A broad look at GM Candidates

Whaley will be one of the hottest GM candidates on the market. I

And GMs are prettt overrated. How to be a good GM: get a ton of draft picks, don't overpay old players, and find a good qb.

Well based on your qualifications to be a good gm. Doesn't Whaley pretty much fail on every single critera you mention?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He failed on the qb thus far. What old player has overpaid? I pretty much agree with all their re-signings.

he spends draft picks as opposed to accumulate them. Silly move ups that don't pan put. or are just head scratchers. He may have learned that from nix. He overpsends on FA signings and trades. Over spending on older players is harder too quantify. Clay? well in a production based business he is way overpaid. Age-- he is in his prime. I understand the reason he did it. It is just not panning put at all. C. Williams 5 mil guaranteed. laughable.

I thought Harvin was over paid before his injury. Shady one of the weirdest extensions I can remember. Why? he was under contract? What did Whaley try too buy team loyalty of a douchebag?The guy did not want to be here and was butt hurt so throw $$$ at him? Good gm's do not do that. he is young in NFL years. His running style, miles, make that one of the most overpaid Bills on the roster IMO. shady plays hard when he is healthy. Good for him.

Instead of restructing McKelvin he cuts him. The team could use the depth and it is only week 3.

I Really like Wood and Kyle. Both getting up there. two positions that at thier age he at the minmum needs to be thinking drafting replacements. Yea, like he thinks that far ahead. Are they overpaid? prbably Wood in particular. is Felton overpaid? Absolutely.

He cant find a place kicker so the only team in the NFL in 2016 that at times (1 game so far) carry's two on gameday is the Buffalo Bills. Last year they had 2 kickers all year.

I don't dislike the guy. He like the whole organization is simply nothing special. Marginal, average, mediocre they all fit for Doug.

Whaley is a middle of the road gm. He is respected and I agree he would get job offers. Great someone else can live in qb purgatory and 8-8 hell for awhile Because that is a Whaley team. Can't build an o-line to save his life. And well QB no ned to go there.

Except the Bills line was pretty good last year and after a dodgy week 1 played a pretty good game against probably the best front 4 in the league last week.

That's debatable about last week pass protection was good. the run game stunk. But the point is the o-line wasn't completely built by Whaley. The parts that work anyways weren't. I guess incognito is his big piece and it is huge. but zero depth and a unsetlled RT postion every year since he got promoted. I am not convinced on RG either.

he spends draft picks as opposed to accumulate them. Silly move ups that don't pan put. or are just head scratchers. He may have learned that from nix. He overpsends on FA signings and trades. Over spending on older players is harder too quantify. Clay? well in a production based business he is way overpaid. Age-- he is in his prime. I understand the reason he did it. It is just not panning put at all. C. Williams 5 mil guaranteed. laughable.

I thought Harvin was over paid before his injury. Shady one of the weirdest extensions I can remember. Why? he was under contract? What did Whaley try too buy team loyalty of a douchebag?The guy did not want to be here and was butt hurt so throw $$$ at him? Good gm's do not do that. he is young in NFL years. His running style, miles, make that one of the most overpaid Bills on the roster IMO. shady plays hard when he is healthy. Good for him.

Instead of restructing McKelvin he cuts him. The team could use the depth and it is only week 3.

I Really like Wood and Kyle. Both getting up there. two positions that at thier age he at the minmum needs to be thinking drafting replacements. Yea, like he thinks that far ahead. Are they overpaid? prbably Wood in particular. is Felton overpaid? Absolutely.

He cant find a place kicker so the only team in the NFL in 2016 that at times (1 game so far) carry's two on gameday is the Buffalo Bills. Last year they had 2 kickers all year.

I don't dislike the guy. He like the whole organization is simply nothing special. Marginal, average, mediocre they all fit for Doug.

Whaley is a middle of the road gm. He is respected and I agree he would get job offers. Great someone else can live in qb purgatory and 8-8 hell for awhile Because that is a Whaley team. Can't build an o-line to save his life. And well QB no ned to go there.

Very nice post.

He'll get job offers, but not to be another GM, perhaps a scout. His resume is just too thread-bare for anything else. Too many people who have actually proven something in this league and never got another true chance like TD and Phil Savage to think otherwise.

Edited by Rico

That's debatable about last week pass protection was good. the run game stunk. But the point is the o-line wasn't completely built by Whaley. The parts that work anyways weren't. I guess incognito is his big piece and it is huge. but zero depth and a unsetlled RT postion every year since he got promoted. I am not convinced on RG either.

Miller has been our best player through two weeks. And that our line was decent last year is not debatable. I argue against the people who claim it was a top 5 line but it was certainly top dozen.

• 2 weeks later...

After total domination in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball, are we still excited about how much better Caserio can build a team than Whaley?

Was overpaying Chris Hogan the right answer for addressing an injured WR corp?

Is there ANY position the Patriots are stronger than the Bills at besides HoF QB?

While 0-2 was too early to make the full determination.... 2-2 certainly is too. If this team makes a run to 10-6 Ill be thrilled. Even 9-7 Ill be happy. 8-8 is OK too depending on the path taken.

While I am ecstatic over that win, and the fashion of the victory.... I am hesitant to dance on the graves of the Patriots proclaiming the Bills are better. They are on pace for 12-4 with Garrapolo and Brissett.

While 0-2 was too early to make the full determination.... 2-2 certainly is too. If this team makes a run to 10-6 Ill be thrilled. Even 9-7 Ill be happy. 8-8 is OK too depending on the path taken.

While I am ecstatic over that win, and the fashion of the victory.... I am hesitant to dance on the graves of the Patriots proclaiming the Bills are better. They are on pace for 12-4 with Garrapolo and Brissett.

I'd be foolish to do such a dance as well. But I'm talking about talent acquisition and looking at a player for player, or unit for unit comparison. Does it look like the Pats address their weaknesses any better than we do? Compare how they addressed their depleted WR corp versus how we addressed our LB corp this offseason.

The "it's only x amount of games" narrative only applies to the negative nancies. Got it.

This is where I'm at as well.

So sensitive, so defensive. No one is crowning anyone. Just like no one should have been calling for heads to roll just yet.

But I'd appreciate it if you took a crack at any of the questions I posted above.

After total domination in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball, are we still excited about how much better Caserio can build a team than Whaley?

Was overpaying Chris Hogan the right answer for addressing an injured WR corp?

Is there ANY position the Patriots are stronger than the Bills at besides HoF QB?

I'd take Gronk and Bennett over Clay and any other Bills TE. O-lines may be equivalent. I'd take Gostkowski over Carpenter. Otherwise Bills talent matches up well.

I'd like to nominate Les Miles to replace Rex Ryan as HC at the end of the year.

Les was recently let go from LSU.

I nominate Dauber from the TV show Coach. He comes from the Craig T Nelson coaching tree. That Jerry Van Dyke guy is too old.

I'd take Gronk and Bennett over Clay and any other Bills TE. O-lines may be equivalent. I'd take Gostkowski over Carpenter. Otherwise Bills talent matches up well.

TEs, sure. Kicker, for sure.

OL, ehhh. I feel like they've been protected by a QB who releases the ball in 1.7sec, and even JimmyG who gets it out <2sec. I like where our OL is compared to theirs.

So that's about it though.

If take their WRs too.

Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, and Mitchell

over

Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and Powell

:wacko: No way. Especially when you consider they are paying Edelman, Amendola, and Hogan all $4M/year! I dont see the talent, or value there, or the savvy team building.

Edited by DrDareustein

TEs, sure. Kicker, for sure.

OL, ehhh. I feel like they've been protected by a QB who releases the ball in 1.7sec, and even JimmyG who gets it out <2sec. I like where our OL is compared to theirs.

So that's about it though.

Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, and Mitchell

over

Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and Powell

:wacko: No way. Especially when you consider they are paying Edelman, Amendola, and Hogan all $4M/year! I dont see the talent, or value there, or the savvy team building.

Those receivers cost us a great deal of draft-assets though.

And while their OL is protected by the quick release, they did have the NFL's leading rusher through week 3. You can also argue that Buffalo's OL is aided by an extremely mobile QB and one of the most elusive RBs.

Anyways, like has been said by some. The NFL isn't so much a talent spread/gap as much as it is getting millionaire players and coaches to fully commit, do the homework, prepare, and execute. That is why NE succeeds. They get guys who will do that, and they have a coach who seems to be capable of drawing that out of players.

The Bills may possibly have unified through the Thursday Night debacle and the following humilation and scrutiny. Rex may have found the nerve that gets the thing rolling. Very good signs in the last 2 weeks. Day off yesterday, everyone shows up.... Let's see if this season is different or they fall back to familiar patterns.

Edited by May Day 10

Those receivers cost us a great deal of draft-assets though.

And while their OL is protected by the quick release, they did have the NFL's leading rusher through week 3. You can also argue that Buffalo's OL is aided by an extremely mobile QB and one of the most elusive RBs.

Good points, good points.

I may argue a bit more for our WR corp, and the debate on value of draft picks versus cap room can go on for years, but will happily agree that our OL is as good as New England's.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

If we are going to point fingers at Whaley for having some mistakes, we need to compile a list of NFL GM's who have never been wrong ever. I'd like to know who these unicorns are.

Whaley's had more hits than misses. He's only just above the Mendoza line, so he'll be on the hot seat until we make the playoffs.

How about it, FD? Give me an example of a GM who never made a bad move.

If we are going to point fingers at Whaley for having some mistakes, we need to compile a list of NFL GM's who have never been wrong ever. I'd like to know who these unicorns are.

How about it, FD? Give me an example of a GM who never made a bad move.

That's ludicrous. Who are you arguing with?

My biggest critique of Whaley are his tendencies to make awful decisions that are easily foreseeable. If he could tighten up those blunders, he'd be great.

That's ludicrous. Who are you arguing with?

My biggest critique of Whaley are his tendencies to make awful decisions that are easily foreseeable. If he could tighten up those blunders, he'd be great.

Such as? Please, I'm dying to know. (my guess: Shaq Lawson. Am I right?)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Signing Chris Williams to an ungodly amount of money, trying to re-sign CJ Spiller to name a few.

Hmmmm. I see your point. That Chris Williams signing reallllly set the franchise back a couple of years. <_< And are you mad that he did or didn't sign CJ?

So like I said, if Whaley is so god-awful, who do you think is better? Just name one.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Hmmmm. I see your point. That Chris Williams signing reallllly set the franchise back a couple of years. <_< And are you mad that he did or didn't sign CJ?

So like I said, if Whaley is so god-awful, who do you think is better? Just name one.

It was an idiotic signing. It was a total blunder that I can't even begin to understand. Do they need to be franchise-crippling to be mistakes? And yeah, when could we have ever used an extra $5M in cap space?

I think it was a really horrible decision to try to sign CJ. Just like it was a horrible decision to mismanage the QB situation for two seasons. If he could tighten that stuff up, he'd be great.

Ozzie.

Edited by jmc12290

Signing Chris Williams to an ungodly amount of money, trying to re-sign CJ Spiller to name a few.

Whaley hasnt been perfect but I agree hes hit more then hes missed which cannot be said for a lot of teams. The team is very talented and he has acquired a lot of talent at bargain prices. Do you guys remember how we ended up with Jerry Hughes? a straight up trade for Kelvin Sheppard. We traded Kiko for Shady straight up. The biggest mistakes Whaley has made are EJ and Sammy. It think trading 2 first-rounder for Sammy is awful and completely short sighted. But that said, you can do a lot worse for GMs.

It was an idiotic signing. It was a total blunder that I can't even begin to understand. Do they need to be franchise-crippling to be mistakes? And yeah, when could we have ever used an extra $5M in cap space?

I think it was a really horrible decision to try to sign CJ. Just like it was a horrible decision to mismanage the QB situation for two seasons. If he could tighten that stuff up, he'd be great.

Ozzie.

List of bad moves by Ozzie Newsome

Nobody's perfect, man.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well said, all of it!

Right now Whaley is just so very lucky that he has almost fallen into great situations. Like Spiller turning down, the money Buffalo offered and leaving for New Orleans. Like the Colts GM in foolishly thinking LBer, Jerry Hughes was a bad player and wanted just to rid the team of Polian's last number one pick so he trades away a pro bowl player for a bum.

The team needed a better O-line and QB and along comes Rex to vouch for Incognito and asks the team to go after Tyrod Taylor.

Right now this team looks great when the run game works and they have a lead and we don't know what the future looks like when the run game stops working and the defense doesn't have a lead. Or, how much effort the coaching staff will put into game planning against the entire remaining schedule.

Well said, all of it!

Right now Whaley is just so very lucky that he has almost fallen into great situations. Like Spiller turning down, the money Buffalo offered and leaving for New Orleans. Like the Colts GM in foolishly thinking LBer, Jerry Hughes was a bad player and wanted just to rid the team of Polian's last number one pick so he trades away a pro bowl player for a bum.

The team needed a better O-line and QB and along comes Rex to vouch for Incognito and asks the team to go after Tyrod Taylor.

Right now this team looks great when the run game works and they have a lead and we don't know what the future looks like when the run game stops working and the defense doesn't have a lead. Or, how much effort the coaching staff will put into game planning against the entire remaining schedule.

We had just gotten this thread back on a reasonable track too.

We had just gotten this thread back on a reasonable track too.

I was about to point out I think he's done a reasonable job with regard to the O-line. Does he not get credit for drafting Miller, signing Mills, or hell even extending Glenn? Those all look like solid moves to me.

Not valid based upon what I'm seeing. The OL is actually looking pretty good this season with Miller and Mills much improved.

That's not an excuse. Mistakes are mistakes.

So then what is your point about mentioning Ozzie, when he has made plenty of mistakes himself? Some as large, if not larger, than Whaley's finest. You know it took Ozzie 11 years to win his first Super Bowl after he inherited a team fresh off a SB victory in 2002.

And everyone makes mistakes, the key is whether people learn from their mistakes or if they continue to try the same crap. From the looks of the 1yr/less-than-$2M contracts handed out to vet free agents like Incognito, Mills, LorAx, and Zach Brown, it seems Whaley might have learned pretty quickly.

Of course, we're also neglecting to take market and need into account, and that can play into negotiations and skew numbers.

You seem awfully worked up for a couple of minor miscues. And I'm not sure I'd even count "trying to re-sign Spiller" when you add the proper context of "to a fair value contract". He never offered Spiller a big contract, or even what Spiller thought he was worth. Whaley had an accurate assessment of Spiller, and stuck to it. The horror.

Edited by DrDareustein

So then what is your point about mentioning Ozzie, when he has made plenty of mistakes himself? Some as large, if not larger, than Whaley's finest. You know it took Ozzie 11 years to win his first Super Bowl after he inherited a team fresh off a SB victory in 2002.

And everyone makes mistakes, the key is whether people learn from their mistakes or if they continue to try the same crap. From the looks of the 1yr/less-than-$2M contracts handed out to vet free agents like Incognito, Mills, LorAx, and Zach Brown, it seems Whaley might have learned pretty quickly.

Of course, we're also neglecting to take market and need into account, and that can play into negotiations and skew numbers.

You seem awfully worked up for a couple of minor miscues. And I'm not sure I'd even count "trying to re-sign Spiller" when you add the proper context of "to a fair value contract". He never offered Spiller a big contract, or even what Spiller thought he was worth. Whaley had an accurate assessment of Spiller, and stuck to it. The horror.

Promo asked me a question that I answered.

Worked up? How so? Because I've made two posts on the subject?

Spiller's fair value is a pack of gum, not $5M per. And mismanaging the QB position in today's NFL is not the definition of a minor miscue, IMO.

Edited by jmc12290