QB Lynch very high priority for Bills/Jets!!

I don't know anything at all about Lynch and his quality as a prospect. Having said, that I'd be a little disappointed if we took him at 19. And I would be extremely disappointed if we traded up to get him. As many others have said, we have immediate needs at other positions and we should be striving to make the playoff this year and to confirm whether or not Tyrod is the long terms answer.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will if a team is desperate for a QB. For a regular player I would agree. If it was the Broncos trying to jump ahead of the Jets we could get their 2nd and 3rd and 4th like what they did to jump up for Tebow

As long as we do not remind them what they gave up for Tebow.

The 49ers are going to take him?

I meant he'll be taken within the first 8 picks. Could be the 49'ers, could be the Browns, or could be a team like the Jets.

Edited by Doc

no. No. No. No. The worst term is "re-up"

It sends chills down my spine. Every time I hear it, it makes me want to punch a baby.

Mrags, I wonder why you shudder when you hear "re-up".

It was used in the military as the term to "re-enlist" (sign up for 6 more years in the Army or whatever branch).

The re-up concept was quite distasteful to some soldiers because they were not there voluntarily. This was the Vietnam era when the draft was still in effect. I can't imagine why the term "re-up" in a football sense would bug you, but everybody has their buttons.

Personally, I find the expression "I just threw up in my mouth a little" to be pretty foul, but some people like to express themselves that way.

Off topic a bit, but hey, that's life.

saints have met with him more than any other player. in years past the guys that they seem enamored with have been the pick. it could be an interesting move to take him, and maybe let brees walk.

I hope the Saints or any other team ahead of the Bills take him. Push the defensive talent available down one more spot.

I think Lynch will go much earlier than most people here expect. Rare size and physical ability. Who knows about the rest. I don't think the Bills will want to trade the necessary assets to move up and take him if that is what it would take to get him.

Sounds like Cardale Jones and he's a 3rd/4th rounder in a sane world.

As per the Draft Value Chart, we would swap 1sts with Denver & pick up their 2nd. That's all. And that's a late 2nd.

Nah, that wouldn't be all. The 2nd rounder is basically a 3rd rounder. They would have to include more picks or a desired player or a high pick in next years draft. I don't see Whaley dropping 12 spots to get pick 60 something. Especially as the Broncos would be trading up for a QB. It might not be much more, but it would be more.

Bills trade down from #19 with the Cleveland Browns, who jump ahead of the Jets.

Bills get Rd 2, pick1 (32) and Rd 3, pick 2 (65) and Rd 4 pick1 (99).

No way. If the Bills have to drop out of round 1 the Browns better be getting up off of both 3rd rounders they have. 65 and 77. Bills already have two fourths. The value in 2nd and 3rd round is good. And the Browns get taxed for dropping the Bills back into the 2nd round and for the QB.

True Accuracy metric....

This year's class doesn't challenge the very best numbers in this category. Wentz and Goff are neck and neck on this, but Lynch eclipses both. While scouts have questioned how often Lynch stuck to short passes -- he threw 42 percent of passes less than 5 yards, compared to 36.4 percent for Goff and 29.3 for Wentz -- this stat accounts for the distance of his passes, and he still comes out on top.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15232186/a-closer-look-top-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-carson-wentz-jared-goff

This could be very interesting. I had mentioned previously that Lynch was the real deal and that the Bills were setting a smokescreen by talking about taking other players.

Hopefully smoke that gets a team to trade up with us so we can get more picks. the more I think about Lynch the more I don't like him. He has the "potential" but needs A LOT of work to be NFL ready.

saints have met with him more than any other player. in years past the guys that they seem enamored with have been the pick. it could be an interesting move to take him, and maybe let brees walk.

they better let him sit behind Brees for a couple yrs.

If they draft Lynch, then I've never wanted to be wrong about a player more in my entire life.

right :lol:

If he's there at 19 we can trade back and get a boat load of picks. We could get a starting LB, DL, and QB with our first 3 picks!

If we select Lynch at 19 that is a nightmare come true. If we trade up to get him I'm going to seek therapy to break away from this sunken ship. I could not think of a worse move, this would be worse than EJ. Taylor is serviceable, draft is loaded with front 7 talent ---- we are starving for front 7 talent.

Then we go an blow our wad on an overhyped project at QB. Yikes. I wonder if the defend everything crowd will still remain loyal, that's how bad a move that would be.

Not really, we have two probowl DTs, a good Rusher in Hughes with solid ends. We could use another pass rusher but it's not the end of the world

Take a good player at 19 and let the Jets deal with Lynch. That's a win win scenario. I don't see why Denver would overpay to move up when they could stay put and take a more pro ready QB like Cook. Cook could challenge Sanchez sooner, Lynch is going to need time and a few visits to the Wizard of Oz.

Hey that's my QB!

I'm 100% certain that the Bills will not take Lynch at 19. IF someone likes him & believes the nyj are interested then we have a trade partner & we move back. IF the move back is to 28-31 the Bills will take a QB whether Cook or Hackenberg if one is still there. Getting that 5th year on a "developmental" QB is extremely important. IF the move back is into the second round don't be surprised to see them jump back into 1 for the same reason.

Lynch is my new fav QB. Because of the possible trade value it will give our pick knowing the Jets would take him at 20. Our phone will be ringing off the hook with QB needy teams looking to trade for our pick

Edited by kdiggz

Mrags, I wonder why you shudder when you hear "re-up".

It was used in the military as the term to "re-enlist" (sign up for 6 more years in the Army or whatever branch).

The re-up concept was quite distasteful to some soldiers because they were not there voluntarily. This was the Vietnam era when the draft was still in effect. I can't imagine why the term "re-up" in a football sense would bug you, but everybody has their buttons.

Personally, I find the expression "I just threw up in my mouth a little" to be pretty foul, but some people like to express themselves that way.

Off topic a bit, but hey, that's life.

well, you got me. I looked it up and its actually in the Marriam Webster dictionary. All this time I just thought it was a lazy way of saying re-sign. While this doesn't change a thing for me. I will still think it's just people lazily stating re-up. I actually shudder even more thinking this is an actual term. Now I hate you for it.

;-)

BR reports that both the Bills and Jets are "extremely interested" in Lynch and would likely have to trade up to get him most likely because there are other teams that are interested in him as well.

SF (select well before the Bills in R1) and Denver (select well after the Bills in R1) could be two of those teams.

My opinion regarding this issue is that a franchise QB is a very, very difficult commodity to acquire, which Bills fans know all too well not having had one since Jim Kelly's playing days in the 1990's. If the Bills believe Lynch is a franchise QB they should do what they can to get him....within reason.

Isn't there a reason one can't link BR articles directly here?

I'm remembering a draft where everyone was certain we would take Ryan Nassib. We all knew how that went. Then there was Kiper (I think) was expounding on how Jimmy Claussen was the best QB in his draft.

Whoever we're really interested in, I don't think we'll be reading about it in BR or any other media pundit but maybe that's just me.

Beerball, I think you had one tonight. I'm sure you were just being sarcastic on EJ, but just had a chill thinking of that one. We should have a contest next year for who could pull the Trump ad tell EJ "You're Fired!"

Nice kid, but that Jags game really sealed his fate.

You know, I'm not enamored of EJ. I think he might have had a chance to be a decent NFL QB if he'd had good QB mentoring from Day 1 and a year or 2 on the bench, but that ship has sailed (I'm not at all convinced Lee is a good QB coach, BTW. I think he made Fitzy worse).

OTOH, I'm also genuinely puzzled why people insist "the Jags game sealed his fate". He didn't even have a passer rating of zero, and he played decently in the 2nd half of the game which speaks well of his mental strength. If you look at the list of QB who actually have posted a passer rating of zero, there are some pretty distinguished names on that list - Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath (2x), Terry Bradshaw (3x), all 3 Mannings (!).

Moreover, people here claim Hoyer > EJ in despite of the awful Texans-KC game he had - way worse than the EJ Jags game.

My point is, if EJ's "fate" is sealed, it's not because of the Jags game, because many a decent or good or great QB has a bad game. It's because his overall level of play isn't high enough, and because the current coaching staff has moved on from him as a starter and he wants a chance to start - so next year when his contract is up, he will likely move on, and be given a chance elsewhere in this QB hungry league.

Edited by Hopeful

You know, I'm not enamored of EJ. I think he might have had a chance to be a decent NFL QB if he'd had good QB mentoring from Day 1 and a year or 2 on the bench, but that ship has sailed (I'm not at all convinced Lee is a good QB coach, BTW. I think he made Fitzy worse).

OTOH, I'm also genuinely puzzled why people insist "the Jags game sealed his fate". He didn't even have a passer rating of zero, and he played decently in the 2nd half of the game which speaks well of his mental strength. If you look at the list of QB who actually have posted a passer rating of zero, there are some pretty distinguished names on that list - Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath (2x), Terry Bradshaw (3x), all 3 Mannings (!).

Moreover, people here claim Hoyer > EJ in despite of the awful Texans-KC game he had - way worse than the EJ Jags game.

My point is, if EJ's "fate" is sealed, it's not because of the Jags game, because many a decent or good or great QB has a bad game. It's because his overall level of play isn't high enough, and because the current coaching staff has moved on from him as a starter and he wants a chance to start - so next year when his contract is up, he will likely move on, and be given a chance elsewhere in this QB hungry league.

From my perspective, at some point the year before last I knew he wasn't starting NFL material. But, I have to agree that the Jags game did indeed seal his fate.

It was horrific

So what happens if Tyrod plays great the first 4 games of the season and then has a season ending injury. EJ comes in and plays well. Leads team to the playoffs and even a win in playoff game 1?

it is a bit early to start drinking as the draft doesn't start for over 24 hours but you do you

So what happens if Tyrod plays great the first 4 games of the season and then has a season ending injury. EJ comes in and plays well. Leads team to the playoffs and even a win in playoff game 1?

You should start a thread about that because I don't see how it's related to this topic in the least.

Lynch might be the best shot Bills have to trade down. But if he goes earlier than 19 Cook might be next up or Hackenberg even.

My point is if teams start chasing QBs after the second pick in the draft , it is good for the Bills

Edited by 3rdand12

I just can't buy the smoke with Lynch and the Bills in the 1st. It doesn't add up to me. There are at least 3 other teams without established starting QBs going into the draft - Browns, jets, Broncos. Add in the Niners as well, I'd think. Then you consider the Saints who have met with him multiple times and may need a new starter as soon as next year. Any of these 5 are more likely to either take him before the Bills (Niners, Browns, Saints) or offer more in a trade up (jets, Broncos) if he is indeed that good. If he's not gone by 19 then how good is he really, with all these QB-less teams passing on him and feeling ok going with the next tier of QBs?

Further, the Bills did not bring him in for a visit, which based on recent history in the Whaley regime, is meaningful for a 1st rd pick. They took him out to dinner, which based on recent history in he Whaley regime is meaningless.

Also, a 1st round QB adds negative distraction to the TT situation if they have any interest in signing him long-term. The media will be all over it. 1st round QB says " we think this guy is our future starter." 2nd round or later just has a different connotation. As in, we think this guy has potential in the league, and it's a priority that we draft a QB because we have 2 QBs on the roster and both have expiring contracts. Which is what Whaley has been saying all along.

I think they are simply trying to add to his trade up value by delivering all the leaks to the media. They will take a QB possibly as early as the 2nd, but I will be shocked if it's Paxton lynch in the 1st, even if he does fall to 19.

I hope I'm not wrong!

Edited by YoloinOhio

I just can't buy the smoke with Lynch and the Bills in the 1st. It doesn't add up to me. There are at least 3 other teams without established starting QBs going into the draft - Browns, jets, Broncos. Add in the Niners as well, I'd think. Then you consider the Saints who have met with him multiple times and may need a new starter as soon as next year. Any of these 5 are more likely to either take him before the Bills (Niners, Browns, Saints) or offer more in a trade up (jets, Broncos) if he is indeed that good. If he's not gone by 19 then how good is he really, with all these QB-less teams passing on him and feeling ok going with the next tier of QBs?

Further, the Bills did not bring him in for a visit, which based on recent history in the Whaley regime, is meaningful for a 1st rd pick. They took him out to dinner, which based on recent history in he Whaley regime is meaningless.

Also, a 1st round QB adds negative distraction to the TT situation if they have any interest in signing him long-term. The media will be all over it. 1st round QB says " we think this guy is our future starter." 2nd round or later just has a different connotation. As in, we think this guy has potential in the league, and it's a priority that we draft a QB because we have 2 QBs on the roster and both have expiring contracts. Which is what Whaley has been saying all along.

I think they are simply trying to add to his trade up value by delivering all the leaks to the media. They will take a QB possibly as early as the 2nd, but I will be shocked if it's Paxton lynch in the 1st, even if he does fall to 19.

I hope I'm not wrong!

If you were GM, would you gamble that Tyrod Taylor is going to suddenly "develop" into a franchise, playoff QB or snag a 6'7" round one caliber kid who might be "the answer" in Buffalo? If they are not 100% convinced of TT's upside, they HAVE to address the position. Lynch is a perfect pick at 19 and if we don't take him, the Jets will at 20. So suddenly THEY have the franchise QB and we're sitting with another FItz for five years at $12 million a year.

If you were GM, would you gamble that Tyrod Taylor is going to suddenly "develop" into a franchise, playoff QB or snag a 6'7" round one caliber kid who might be "the answer" in Buffalo? If they are not 100% convinced of TT's upside, they HAVE to address the position. Lynch is a perfect pick at 19 and if we don't take him, the Jets will at 20. So suddenly THEY have the franchise QB and we're sitting with another FItz for five years at $12 million a year.

"if they have any interest in signing TT long term."

Your GM doesn't seem to? Our GM does seem to. Addressing the position and taking this guy in the 1st are not one and the same.

There are 4 teams ahead of us and two behind us without either an established starter or a playoff QB on the roster. If lynch is a franchise QB, why is he still there and no one took him earlier or traded up for him? That's the scenario I discussed. Unless you think the Bills are just smarter than everyone else? If the Jets and Broncos think he is what you seem to think he is, why didn't they trade up for him?

Edited by YoloinOhio

What if you don't think Lynch is a franchise caliber QB, as several of us believe?