Carolina rescinds tag on Norman

Just throwing it out because it really becomes Norman & a 2 or Gilmore. Again, it's not likely (at all) but I'm just throwing it out.

I'm curious to see the deal Norman gets. Gilmore isn't signing anything until the market is fully set.

Panthers picked the worst time to do this from our standpoint.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrific decision by the Panthers. I have been saying throughout that he is 28 and has a good season and a half. He started 2014 on the bench, yes he has played very well since, but it is just too big a gamble. How many corners continue to play at a high level into their 30s? It isn't many. He allegedly wanted 6 years... you are not going to commit to him for that long at a big ticket price... even 4 would be a push for me.

gilmore a legit top tier man cover guy

norman an adequate zone safety

not even close who's worth more

should not even be mentioned in the same breath

Lol what the heck is this!? A zone safety? Mrhmm your Bills biased is a little strong on this take.

Just throwing it out because it really becomes Norman & a 2 or Gilmore. Again, it's not likely (at all) but I'm just throwing it out.

Heads up Gilmore is better but compared to Norman and a pick that could be Darby (or kujo) it's an interesting talk.

The dollars would make a difference in the discussion though.

What's the hypothetical pay on each?

Heads up Gilmore is better but compared to Norman and a pick that could be Darby (or kujo) it's an interesting talk.

The dollars would make a difference in the discussion though.

What's the hypothetical pay on each?

I am thinking similar. Apparently the Panthers wanted Norman for $11M. Maybe something like the 5 years and $65.5M that Haden got? At least I think that he got about $13M a year on average. Again, just throwing it out for conversation sake.

I get that, but Carolina controls the strings. They basically gave Norman what he wanted. You would think they could use his services this year if he refused the trade. What does freeing up $14MM at this point do?

there was the possibility of not signing the tag until after camp...maybe missing all OTAs including camp and becoming a pain during the process

I'm seeing a lot of zone corner shaming going on. Acting like it's not a skill, get the !@#$ outta here.

Oh that's just jtsp going jtsp again. It's a thing.

Top 4 dominant corner this season is somehow not as good as Corey graham.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I'm seeing a lot of zone corner shaming going on. Acting like it's not a skill, get the !@#$ outta here.

It's remarkable how few there are that can play man coverages and zone coverages equally well, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Carolina couldn't trade Norman because he wasn't under contract as he didn't sign his tender, this is why they could rescind it.

In my opinion this is a mistake on Norman's part. There's a limited market for him at this point so he's going to get much less money than if he played under the 14 million tag for a year and became a free agent next year.

@JasonColeBR

At least 8 teams have expressed interest in ex-#Panthers CB Josh Norman. Among those are #Bucs, #Dolphins, #49ers, #Rams and #Bears.

media still not getting what the panthers are signalling the rest of the league informed them:

the guy is not that good and got torched every time he went one on one against top WRs. why in the world pay a guy top dollar if he can't hold his own against the opponent's top players? a one year deal for a guy ... even if overpaid ... would have been tolerable. But no one is giving him a long term, top dollar deal

Can't blame the player for trying to get as much money as he can... Panthers just aren't going to be the team to give it to him.

This could set the market for Gilmore.

I doubt he gets 16 mil from any team.

I'm curious to see the deal Norman gets. Gilmore isn't signing anything until the market is fully set.

Panthers picked the worst time to do this from our standpoint.

I don't think its bad for the Bills at all. Actually, the fact the Panthers didn't give in to 16 million is good for the Bills. If Norman has gotten that Gilmore's agent would be asking for that ballpark. I don't think Norman gets that from any other team. Even the ones who have a lot of money to spend.

I doubt he gets 16 mil from any team.

I don't think its bad for the Bills at all. Actually, the fact the Panthers didn't give in to 16 million is good for the Bills. If Norman has gotten that Gilmore's agent would be asking for that ballpark. I don't think Norman gets that from any other team. Even the ones who have a lot of money to spend.

I've got to agree. It will set a cap for Gilmore. If the market isn't "set" then the agent is going to try for a number beyond the highest.

There might be someone desperate enough to splash the cash on him. Even if the Panthers didn't, someone else might. Carolina value their DL more, they'll spend on Short and Lotulelei.

If average corners like Joe Haden are getting $13.5m a year, Norman has every right to hold out for more.

the guy is not that good and got torched every time he went one on one against top WRs. why in the world pay a guy top dollar if he can't hold his own against the opponent's top players?

Top ranked CB in football last year. What other uber wrong takes do you want to post ?

Maybe that helps with Gilmore negotiations, who knows. Norman is now currently a FA.

this is what may happen with Gilmore. If Rex's defense is so pressure scheme and confusion dependant, why do you need $20m corners... i know i know they are on an island, etc. but they only have to cover for 2 or 3 seconds before the ball is forced out by the pressure... my sense is you pay average rate for corners and overpay the smarter players and the Jerry Hughes types who can run the Rex pressure scheme... right?