Carolina rescinds tag on Norman

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports were 8 teams have reached out to his agent including the Dolphins, but the 49ers seemed to have the most interest. I'm surprised the Jags aren't in the hunt. They run a 4-3, and use zone corners and have the most cap space. I don't think they have to give Bortles his big contract for two years so they're not saving for him next year.

What would be best for us with Gilmore is he gets at most 12.5 mil in another club, and he could have stayed on a SB team for that money. It also sounds like Carolina was a little over his interest in media attn.

If I get my wish we can make the case for Gilmore for $13.5 mil with more guaranteed than Norman's deal to make him happy.

Carolina has a good message board. The Carolina huddle or something. Xanr remember it. It'll have info. But I'd heard this down here is that talks were terrible and neither side was ever going to be close. The panthers not believing he is worth it and didn't want to give him more than 4 yrs. He was looking for 6+ yrs. Etc

Basically, he's overrated as can be

I think your dead on with this one. This guy is not Revis in his prime. Carolina knows what they have in him & that is a slightly above average CB that is significantly helped out by the coverages Carolina plays. Some team will foolishly give Norman 5 years - 70 million with half of it guaranteed, I am just glad it is not going to be the Bills.

I'm seeing a lot of zone corner shaming going on. Acting like it's not a skill, get the !@#$ outta here.

Agreed.

Carolina couldn't trade Norman because he wasn't under contract as he didn't sign his tender, this is why they could rescind it.

In my opinion this is a mistake on Norman's part. There's a limited market for him at this point so he's going to get much less money than if he played under the 14 million tag for a year and became a free agent next year.

Exactly. Players are not actually traded, contracts are. No contract, no trade. If Norman's agent had found a team to trade for him he'd have had to have signed a contract first.

Top ranked CB in football last year. What other uber wrong takes do you want to post ?

Not all CBs are created equal. A simple system change and a great CB can become a bad CB,and vice versa. Norman is not a Revis, either is Sherman. Sherman for example plays the same side of the field all game long.

Unless your scheme requires excellent CB play with types who are left alone on the outside with WR's, I'm not sure investing in CB's to this degree is absolutely necessary.

A team has to align scheme with cost requirements, like what was done years ago in Indianapolis. They weren't going to spend big on defense because more was required for the offensive side of the ball with P. Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Clark, E. James, et al. So their defensive scheme, a Tampa-2 was suitable because corners were zone types, the LBs were smaller quicker types, and their big dollar types were DE's and safeties, and perhaps DT's.

The Bills don't seem to have that. Their personnel acquisition isn't aligned with scheme, which means (as Whaley noted) they're top heavy. This only happens though when you've got solid personnel administration and coaching who are in lock step. I'm not sure the Bills have been there in more than 20 years.

Good for Gettlleman. Now Norman can go look for the big contract after all the teams have spent most of their cap.

Edited by BillsVet

Not all CBs are created equal. A simple system change and a great CB can become a bad CB,and vice versa. Norman is not a Revis, either is Sherman. Sherman for example plays the same side of the field all game long.

Norman is awesome. He plays w fire and will tackle anyone.

Revis can't do that anymore.

I think your dead on with this one. This guy is not Revis in his prime. Carolina knows what they have in him & that is a slightly above average CB that is significantly helped out by the coverages Carolina plays. Some team will foolishly give Norman 5 years - 70 million with half of it guaranteed, I am just glad it is not going to be the Bills.

Teams always foolishly give crazy 2nd or 3rd contracts to "elite QBs". It's always a waste of money.

No one has parlayed this foolishness of FO's better than Revis himself. Look how many contracts he has squeezed out, and yet he has been passed around by more teams than a blunt at Coachella. 4 teams in 4 years! If he stays on the Jets roster, it will be the first time since the 2011 season where a team hasn't let him go after one year.

@RapSheet

Josh Norman news: The free agent CB is hiring agent Ryan Williams of Athletes First to take lead on his contract. Michael George will co-rep

Hmm... Wonder if Norman could stay in Carolina. Reminds me of when the Giants rescinded Plaxico's tag, he got a new agent, and then signed with the Giants.