If Tyrod leads us to the Playoffs

Bakin

So Tyrod Taylor can't win a Super Bowl but just last season the Super Bowl was won by a team that literally got the worst quarterback play of any team in the entire league? Got it.

Oh please lol. By one of the best defenses of all time. We don't even have the best defense in our division. Quit dreaming

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod freaking Taylor....20 plus million. For a A playoff appearance. No dont think so. He needs a specific offense. I dont see a huge bidding war market over him. Im Whaley, i would play some hardball in those negotiations.

Did you see the money Brock Osweiller got? He did much less than Tyrod has. He also is only a year younger.

20M is top 15 QB money... If he brings us to the playoffs, that puts him in a class among the 12 best teams, and credit is put on the QB play (bad as we know all to well) and good which clearly we don't know that well because we're concerned about paying a playoff QB top 15 money.

Yes, Tyrod should be a 20M a year guy in this case.

I looked into this earlier in the off season after the contracts handed out to Bradford and Osweiller (who both got way overpaid imo)

There are 21 qbs in the league who AVERAGE over 16 million a year. The only 2 qbs in the entire league who are on a second contract and make less than that while expected to start are Foles at 12.2 and RG3 at 7.5. Tyrod is all the way down at 1.1.

Tyrod is looking at least at 16 million next year at the absolute lowest end if he performs well playoffs or not. The going rate for a qb is astronomical right now. If the Bills don't want to open the purse strings you have to believe that someone will. Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, and Kirk Cousins are all qbs who are slated to be FA next year. Kirk Cousins likely sets the Tyrod market (if Tyrod performs well next season). This year he got the franchise tag and 19.9 million. That means with the contract leap frog (great term btw) 20 million is not unexpected (if he plays well)

This draught is killing us because now everyone's goal is to just make the playoffs. Who cares about 10-6 and a wild card? Isn't the goal to win the Super Bowl? No, Tyrod can't win us the Super Bowl, so he isn't worth $20 to me let alone $20 million

Quite a definitive statement for someone who really has no idea what they're talking about. Well done with the confidence

The Bills should "**** or get off the pot" either sign TT or trade him to Denver or someone else for more than a 1st and take a QB either in the 1st or later! If he walks for nothing that would be a silly waste of a valuable asset.

p.s. NE would do it while they can get a good return!!!

If Tyrod leads us to the playoffs, I think we know what will happen. Taylor will be benched before our playoff game, per the directive of Pegula, so that our backup, 2nd round pick Christian Hackenberg, can play (he has a strong arm and he played at Penn State). We will trail all day, but Tyrod will come off the bench late and lead us down to a potential game-winning field goal attempt which Carpenter will, of course, clang off the right upright.

Did you see the money Brock Osweiller got? He did much less than Tyrod has. He also is only a year younger.

I looked into this earlier in the off season after the contracts handed out to Bradford and Osweiller (who both got way overpaid imo)

There are 21 qbs in the league who AVERAGE over 16 million a year. The only 2 qbs in the entire league who are on a second contract and make less than that while expected to start are Foles at 12.2 and RG3 at 7.5. Tyrod is all the way down at 1.1.

Tyrod is looking at least at 16 million next year at the absolute lowest end if he performs well playoffs or not. The going rate for a qb is astronomical right now. If the Bills don't want to open the purse strings you have to believe that someone will. Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, and Kirk Cousins are all qbs who are slated to be FA next year. Kirk Cousins likely sets the Tyrod market (if Tyrod performs well next season). This year he got the franchise tag and 19.9 million. That means with the contract leap frog (great term btw) 20 million is not unexpected (if he plays well)

But didn't Osweiler get that money because Houston is stupid?

They may end up Ok but that's a significant risk if Brock ends up sucking.

Either way it's a Robosack type error if he flounders which is certainly more likely than not.

As for Tyrod - he signed a contract. He should live by those terms. If he blows up next year, like deep playoff run blow up, then we should all be thrilled and he should get his pay day.

But didn't Osweiler get that money because Houston is stupid?

They may end up Ok but that's a significant risk if Brock ends up sucking.

Either way it's a Robosack type error if he flounders which is certainly more likely than not.

As for Tyrod - he signed a contract. He should live by those terms. If he blows up next year, like deep playoff run blow up, then we should all be thrilled and he should get his pay day.

Yes osweiller did get it because they are stupid but it only takes one team to pay out. It seems a safe bet that another team would throw money at tyrod if he took the Bills to the playoffs.

I am all in. Just like every year

you are good soldier in arms. To victory or defeat we go, but our heart are pure

Yes osweiller did get it because they are stupid but it only takes one team to pay out. It seems a safe bet that another team would throw money at tyrod if he took the Bills to the playoffs.

Be interesting to see how Houstons investment pays out.

the question seems simple but it isn't, because contracts aren't simple. I think they would and should give him a Andy Dalton type contract if he makes the playoffs and plays well. It's pay as you go and team-friendly, yet provides security with a big chunk up front and incentive to the player with escalators for playoff wins.

:thumbsup:

Nice post. Very factual and whether we like it or not, the market sets the bar, not fans. I can't remember the last fan saying anyone is worth the money they received on these contracts. The cap keeps going up, and QB is the most coveted position. If you add those teams with aging or injury prone QB's it is like half the league looking for one almost every year.

Look what Osweiller got for doing nothing really.

And this talk about TT only getting that money if he is the "main reason" we get to the playoffs is silly. This defense isn't will never be as good as Denver's was last year, so if they get to the playoffs it has to be to a significant degree due to the offense and TT by implication.

With how our Defense looked last year, I think getting to the playoffs next year is going to be on the offense to put up enough points where the Defense doesnt have to be a wall.

I would want to see three things if I was Whaley:

#1 (by far): Tyrod plays all 16 games. I need a guy who doesn't miss time if I'm going to invest big time $$. NFL franchise QBs almost never miss games barring serious (and very rare) injuries. I want Tyrod to show that he can play all 16. He did not in year #1 (and I get that can happen to anyone) but if he can't do it in year #2 either that is a major concern for me because we have a pattern then.

#2: I want to see more consistent, sustained drives. Tyrod's typical stats for a game are like 11/15, 195 YDS, 1-2 TD. I want to see at least 5-6 300 yard games during the season. I want to know that my guy can go toe to toe with anyone slinging the ball around the field when we need to.

#3: I would like to see Tyrod finish with around 4,000 YDS passing for the season. that's 250/game on average. If you want 20+ million I expect some serious production, and 4,000 YDS isn;t what is used to be. He doesn't have to exactly hit it, but be in the ballpark.

If he does those 3 things I would pay him the big $$. You can't go by W/L IMO.

It is when you have no cap room. Other than that, I'd agree. Hope they can manage through this.

Bills have plenty of Cap room... Also QB is the one position where cap room doesn't matter b.c once you find one you MUST keep them.

This is what all of you that don't want to pay a QB don't understand... It is the most important position on the field. It is the only position that can have the biggest outcome in games.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Say 10-6, decent stats, no injuries.....

Do you pay him $20M per year??

What are your MINIMUM expectations for him to sign him long term?

I don't think stats are the true indicator. The stats were good last season. If the stats are good again, but we also see him consistently and effectively use the middle of the field in the passing game, bring us back in fourth quarter, two minute drills when the opportunities present themselves, I say pay him 20 million a year. Whether they are 10-6, 9-7, etc. The record might not be indicative of his overall improvement or play; for instance the Bills offense averages 27 points per game, but the defense gives up 30 points per game. My minimum expectation is we see him become a total QB. I believe this is what we will see this season. He just needs to stay healthy.

The convo starts at 20 mil whether we like or not.

And if we don't give it to him, someone else will

this. reality in the NFL. If you are an accomplished starter at QB in the NFL, that is the going rate. is what it is. look what Osweiler got, and he is not what I would call an accomplished NFL QB.. its messed up, but the Billions paid for television rights is messed up as well... the players are essentially being paid by teams from their share of the TV $$ , so, the more you watch the game on TV, the more the players will get paid.. they get paid like actors in a very popular movie, and a minimally accomplished QB is considered the star of the movie.

Okay, I've mentioned this in one of the numerous similar threads, but give me some opinions regarding the possibilities for Tyrod's performance this season. I'll include mine:

Improves substantially

Effectively stays the same as in 2015 in all respects

Falls off substantially

The first and third seems pretty obvious. He either gets that big, market value deal (or tagged to buy time to agree to such a deal) or the Bills move on. But what if we get the same from him? What if he pulls down the ball and runs in lieu of going through progressions when his first read isn't available? What if he runs well, but it causes him to miss 2-3 games because he's dinged? What if he's top 10 in efficiency stats (passer rating, QBR), but bottom 10 in production stats (attempts, yards) again? What do you do in this scenario? The one that is by far the toughest - and most likely? Working out a contract would be very difficult and highly unlikely in this case so I see him getting tagged if the Bills don't have decent options. Maybe even if they do. It's also why they need to draft or otherwise acquire another option. This weekend is a good chance for that.

If the OL were better in pass protection that should offset a better prepared opposing DCs for Taylor.

Being the starter from TC , 2nd year in system he should be a lot better.

Healthy RBs will also help

Oh please lol. By one of the best defenses of all time. We don't even have the best defense in our division. Quit dreaming

Denver had a very good defense. But all time great? They were marginally better than Seattle, houston, and NYJ yardage wise. If you look at turnovers they were worse than Carolina (who had arguably the best D in the NFL) and Arizona.

Look at the playoff teams from last year... there are ur usual suspects. But Bridgewater, Alex Smith, whoever Houston started, Dalton (didn't start, but got his team there), Cousins, and bad Manning. Those guys all started playoff games.

Is TT that far off from them? Like him or not, he really isn't.

Yes they were by many accounts a top 5 defense of all time and definitely top 10

I'll give them the playoff run - some great stuff in the most important games. But maintaining home field was pretty important there, and they almost lucked their way into that. I don't think they beat brady in NE.

Other than that... I felt like they faded as the actual season went on.

I just personally don't think they were THAT much better than Carolina, Seattle, Arizona. But that's me.

And back to TT being a "playoff QB". Assume DEN had an all-time great D. And below average QB play, and a below average running game. How good would TT need to be assuming we have a top 10 defense?

Edited by dneveu

Dominant safeties?

Who? Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool? Hardly dominant safeties.

They need some help at LB, but I'd rather they draft BPA in first and wait until 2nd or 3rd for LB.

Players need to buy in. He needs to sell it to them. Neither seemed to happen last year.

We were a mess. If we can not be a mess, i think we can probably be pretty good.

We could win the superbowl and there would still be people on this board who refuse to get behind anyone who isn't a 6'5 pocket passer.

Afraid you just cannot please everyone all the time and some you cannot ever please.

I am just glad to be on this earth to watch another Bills draft. Simple Man simple needs

Afraid you just cannot please everyone all the time and some you cannot ever please.

I am just glad to be on this earth to watch another Bills draft. Simple Man simple needs

Ahh, you get it! Better yet for me, both my sons are huge Bills fans and will be joining us on a Florida trip during draft time. I get texts and calls daily. The Bills have given me a gift that keeps on giving. Now, if we could only win.....

2016 QB franchise tag is $20M and it's only going up next year. Even at 6-10 or 8-8, Tyrod is getting at least $20M, unless the Bills catch lightning in a bottle and draft a QB that can lead them to the playoffs. Either way, I see Tyrod making lots of monay next year, perhaps just not here.

I'm going to get absolutely roasted for this, but whatever.

Anyone else concerned with how he looked in the Pro Bowl? I mean, dude just looked lost and had happy feet out there. For a scrimmage and people not trying too hard, Tyrod looked visibly rattled out there in comparison to everyone else.

There's a part of me bracing for a step back. Not because of the pro bowl exactly, but because I just don't think any decent qb should be capable of looking like that

I would want to see three things if I was Whaley:

#1 (by far): Tyrod plays all 16 games. I need a guy who doesn't miss time if I'm going to invest big time $$. NFL franchise QBs almost never miss games barring serious (and very rare) injuries. I want Tyrod to show that he can play all 16. He did not in year #1 (and I get that can happen to anyone) but if he can't do it in year #2 either that is a major concern for me because we have a pattern then.

#2: I want to see more consistent, sustained drives. Tyrod's typical stats for a game are like 11/15, 195 YDS, 1-2 TD. I want to see at least 5-6 300 yard games during the season. I want to know that my guy can go toe to toe with anyone slinging the ball around the field when we need to.

#3: I would like to see Tyrod finish with around 4,000 YDS passing for the season. that's 250/game on average. If you want 20+ million I expect some serious production, and 4,000 YDS isn;t what is used to be. He doesn't have to exactly hit it, but be in the ballpark.

If he does those 3 things I would pay him the big $$. You can't go by W/L IMO.

Why are you expecting Taylor to generate all the offense when we have Shady and Karlos? So you'd be upset if TT has 3,000 yards and the Bills led the league in rushing?

Anyone else concerned with how he looked in the Pro Bowl? I mean, dude just looked lost and had happy feet out there. For a scrimmage and people not trying too hard, Tyrod looked visibly rattled out there in comparison to everyone else.

There's a part of me bracing for a step back. Not because of the pro bowl exactly, but because I just don't think any decent qb should be capable of looking like that

:doh: :doh: :doh:

You watched the pro bowl? That is much more of a concern. :rolleyes:

This draught is killing us because now everyone's goal is to just make the playoffs. Who cares about 10-6 and a wild card? Isn't the goal to win the Super Bowl? No, Tyrod can't win us the Super Bowl, so he isn't worth $20 to me let alone $20 million

What data you using to conclude Tyrod can't win a SB ?