Jarran Reed On Bills - "We'd Be Unstoppable"

H2o

This reminds me of the Michael Jordan quote. "The only one who can stop Michael Jordan is Dean Smith." The only one who could stop the 2015 Bills defense is Rex Ryan.

I hope as hell Rex figures it out but it's hard to see us being dominant after the tire fire of last year.

Wasn't that the consensus of the D last off season?

Anyway...307lbs? I don't think so...

It's less about size for me and more about that he doesn't fit the mold of what Rex usually likes in a 1st-round DLmen. He's got nowhere near the athleticism, length, or versatility of guys like Wilkerson and Richardson.

It would be a big departure from what Rex has used effectively in the past.

This reminds me of the Michael Jordan quote. "The only one who can stop Michael Jordan is Dean Smith." The only one who could stop the 2015 Bills defense is Rex Ryan.

I hope as hell Rex figures it out but it's hard to see us being dominant after the tire fire of last year.

Not defending Rex because he pissed me off too, but maybe the lack of effort by some and lack of understanding the defense by others were the issues? Hopefully things turn around this year, hopefully. I think adding Reed would be a huge lift for our front.

I really like Reed and A'Shawn.

If I'm drafting for 'NEED', which I never do, I think I need to find Mario's Replacement. And also prepare for Kyle's replacement.

But then I wonder if we put Marcel and KW on the outside spots in a base 3-4, can Reed or A'Shawn clog the middle? Wouldn't a Billings be a better choice? But then I don't have my DE.

And then I think shouldn't I get a pure EDGE rusher like Spence or Floyd?

Or the consensus best ILB in Ragland?

So many possibilities.

It's less about size for me and more about that he doesn't fit the mold of what Rex usually likes in a 1st-round DLmen. He's got nowhere near the athleticism, length, or versatility of guys like Wilkerson and Richardson.

Ah, thank you. This is the best argument Ive heard against adding Reed to Rex's D.

Who, in your opinion, would be like Wilkerson/Richardson, and realistically available to us in this draft?

I have to say I'm really surprised that Reed is getting so much attention this late in the process. It seems like it relates back to the Bills visiting him as he missed his visit and everyone in the media is just running with it. Reed is a solid player but he is one of the least dynamic front 7 guys and I'm not convinced Rex or Whaley would consider this kid BPA or even best fit.

Ah, thank you. This is the best argument Ive heard against adding Reed to Rex's D.

Who, in your opinion, would be like Wilkerson/Richardson, and realistically available to us in this draft?

I think you're looking at Chris Jones as the best fit, though Vernon Butler has the same physical makeup--he's just not the same level of athlete that those guys are IMO.

I agree with this and I just don't get the love for a one dimensional DT who can't rush the passer. So, that means that Ryan can't use him in his one gap 3-4 or have him drop into pass coverage. Seems limited for a 1st round pick.

Chris Jones/Vernon Butler

I think you're looking at Chris Jones as the best fit, though Vernon Butler has the same physical makeup--he's just not the same level of athlete that those guys are IMO.

Ah, thanks guys.

Both Jones and Butler have been on my radar. I think I almost prefer Butler.

Is it just me, or when watching tape of Jones, doesnt he look like he is just half-assing it most of the time? I rarely see the explosion/speed that I hoped to.

Ah, thanks guys.

Is it just me, or when watching tape of Jones, doesnt he look like he is just half-assing it most of the time? I rarely see the explosion/speed that I hoped to.

When Jones is on he's much better, Butler is almost always at 100% but isn't quite as good as Jones' best. Just my opinion. I think both are more suited for the late 20's to end of the first range, but we don't have a pick there yet so it'll come down to what the front office deems worthwhile.

any chance you think Bama defensive players are seen as Duke basketball players? Combination of the system and how the player fit into it? Thus ultimately costing them draft spots?

Ah, thanks guys.

I've heard that about Jones, but to me effort doesn't look like a problem--he's got some pad level issues, and when he gets stood up he doesn't recover well, so I think it makes it look like he's quitting on the play.

When Jones is on he's much better, Butler is almost always at 100% but isn't quite as good as Jones' best. Just my opinion. I think both are more suited for the late 20's to end of the first range, but we don't have a pick there yet so it'll come down to what the front office deems worthwhile.

Good Chris Jones is a top-10 pick, and I think Rex is the kind of guy that can get him to play like Good Chris Jones more often than not.

any chance you think Bama defensive players are seen as Duke basketball players? Combination of the system and how the player fit into it? Thus ultimately costing them draft spots?

Nah--I think it's more about the player. For every Courtney Upshaw there's a Marcell Dareus.

I've heard that about Jones, but to me effort doesn't look like a problem--he's got some pad level issues, and when he gets stood up he doesn't recover well, so I think it makes it look like he's quitting on the play.

Good Chris Jones is a top-10 pick, and I think Rex is the kind of guy that can get him to play like Good Chris Jones more often than not.

Nah--I think it's more about the player. For every Courtney Upshaw there's a Marcell Dareus.

I don't disagree with that at all, I just think overall Chris Jones is more of a mid 20's pick.

my vote at 19 is Lawson if he is still available (not expecting him to be), followed by Nkemdiche or Reed. Bottom line is we need someone to free up Dareus unless we get the edge rusher. The dark horse for me at 19 is Billings who reportedly is the strongest D-lineman in the draft bar none. It may be a reach to take him at 19 unless the braintrust believes Billings is the lynchpin to free up Dareus.

this is worth a look:

IMO, the Bills were severely derelict in how they misused Dareus last year. Rex has to get a grip on that or else it matters not who we draft.

Lots of "Rex" talk in the thread.

Rex has an indirect input in player selection. Here's the flow:

• Rex from a tactical coach point of view, tells Doug the general types of players he wants to win now
  • Doug looks at it from a strategic point of view: a multi-year view, what the Coach wants.. salary cap.. quality of this and future future draft classes in various positions
  • Doug makes the pick

Tactical v. Strategic ... google it.

Doug has been pretty damn good with the strategic.

Rex? let's discuss in Jan 16.

Agreed...

If we are going off what Rex has sought in the past Vernon Butler, Chris Jones, and Nkemdiche are the fits...I like Jones best of the three because I think he can play more 0 and 1 technique than the other two...I would not touch Nkemdiche in the 1st...He scares me... B-)

To be fair to Reed, he was double teamed a LOT. Also he says that he wasn't asked to rush the QB very often. That said, he doesn't seem to play with the quickness needed to be a quality pass rusher.

Personally, I'm not very high on some of the pass rushers in this draft like Spence or Lloyd. And while I see the amazing potential of Chris Jones or Nkemdiche, their work ethic scares me (a motivated Chris Jones would look great in a Bills uniform though).

Overall, I really like Andrew Billings. He doesn't have the pass rush ability of Chris Jones, but he is strong and has quick feet. He can occupy blockers, get to the QB, and collapse the pocket. I think he's as close to complete as we could hope for at 19. Higher floor than Jones, but with a lower ceiling.

my vote at 19 is Lawson if he is still available (not expecting him to be), followed by Nkemdiche or Reed. Bottom line is we need someone to free up Dareus unless we get the edge rusher. The dark horse for me at 19 is Billings who reportedly is the strongest D-lineman in the draft bar none. It may be a reach to take him at 19 unless the braintrust believes Billings is the lynchpin to free up Dareus.

this is worth a look:

IMO, the Bills were severely derelict in how they misused Dareus last year. Rex has to get a grip on that or else it matters not who we draft.

He is disruptive!

He is disruptive!

At 24 seconds he drops to space. Then chases the receiver stride for stride for 30 yards. That was incredibly impressive! Followed directly a bury the QB sack. I know it is a highlight reel but that was a very well put together one. Never had to circle him or point out where he was just wait for the action!

Lots of "Rex" talk in the thread.

Rex has an indirect input in player selection. Here's the flow:

• Rex from a tactical coach point of view, tells Doug the general types of players he wants to win now
  • Doug looks at it from a strategic point of view: a multi-year view, what the Coach wants.. salary cap.. quality of this and future future draft classes in various positions
  • Doug makes the pick

Tactical v. Strategic ... google it.

Doug has been pretty damn good with the strategic.

Rex? let's discuss in Jan 16.

Come on. Forget all of that! Rex will be wearing his Clemson helmet in the draft room and the pick will be either Shaq Lawson or Kevin Dodd. If they're both gone then maybe Mackensie Alexander.

Come on. Forget all of that! Rex will be wearing his Clemson helmet in the draft room and the pick will be either Shaq Lawson or Kevin Dodd. If they're both gone then maybe Mackensie Alexander.

Elway had CHJ and Talib then went on to draft Bradley Roby in the first! Bring on Mackensie!!

This is a little out of your league WEO, it's not a Pats*** Love Fest thread.

Did you come up with that all by yourself? Well done, sir.

I agree. My point was that weight is much closer to 370 than 307.

That's one opinion (Rex a draft dominator).

I believe Doug is in charge on draft day... and I believe Rex is OK with that.

At 24 seconds he drops to space. Then chases the receiver stride for stride for 30 yards. That was incredibly impressive! Followed directly a bury the QB sack. I know it is a highlight reel but that was a very well put together one. Never had to circle him or point out where he was just wait for the action!

that chasedown of the Kansas RB who caught the pass out of the backfield blew me away - Billings chased him 30 plus yards downfield for a tackle/push out of bounds. Insane for a man that size.

Billings has to be on the radar. and high on the Whaley board.