To those who were around during the last playoff games

Virgil

Does anyone remember a season where the fans and media gave up on this team so quickly? I've never seen it like this so early and that includes the 3-13 season. Maybe because that year, we knew we were going to be bad.

But seriously, I can't find a single article of hope, optimism, anything.

Does anyone remember a season where the fans and media gave up on this team so quickly? I've never seen it like this so early and that includes the 3-13 season. Maybe because that year, we knew we were going to be bad.

Honestly people were just as angry as they are now. They hated Wade Phillips because he spoke with a drawl and didn't wear a headset on the sideline. I'm not joking. Oh and there was the Flutie-vs-Johnson thing too.

It's pretty abysmal around here. Over a decade and a half of frustration and futility. I totally get it, and the seeming lack of discipline and poor game management at times isn't inspiring.

I'm not there, as I feel this team is very talented and certainly capable of stringing together wins. I'll stay positive, and take solice in my opinion that we just lost to one of the best overall teams in the NFL. The Jets are very, very good. Very solid defense, and pick your poison on offense.

How this team is able to rebound next week against the Cards will be telling. If we are 2-2 going into week 5 the fair weather fans will be cheerfully jumping back on the bandwagon.

We'll see. 16 game season...

It's pretty abysmal around here. Over a decade and a half of frustration and futility. I totally get it, and the seeming lack of discipline and poor game management at times isn't inspiring.

I'm not there, as I feel this team is very talented and certainly capable of stringing together wins. I'll stay positive, and take solice in my opinion that we just lost to one of the best overall teams in the NFL. The Jets are very, very good. Very solid defense, and pick your poison on offense.

How this team is able to rebound next week against the Cards will be telling. If we are 2-2 going into week 5 the fair weather fans will be cheerfully jumping back on the bandwagon.

We'll see. 16 game season...

So, one of us at 0-3? 😉

I agree, but the larger issue is that while no HC should be held to the standard of years gone before them - in reality, they are. These years of poor play and missing the playoffs has gotten so monotonous and painful, when any spark of hope arises, it lights a fire that makes you love the game again, love the team again, and gives you that old game day feeling when you couldn't wait to watch your team play -- and WIN! But now....I've become listless in terms of my energy for the team. And I'm afraid Pegula will just allow this to continue for "continuity's sake". As for injuries and suspensions, do we REALLY need to reference the Pats??? I know they're hated and often for good reason, but when you lose Brady to a suspension (most of which is just b.s.) and Gronk to an injury, and go into AZ and win....that's organizational success. The difference between a stellar franchise and one who just exists....and yes, all of those words tasted like death as I type them, but they're true. #Washmymouthoutwithsoap

Problem is we have had a history dating back to Losman & Edwards of starting out hot and the collapsing. Starting 5-1 and finishing 6-10 was pretty standard.

Yea I remember those. Or even just winning the first game.

The NFL is so odd, I mean Ron Rivera went 7-9 in his first 2 seasons and so did Pete Carroll. Now look at those franchises.

Not even after we lost the third Super Bowl.

I am exactly where I should be, I have quietly kept a lot of my negative opinions to myself, with the ocassional outburst, but when they let Jim schwartz go, I said it right then and there in several texts that this team will regress until Ryan is fired. I truly think this is arguably one of the worst coaching staffs thet team has ever fielded, and that's even considering the stupendous Hank Bullogh era, AND never before has there been a thinner depth of talent at all positions, and an even weaker starting cast.

The team has, in no particular order:

Player Summary

1. Average/Below average talent at QB

2. Below average talent WR corps INCLUDING Sammy

3. Below average talent RB

4. No talent at TE

5. Average/Below average talent O-Line

6. No talent at FB

7. Below average talent at Safety/Secondary INCLUDING Gilmore

8. Average/Above average OLB

9. Average/Below Average ILB

10. Above average DE-D-Line.

Coaching Summary

***** League worst coaching staff just after Cleveland and Washington

That Crap-Salad will yield 4-6 wins. The media noise keeps us all hooked right up until Week 1 Kickoff. after that, there is just game day proof. Mark this post and slam me if I am even close to wrong. After 17 years of this trash, I am almost to the point of walking away. The only reason I don't honestly, is my LOVE for Buffalo, and of the team when they were good for those wonderful 8 years.

Yes.... let that last statement actually sink in.... 8 years. this team was really only great for 8 years. 56 years of paltry existence really makes you wonder why you even care. I am so grateful for having my weekend not cluttered by this crap now that the Thursday embarrassment is behind us. I can't wait for the Bye week. Sadly, like a drug or a car wreck, I just can't stop watching or caring fully.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

They hated Wade Phillips because he spoke with a drawl and didn't wear a headset on the sideline. I'm not joking.

If Wade didn't have to speak to the media he might have coached the team for 10 years+. He was a good coach who said some of the worst things possible whenever he spoke, "punt catcher" and "both teams are out of it" immediately come to mind...

As far as the OP, 2 games might as well be 6 or 7 during this drought. 10 wins might not make the playoffs in the AFC again this year, so does anyone believe the Bills can go 11-3 the rest of the way?

Things were much more grim in the mid-80s than they are now - fans and media gave up on the team before preseason games started.

There was no realistic expectation they would finish above .500 and in '85 nobody was shocked when they posted a second consecutive 2-14 record.

Rich held 82,000 people and while I don't recall exact numbers, it seemed half full at best. - and half of the people that were there rooted for the visiting team.

So yeah, it's been worse IMO.

Edited by Campy

I remember the days before the 90s (current team has nothing on some of those crapfests) and the glory days starting about 1988. We all believe they can be good again, but look around the league. Most teams are in the same boat as us. We just ran into some bad luck over the last decade and barely missed the playoffs a few times when we should have made them.

Think about what it took to get those SB teams.

1. Fleecing of the Cowboys in that trade by Polian that got us a lot of good players

2. Taking a chance by drafting Kelly when he wasn't going to the NFL

3. Taking a chance on Thurman Thomas with that bad leg.

4. Chemistry between Marchibroda and Kelly

5. Able to build an OL before free agency came in.

The success of the Patriots in light of everything is nothing short of incredible. Yeah there was cheating and probably still is, but they have build a system that seems to work and is not dependent on particular coaches or even personnel. I just hate them.

I remember the days before the 90s (current team has nothing on some of those crapfests) and the glory days starting about 1988. We all believe they can be good again, but look around the league. Most teams are in the same boat as us. We just ran into some bad luck over the last decade and barely missed the playoffs a few times when we should have made them.

Think about what it took to get those SB teams.

1. Fleecing of the Cowboys in that trade by Polian that got us a lot of good players

2. Taking a chance by drafting Kelly when he wasn't going to the NFL

3. Taking a chance on Thurman Thomas with that bad leg.

4. Chemistry between Marchibroda and Kelly

5. Able to build an OL before free agency came in.

The success of the Patriots in light of everything is nothing short of incredible. Yeah there was cheating and probably still is, but they have build a system that seems to work and is not dependent on particular coaches or even personnel. I just hate them.

Sounds like we won the off season more than a few times way back when...

I am exactly where I should be, I have quietly kept a lot of my negative opinions to myself, with the ocassional outburst, but when they let Jim schwartz go, I said it right then and there in several texts that this team will regress until Ryan is fired. I truly think this is arguably one of the worst coaching staffs thet team has ever fielded, and that's even considering the stupendous Hank Bullogh era, AND never before has there been a thinner depth of talent at all positions, and an even weaker starting cast.

Player Summary

4. No talent at TE

6. No talent at FB

Coaching Summary

That Crap-Salad will yield 4-6 wins. The media noise keeps us all hooked right up until Week 1 Kickoff. after that, there is just game day proof. Mark this post and slam me if I am even close to wrong. After 17 years of this trash, I am almost to the point of walking away. The only reason I don't honestly, is my LOVE for Buffalo, and of the team when they were good for those wonderful 8 years.

Yes.... let that last statement actually sink in.... 8 years. this team was really only great for 8 years. 56 years of paltry existence really makes you wonder why you even care. I am so grateful for having my weekend not cluttered by this crap now that the Thursday embarrassment is behind us. I can't wait for the Bye week. Sadly, like a drug or a car wreck, I just can't stop watching or caring fully.

I can't stop either.

Sounds like we won the off season more than a few times way back when...

Don't forget the Biscuit trade....

Once Polian was canned that was it. It took a few years to decline, but we have been going down the drain since then. I know some love Butler, but his drafts especially the last couple were nothing special....

I'm 42, and the last real excitement this team gave me, I was still a teenager. When I think about that I'm like,wow!

I had a moment last night, early in the game they showed a young kid in the stands maybe 10-12 years old holding his face and it hit me that I was younger than him back during the super bowl runs.

Once Polian was canned that was it. It took a few years to decline, but we have been going down the drain since then. I know some love Butler, but his drafts especially the last couple were nothing special....

Butler put all his eggs in one basket and built a team that was going make a one run, knowing that the salary cap would tear it apart the following year.

Edited by ricojes

I had a moment last night, early in the game they showed a young kid in the stands maybe 10-12 years old holding his face and it hit me that I was younger than him back during the super bowl runs.

My daughter just turned 20, and supports the Bills because of her old man. But it's sad, she has never seen them as a winner! Oh how I miss those days to which you speak of....

I'm 42, and the last real excitement this team gave me, I was still a teenager. When I think about that I'm like,wow!

I'm 39 and feel the same way....

Butler put all his eggs in one basket and built a team that was going make a one run, knowing that the salary cap would tear it apart the following year.

This is true. The the San Diego exodus happened and Ralph lost the entire front office and then the Emperor rose to power with Darth Guy Modrak...

My parents went to every SB, so of course I had a party for every SB. I was finally of legal drinking age for the 3rd one, those were fun times. Anyone remember going to the Buffalo Sports Garden on Elmwood across from Channel 4 back in the day. that was a cool place to watch a game and it was huge and packed.

That's right. I was trying to remember exactly how we got him. I believe he was in that monumental trade of Greg Bell.

My parents went to every SB, so of course I had a party for every SB. I was finally of legal drinking age for the 3rd one, those were fun times. Anyone remember going to the Buffalo Sports Garden on Elmwood across from Channel 4 back in the day. that was a cool place to watch a game and it was huge and packed.

I feel like I took a lot of that for granted; I willfully ignored the crap years and team history before. Sometimes you don't know what you got till it's gone :(

That's the truth: We've never recovered from losing Polian.

You're right about Butler too, especially his last two offseasons. Not only did he pick poorly, he also negotiated some bad contracts. He really stuck it to Ralph and the Bills late in his tenure. I think he knew he was leaving.

Player Summary

4. No talent at TE

6. No talent at FB

Coaching Summary

This!!!

Perfectly stated.

Only thing to add is this is just a bunch of assembled parts, not s team and certainly not an organization. Just a bunch of factions.

I'm embarrased😳

I think it is disheartening because you can see the talent on this roster, but the results just aren't there. Whether it be coaches, players, schemes, injuries, suspensions, schedule, whatever, we just don't have that "click" that "gel" with anything on this team right now. Tyrod is looking like Losman part deux, Roman's play calling is trash, Rob Ryan's defense is Rob Ryan's defense, and Rex is Rex. It really is a hot mess right now in the B-Lo.

I got hooked on the Bills by OJ's 2,003 yards in 1973. We went to the playoffs the next year if I recall and it was all downhill from there for about 5 years as I recall. The 2-12 year was the nadir and the only year I can remember being as depressing as this one.

I am bothered by the demeaner of Rex Ryan....both on the sideline and when he speaks

He sounds like a defeated man

That scares the crap out of me

The team has taken on the personality of the head coach, too. Body language is not good right now, it is not a team united for a common purpose.

I was a kid during the OJ years and remember them, but the team that really grabbed me was the '80-'81 Chuck Knox group. Sadly, they all got old really fast and at the same time (because Chuck brought over a lot of veterans he knew from his Rams days), and then when he left the cupboard was bare for a few years. But while that was happening, Polian was quietly assembling a juggernaut. I was in college during the Super Bowl years and my daughter was born during their last playoff run. She is 17 now and a senior in high school; like her mother, she hates football and I doubt that would be any different even if the Bills were good. But my poor son is 13 and has been a die-hard since he was five. Maybe before that. It saddens me to know that he is already older than I was during the Knox heyday, and the best he's ever felt about the team was during those fool's-gold years when we won a few games early on only to crumble to 6-10 or 7-9.

My daughter just turned 20, and supports the Bills because of her old man. But it's sad, she has never seen them as a winner! Oh how I miss those days to which you speak of....

The last text I sent my son, who is freshman in college, last night was one apologizing for making him a Bills fan. Poor kid was less than two yrs old for music city miracle. Has always loved the Bills (as a non-native) and they have always sucked for him - but he's always been steadfast in his fandom, even through the dreck of the last 16 years. Geez - at least we had OJ and other beloved players to root for even through bad/mediocre teams when I was a kid - he's had to live through periods where the friggin punter was considered the best player.

I said last night, in 40+ years of fandom this is by far the earliest and deepest I've ever had the annual despair resignation that we suck again. Literally 5 days into the season! How pathetic to wait for months for the season to begin, and all the renewed hope and energy a new season brings, all to have it dissolve in 5 days?! WTF

The difference between bad teams in the old days, as people have mentioned, was there were usually little/no expectations- and some teams were lovable losers because they had some colorful characters and at least played hard or seemed to care. This sh!tshow is too much to take - stupid selfish players doing things to let the team and fans down, no one seeming to be on the same page, no universal semblance of organization, effort or caring. And ridiculous moronic coaching that took a top 5 defense and turned it into an embarrassment. I've never seen a team that looked like it was ready to run for the bus so much 5 days into the season. WTF