Bills' 2016 Organized Team Activities - Week 3

@TBNSports

.@VicCarucci’s 3 #Bills thoughts: ‘Great unknown,’ Arenas’ return obsession & Lewis’ leap: http://bit.ly/1r5jHYB

Dez Lewis getting all this good pub dooms him to be a non-factor.

Do the Bills want the 4th highest paid TE to have this approach?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dez Lewis getting all this good pub dooms him to be a non-factor.

Do the Bills want the 4th highest paid TE to have this approach?

I don't think the quote accurately portrays what was said in the interview. He spent most of the interview talking about helping the run game with his blocking and not worrying about what his receiving numbers look like. In the details he sounds like a team first guy.

I don't think the quote accurately portrays what was said in the interview. He spent most of the interview talking about helping the run game with his blocking and not worrying about what his receiving numbers look like. In the details he sounds like a team first guy.

So the plan when the Bills signed him was for him to replace that big palooka who's name I can't remember but think it started with an "M"?

It's possible but Cardale is really raw (and I like him). I heard at the rookie camp he was even "rawer" (if that's a word) than they even expected. He has the physical skills but is a long way from playing valuable snaps. They could have taken a Kevin Hogan type that has a high floor but a low ceiling. Instead they went high ceiling and low floor. I'm okay with it.

I would however be much more comfortable if they had Matt Moore, a McCown or Derek Anderson as their #2. A smart, reliable vet that can manage the games for a few weeks.

I didn't want Hogan but given that Whaley wasn't looking for starting caliber QB he would have been ideal rookie backup being in a pro system that was run by Roman. We need someone to step in if TT goes down and not have the wheels fall off and ej is not that guy. Granted there is not much we can do know but not getting a solid backup could cost us again (if Hoyer is still out there I'd take him)

What does reporting good and bad days amount to?

then why report at all?

No McSometing I think.

Mulligan

Not liking this answer from our highly compensated supposedly #1 TE.

I think it's more giving credit to the other TE's than anything. I'm sure he knows he's the guy. Article points more to taking targets away from WRs/RBs if anything.

I think it's more giving credit to the other TE's than anything. I'm sure he knows he's the guy. Article points more to taking targets away from WRs/RBs if anything.

yep, just being a team guy is what i read. good move by him btw.

I wouldn't have EJ as a top 20 backup in the league. USA Today did there list late last year and had him at 24. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/11/19/backup-quarterbacks-rankings-matt-hasselbeck-brock-osweiler-mark-sanchez-derek-anderson/76036812/

Some of these situations have changed but others like Cincinnati have improved. He is a really bad player.

I don't disagree all that much with EJ's ranking. I'd have him about 18 but he is a mid range backup at best but wow I hate that list.

I disagree with almost all of their rankings. It is a bad list. Geno number 10 was when my disbelief turned to rage. Other than Hasselbeck at #1 almost everything else is wrong.

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't disagree all that much with EJ's ranking. I'd have him about 18 but he is a mid range backup at best but wow I hate that list.

I disagree with almost all of their rankings. It is a bad list. Geno number 10 was when my disbelief turned to rage. Other than Hasselbeck at #1 almost everything else is wrong.

Yeah, I don't like the list either (it's a little dated too). McCarron would be top 5 at this point.

Yeah, I don't like the list either (it's a little dated too). McCarron would be top 5 at this point.

Yep but even allowing for time passed...

Anyway I am sure there will be a load of revised lists of best backups around the pre-season and EJ will still be in the bottom half of that list.

Bills Today: 'D' to dictate play to opposing offenses

manny-bills-today-story.jpg

Buffalo's 2016 defense will take on the traditional approach of Rex Ryan schemes. They will be dictating play to opposing offenses in 2016 instead of the other way around.

@NFL

Lemme toss out a nutball idea for opinions: Bills should bring in Wes Welker for a tryout/preseason pass catcher. If he's still functionable then keep him and use him in the slot. If not they could pull a reverse Belicheat* and get him to give all the info he has on the NE offense, he hate's them now so he should be good to go. He could be a good veteran guy to school up the kids also.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

#fullyempregnated

#blowharder

#revisionisthistory

#theH&Dshow

#yearsofmisery

Odd to see you so negative these days

Lemme toss out a nutball idea for opinions: Bills should bring in Wes Welker for a tryout/preseason pass catcher. If he's still functionable then keep him and use him in the slot. If not they could pull a reverse Belicheat* and get him to give all the info he has on the NE offense, he hate's them now so he should be good to go. He could be a good veteran guy to school up the kids also.

I'd bring him just for talent's sake, he's had concussions but if he wants to still play he can come here.

He may have a nugget or two about the NE way but he's been out of there for awhile so I doubt he has much to offer other than what is already known.

I don't put much of any stock into anything that comes out of BB.com in the offseason EVER...And the preseason is more meaningless now then ever so you really have no idea until the season starts in September.

Fixed. Even the most homerrific of homers should understand that a team website is nothing more than propaganda. The human interest pieces about a player's or coach's background are sometimes interesting, and I enjoy watching practice highlights, but expecting to get the "real story" is a pointless exercise.

I wouldn't have EJ as a top 20 backup in the league. USA Today did there list late last year and had him at 24. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/11/19/backup-quarterbacks-rankings-matt-hasselbeck-brock-osweiler-mark-sanchez-derek-anderson/76036812/

Some of these situations have changed but others like Cincinnati have improved. He is a really bad player.

That's an awful list. It's hilarious how EJ is listed below guys he has better stats across the board (I see you Kellen Clemens).

It's unpopular to say something positive about EJ. But minus an atrocious 5 minute stretch, he was a pretty serviceable backup. He also averaged more passing yards and points than our starter. This isn't to say EJ should be a starter. But he is a lot closer to Taylor than some of you give him credit for.

EJ has 100 yards passing = worst QB ever

Taylor 100 yards passing = GOAT

Such double standards :)

That's an awful list. It's hilarious how EJ is listed below guys he has better stats across the board (I see you Kellen Clemens).

It's unpopular to say something positive about EJ. But minus an atrocious 5 minute stretch, he was a pretty serviceable backup. He also averaged more passing yards and points than our starter. This isn't to say EJ should be a starter. But he is a lot closer to Taylor than some of you give him credit for.

GOAT?

Worst QB ever?

Links to both of those statements by anyone please.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole again, but no. Taylor has the chance to be a middle of the league starter (if he isn't already). EJ will have a really hard time finding a job as a number 2 next year. That isn't just because we love Taylor and hate EJ. That is how the people around the league view it. You'd hate to hear what they honestly think about EJ as a player. He is a great guy and a good worker but they couldn't have less confidence in him as a player.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole again, but no. Taylor has the chance to be a middle of the league starter (if he isn't already). EJ will have a really hard time finding a job as a number 2 next year. That isn't just because we love Taylor and hate EJ. That is how the people around the league view it. You'd hate to hear what they honestly think about EJ as a player. He is a great guy and a good worker but they couldn't have less confidence in him as a player.

I don't think that Cincy game would have changed at all with Taylor. He has similar issues throwing the ball as EJ does. I would argue that he was developed by a good franchise instead of a bad one that would have a college OC be a rookie's OC and QB coach.

EJ looked great in the preseason. He had a bad 5 minute stretch. PM me and we can set up a little something about EJ's future. :)

I'd bring him just for talent's sake, he's had concussions but if he wants to still play he can come here.

He may have a nugget or two about the NE way but he's been out of there for awhile so I doubt he has much to offer other than what is already known.

Yeah its a long shot that he can play anymore or has something usable from his NE days but wth. Rex likes to stir Belicheat* grits though I don't think Belicheat* even bats an eye.

I'm one of the few people left that is optimistic about EJ. I think his first two years in the NFL were completely screwed, and last year he showed me improvement (unfortunately largely offset by a 5 minute meltdown). I support him being on our team as a backup, and I think we could do plenty worse there. Hopefully they bring him back to compete with Cardale next year, because I'm not really sold on Cardale at the moment (maybe in a year or two that'll change?), and I think its important for us to have a solid backup, who is familiar with our offense, behind Tyrod.

Yeah its a long shot that he can play anymore or has something usable from his NE days but wth. Rex likes to stir Belicheat* grits though I don't think Belicheat* even bats an eye.

Rex is currently 4-11 against NE. Could you imagine how much he would talk if he was something like 6-9?

I'm one of the few people left that is optimistic about EJ. I think his first two years in the NFL were completely screwed, and last year he showed me improvement (unfortunately largely offset by a 5 minute meltdown). I support him being on our team as a backup, and I think we could do plenty worse there. Hopefully they bring him back to compete with Cardale next year, because I'm not really sold on Cardale at the moment (maybe in a year or two that'll change?), and I think its important for us to have a solid backup, who is familiar with our offense, behind Tyrod.

Welcome to the cult. We have our first meeting Wednesday at Knights of Columbus. BYOB.

They were talking about Welker today on Cowherd's show, apparently he is working with the Dolphins WR group. Miami says it has no interest in signing him, sounds like he is trying to work his way onto a coaching staff? Good for him if that's true, he has taken to many hits I don't want to see him on the field ever again. He already has that glazed over look.

He would be worth having around, could help young WR's and probably would be able to offer some help to cornerbacks trying to defend against picks/rubs.