Bills power rankings

Beerball

The media ( and I) probably won't buy in this year no matter what they do until year end and we see what we have then. The market is too small for the media to care much in general, no big new star to market (other than Rex), the franchise is carrying 16 year old bags full of suck. It's going to take time. Look at the Bengals. Good team, tons of winning seasons... but you never hear much. Bills are kind of like that. Not really "marketable". Tiny fan base relative to most of the league. No stars. It's like Cincinnati, or Detroit-- who cares? It's Buffalo, for crissake .. who cares? Now the Raiders? Super marketable as they are "the Raiders". They have a brand.

Bills need to build a brand of some kind, based on something, not sure what it is. Maybe it's Rex's snarky personality (seriously). He may be it. Something for the media to build a brand around. Sounds corny, but that's what the franchise needs. A brand identity. Not sure what it is right now. Maybe TT takes it to the next level, becomes Russell Wilson with actual QB stats to go with it. Becomes Vick but with class. Something. We shall see.

Yeah, I like this post.

I find it really easy to root for the Raiders. Fun team to watch and Carr is the real deal.

That's gonna be a tough matchup.

Rex is certainly a big draw for the franchise. It would be great if he is successful here.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeesh, they can only play the teams in front of them...

True, but that doesn't change the circumstances they listed in the wins.

Bottom line, we have 3 wins that are not overly impressive. Cardinals seemed like it was until we saw the Cardinals struggle in every game but week 2 this year. Pats game was against a 3rd string rookie QB with a messed up hand and without a healthy Gronk. Rams game was against a team missing 2 of its studs on D that allowed us to run all over them and yet we were still very much tied until that pick 6 and the game was still up in the air until that muffed faked punt.

I love the wins, the Bills seem to be winning the games they should win, however, circumstances of those wins combined with our struggling passing game and missing our best receiver by a mile in Sammy gives us a lot of our own questions to how good we are.

We can win the next 2, and we should, and there still wont be a clear picture to where we are at as a team until that game against the Pats because the next 2 are bad teams we should absolutely beat...we need to win both those games and then we get to test the merit of this team against the class of the AFC this year against the Pats as they are easily the best team in the AFC, if not the NFL IMO.

'Eye test' reviews put us in the bottom half of the league, while 'blind metric based' reviews put us in the top half. Pretty interesting.

Last week, that difference in method, I would guess, likely accounted for the Rams being above us on many lists. That being said, I think the earlier in the season, the more I would trust the "eye test" method over general stats.

Bottom line, we have 3 wins that are not overly impressive. Cardinals seemed like it was until we saw the Cardinals struggle in every game but week 2 this year. Pats game was against a 3rd string rookie QB with a messed up hand and without a healthy Gronk. Rams game was against a team missing 2 of its studs on D that allowed us to run all over them and yet we were still very much tied until that pick 6 and the game was still up in the air until that muffed faked punt.

I love the wins, the Bills seem to be winning the games they should win, however, circumstances of those wins combined with our struggling passing game and missing our best receiver by a mile in Sammy gives us a lot of our own questions to how good we are.

We can win the next 2, and we should, and there still wont be a clear picture to where we are at as a team until that game against the Pats because the next 2 are bad teams we should absolutely beat...we need to win both those games and then we get to test the merit of this team against the class of the AFC this year against the Pats as they are easily the best team in the AFC, if not the NFL IMO.

What will you think about this team if they win the next two "winnable" games and then split with the Pats*** and Seahawks to hit the bye at 6-3? If they go into the bye week 5-4 instead?

@walterfootball

Week 6 NFL Power Rankings - http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

14. billsb_logo.gif Buffalo Bills (3-2) - Previously: 22.

Overrated NFL Team: The Bills have won three games in a row! They're great again! That's what the public is thinking, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Buffalo's three victories aren't overly convincing. The Arizona win was nice, but the Cardinals have since proven to be a middling team. Prevailing in Foxboro may look good on paper, but the Patriots' quarterback in that game, Jacoby Brissett, was so banged up that he needed thumb surgery immediately afterward. The Bills just beat the Rams, but Los Angeles was missing some key defenders and was still tied at 16 before Case Keenum's horrible pick-six.

Overrated is the only thing I would argue with there. This is the "all you can eat" part of the schedule where the Bills need to belly up to the bar, and they're doing that. Keep winning against everyone and the Bills can't be considered overrated.

The media ( and I) probably won't buy in this year no matter what they do until year end and we see what we have then. The market is too small for the media to care much in general, no big new star to market (other than Rex), the franchise is carrying 16 year old bags full of suck. It's going to take time. Look at the Bengals. Good team, tons of winning seasons... but you never hear much. Bills are kind of like that. Not really "marketable". Tiny fan base relative to most of the league. No stars. It's like Cincinnati, or Detroit-- who cares? It's Buffalo, for crissake .. who cares? Now the Raiders? Super marketable as they are "the Raiders". They have a brand.

Bills need to build a brand of some kind, based on something, not sure what it is. Maybe it's Rex's snarky personality (seriously). He may be it. Something for the media to build a brand around. Sounds corny, but that's what the franchise needs. A brand identity. Not sure what it is right now. Maybe TT takes it to the next level, becomes Russell Wilson with actual QB stats to go with it. Becomes Vick but with class. Something. We shall see.

Never under estimate the Buffalo diaspora all over the country. If we ever started to win the media would be stupid not to respond. There are far more Bills fans across this country than Bengals fans. The Bills as winner would be quite "marketable".

Call me crazy, but I thought the Bills were missing a few starters in those last 3 wins as well? The write ups make it sound like only our opponents are missing players. Either way they have us listed about where we belong in the middle. I doubt getting to 5 - 2 will cause much of a ripple either (if we get there).

Edited by driddles

Call me crazy, but I thought the Bills were missing a few starters in those last 3 wins as well? The write ups make it sound like only our opponents are missing players. Either way middle they have us listed about where we belong. I doubt getting to 5 - 2 will cause much of a ripple either (if we get there).

This is where I'm at as well. 14ish.

Funny that we have been underdogs a lot and when we win it's because of opponents injuries. Why not favor us then? We have big pieces out too...lol

@walterfootball

Overrated NFL Team: The Bills have won three games in a row! They're great again! That's what the public is thinking, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Buffalo's three victories aren't overly convincing. The Arizona win was nice, but the Cardinals have since proven to be a middling team. Prevailing in Foxboro may look good on paper, but the Patriots' quarterback in that game, Jacoby Brissett, was so banged up that he needed thumb surgery immediately afterward. The Bills just beat the Rams, but Los Angeles was missing some key defenders and was still tied at 16 before Case Keenum's horrible pick-six.

Our best defensive player (Marcell Dareus); our best offensive player (Sammy) with due respect to McCoy; our 1st and 2nd round draft choices; one of the best tackles in Glenn is hobbled yet it's the other teams injuries huh?

We beat Cinci and Seattle with a playoff bound record, then they might change their tune. Until then its Us vs the World!

Call me crazy, but I thought the Bills were missing a few starters in those last 3 wins as well? The write ups make it sound like only our opponents are missing players. Either way middle they have us listed about where we belong. I doubt getting to 5 - 2 will cause much of a ripple either (if we get there).

It doesnt fit their narrative that were only winning because OTHER teams have injuries. The only way to shut the media up is keep winning. on to SF!

Win the next two. They are games we should win and games we havw to have. Get to 5-2, feel good factor, momentum, confidence, then give the Patriots everything we got at home (following it we get a long week and then a bye). Even if we lose that New England game a loss where we are in it and close would have me whispering Jim Mora Senior's favourite "P" word.

Never under estimate the Buffalo diaspora all over the country. If we ever started to win the media would be stupid not to respond. There are far more Bills fans across this country than Bengals fans. The Bills as winner would be quite "marketable".

i always underestimate it. 30 years of experience tell me when the you say you're from Buffalo, the smiles start. Gonna take a long time to overcome what Jimmy Griffin did to that place in the public eye. From experience, I can tell you Buffalo has been a national joke punchline for as long as i can remember. I hope the Bills can cover that the way the Steelers and others do for their cities. Gonna take a long time. Start now.

@si_nfl

Week 6 Power Rankings: What’s wrong with the free-falling Panthers? (by @ChrisBurke_SI) http://on.si.com/2e5mq3C

The NFC teams in playoff position through five weeks: Vikings, Cowboys, Falcons, Seahawks, Packers and Eagles. In the AFC: Raiders, Steelers, Patriots, Texans, Broncos and Ravens (with the Bills tied for that final spot).

Obviously, a long road remains in the regular season, but teams currently outside the top six in their respective conferences aren't exactly lining up to storm the gates. In piecing together this week's Power Rankings, it was far more difficult finding teams deserving of spots in the top half than it was filling out the depths.

11 Buffalo Bills
Last Week: 12
Record: 3–2
Expectations have returned for the Bills, who really should move to 5–2 considering how their next two opponents (San Francisco and Miami) have been playing. And if they make that happen, might we request someone strap a microphone to Rex Ryan for the entire week leading up to Buffalo’s Week 8 rematch with New England?

+1. I would just add that AZ and NE were good wins and good teams can have bad games but still find a way to win, like we did with the Rams. Now, we're not a "good team" yet, but it is encouraging that we didn't screw the pooch against LA. Good teams also roll over teams they should beat and don't let them hang around. We will know if we are a good team in a couple of weeks, at the very least this team appears to be more resilient that years past where we would lay down and die at the first sign of trouble.

That very same Arizona team, that was NOT a quality win for us, is ahead of us in many polls. At 2-3 they are still considered "dangerous". But in week 3 they were not?

Since when do Polls override on field performance? Cards have been bad every week but 1 and that was week 2. So I don't care what the polls say, which have zero merit, no value, and are 100% rooted in speculation and opinion. The reality of the situation is that the Cards win is a quality win, no denying that. But because the Cards have been so bad, its hard to use that win as a game to gauge the quality of the Bills team after 3 straight wins. Reminds me of when we upset the Colts last year in week 1...big deal, Colts went on to prove they sucked, and so did we as it turned out that Colts win wasn't that big of a deal even though at the time it seemed impressive.

We beat a struggling team that was projected to be a lot better, we beat the best team in the AFC playing with an already injured 3rd string QB, and we beat a Rams team that has not been very good outside of its Defense that was missing 2 of its 3 best players on defense.

So the whole point is that people are making is that wins are great, but its hard to gauge how good or bad this Bills team is right now because of circumstances surrounding the opponents we beat as well as our own struggles with the passing game and missing Sammy. If this team is good, it will win both the next 2 games...we drop even one of those games and our playoff hopes begin dwindling very fast.

i always underestimate it. 30 years of experience tell me when the you say you're from Buffalo, the smiles start. Gonna take a long time to overcome what Jimmy Griffin did to that place in the public eye. From experience, I can tell you Buffalo has been a national joke punchline for as long as i can remember. I hope the Bills can cover that the way the Steelers and others do for their cities. Gonna take a long time. Start now.

Sure some people love to pick on Buffalo, but plenty of American cities are loaded with people that have Buffalo roots. There were at least 20,000 Bills fans at the LA game. This team is plenty marketable across the US if they started winning. They are a much bigger draw on the road than a team like the Bengals. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

@walterfootball

Was that by Mike Rodakent?

I think the early Power Polls going into week 7 on Bleacher Report has us at 9. I'm still a skeptic, but if we can put the phins away next week with another ground and pound win, I will be overly ecstatic to see the Bills v Pats game. That said, I think if we get to the Pats with a 5-2 record, we will finally get to see what our team is made of. A pissed off, full steam ahead New England team will be much harder to beat than the Hold Down the Fort one we faced in week 4.

@gmfb

Now on #GMFB, @HarrisonNFL discusses his Power Rankings! Here they are: https://t.co/vQbGFXCLZR

RANK 7

BUF.png

4-2 BILLS

So happy for these guys. As mentioned previously in this space, I reserve the right to cheer for the Bills. When the early injuries (and one very important suspension) contributed to an 0-2 start, I feared we were in for another empty, 8-8, playoff-less season. Well, now look: Buffalo is 4-2 after winning four in a row, including a huge division win over the Patriots. The defense looks fantastic. Soon it will be Shaq-tastic, when the first-round pick gets healthy. Sure would be nice to have Marcell Dareus back this week ... jussssst in time for the Dolphins.