A broad look at GM Candidates

This article is from January so forgive me if some of the names have changed: good for a read though

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2016/01/07/2016-nfl-general-manger-candidates/

I really liked the way the article lays out the possible choices - shows you how difficult it can be to nab a stud up-and-comer. And again we see the top tier organizations are all way ahead: grooming replacements and paying them to ensure they stay put until it's their time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article is from January so forgive me if some of the names have changed: good for a read though

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2016/01/07/2016-nfl-general-manger-candidates/

I really liked the way the article lays out the possible choices - shows you how difficult it can be to nab a stud up-and-comer. And again we see the top tier organizations are all way ahead: grooming replacements and paying them to ensure they stay put until it's their time.

There are so many random titles in the NFL... The GM can become VP of personell, and then move someone else into the GM role that they like, rather than lose them.

Rankings for me

Top Tier - Likely wont accept an interview (but still reaching out)

Eric DeCosta

Eliot Wolf

Nick Caserio

2nd Tier - Were I would likely be picking from (hopefully)

1. Trent Kirchner - As much as I hate the Seahawks I would love to poach their FO. This team as an amazing eye for talent in all rounds as well as finding the lower end UFA and turning him into a great player for them. They know the type of player they need on that team and know exactly where to get it.

2. Chris Ballard - One of the better talent evaluators in the game. Also on the Chiefs some might say are not overly talented however they like Seahawks know the type of player that they need. He was integral in helping Chiefs GM Dorsey remake a 2-14 roster into back to back winning seasons. Also a former coach, so knows and has shown how to connect with coaching staffs to see what type of player they need to fit the systems they want to run.

The other one that I think will be a good GM is Jim Manos - but that would be a Hard sell to Bills fans promoting from within. However he is very respected in this league and will start getting interviews soon enough I think.

IMO, interview Caserio, make him very, very well paid, and most importantly, give him the keys to the car, promising nearly limitless resources to building scouting, conditioning, A/V, etc.

Caserio would be the perfect guy.

He turned down the GM job in Miami not long ago, preferring to stay in NE.

He'd likely do the same here too. If Pegula offered him total control and made him the highest paid GM in football, maybe Caserio's views on moving would change.

Caserio would be the perfect guy.

He turned down the GM job in Miami not long ago, preferring to stay in NE.

He'd likely do the same here too. If Pegula offered him total control and made him the highest paid GM in football, maybe Caserio's views on moving would change.

He would have to be in a high role like President or at least President of the Football-Wing of the team. Free to build and change everything to his liking.

That would rock the boat of the old/current guard here too much and I dont see the Bills offering that.

I like both the Vice President of Player Personnel and the Director of Pro Scouting from Arizona.

Terry McDonough

Terry McDonough is an old school personnel man who would not be flashy but has played a really crucial role in the rebuilding of the Arizona roster. Quentin Harris (who I might actually prefer) is their Director of Pro Scouting and who has been involved in the decisions they have made in bringing in the likes of Veldeer, Iupati, Rucker and Carson Palmer who have been major contributors for that team. He was also the guy who decided that Chris Johnson, Red Bryant, Evan Mathis and Dwight Freeney had enough tread left on the tires to help the team. There is a tendency to think about a GM just in terms of drafting... but finding those right FA and dust settled guys to fill out the roster and bring experience and a winning attitude is vital too.

Five years or so ago, likely Doug Whaley would have been on this list at least at the bridesmaid level if not the "in-waiting"

My point, you have just as good a chance of having the same issues in another five years unless you get the right guy, and no one really knows when they have the right guy till a few years after he's hired.

A GM will only accept the job if they've got a measure of control over the team. If I'm a prospective candidate, I get assurance that no one outside of the people I hire in the front office interferes in football operations, save for ownership. Anyone else, specifically Russ "Mr. Smithers" Brandon will have nothing to do with decision making on that side of the house. Period.

That hasn't been the case at any point in the 16 years of failure.

Rankings for me

Eric DeCosta

Eliot Wolf

Nick Caserio

1. Trent Kirchner - As much as I hate the Seahawks I would love to poach their FO. This team as an amazing eye for talent in all rounds as well as finding the lower end UFA and turning him into a great player for them. They know the type of player they need on that team and know exactly where to get it.

2. Chris Ballard - One of the better talent evaluators in the game. Also on the Chiefs some might say are not overly talented however they like Seahawks know the type of player that they need. He was integral in helping Chiefs GM Dorsey remake a 2-14 roster into back to back winning seasons. Also a former coach, so knows and has shown how to connect with coaching staffs to see what type of player they need to fit the systems they want to run.

The other one that I think will be a good GM is Jim Manos - but that would be a Hard sell to Bills fans promoting from within. However he is very respected in this league and will start getting interviews soon enough I think.

Everyone who want to replace Doug is wasting there time. Like it or not he is here for the long haul Kim & Terry love him. Stop hitting your head against that rock and look for players for a coach that can utilize the Talent . Hugh Jackson or Schwartz sure look nice right about now.

We don't have a problem with GM/Talent evaluation; Whaley is as good as they get at that. We have the most talented roster in 10-15 years.

Pegs probably just picked the wrong head coach whom the game may have passed by a bit. That can be fixed (of course at the expense of half dozen more losing seasons....)

We don't have a problem with GM/Talent evaluation; Whaley is as good as they get at that. We have the most talented roster in 10-15 years.

Pegs probably just picked the wrong head coach whom the game may have passed by a bit. That can be fixed (of course at the expense of half dozen more losing seasons....)

So do we just go with the status quo if this season crashes and burns? Fire the head coach... who chooses a new one? Do we trust Pegula/Brandon/Whaley who brought Rex? Brandon/Whaley who brought Marrone?

I like Whaley for the most part... but to me, it doesn't seem like he runs a tight ship. Always seems pretty laid back and nonchalant. Not necessarily a bad thing, but for a position like that, I would prefer someone a little higher strung. He is very good at finding defensive players (although the defense is burning down). He has yet to find any real offensive players to the point that there are major depth issues across the board, and it doesn't look to get much better

Even if they keep Whaley and/or Rex, there is going to be an ultimatum, real or implied, which will cause people to act in a way that is not the best for the Bills' future. That is what brought about the Watkins trade and I am sure they would possibly reach in the 2017 draft and offseason. Maybe double down and keep Tyrod around when it wouldnt be great for the future.

IMO the best thing they can do is bring in someone from the outside with no connections and empower them to build from the top down. The sooner they do it, the better. It IS going to happen. It is whether we want to wait a few more years of this to get started or not

So do we just go with the status quo if this season crashes and burns? Fire the head coach... who chooses a new one? Do we trust Pegula/Brandon/Whaley who brought Rex? Brandon/Whaley who brought Marrone?

I like Whaley for the most part... but to me, it doesn't seem like he runs a tight ship. Always seems pretty laid back and nonchalant. Not necessarily a bad thing, but for a position like that, I would prefer someone a little higher strung. He is very good at finding defensive players (although the defense is burning down). He has yet to find any real offensive players to the point that there are major depth issues across the board, and it doesn't look to get much better

Even if they keep Whaley and/or Rex, there is going to be an ultimatum, real or implied, which will cause people to act in a way that is not the best for the Bills' future. That is what brought about the Watkins trade and I am sure they would possibly reach in the 2017 draft and offseason. Maybe double down and keep Tyrod around when it wouldnt be great for the future.

IMO the best thing they can do is bring in someone from the outside with no connections and empower them to build from the top down. The sooner they do it, the better. It IS going to happen. It is whether we want to wait a few more years of this to get started or not

Brandon has way to much influence on the Football side of the house, and the way the Power Structure is at Buffalo they have made Whaley nothing more than a Head Scout.

Rankings for me

Eric DeCosta

Eliot Wolf

Nick Caserio

got any NO WAY candidates?

Whoever knows what an NFL QB should look like is the guy I want. I don't care if hew whiffs on everything else - FIND SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT A QB SHOULD LOOK LIKE!

they work for the eagles.

sure we do, that's why we are continually in mediocrity and what he has done for offensive talent is quite poor but has been decent with defense.

I think the obvious choice for GM has been staring at us all this time...Jerry Sullivan. The guys knows everything that's wrong with this franchise. He ought to know how to fix it in a jiffy.

On a serious note, if we are going to blow things up, let's hire the czar first, GM next, and let them hire the head coach. No more retrofitting.

Eric DeCosta, that's the only guy that's worth giving a shot. He's been under Ozzie Newsome who IMO is the best GM in the league and has been for quite a long time.

Well then we are hiring no on, because every year it is the same thing with DeCosta, everyone looking for a GM wants him and he refuses to interview.

Well then we are hiring no on, because every year it is the same thing with DeCosta, everyone looking for a GM wants him and he refuses to interview.

Yeah he's probably got it good where he's at. I don't blame him really, he's learning from the best and probably getting paid great with no real worries. I doubt Whaley goes anywhere anyways he just signed a contract extension.

He is Newsome's successor.

That's what is being said amongst league circles he has 0 plans on leaving BALT and would take an absolute Dream Opportunity to get him to consider it. Sorry the Bills are not that dream opportunity

Yeah he's probably got it good where he's at. I don't blame him really, he's learning from the best and probably getting paid great with no real worries. I doubt Whaley goes anywhere anyways he just signed a contract extension.

That means nothing to Pegulas. They are paying ALOT of people NOT to work for them

That's what is being said amongst league circles he has 0 plans on leaving BALT and would take an absolute Dream Opportunity to get him to consider it. Sorry the Bills are not that dream opportunity

That means nothing to Pegulas. They are paying ALOT of people NOT to work for them

This whole organization terribly run, from the top down. It's going to take more than a new GM to turn things around.

This whole organization terribly run, from the top down. It's going to take more than a new GM to turn things around.

No it wont.....

Hire a GM, that doesn't have to listen to or take any recommendations from Russ Brandon. (speaking of which he should have no recommendations in that future GM either).

Then Put everything Football Related under the GM he has complete control to do whatever he wants on the football side of the house.

No it wont.....

Hire a GM, that doesn't have to listen to or take any recommendations from Russ Brandon. (speaking of which he should have no recommendations in that future GM either).

Then Put everything Football Related under the GM he has complete control to do whatever he wants on the football side of the house.

A good GM wont even want to work here with the current structure.

If Brandon is involved in a process, they would 'settle' on a GM who agrees to the groupthink.

IMO they will keep Whaley and heap everything on Rex as their next scapegoat and act like he was some sort of foreign body who infected their team against everyone's will (as they do with all their scapegoats). They will look for a new coach and the team will be careful to make Whaley appear to be at the forefront of the search (with Brandon and Pegula in the background). Its predictable

Wouldn't you say the same about Brandon?

Brandon will never go anywhere either because he's extremely good at marketing.. If Brandon sticks to that part hes awesome, if he's involved in coaching and player decisions then that is a huge issue. I also hope Terry and Kim have learned a lesson as well.. We love you we thank you but let the GM run the actual team and trust your GM.

Let Whaley run the show on the coach next year and lets see how he swims with all the team decisions on his shoulders...

Edited by ddaryl

Control with Brandon isn't the main issue. There's a reason all these guys are staying put in winning organizations, they aren't on the clock for a 3-5 year turn around project. As much as the NFL wants to say there's parity, the gap between successful organizations and losing ones continues to grow wider every year. These up and coming GM candidates are highly educated individuals who understand the task they are up against when taking on an organization like ours, it's simply a risk/reward that is not worth taking. It's much better for your professional life (and family life) to stay in a winning organization, bide your time and hope to get the top job than to take on a tire fire organization, get fired in 5 years and end up scrambling to get anywhere near the job they left originally.

No it wont.....

You can't say No it won't and then say extra things that have to happen in order for it to work. What your saying is that Russ Brandon has his hands in too much of what's going on as far as the football side of things go. I agree. Which is why I said that it's going to take more than just a new GM. It's going to take a restructure of the way the front office operates. Like I was saying originally, the organization is ran terribly from the top down and it shows in every aspect.

Control with Brandon isn't the main issue. There's a reason all these guys are staying put in winning organizations, they aren't on the clock for a 3-5 year turn around project. As much as the NFL wants to say there's parity, the gap between successful organizations and losing ones continues to grow wider every year. These up and coming GM candidates are highly educated individuals who understand the task they are up against when taking on an organization like ours, it's simply a risk/reward that is not worth taking. It's much better for your professional life (and family life) to stay in a winning organization, bide your time and hope to get the top job than to take on a tire fire organization, get fired in 5 years and end up scrambling to get anywhere near the job they left originally.

...or they can get paid a lot of money, and succeed, making them a household name at the helm of a winning football organization with a rabid fanbase and a good owner.

...or they can get paid a lot of money, and succeed, making them a household name at the helm of a winning football organization with a rabid fanbase and a good owner.

Sure, one of us could also win the lottery. But the odds are against it, these highly educated young bright minds are all about playing the odds.

Whaley will be one of the hottest GM candidates on the market. If I'm his agent, I tell teams he had 2 coaches forced on him and he tried to make the best of it.

And GMs are prettt overrated. How to be a good GM: get a ton of draft picks, don't overpay old players, and find a good qb.