kept games close in every game where Tom Brady is not playing.

The Seattle game will be important

No question about that!

Sure bro. I remember you making fun of folks who thought Spiller would suck. "don't comment on football ever again blah blah blah." Keep that crap to yourself.

LMAO...first no one is right 100% of the time...not me, not you, not anyone...in fact GM's are WRONG way more then they are right. Bill Walsh said JJ Stokes, who he traded up for, was the next Jerry Rice. He also drafted Jim Drunkenmiller calling him the next great 49er QB and compared him to Young and Montana.

Second, Spiller was coming off a monster year and people wanted to dump him. I defended him being on this team because we were completely devoid of playmakers on this roster and he was literally the single only explosive weapon we had who just averaged 6 YPC the previous season in a BIG season. Him and Freddie made a great combo and our crappy HC Gailey knew how to use him and get production. Spiller would follow that great season with an injury filled one and then moved on. The biggest knock on him wasnt his talent, it was whether he could stay on the field if he was a featured runner. I wasnt ready to call him injury prone as he was still young then and most injuries were minor tweaks up to that point. Obviously, he proved to be very injury prone and barely saw the field because of it the last 2 years.

And I didn't tell the poster in the post your are commenting on to "never comment on football again". I said that comment to no one if you read it. I, not the poster, brought up Alfred Morris and said he would be at the top of this league in rushing behind this offensive line too, which is why the Zeke pick was unneccessary. The comment I made was that if anyone wants to respond that Alfred would not be having a great season behind this OL in Dallas too shouldn't comment on football because that would be a ridiculous statement considering Alfred had a monster preseason behind this OL, is a perennial 1000 yard rusher for his previous bad teams, has a 4.4 YPC career average on bad teams, and is in his prime still.

So dont spin that to say I told the original poster not to comment on football again, I used that directly at no one and only in support of the Alfred statement before someone said something ridiculous that Alfred wouldn't be good behind this OL too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

LMAO...first no one is right 100% of the time...not me, not you, not anyone...in fact GM's are WRONG way more then they are right. Bill Walsh said JJ Stokes, who he traded up for, was the next Jerry Rice. He also drafted Jim Drunkenmiller calling him the next great 49er QB and compared him to Young and Montana.

Second, Spiller was coming off a monster year and people wanted to dump him. I defended him being on this team because we were completely devoid of playmakers on this roster and he was literally the single only explosive weapon we had who just averaged 6 YPC the previous season in a BIG season. Him and Freddie made a great combo and our crappy HC Gailey knew how to use him and get production. Spiller would follow that great season with an injury filled one and then moved on. The biggest knock on him wasnt his talent, it was whether he could stay on the field if he was a featured runner. I wasnt ready to call him injury prone as he was still young then and most injuries were minor tweaks up to that point. Obviously, he proved to be very injury prone and barely saw the field because of it the last 2 years.

You pulled the same childish BS you did in this thread and you haven't learned. Now you're trying to backtrack.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/161280-im-afraid-chan-was-right-about-spiller/page-2

You pulled the same childish BS you did in this thread and you haven't learned. Now you're trying to backtrack.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/161280-im-afraid-chan-was-right-about-spiller/page-2

jmc,

Just out of curiosity have you ever called it on a player that was gonna be good on this team or are you just to busy pulling up old threads?.......

Most teams and GM's have a win now mentality in todays NFL, especially on a team thats missed playoffs last 16 years. Its rare that a team in any sport takes the approach the Philadelphia 76ers took in basketball of accepting losing a lot and being patient to rebuild through the draft for many years in a row, but its almost unheard of in the NFL where several times we have seen teams near the bottom of the league one year, rise to the top the next. There is a reason people mock the NFL letters to say Not For Long...teams and GM's are expected to win now, so I dont knock Whaley for taking that approach and I am glad someone in this organization finally did.

First off, this post is stupid. Second, your information isnt accurate. Third, Whaley didn't pick all those players. Fourth you cleverly left off terrible deals Jerry has done, including the dumbest QB contract for a QB not named Kapernick ever in his deal with Romo. Fifth, Dallas team underachieves more than the Bills do on a yearly basis in which they are always seem to be a preseason SB contender then get no where near it.

Now lets look at some of your comparisons...the Zeke Elliot pick was, and still is, a stupid pick by Dallas. Not a knock on Elliot because he is a stud. But if anyone believes for one second Alfred Morris wouldn't be running all over the league as the starter behind that line then you should never comment on football ever again. They were very deep at RB and Alfred could be carrying the rushing load the same as Zeke is right now. Dallas would have done more for their team overall had Jerry not went after the sexy pick and instead went defensive to improve what was by a mile the weakest part of their team at draft time. No one is going to bash Dallas for taking Zeke, but it was probably the single most unnecessary pick in any draft since we drafted CJ Spiller.

Sammy - The stupid myth of what we traded to get Sammy gets worse with each moronic post about him. We trade ONE...not three...ONE additional first round pick to move up to get Sammy and a 4th. We did not in any way shape or form spend 3 fist round picks for Sammy. And at the time, Sammy had no injury concerns...his talent has MORE than proven his value, its been his foot issues that have been a set back, something that did NOT exist nor was it suspected to exist when he was drafted.

Dareus - Not a Whaley pick, but he is still one of the 3 best DT in the NFL, so not sure why you would put him on a list of "mistakes".

Shady is one of the main reasons we have 4 wins this season, and has been the life of the offense. He is earning is contract and we had the cap room for him, so this is still a win.

Shaq - Who cares if he missed 7 games, its not a career threatening injury, the kid is good and looked good since his return...this is going to be a great player for us IMO.

Gilmore - He also didn't draft Gilmore either, him and Dareus were the two draft years prior with Nix as the GM.

Tyrod Taylor - You're a moron for criticizing this...Whaley right now is the ONLY GM in football to sign either a promising young QB or Vet to a contract extension that is TEAM FRIENDLY and can get out of it EASILY if it didn't work. This is a massive win for Whaley...MASSIVE. Dallas was the opposite and gave an awful contract to Romo, just like SF did with Kap, Chi did with Cutler, Indy did with Luck, Miami did with Tannehill, and so on and so on. This might actually have been his biggest win because it just doesn't happen in todays NFL for any team. The only team that avoided disaster was Washington, but that was because Cousins decided to gamble on himself for a bigger deal next year.

You also carefully left out all of Whaleys big home run draft picks, trades, and FA signings...

More importantly...Jerry Jones has a long history of terrible drafts and GM moves. So everything you posted is pretty ridiculous considering all the incorrect information and misguided analysis.

Oh, man, you're in trouble now, you've used facts and then compounded your foolishness by not accepting as Holy Writ that Shag is a wasted pick, that Dareus is a failure, that Sammy cost elevendy seven picks, and that TT's agent hornswoggled Whaley. Don't you know we live in a time when anyone can make up crazy stuff out of thin air and pretend it's true, and the rest of us are supposed to nod in agreement?

Edited by yungmack

HUH? How am I back tracking...thats exactly what I said I defended him on...and just said I was wrong about...his ability to carry the load and not get hurt. How did I back track? Spiller had ticky tack small injuries up to that point, Fred Jackson had missed significantly more games than Spiller had up to that point, and when Fred was hurt Spiller carried the load tremendously without getting hurt. He had a monster year the previous year and I defended his ability to stay healthy based on the fact he mostly stayed healthy the year before and killed it when Fred was out.

Again, what did I just back track on? I just told you this verbatim...and I just told you I was wrong about his ability to stay healthy as his next year was plagued by injuries. And what you also fail to point out is how I was flamed relentlessly for supporting Spiller, by a few specific people for months. No matter what thread I was in or the shout box I would have the same few people constantly attacking my support of Spiller. So in that thread I had about enough of it.

And how about the childish crap of people posting false information as truth all the time, which is what triggered my strong response in the first place as I am just so over it. Most of the OP here in this thread is factually wrong...not opinion wrong, factually wrong. We did not spend 3 first round picks on Sammy, Whaley did not draft Dareus, Whaley did not draft Gilmore, etc.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Regarding the Shaq/Jaylon comparison

What exactly is the difference....and as a matter of fact wouldnt Whaley deserve big time credit for finding a replacement while Shaq was on the mend?

Lets see Jerrah find a Lorax type player for peanuts.....(which is also a GM job not just the draft)

Lorax is a product of Rex, nothing against him. He is an intelligent high effort player that does what he asked to the tilt! I won't be surprised if at 33 Lorax isn't back in Buffalo next year. Rex does a ton of questionable and annoying things but as our very own Badol eluded to.. Rex will get production from journeyman.

He should have had the brains to limit his ST duties since he had become so vital to the D.

While some might credit Jerry Jones for the team's recent turnaround. If had his way he would have drafted Johnny Manziel :sick:

Jones has been the GM in name only for a few years and his sons basically, run the team and make the player decisions. Stephen Jones is the COO, executive VP & director of player personnel and he is the older brother of Cowboys executive Jerry Jones Jr.

Under Stephen Jones direction the team has taken a different course since around 2011 when the team started drafting offensive linemen with their first round pick which is something they never did the past decade. 2011 LT Tryon Smith-2013 C Travis Federick-2014 OG Zack Martin. The team built a very solid offensive line to protect their aging QB while building a power run game to return to their glory days of running the ball with Emmitt Smith.

It was Jimmy Johnson who built the 90's super bowl teams.

Lorax is a product of Rex, nothing against him. He is an intelligent high effort player that does what he asked to the tilt! I won't be surprised if at 33 Lorax isn't back in Buffalo next year. Rex does a ton of questionable and annoying things but as our very own Badol eluded to.. Rex will get production from journeyman.

He should have had the brains to limit his ST duties since he had become so vital to the D.

Are you saying he is overweight? I think Lorax is good size.