EJ Manuel

Honestly, what did I do this time? I said the guy is a worthy backup. That's more than some will give him. I'm not sure what was controversial about my post.

Who said anything about controversial? Condescending? Most definitely, but, not controversial.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think EJ Manuel will develop into a five year + starter who throws 30 + TD's in a season?

To be fair, Fitz has only thrown 30 + touchdowns once in his career and it was in his 11th year for his 6th different team.

I am closer to you though in where I think EJ ends up. He probably bounces around for another 5 or so years as a backup on 2 or 3 other teams after the Bills let him go.

To be fair, Fitz has only thrown 30 + touchdowns once in his career and it was in his 11th year for his 6th different team.

I am closer to you though in where I think EJ ends up. He probably bounces around for another 5 or so years as a backup on 2 or 3 other teams after the Bills let him go.

Jason Campbell is still in the league. I can see EJ having a long and lucrative career as a clipboard holder. Good for him, honestly.

This is such a total misrepresentation of that play it's funny. It was a quick swing pass to the RB, with the TE and WR on that side blocking downfield. Watt was unblocked by design, to get him to take himself out of the play (by committing to the inside, while the swing pass moved the play away from him). Watt read the play and jumped into the passing lane while Manuel was throwing. It was far less Manuel !@#$ing up than it was Watt making an awesome play.

And sometimes that happens. Sometimes the other guy just does things right.

Yup. It's like Russell Wilson's final pass in the SB. They did everything right in that play, and the pass was on target. 9 times out of 10, that's a TD. Malcolm Butler just made an amazing play. As you say, it happens, and it's not the QB's fault. Edited by dave mcbride

I watched the Washington game minus the scores by the Redskinslast night and thought EJ played reasonably well against 1st, 2nd & 3rd string defenses. He still has flaws, but I believe he is about as reliable an option as a backup for the Bills. I wonder whether they will offer him backup money or let him walk next year. I don't think Cardale Jones will be ready to back up Tyrod next year and am unsure of the QB class Buffalo will have an opportunity to draft.

Yup. It's like Russell Wilson's final pass in the SB. They did everything right in that play, and the pass was on target. 9 times out of 10, that's a TD. Malcolm Butler just made an amazing play. As you say, it happens, and it's not the QB's fault.

The only criticism I can level on EJ for that play is maybe waiting a hair longer to let Watt commit to attacking the QB, though it's hard to knock him for wanting to get the ball into Freddie's hands quickly on 3rd down.

A QB with any presence of mind would not have thrown the pass at Watt. Certainly the OL did EJ no favors , but boy was that a very poor decision to try to throw a pass .

99.9% of the time a pass like that gets batted down. It was dumb luck that Watt hung on to it.

A couple notes before I get started:

- I know I'm late to the convo

- I like EJ as our backup

- I'm not trying to dispute Hopeful's post, just adding additional context to the first and last paragraphs.

Not to whizz on anyone's biscuit and certainly not to argue that the QB depth chart should be changed, but we do realize that in 5 of the 8 games Tyrod won last year, he passed less than 20 times for an average of less than 180 yards? In the other three games he won, he passed less than 30 times for an average of about 200 yards? The 6 games where he passed more than 30 times, we lost, and never has he put up more than 300 yards.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the standard of good/promising QBing vs suckitude is here. I would say fair is fair, and if you're going to talk about how EEeeeeeJjjjj "only" had to pass 22 yards and "only" passed for 173 yards, or if the standard for a QB worth a damn is to pass >30 times for 300 yds at least occasionally, then by those standards we still don't have a QB worth a damn.

Me, I thought EJ has had some good games mixed in with some awful games, and I think Taylor is fun to watch and overall shows a higher level of QB play and more promise, but neither of them meet a gunslinger QB standard.

EJ Manuel Tyrod Taylor

16 Games Started 14 Games Started

19 Passing TD's 20 Passing TD's

4 Rushing TD's 4 Rushing TD's

1.44 TD's per Game 1.71 TD's per Game

15 INT's 6 INT's

4 Fumbles Lost 1 Fumble Lost

1.19 Turnovers per Game 0.5 Turnovers per Game

1.21 TD/Turnover Ratio 3.43 TD/Turnover Ratio

~211 Passing Yards per Game ~217 Passing Yards per Game

7 Games under 30 Attempts (5-2 record) 9 Games under 30 Attempts (8-1 record)

9 Games 30+ Attempts (1-8 record) 5 Games 30+ Attempts (0-5 record)

Overall Record: 6-10 Overall Record: 8-6

0 300+ Passing Yard Games 0 300+ Passing Yard Games

0 3+ Passing TD Games* 4 3+ Passing TD Games

*EJ did have a 3 TD game against Jax in 2013 if you count his rushing TD

I think the TD/Turnover ratio and the 3+ Passing TD games are why you feel the way you do in your last statement.

EDIT: Added YPG to the list.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

agreed. no.

He did seem prepared.

Not sure about that windup though.

What i liked was he knew he had a porous line at time and seemed to manage himself well. Maybe therapy has worked for him in regard to the JJ Watt trauma?

Nice write up E

Exactly! 99.9% of the time some bum like Watts catches a ball thrown right to him.

Just dumb luck for poor EJ.

yes that JJ was one lucky sob to be where he was too lol

Nice write up E

just my simple opinion.

you can tell I still wish him well. the road is long and winding. ya never know.

btw 91 thanks for the notice.

- I'm not trying to dispute Hopeful's post, just adding additional context to the first and last paragraphs.

EJ Manuel Tyrod Taylor

15 INT's 6 INT's

I think the TD/Turnover ratio and the 3+ Passing TD games are why you feel the way you do in your last statement.

Thanks for putting that together, Hokie! The difference in TD/turnover is striking. For me, it's been the 'eyeball test' and the better arm that have made the difference

I will say though, I think TT is lucky he doesn't have more fumbles lost. He actually fumbled 9 times last year, same as EJ's career, because he tries so hard to extend plays and makes something happen. (Of course the number you have is correct for fumbles lost). I got torched for bringing up without enough explanation of what I was talking about, but I figure every time the ball hits the ground, there's a huge element of luck involved in whether we get it back or not. It worries me.

You think we will trade ej Manuel to the Vikings?

Depends. Do you think we are in the business of winning or being the NFL's farm team ?

Sorry to rag on you but every time there is a major injury in the NFL, someone asks a question if one of our players should be traded to that team. CardaleJones is not ready, we need a proven backup. If we trade a key backup like EJ, I will truly believe that Whaley has lost his marbles.

Bills clearly featured EJ in Game 3 of preseason - or better - showcased him. Game 3 is the game everyone always say s the clear starter plays the most snaps. TT - 2 BS series only vs. the Skins.

Cardale is going to be good - quickly. Eye test already passed..

You are in denial if you think the Bills weren't getting ready to shop EJ as the season went on to shed that last year contract. TBwater going down speeds up AT THE VERY LEAST ONE team in shopping for a better BUQB .. think about that for a second..

Minnesoata would be stupid to not at least make the call - right now it's Shawn Hill and some dude I've never heard of as #3 and I'm a huge college fan .. Hill has looked really good so sky is falling factor isn't completely their fate but they have a literal nobody as #2 now.

EJ is extremely valuable to the Bills - but $ talks and offers will start coming in sooner than later based on this horrific injury to Teddy.

If Minnesota comes up with something ridiculous, like next year's 1st, and 2018's 2nd, EJ moves. If I'm the Bills, I settle for nothing less, and hell, I try to pry a third draft pick out of them, maybe 2018's 4th. Even better if we have a lot of suitors, we can drive the price up. For those of you scoffing, EJ leaves at the end of the year for nothing in return. No way we exercise his 5th year option, transition, or franchise him. If we can get something for him now, we should jump on it.

If Minnesota comes up with something ridiculous, like next year's 1st, and 2018's 2nd, EJ moves. If I'm the Bills, I settle for nothing less, and hell, I try to pry a third draft pick out of them, maybe 2018's 4th. Even better if we have a lot of suitors, we can drive the price up. For those of you scoffing, EJ leaves at the end of the year for nothing in return. No way we exercise his 5th year option, transition, or franchise him. If we can get something for him now, we should jump on it.

I would take less (a third) but hope your deal goes through. :thumbsup:

You think we will trade ej Manuel to the Vikings?

One can only hope.

I want him gone for 3 reasons: 1. he is not that good and Cardale can back up 2. we wont get anything for him next yr. 3. I never wanted him in the 1st place and it would finally end his horrible saga here.

EJ Manuel Tyrod Taylor

15 INT's 6 INT's

Doesn't show EJs horrible accuracy.