RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Another fail? It's a 4th round pick.

It was a compensatory 4th round pick that in essence is a 5th round selection on a prospect who is well worth taking a shot on given the enormous tools to work with. Some people are acting as if the Bills drafted him in the 2nd like the Jets did with Hackenberg.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will be a fan favorite for sure. Hilarious personality and a huge heart. He spends a ton of time at the children's hospital here.

Also, if you want to run into him, my money is on finding him at the closest Chipotle to the Ralph. Either there or the mall.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Five Day 3 players who could have a big impact
The first and second round draw the hype, but the third day is where GMs earn their money. Conor Orr predicts five players drafted on Saturday who could make an impact in the league.

Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (Bills): Jones will (probably) not start a game for Buffalo this year barring a rash of injuries but the Bills selecting him at the bottom of Saturday's fourth round will carry some far-reaching consequences if he's competitive in camp. We're guessing the Bills love his athleticism, and the "blank canvas" effect is always attractive to general managers. But there is some book keeping to watch for as well. The Bills have less than a week to pick up EJ Manuel's fifth-year option, and if they decide not to, he is free and clear after the 2016 season. Tyrod Taylor is also hoping for a contract extension that has yet to be discussed. While Buffalo is dreaming big about their quarterback of the future, Jones can at least help them make some very important decisions in the interim.

Wasted pick. A guy who only started a handful of games in college. At this point why even bother taking a QB. Had to be a better use for a 4th round pick.

He was 11-0 as the starter.... Not saying that he will be a stud NFL talent, but I think it's a little early to say he was a wasted pick.... Also, it's too early to anoint him as Taylor's back up or even successor.... The kid has attributes that could lead to success in the NFL, and in the 4th round, that's what you are looking for....

He will be a fan favorite for sure. Hilarious personality and a huge heart. He spends a ton of time at the children's hospital here.

Also, if you want to run into him, my money is on finding him at the closest Chipotle to the Ralph. Either there or the mall.

He has a GREAT personality!! People are going to love him (especially if he can play).

He was 11-0 as the starter.... Not saying that he will be a stud NFL talent, but I think it's a little early to say he was a wasted pick.... Also, it's too early to anoint him as Taylor's back up or even successor.... The kid has attributes that could lead to success in the NFL, and in the 4th round, that's what you are looking for....

I think that he will either be great or out of the league in a few years. Absolutely the type of guy that you take a shot on. The tools are all there.

I am truly amazed at any negative feedback concerning this pick. The kid is raw but is by all accounts a great guy, hasn't gotten into trouble, and has off-the-charts measurables in addition to having performed well at the highest level in college football. He's a project, but if he translates those skills to the NFL level he will be the steal of the draft.

If Jones finds himself a favorite WR it's OVER. -Finding a favorite target is something EJ, Kaepernick, and Tyrod never did..

Brady has Gronk.... Rogers has Nelson... Wilson has Baldwin... Flacco had nobody last season, but used to have Boldin....

QB to wideout chemistry is one of the most impressive things on a football field... You gotta have it if you want to win.

Taylor to Watkins 2015:

12 games, 56 passes for 999 yards and 9 touchdowns. What were you saying about chemistry?

Now we need a deep threat in the 5th. Listenbee?

Nah, I have a feeling he'll be available in the 6th.

So, it is decided; Cardale Jones is a bust on the Buffalo Barbarian scale of QB picking?

I hate to say it, but every time I see Barbarian stumping for a player my first and only thought is, "please, Bills, do the opposite."

I don;t think he will pan out, but if the Bills protect him and put him in the right situations, they could get a draft pick out of another team. Great tools, but not a great mind. Reminds me of Rob Johnson

I don;t think he will pan out, but if the Bills protect him and put him in the right situations, they could get a draft pick out of another team. Great tools, but not a great mind. Reminds me of Rob Johnson

Upon what do you base this comment?

Just wrong. Not a well-researched take. He's a very smart dude.

This could be very well true. But the sad fact is Jones will be in a much better situation to succeed than EJ. He won't have Syracuse's OC as both his OC and QB coach. He won't have the weight of being a 1st round pick and the expectations that come with it. He won't be rushed onto the field and can learn from 2 veteran Qbs.

Jones might not make it but I think it's a great pick because of the upside and he can be developed for a year or 2. Most of these Qbs won't amount to anything but you want to go with upside this late in the draft.

IMO, for a lot of Qbs, it's better to be drafted out of the 1st round. I think this is a perfect situation for Jones. Whether he develops, it's on him.

Very good post, especially in regard to EJM.

Best wishes to C Jones

Yup. In hindsight, being a 1st round pick was the worst think that happened to EJ (not financially of course). I believe Taylor and Jones are in much better position to succeed because they aren't forced to play right away.

and have questionable coaching development either.

Edited by 3rdand12

Cant find the whole thing, but this is a pretty good clip and it continues into the next part.

nice link D

Agree 100% this will be another Whaley fail. If Tyrod doesn't pan out this year we will be right back where we were foe the last 16 years, no QB, no prospects, no playoffs, and no hope.

why wait?

get ahead of the curve and tank your emotions asap.

jk

Taylor to Watkins 2015:

12 games, 56 passes for 999 yards and 9 touchdowns. What were you saying about chemistry?

Something to build on... Once we get everybody in camp, we'll see what's what... I just want the best QB to win out. Tyrod shouldn't have a problem.. B-)

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m3 minutes ago

Good point by Whaley on Cardale Jones: "He doesn't have any muscle memory already ingrained in him that's bad. So we have a piece of clay."

Whaley and Maylock said the same about E.J. I am a EJ supporter as well. Go figure!

DRAFT ANALYSIS: Re: EJ MANUEL

"You can mold him into something really special. He's raw, but he's that piece of clay where you take him and you can turn him to what you want." -- Mike Mayock

Something to build on... Once we get everybody in camp, we'll see what's what... I just want the best QB to win out. Tyrod shouldn't have a problem.. B-)

Tyrod is the Bills starter this year that is in no doubt and he and Sammy developed some great chemistry once the $6m waste of space stopped taking Sammy's touches.

You are going to have to be patient with Cardale 34... my opinion is the same as when we discussed pre-draft if the kid is gonna have a genuine shot it will be because an organisation has invested the time and developed him properly. I get the feeling Chris Palmer and David Lee will be spending a lot of time with him not just in camp but in practice during the season too.

Whaley and Maylock said the same about E.J. I am a EJ supporter as well. Go figure!

"You can mold him into something really special. He's raw, but he's that piece of clay where you take him and you can turn him to what you want." -- Mike Mayock

And unfortunately for EJ, his first two years were being molded by a **** offensive coaching staff, lack of vet presence is first year, and no QB coach.

Hopefully Whaley has learned from that, and our current coaching staff is a bit better at developing a player for the NFL.

Tyrod is the Bills starter this year that is in no doubt and he and Sammy developed some great chemistry once the $6m waste of space stopped taking Sammy's touches.

You are going to have to be patient with Cardale 34... my opinion is the same as when we discussed pre-draft if the kid is gonna have a genuine shot it will be because an organisation has invested the time and developed him properly. I get the feeling Chris Palmer and David Lee will be spending a lot of time with him not just in camp but in practice during the season too.

Not a shot against Tyrod, but there are more than 32 quarterbacks in the league that would have great chemistry with Sammy. He's flat out that good.

Again, maybe Jones will improve. I still think the best bet is to put him in protected situations, hope he looks great and it can lead to a stolen high pick from a team.

good post Gunner

And unfortunately for EJ, his first two years were being molded by a **** offensive coaching staff, lack of vet presence is first year, and no QB coach.

Hopefully Whaley has learned from that, and our current coaching staff is a bit better at developing a player for the NFL.

yessir !

It's funny because the first report I saw of Jones saying he was "raw" and like "clay" made me think of this exact quote about EJ. I'm fine with the pick itself in any case.

Not a shot against Tyrod, but there are more than 32 quarterbacks in the league that would have great chemistry with Sammy. He's flat out that good.

Again, maybe Jones will improve. I still think the best bet is to put him in protected situations, hope he looks great and it can lead to a stolen high pick from a team.

Gonna be interesting for sure.. I feel like anything can happen.

See, I don't think this is really true. When EJ played last year, I saw a QB who couldn't mentally process all the facets of the game an NFL QB needs to for success. Pre snap protection adjustments, hot reads, recognizing the defense, receiver progressions, stepping up in the pocket, etc. Most snaps it seemed like he would miss one or more of these components on his checklist which would undermine the entire play. I don't believe the coaching would make a difference, I simply don't think his mind can handle NFL game speed.

I'm excited about Cardale, I saw decision making, progressions and great throws from him in an NFL style offense during that 3 game championship run. Last season they insisted on the read option which is the wrong offense for him. As good a coach as Urban Meyer is, this year's draft speaks to the quality of that team and Meyer made a big mistake insisting on his traditional offense. Cost them another national championship, IMO.

Just glad we didn't get Hackenberg. I'm a PSU fan and watching Hack stare down 1 or 2 receivers has me convinced he'll go the way of EJ at best.

Jones most likely will never amount to anything, he's a huge project with a very small % of probably success at the NFL level. But that can be said about 90% of all QB's drafted.

Still you have to keep trying with QB's and a late rd draft pick is worth taking the chance..

I'll also say that I'm thrilled we finally spent a reasonable mid-round pick on a QB with good upside. Whoever said it upthread had it right: We let the draft board come to us.

Spot on. Time will tell, but I feel like they had a fantastic draft. They took risks on a number of guys with early round talent that took a status hit due to some question marks that may or may not matter down the road.

seems really well executed...

I don't love this pick because any QB taken in the later rounds is typically a wasted pick.

And yet... we had to pick a QB at some point. Both our QBs are nearing the end of their contracts and TT is not a proven franchise guy.

Jones is raw but has shown flashes of brilliance. Let's say Roman and Lee mold him into a quality backup. Is he still a waste of a 4th round pick? How much is a good backup QB worth?

Ask the Baltimore Ravens..The year TT leaves, Flacco gets hurt and they had nada.