Bills power rankings

Beerball

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nfl-power-rankings-top-of-the-nfc-is-absolutely-loaded-142137041.html

17. Buffalo Bills

First-round pick Shaq Lawson is out for a while after shoulder surgery. Second-round pick Reggie Ragland went down with a knee injury suffered in practice. That’s not good news for a Bills defense that was depending on those two rookies to play big roles.

Edited by Beerball
Edited for pats* fan clarity

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. 4: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

The New England Patriots’ 15-year run is probably the best in NFL history, and it might never be matched again.

In an era of free agency and a salary cap, the Patriots have been fantastic just about every season this century. They have won 10 games 14 of the past 15 seasons. A 9-7 finish in 2002 was the outlier. They’ve won at least 12 games 10 of the past 13 seasons, which is staggering. They’ve won the division 13 times this century, including 12 of the past 13 years. They’ve been to the Super Bowl six times and won four. That type of run isn’t supposed to happen in the NFL anymore.

Like it or not, the Patriots are the surest thing in the NFL.

The New England Patriots’ 15-year run is probably the best in NFL history, and it might never be matched again.

In an era of free agency and a salary cap, the Patriots have been fantastic just about every season this century. They have won 10 games 14 of the past 15 seasons. A 9-7 finish in 2002 was the outlier. They’ve won at least 12 games 10 of the past 13 seasons, which is staggering. They’ve won the division 13 times this century, including 12 of the past 13 years. They’ve been to the Super Bowl six times and won four. That type of run isn’t supposed to happen in the NFL anymore.

One word answer: Cheats!

If you want to come here and have rational conversations with Bills fans there is a chance that could happen. If, however, you just want to come here and flaunt, your stay will be short. We've had a couple decent pats* fans here in the past & some not so decent.

If you want to come here and have rational conversations with Bills fans there is a chance that could happen. If, however, you just want to come here and flaunt, your stay will be short. We've had a couple decent pats* fans here in the past & some not so decent.

That was taken from the site the opening post quoted. What was I supposed to, say they weren't ranked 4th, or put up a quote about another team? Don't be so sensitive.

Edited by hardwork

Why post it at all? What's your point?

What? This is a thread about the NFLs power ranking. That's what they said about the Patriots. Following your thinking why put up the thread at all? No team plays in a vacuum. You play against other teams that are ranked on that site. We play each other twice. Why wouldn't I be interested in what they say about you, and why wouldn't you be interested in what they say about us? I didn't write the piece, I didn't open the thread, and I didn't rank the Patriots. They did.

Edited by hardwork

What? This is a thread about the NFLs power ranking. That's what they said about the Patriots. Following your thinking why put up the thread at all? No team plays in a vacuum. You play against other teams that are ranked on that site. We play each other twice. Why wouldn't I be interested in what they say about you, and why wouldn't you be interested in what they say about us?

Sorry, let me change the title.

17 seems fair, on paper we got worse over the off-season (losing Mario, replacing him with injured rookies, and an injured Manny), the rest of the lineup stayed pretty consistent in talent. Rex hasn't coached a winning team in a while.

I certainly hope for improvement, and can see why it could happen, but yeah...

Bills are 15th in this one. Preseason Power Rankings

2016 NFL Power Rankings: Training Camp Edition Rank Team 2015 Record
1 Denver Broncos 12-4
2 Carolina Panthers 15-1
3 New England Patriots 12-4
4 Seattle Seahawks 10-6
5 Pittsburgh Steelers 10-6
6 Green Bay Packers 10-6
7 Cincinnati Bengals 12-4
8 Arizona Cardinals 13-3
9 Indianapolis Colts 8-8
10 Kansas City Chiefs
11-5 11 Minnesota Vikings 11-5
12 Oakland Raiders 7-9
13 New York Giants 6-10
14 Dallas Cowboys 4-12
15 Buffalo Bills 8-8
16 Philadelphia Eagles 7-9
17 Baltimore Ravens 5-11
18 Atlanta Falcons 8-8
19 Houston Texans 9-7
20 Washington Redskins 9-7
21 Jacksonville Jaguars 5-11
22 New Orleans Saints 7-9
23 New York Jets 10-6
24 San Diego Chargers 4-12
25 Detroit Lions 7-9
26 Miami Dolphins 6-10
27 Chicago Bears 6-10
28 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6-10
29 Los Angeles Rams 7-9
30 Tennessee Titans 3-13
31 San Francisco 49ers 5-11
32 Cleveland Browns 3-13
Edited by hardwork

Preseason pecking order: Who's No. 1? No. 32?
Football is back! And so are the Power Rankings. Elliot Harrison updates his grand hierarchy, with more than three-quarters of the NFL's 32 teams on the move as training camps really kick into gear.

Bills in at #14.

RANK 14

BUF.png

BILLS

The Reggie Ragland injury bums everyone out, especially those in the Bills Mafia. Thought this defense carried a legit chance at unseating the Seahawks as the top unit in the league, at least in terms of points allowed. Earlier this offseason, they looked strong at all three levels. Ragland might not be the key to the entire team, but given that this franchise has been devoid of a playoff berth since 1999, every hit counts. We're supposed to be unbiased in this business. Cool. I still want to see Buffalo hit the postseason for the first time this millennium.

My case is a 2nd year under the same coaching staff with a very good roster that is good enough to contend for a playoff berth in the AFC.

Its not the same, don't forget we picked up #31 ranked defense rob Ryan. And HC bro Rex hasn't had a winning record in 5 straight seasons. And that gives you great comfort for season #2?

Its not the same, don't forget we picked up #31 ranked defense rob Ryan. And HC bro Rex hasn't had a winning record in 5 straight seasons. And that gives you great comfort for season #2?

It's Rex Ryan's defense with Rob on staff to help implement it. What happened with the NYJ and last season has nothing to do with 2016 with this current roster of players. Great comfort is not what I feel, but they do have a chance for sure. You want to write off the season before it begins, indulge to your heart's content or misery. Whatever the case may be.

The Ragland situation puts all the spotlight of Rex and Rob and their "great" defensive minds and schemes. If it is half of what they think it is, the Bills will be alright. If its is like last year and the D takes another step backwards, Rex will be exposed as an impostor, or at the least he'll become an afterthought in which the NFL that has caught up to his "great" schemes, and passed him by while he wasn't even looking. Time will tell.

As for the 14 ranking, I think that is fair. We're close, with a break or two, and progress from Taylor and improvement on Defense, the Bills can make the play-offs. And to state the obvious, if either one of these digresses, we will be worse this year.

Edited by CSBill

My DraftTek peeps put us at #18, out of the playoffs.

Teams like us with so many "ifs" and "hopefullys" get placed in the midrange.

I like our chances even without Lawson and Ragland. They weren't here last year, and we brought in 2 vets to replace Ragland, having already brought in Zach Brown.

We are not worse than the dolphins. And i truly do not believe the jets will not have another repeat of last year. The pats with Jimmy G are definitely beatable also. That kid is not that good.

I'll keep drinking the bills cool aid for now.

All I can say is this...I got the Jags at 40-1 winning the AFC....I put $100 on it.

I would not take $300 for that ticket right now.

What in the fu** are you smoking?. Give me some of that! The jags. Lol. Their just a team with friendly media love from the nfl. They wont be much better than last year. Pathetic we lost to them

Edited by Erie Injury

I'll give you some reasons to be optimistic. Three bell cows on offense in McCoy, Watkins and Clay. Bush, and Goodwin are nice gadget guys, who can produce big plays when the other 3 are the focus. A happy, hungry, second year Tyrod back at QB with a healthy Robert Woods! The All Pro left side of the OL. A very fine secondary, especially the corners, 2 pro bowl defensive lineman, a second year coaching staff that has coach's who've won before.

All it takes a few breaks with health during the season, and a couple good refs calls, and it is not unreasonable to see this squad as a playoff team. Of course this is the optimistic view, probably more likely than the doom and gloom pessimism of 2-14 from some. Why do you watch sports without enjoyment and optimism?

Edited by The Thurmanator

For argument sake... here are your previous statements, debunked by my own:

More destructive nepotism with hiring of the down and out rob Ryan brother.

- Bringing in a coach familiar with scheme isn't necessarily a bad thing. He isn't calling plays here.

Already over priced running back in legal trouble and continues to "battleinjury" (he's such a warrior).

- price and legality have nothing to do with performance.

His backup (whos really better anyway) gets suspended due to substance abuse

- four games is a quarter of the season. RB is a position of depth. If you're counting on a second string RB as a reason to fail, you need to do a self-evaluation of your football IQ

Defense badly needed to replenish via draft ...

- we did. draft picks are long term investments. Sometimes injuries happen and there isnt anything you can do about it. You have to see these picks from a GM's perspective, not a single season view

1st round edge rusher discloses he needs major surgery shortly after draft

- again, better to have this corrected immediately. besides, he wasn't here last year so how does not having him make us worse?

2nd round MLB may have torn knee ligaments

- this undoubtedly blows, but our strength is in our DL. If they can play to their potential, Z. Brown, Spikes, and co. should be able to make plays.

Only true weapon on offense Sammy Watkins has foot surgery , doesn't know when he'll return

- He has returned.

Working on new big contract for unproven QB

- Again, how is a contract negotiation in anyway indicative of performance on the field?

Geez what a freaking deezaster

- Hiroshima was a disaster, this is just football.

Edited by AlwaysBilleve

• 3 weeks later...

NFL.com has the Bills at #23 http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000694532/article/seahawks-top-atnfl-preseason-power-poll

#2 Patriots, Vegas book 7-1

#14 NY Jets, Vegas book 60-1

#23 Bills, Vegas book 75-1

#27 Miami, Vegas book 70-1

We all want the Bills to be great this season and yet if the defense doesn't get back into the top ten it's going to be a long season despite how good the offense will be. More specifically will the Bills pass rush step back up to where Schwartz and Pettine had it. No matter how good the Bills secondary is they can't be left out hanging all game with no QB pressures and last season the Bills were the very worst in getting pressure on the QB.

The Ryan Bro's have a lot to prove this year.

Cutting Manny cost us 6 spots. /s

Eff this whole thread and the fickle media.

Weren't rated in the top half last year because "it's a QB driven league - nothing but question marks at that position, blah blah blah"

Now we have a SOLID #1 in a "QB driven league" and the focus is now on D. With a D-minded coach and a new year under his system.

Can't have it both ways, you fvcks.

Eff this whole thread and the fickle media.

Weren't rated in the top half last year because "it's a QB driven league - nothing but question marks at that position, blah blah blah"

Now we have a SOLID #1 in a "QB driven league" and the focus is now on D. With a D-minded coach and a new year under his system.

Can't have it both ways, you fvcks.

It's easy to explain. We went from a bottom 5 qb situation with thought to be top 5 defense to having a middle of the pack qb and middle of the pack defense... And find ourselves rated slightly below average until we play better

My case is a 2nd year under the same coaching staff with a very good roster that is good enough to contend for a playoff berth in the AFC.

The question is whether continuity will be kind to us with the staff. Rex trailed downward with the jets, and adding rob is a question mark at best.

Honestly I expect some sort of spike with them being focused and energetic but no idea if it last a month, or a season.

It's easy to explain. We went from a bottom 5 qb situation with thought to be top 5 defense to having a middle of the pack qb and middle of the pack defense... And find ourselves rated slightly below average until we play better

The question is whether continuity will be kind to us with the staff. Rex trailed downward with the jets, and adding rob is a question mark at best.

Honestly I expect some sort of spike with them being focused and energetic but no idea if it last a month, or a season.

He trailed downward with the NYJ as the team became less talented. What a shock!

He trailed downward with the NYJ as the team became less talented. What a shock!

I have shared lots of thoughts about that through the offseason, including that Rex is partially responsible, but will leave it at this....

Do you really think Rex is the type that will age like a fine wine in any franchise?

I don't. He doesn't strike me as the personality type or as having the techniques in his tool belt to build a program that maximizes the output of his resources year in and year out. If you disagree, so be it.

Somewhere from 20-23 sounds about right after how the preseason played out. The Bills are better at QB than they have been in some time. The WR corps is very weak after Watkins and Woods. Shady is another year older and the rub depth just isn't what it was last year. There is zero quality at TE behind Charles Clay. On defense the injuries to top draft picks Lawson and Ragland leave a void and Hughes is the only true pass rush threat. LB depth is perilously thin and the best DT on the team is suspended until week 5. I'm struggling to find a reason the bills are better than half the NFL. They aren't. It doesn't mean they can't get some breaks or surprising performances from unexpected players ( a la Karlos in '15) and sneak into a playoff berth. A look at the roster doesn't point to it though. 7-9.

That's RB depth ; damn autocorrect.