3 legit reasons we lost

Bocephuz

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

List the "plenty" you saw.

Sorry I wasn't taking detailed notes. I specifically mentioned it three or four times alone in the first half, but here it goes off the top of my head. There was a diving catch by Goodwin, there was a pass (over the middle!) to I think Bush where he had to go down and grab it and if hit in stride he could have picked up more yardage. There was that nice gain (again over the middle) to Clay that was behind him. The pass to the goal line at the end was high. But you know that is just off the top of my head, I'll leave it up to the all-22 folk to fill in the rest.

I think the main reasons the Bills lost today can be explained by basic football 101.

They couldn't run the ball and they couldn't stop the run.

Early this season when the Bills couldn't get the running game going, they ended up losing.

Today, even though they didn't run that well, they still put together a respectable first half. Unfortunately they still didn't stop the run. Miami won this game playing basic football 101. Run and stop the run.

Mccoy starting actually hurt us. He was clearly not 100%. There were several holes he failed to hit. Offense's rhythm suffered as a result. We would have been better off just going with Mike from the beginning.

Probably right. And Shady would have had another week to heal for the upcoming Patriots game. Now who knows if he will play at all in that. I wanted them to start Mike even before they said McCoy would be able to play. Should have gone with the Florida guy.

I think the main reasons the Bills lost today can be explained by basic football 101.

They couldn't run the ball and they couldn't stop the run.

Early this season when the Bills couldn't get the running game going, they ended up losing.

Today, even though they didn't run that well, they still put together a respectable first half. Unfortunately they still didn't stop the run. Miami won this game playing basic football 101. Run and stop the run.

Football 101 is right. How many times do teams give up +250yds rushing and win? Not often. We're used to winning in that manner. Tip of the hat to Miami. They came to play and dominated us.

Sorry I wasn't taking detailed notes. I specifically mentioned it three or four times alone in the first half, but here it goes off the top of my head. There was a diving catch by Goodwin, there was a pass (over the middle!) to I think Bush where he had to go down and grab it and if hit in stride he could have picked up more yardage. There was that nice gain (again over the middle) to Clay that was behind him. The pass to the goal line at the end was high. But you know that is just off the top of my head, I'll leave it up to the all-22 folk to fill in the rest.

Quarterback grade: Tyrod Taylor, 84.5

Taylor is his usual self in nearly flawless performance

Buffalo quarterback Tyrod Taylor was his usual self as he did not commit many mistakes and none of those were actually turnover-worthy throws. Furthermore, he had one of those accurate deep passes that are becoming his signature throws when he hit receiver Marquise Goodwin in stride for a long touchdown pass. In addition, Taylor was inaccurate on only one of his 14 passes that travelled less than 20 yards.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nfl-buf-mia-grades-outstanding-ajayi-leads-dolphins-to-win/

Ill sit back and wait for the "PFF doesnt know anything" crowd to give their completely subjective opinions.

Football 101 is right. How many times do teams give up +250yds rushing and win? Not often. We're used to winning in that manner. Tip of the hat to Miami. They came to play and dominated us.

Quarterback grade: Tyrod Taylor, 84.5

Taylor is his usual self in nearly flawless performance

Buffalo quarterback Tyrod Taylor was his usual self as he did not commit many mistakes and none of those were actually turnover-worthy throws. Furthermore, he had one of those accurate deep passes that are becoming his signature throws when he hit receiver Marquise Goodwin in stride for a long touchdown pass. In addition, Taylor was inaccurate on only one of his 14 passes that travelled less than 20 yards.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nfl-buf-mia-grades-outstanding-ajayi-leads-dolphins-to-win/

Ill sit back and wait for the "PFF doesnt know anything" crowd to give their completely subjective opinions.

To be fair, PFF grading is likewise subjective. I'd venture we have a few here that could do as well in individual play scoring, even if unlikely to come up with the backend formulas for some of it

Everything thinks our defense is fine, but between the 20's they have been average at best. Red zone has been the difference, but it could only last so long. All I have to say is F*** Y** Dareus and all of you who thought our defense has been fine without him. It was only a matter of time for a subpar offense to destroy us.

Not winning a Superbowl with todays defensive performance. Dont care who the QB is!

To be fair, PFF grading is likewise subjective. I'd venture we have a few here that could do as well in individual play scoring, even if unlikely to come up with the backend formulas for some of it

Correct. But at least their subjectivity is applied on a standard basis across the board, and not geared towards blasting/praising any specific player. At least i dont think.

Fact is TT was pretty much the only offense we had today. That is basically a literal statement when he leads the team in rushing as well - with 35 rushing yards.

You lose at the LOS on both sides and youre going to lose a lot of games.

For the last time, next year is only 16 mil + 2 in signing bonus.

NOT correct

15.5 million Option Bonus, $12 million base salary become fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2017

That is a 27.5M payout on the 3rd day of league year

Correct. But at least their subjectivity is applied on a standard basis across the board, and not geared towards blasting/praising any specific player. At least i dont think.

Fact is TT was pretty much the only offense we had today. That is basically a literal statement when he leads the team in rushing as well - with 35 rushing yards.

You lose at the LOS on both sides and youre going to lose a lot of games.

- 4th Quarter playcalling.

- tackling WTF

- we have literally no #3 or better NFL WR

For the life of me, I don't understand running the wildcat when ahead, with ball, in the 4th qtr. You keep theball in the hands of your best player - aside from Shady, it's TT.

Also, can't process why when Bills need to comeback, we don't have TT roll out on every play. He throws very well on the run. Suh knew right where to rush.

Gotdammit. Roll. Him. Out. It's not that hard.

Lynn layed an egg in the 4th qtr.

Did not help a gassed D out at all.

The offense couldn't run. Was that because Shady was hurt, or because the Dolphins D figured out Anthony Lynn? Whatever the cause, the cutback lanes Shady exploited weren't there and/or he couldn't get there even if they were.

Without Shady, and without Watkins and Woods, the O had a hand tied behind its back. The O line did OK for a while until the Dolphins D could just tee off on them.

With the O not able to stay on the field, the D wore down. Also of course this RB of Miami looks terrific. So many missed tackles by a good tacking Bills D.

The Bills have a good roster all around, with a few special players, and they need those special players to make their engine work. All the special players were hurt. Dareus, Watkins, McCoy are all elite talents. No Dareus, nothing clogging the middle and keeping the Dolphins O line from engaging with our LBs. Without Shady or the holes that Shady got through the past couple of weeks, no running game. Without W1 and W2, no passing game except a bomb to Glass.

Good job on STs. Great job by Lorax, all over the field.

1. @#$%ing Dareus. D-line got pwned by Miami O-line. I hadn't seen that many second-level blocks in forever. Bills LB's were either blocked out of the play or over-pursued. And that goes back to Mr Big Puff and his piss-poor conditioning. His suspension is now 7 games and going for 8. Tubogoo killed us this week, and we'll need him next week.

2. Miami D-line out-physicaled our O-line badly. They spent the entire game in the Bills backfield and harassing Tyrod.

3. Marquise Goodwin is our #1 WR now (nothing against 'quise, he played a good game other than the drop, but he's not a #1 in any existing alternate universe). We have no playmakers left on offense. Bills need to get a WR yesterday.

NOT correct

15.5 million Option Bonus, $12 million base salary become fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2017

That is a 27.5M payout on the 3rd day of league year

Right and when you amortize that option bonus the cap hit goes to his numbers, roughly.

You guys can just yell past each other on cash vs cap though

Right and when you amortize that option bonus the cap hit goes to his numbers, roughly.

You guys can just yell past each other on cash vs cap though

Also dont forget you are tied to him 2018 as well.

27.5M payout 3rd day of 2017 year

13M of 13M base salary in 2018 also guaranteed when option is picked up.

So you pick his option up he will he the QB for 2017 AND 2018.

Www.spotrac.com

$13M 2018 salary becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2017

I was at the game and Tyrod was not good. Inaccurate even on some of the completions the ball placement did not allow for run after catch. He also was not as Dynamic as normal creating plays with scrambles.

The lack turnovers are a plus, but against the Fish there were several plays where he needed to throw it in there and give receivers a chance to make a play. 2 plays where an accurate throw to Hunter in the end zone could've been scores.

It's getting close to the point where the team needs to admit he is what he is.

Jay Ajai - This guy was epically fantastic today. We were generally in good position but this guy broke tackles and was tough as nails

Jordan Mills- Got toasted all day

Adam Gase- stuck with the run when down by 2 scores and did not panic

Poor tackling lead to #1 and #3 so don't give the Dolphins nyy credit.

Yes PFF system has it's flaws.. however.. it is at least a systematic way of grading a player's performance.

There is a wide gap between the PFF high grade and label of "Another Flawless Performance" and some of the comments made by posters on this board who say that TT had an awful game and that he was the main reason the Bills lost. The answer is somewhere in between there certainly.. but I will trust that is much closer to the PFF grade than then anecdotal emotional grade given by some posters here.

It's really one simple reason:

1. Out coached/out game planned

We abandoned our run-first Offensive identity for no good reason and coupled it with horrible play calling. We refused to blitz/stack the box to knock Tanny off his game and stop the run. Miami coaches had their players hyped up to BULLY us, and we came out soft and flat and took it like a bunch of bitches (see: Landry hit and no retaliation).

Simple as that. Regardless of QB play or anything else.

I didn't see the game.... the pub I got to after the Twickenham game was only showing redzone... but pretty much ever play they did show was Ajayi running all over us.

This sounds boring and dull and very 1990s... but in the NFL if you can't run and stop the run you can't win.

This is where I'm at - I too missed the game, but if you had told me beforehand that Ajayi would run for 200+ yards, I'd have predicted an even bigger loss. What I want to know is what the issue was in run defense. They're light on talent, for sure (Corbin Bryant has been quietly awful all year), but usually you can scheme to stop the run, and Rex especially has been good at this over his career. It looks like they played yesterday with Mike Pettine's defense from 2013 and Chan Gailey's offense from 2012.

In any event, putting aside the really tired crusade by Major General Jerkoff, if Tyrod doesn't start throwing over the middle with anticipation than he'll be benched, if not this year, certainly next year. End of story.

Yes PFF system has it's flaws.. however.. it is at least a systematic way of grading a player's performance.

There is a wide gap between the PFF high grade and label of "Another Flawless Performance" and some of the comments made by posters on this board who say that TT had an awful game and that he was the main reason the Bills lost. The answer is somewhere in between there certainly.. but I will trust that is much closer to the PFF grade than then anecdotal emotional grade given by some posters here.

I'm saying a few here are as good, if not better... not that the overall reaction or worst are

1. The Missing: Watkins (WR1), Woods (WR2), Shady (RB1) - makes the O hard to go; Dareus might have helped up the middle

2. Couldn't stop the run: 200+ ouch

3. O-line / O play: Couldn't get anything going, likely should have just started Gillislee, Tyrod under pressure all day

Agree with all of this.

Suspect we started Shady to bring the Miami into the box so we could throw the ball. A better approach probably would have been to start MG and run the same kind of offense we've been running.

Agree with all of this.

Suspect we started Shady to bring the Miami into the box so we could throw the ball. A better approach probably would have been to start MG and run the same kind of offense we've been running.

If this is what we did then it was an absolutely awful idea.

We lost because they ran the ball down our throats and we made no adjustments to stop it. And on offense we didn't even try and get the ground game going. We were up we should have been sticking with the run. Gilleslee should have had 20+ carries and McCoy once they saw he wasn't good should have been on the bench. This team seems incapable of making halftime adjustments

Exactly.

They let a rookie run all over them. He broke tackles and we talked poorly.

The offense did enough to win this one.

Ajayi is a 2nd year guy - but I agree with the point.

EDIT: He is a Brit too so I can't be too down on the kid. Even if he did screw us.

Edited by GunnerBill

We lost because they ran the ball down our throats and we made no adjustments to stop it. And on offense we didn't even try and get the ground game going. We were up we should have been sticking with the run. Gilleslee should have had 20+ carries and McCoy once they saw he wasn't good should have been on the bench. This team seems incapable of making halftime adjustments

Yup.

And after 20 carries for TD Mike, our next most-used play should be a Tyrod scramble. Yesterday was the type of day where I felt like that would be the only play that would work.

Agree with all of this.

Certainly felt that way to me too - if so, that was the wrong plan! :beer:

To me, the Buffalo defense giving up 214 rushing yards to Ajayi is by far the biggest issue I have with today's game.

Most of the fan base knew the Bills QB is limited and without his two best WR's and the team's star RB injured it would be a tough game. The Bills were ahead in the game until the 4th quarter and the run defense just melted.

Yes, This. Good teams have one unit step up for another. Without McCoy and Woods, it was clear the Bills O was going to be struggling to put points on the board. We needed the D to "man up" and protect the lead we took into the 4th quarter, and they didn't.

I think the Bills coaching staff knew Miami was going to come in trying to stop the run anyway. After all, that is the Bills' strength. If you take that away from them, the Bills are a pretty bad offense.

And I think the Bills coaching staff (thinking that they are more important than the players once again) made the decision that they would try to change the offense to be something it isn't just for this game. They tried to win the game through creative coaching rather than trying to let the offensive line do what they are best at - which is push other people around.

The Bills should have been pounding the fins religiously and relentlessly with Mike G trying to setup the unexpected big play to Goodwin, Hunter or one of the Tight ends.

Couldn't run

Couldn't stop the run

Didn't pass protect very well either. QB stayed under pressure.

That'll do it every time

Agree with all of this.

That would have made too much sense.

YES they did. Big time.

The two that stick out.

Tyrod Missing Goodwin on the slant. - not as meaniningful.

BIG one After the Bomb to Goodwin, Meeks could have and should have had a pick. (during the 4 game win streak Robey made the play) Meeks did not. End result Phin TD and right back in the game

My one contribution:

Their defensive game plan did not take Miami's running game seriously. The game plan looked a lot like last year's game plan.

I'm not calling Dennis Thurman lazy but I think he stuck with what worked because it worked well last year.

If the defense contains the run yesterday, it is a Bills win.