Jerry Jones is a better GM than Whaley

We're comparing the job that two people have done assembling rosters.

How is that irrelevant?

This thread is about two NFL GMs. One has done a superior job to the other. You are off on some tangent about the cowboys personnel department.

You dont know that yet

by sitting back and letting football people do their jobs? Yes he should actually get credit for that cuz he is a meddlesome owner

:o does he meet with his players? I hate owners who do that.

Ever heard Einsteins definition of insanity?

he never said that

Edited by Cripple Creek

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about two NFL GMs. One has done a superior job to the other. You are off on some tangent about the cowboys personnel department. You really can't comprehend can you?

One

Does

Not

Do

The

Job

That

You're

Giving

Him

Credit

For

You really don't comprehend that, do you?

One

Does

Not

Do

The

Job

That

You're

Giving

Him

Credit

For

You really don't comprehend that, do you?

In your opinion maybe. In reality not so much. I'm giving him credit for being a better GM than Whaley. YOU are the one who is deciding what a GM should/shouldn't do. You are the one who needs to be smarter than everyone else here. Me? I'm looking at the cowboys website and I see GM by the man's name. That cinches it for me.

Perhaps it is Doug Whaley who is not doing the job that the title is giving him credit for.

I agree that Jerry Jones has been a better GM than Whaley.

However, I also believe, as Rico pointed out, that Whaley did not choose Rex Ryan.

Therefore, Whaley did not choose Tyrod Taylor. Nor did he choose Rob "Defense Killer" Ryan.

This team was a better team when Whaley was able to do his job.

Two of the biggest reasons the Bills are not good today are: Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor.

Regardless, history shows that Jones has been a more effective GM than Whaley, in my opinion. Jones has had the luxury of not having an owner force him to undo what he's spent years doing.

Whaley ... not so much.

In your opinion maybe. In reality not so much. I'm giving him credit for being a better GM than Whaley. YOU are the one who is deciding what a GM should/shouldn't do. You are the one who needs to be smarter than everyone else here. Me? I'm looking at the cowboys website and I see GM by the man's name. That cinches it for me.

Perhaps it is Doug Whaley who is not doing the job that the title is giving him credit for.

1. Then your not as smart as you think you are. #overrated

2. As a newbie all I've seen you do is criticize and put down other peoples posts. You bring absolutely nothing to the table. Something that's becoming way too common, with new posters, and ruining this board.

3. Jerry Jones is a GM in title only. Almost everyone who follows the NFL knows this and yet you don't. Hmmmm.....

4. Try actually bringing some info to the tread instead of name calling.You know like stats and articles and such. I love how you called someone out for name calling and in the same post called him a dick. #hypocrite

4. Try actually bringing some info to the tread instead of name calling.You know like stats and articles and such. I love how you called someone out for name calling and in the same post called him a dick. #hypocrite

I'm far from the smartest person in the room, but, I never pretend to be. Jones'organization is light years ahead of the Bills in many ways & I'm not too proud to admit that. You and others have decided what a gm should do on a day to day basis. Me? I'm willing to look at the guys title, look at his organization and say "I wish we had that." Results matter. How Jones spends his time really doesn't. He's given himself the title and that's good enough for me.

Regarding your statement about me calling someone a dick...I sincerely apologize for that. Please quote that post so that I can apologize to that person (personally). That's out of character for me and drink must have been involved.

And Jerry never got much right recently until Stephen started talking him down off the ledge on a lot of his picks...don't forget, he would have drafted Manziel without Stephen there to talk some sense into him.

Correct!

If you read this article from Peter King MMQB he goes into great detail about the Dallas Cowboys draft room as he spends the weekend with Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys during the 2016 NFL draft.

In the Cowboys’ draft room, support staff and scouts and coaches ring three quarters of a large rectangular table. At the head of the table sits, from left to right, mostly a family affair: vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones (who mans the phone for most trade discussions); Jerry Jones; executive vice president Charlotte Jones Anderson (Jerry’s daughter); coach Jason Garrett; and just around the corner of the table, executive vice president of sales and marketing Jerry Jones Jr. Stephen Jones is at the nerve center, with direct lines to 31 NFL teams on the phone console in front of him.

This simple sentence from the article should give everyone the absolute understanding into exactly who makes the draft choices for the Dallas Cowboys. While contemplating a trade with the Baltimore Ravens that was taking too much time. Jerry makes his decision!

“Get Zeke on the phone,” Jerry Jones said. And he instructed the card to be turned in with Ezekiel Elliott’s name on it.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-war-room-jerry-jones-peter-king

Jerry Jones is still very much running that team as GM with his son Stephen advising him. So yes, Jerry Jones has done a superior job over Doug Whaley. But then, like others have mentioned that Whaley doesn't even have the control over the team that other GM's have.

I'm far from the smartest person in the room, but, I never pretend to be. Jones'organization is light years ahead of the Bills in many ways & I'm not too proud to admit that. You and others have decided what a gm should do on a day to day basis. Me? I'm willing to look at the guys title, look at his organization and say "I wish we had that." Results matter. How Jones spends his time really doesn't. He's given himself the title and that's good enough for me.

Regarding your statement about me calling someone a dick...I sincerely apologize for that. Please quote that post so that I can apologize to that person (personally). That's out of character for me and drink must have been involved.

It is I who has to apologize on the name calling..... it was NOT you it was another poster. Sorry Cripple for calling you out on that, it was not you. As far as Jerry Jones being GM, you just admitted he gave himself the title. To MOST people, if you're not doing the day in day out GM responsibilities then you are not the GM. If you would have said that about the 90's up to a few years ago, then you would have been way more correct. The Cowboys are better off right now because he gave up those responsibilities even though he let himself keep the title. You were also calling out a veteran poster(The Bandit) who over the course of many years has shown to have a high football IQ. Not saying he's right about everything, but he definitely is not grasping at straws, as you put it, and in this case was spot on. I don't have the time to get on the boards like I use to(Got promoted at work and have added about 25-30 hours a week) but the first few topics I was in you were doing the same thing. I wasn't trying to be a dick Cripple but there are about (15-20) posters who really know their stuff on these boards and he happens to be one of them. In the end we ALL want the same thing. All the best to ya Cripple and GO BILLS!!

Im just not ready to give up on this season......this team has shown the ability to win games they SHOULD win and have kept games close in every game where Tom Brady is not playing.

The Seattle game will be important

Win games they should like the Jets, Baltimore, and Miami?

they did in fact go on a 4 game winning streak

Or does this hurt your agenda?

My agenda is making the playoffs. Yours is defending mediocrity at all costs. Playoff teams win two of the three games I cited. Edited by TANK2

Sure, If you forget the last 10-20 years or however long jerry has been in control of the Cowgirls and look at just the last couple years he has been a better GM because his team is winning and a couple of their draft picks look really good.

Of course Jerry has been horrible running the Cowgirls for probably longer then Whaley has been working in a an NFL head office, let alone working as a teams GM, but lets praise Jerry cause after a long, long time, he has finally got things right..............

Edited by apuszczalowski

3 first round picks for Sammy? Wait I thought it was 10 picks no?

Maybe you should look into that trade and educate yourself.

Lorax was NOT a good pickup? Not sure how that supports your point. Hint: it doesn't.

Dareus was the pick at 3 at the time. ask Buddy Nix, he was the gm that drafted him (look into that too)

Sure, If you forget the last 10-20 years or however long jerry has been in control of the Cowgirls and look at just the last couple years he has been a better GM because his team is winning and a couple of their draft picks look really good.

Of course Jerry has been horrible running the Cowgirls for probably longer then Whaley has been working in a an NFL head office, let alone working as a teams GM, but lets praise Jerry cause after a long, long time, he has finally got things right..............

Jones was really good twice...the first time is when he let Jimmy Johnson basically run the team...he lived off that for several years after he left even winning a Super Bowl with Barry Switzer as Head Coach off Jimmy Johnson's talent...

The second time was when Stephen started taking more of a role in the GM department and has been talking Jerry down off the ledge with some of things he wants to do...

Left to his own devices, he is and always has been terrible at being a GM