Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol haha.

He may be a billionaire but the guy obviously doesn't know **** about sports.

And you sir, know more about sports??

The guy grew 4 billion from a 10K investment. I think his brain is pretty powerful.. including sports.

How much do you make now? How much is in your savings account?

Greg Roman is being made a scapegoat in Buffalo. The offense didn't give up 37 points.

The Bills D hasn't played worth a dam in the last 2 seasons yet the OC gets fired. That's sounds about right. #saveyourass

In the NFL when things go wrong the decision makers start pointing their fingers at subordinates. It's the game of survival and sucks

They were just getting straight up beat. Sometimes upfield with no safety help, but other times just stopping and letting Darby Gilmore run right past them. It reminded me of what Sammy did to Revis last year.

I agree . straight up beat.

Fitz was actually very good last night. I saw spirals even.

But it was still a loss to middling team on both side of the ball.

Thats two in a row

Dave, he was tight ends coach at Stanford, he wasn't calling plays. That was David Shaw. Harbaugh brought him with him to SF, when Shaw wouldn't come/got the Stanford HC job. Harbaugh gave him his first OC job in SF. I'm sure Romans playbook is a lot like Harbaughs but that doesn't mean he can call plays and game plan as well as Harbaugh can.

So for me the success you are giving Roman in SF, because he was calling play under Harbaughs supervision, can be attributed to Harbaugh.

Thanks re Stanford. I will go back to the fact that the Bills offense last season was their best since 1999. Yet the OC was fired. Go figure.

its really bizarre as the spot to draw the line.

if he was worried about inconsistency and the issues mentioned, i dont know how you bring on Rob in the offseason.

It's not a justifiable move IMO given his ALL-IN mantra. After last night's carving up his defense by a marginal QB, the 1st place he should be looking is at himself. I can't see how he keeps any credibility with the players.

Greg Roman is being made a scapegoat in Buffalo. The offense didn't give up 37 points.

The Bills D hasn't played worth a dam in the last 2 seasons yet the OC gets fired. That's sounds about right. #saveyourass

In the NFL when things go wrong the decision makers start pointing their fingers at subordinates. It's the game of survival and sucks

Although these statements are true, Roman's game plan and the execution there of haven't done the defense any favors by putting them right back on the field time and time again.

I don't see any way that Pegs forces his second year coach to do this after only two games. He might express disgruntlement, but I just can't see something that heavy handed. Plus Rex is notoriously loyal - I think he'd be kicking and screaming if this weren't his move.

In my opinion, this is 100% Rex's move, good or bad. And Rex has never been knee-jerk about getting rid of people. So that makes me think there must have been disagreements of philosophy, play calling, time management, etc. And something last night (besides getting their ass kicked) pushed Rex too far. So he pulled the trigger, with the support of a pissed off owner.

I don't know whether it's a good decision or not, but I hated the play calling this year (and many times last year), and the lateness of getting in plays was so consistent as to be laughable.

Anyway, at least we have some drama to obsesses about, since we're not getting much joy out of the actual football games.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

By the way - Terry and Kim, good luck attracting top-tier coordinators from now on.

Please. Let's not act like anyone in the NFL business, or any business in general, aren't aware that this is how things work out.

Someone was getting fired. **** either runs down hill or someone falls on the sword. Even if Rex had the balls to fall on the sword now, Roman was gone once the session ended and the new coach was hired.

Any new coaches or coordinates know how the business game is played. Terry's money is still green enough to attract new personnel.

It's not a justifiable move IMO given his ALL-IN mantra. After last night's carving up his defense by a marginal QB, the 1st place he should be looking is at himself. I can't see how he keeps any credibility with the players.

i said it in another thread -- the explanations about last night, the move today (both fire and promotion).... things just arent adding up, which doesnt bode well for real turnaround.

the wheels really could be coming off quick. and with the hire of rob, and now putting his own guy at OC -- it just feels like hes circling wagons around himself

i said it in another thread -- the explanations about last night, the move today (both fire and promotion).... things just arent adding up, which doesnt bode well for real turnaround.

the wheels really could be coming off quick. and with the hire of rob, and now putting his own guy at OC -- it just feels like hes circling wagons around himself

well said.

I fully agree.

First random article i clicked on regarding Roman and the 49ers... Does this not sound familiar at all? Is it CK and TT, or is it Roman???

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick has drawn plenty of criticism, but CBS Sports Network analyst Chris Simms believes he’s been hurt by what he terms unimaginative passing schemes. Simms, 34, is a former quarterback who played parts of five seasons in the NFL.

“I would say (the 49ers have) one of the least creative passing schemes that I watch on film in a week-in, week-out basis,” Simms said. “The concepts are very simple. I don’t see a lot of new stuff from week to week.”

That said, Simms is also baffled by the fact that the 49ers’ passing attack doesn’t include some old staples, most notably short passes he thinks would help Kaepernick establish a rhythm.

“I don’t see wide receiver screens,” Simms said. “I don’t see running back screens. Very rarely are there easy slam-dunk completions, which are a part of any really good offense. It’s always 'Hey, it’s 3rd-and-9, Colin, can you throw a 100 mph strike for us 30 yards downfield?’ That’s what I feel they often ask of him.”

If it's just Simms I dunno but plenty here have critiqued the lack of screen plays.

Trent Dilfer had that piece where he critiqued the passing game schematically"

"

The tape tells him one thing: Taylor could use better teaching.

“We forget these coaches are supposed to be teachers," Dilfer said. "And when they’re not, it affects the players. And unfortunately, the NFL doesn’t have all good teachers. There are a lot of guys who have coached and have ‘OC’ by their name—it doesn’t mean they can teach. Usually you can tell if a quarterback’s being developed right by what his eyes and feet are doing. That offense doesn’t have a real flow to the passing game. The feet and the eyes don’t always match what’s going on downfield. That’s not a Tyrod Taylor issue. That’s a coaching issue.”

which also brought in critique from Billick:

"Dilfer's old coach with the Baltimore Ravens, Brian Billick, hinted at this point on our panel two weeks back, saying "It’s what’s being called and the way they want to play it. So it’s two different conversations: Is he (Taylor) operating within the offense and can they win that way vs. is he (Taylor) going to be a legitimate, elite, upper-echelon quarterback?”

Now whether Anthony Lynn can fix anything wrong there at this point in the season, who knows?

@jasoncoleBR

2 main problems for Greg Roman with #Bills. 1. Running game wasn't what Rex Ryan wanted. 2. Ryan was never comfortable with Roman from start

then why was he here from the start?

either its revisionist, or it wasnt his move. neither one is good.

Who the heck is Greg Gabriel?

@jasoncoleBR

2 main problems for Greg Roman with #Bills. 1. Running game wasn't what Rex Ryan wanted. 2. Ryan was never comfortable with Roman from start

Hoo boy. Talk about revisionist history - Rex went on and on about how he worked together with Roman in Baltimore and dreamed of hiring him someday!

If Rex (or his agent) is feeding this line out there ... wow. What BS.

Thanks re Stanford. I will go back to the fact that the Bills offense last season was their best since 1999. Yet the OC was fired. Go figure.

It's because for two straight games and for a good portion of last season the offense couldn't do the basic things that pro teams should do.

From a management's standpoint, the major things that felled the defense - communication, responsibilities and play calls were addressed and showed signs of improvement in the first two games. The offense has gone in reverse, with no apparent improvement to the things that went wrong last year.

Not saying that Rex is guilt free, but if I'm scoring a unit based on preseason expectation, the offense has to take the fall.

Jesus, does the person who fired him really think hiring an untested assistant in Week 3 -- after last year, which was decent and after our secondary laid an egg -- is going to make this team anything less than a Dumpster fire?

I repeat, We Are The Browns.

Factory of (Eternal) Sadness

Except the Browns are trying something different (finally). They gave up on the fool's errand of trying to patch together a couple free agents or a stretch of a draft pick at QB in a vain attempt to go 9-7 and squeak into the playoffs. They tore it down and are starting from scratch. So we are the Browns of 2014 ... still a year away from awareness that we're not just one WR or one run-stuffing MLB away from making the playoffs.

Anyone have any information of Anthony Lynn? Philosophies or tendencies? I'm assuming the scheme will remain quite similar. Just different play calling.. hopfully better?

he was rexs RB coach the whole time with the jets (so not really coordinator loyal/consistent there) and bounced around a little as a RB coach before.

his wiki states hes known for loving the ground and pound (which makes sense as a RB turned RB coach)

everything about philosophy listed though is about teaching and coaching style not scheme. which ties back to what ive been saying about leader of men more than scheme developer --- i dont know that but its what all the cards on the table show so far.