Carolina rescinds tag on Norman

@AlbertBreer

Reality of Redskins CB Josh Norman's deal: 2 yrs, $36.5 million, fully guaranteed; $500K in per-game roster bonuses in '17. Then, options.

Wow that's a really smart contract. Don't lock him in long-term in case the coaching staff changes (Gruden will likely get 2 more years anyway), they have a ton of cap space next season, and it'll take him through 30 years old. It's a lot of money ($18.25 mil/year), but super smart contract and they have a ton of cap room next season.

Now they just need to sign Kirk long-term so they can spread out some of that cap hit.

Props to the Skins on it. I like it more structured like that for sure.

Edited by Chilly

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I agree--the teams with one great-to-elite corner tend to always be near the top of the league.

Who were the best corners in football last year? Sherman, Norman, Peterson, Vonta Davis, Aquib Talib? Notice a trend?

Man coverage teams like to use their top corner to take out the opposing teams best target. It's a smart move, as you can focus the rest of your back 7 to shutting down 2 or 3 options in the passing game.

Zone coverage teams like to use their top corner to take away 1/3 of the field (i.e. Seattle's Cover-3 and Cover-3 Buzz); it allows the back 7 to focus on 33% less area.

If you want to know what's valued in today's NFL, just follow the money--there's a reason that coaches can't get enough solid CB play, and there's also a reason that the team boasting the NFL's best CB tandem just so happened to be the Super Bowl Champions.

Agreed

@AdamSchefter

As CB Josh Norman is with Redskins, Saints are making strong push to sign him, per sources. Decision down to Redskins and Saints.

They are both terrible with FAs and their cap management.

Gotta give the guy credit. He stuck to his guns and got PAID. This was his one and only chance at a huge payday and he got it.

Yeah it does. Dan Snyder has been very restrained for a couple years now. He just couldn't control himself anymore.

What does "all around" even mean in this case? Norman is probably the top zone corner in the NFL right now. Gilmore isn't the top corner in any category. He's an excellent corner, but nobody who is unbiased is saying he's as good a corner as Norman.

Disagree.

Gilmore is better.

He has his highest leverage in a sport where players get chewed up and spit out. He blows out his knee on a franchise tag and his career is over.

Norman won and won big. Keep saying he is overrated and he will keep cashing major checks. Good for him.

Cannot argue that .

He has his highest leverage in a sport where players get chewed up and spit out. He blows out his knee on a franchise tag and his career is over.

Norman won and won big. Keep saying he is overrated and he will keep cashing major checks. Good for him.

He's on his way to the Hall of Haynesworth

You really felt the need to post Josh Norman sucks like 30 times in this thread?

Dude got paid a lot of money after being an unheralded prospect from Costal Carolina. He won at life.

I think this is a case where the player looked out for his interest (as he should) and Carolina felt that they acted in their own best intermediate and long term interest. Norman was not very happy with being tagged and made it known. So the team must have felt that he was the type of person who couldn't separate the business side of the profession from the playing side of the profession. Instead of dealing with a disgruntled locker room presence they simply cleaned the slate and will use that cap money in a more spread out fashion.

The Redskins calculated that it was in their best interest to bring in this high cost player. The Panthers calculated that it was in their best interest not to lock up this particular talented player with a high cost contract (even on a one year deal). This type of transaction is part of the fabric of all professional sports that are subjected to a cap system.

He would have probably had more leverage next season at the start of free agency, but I agree with what you're saying. Great fit too with the Redskins defense and good contract structure by Washington. That deal was a win for both sides.

Norman won on this deal. He basically signed a two year 18.5 mil deal, and will be 31 at that point. He had one breakout year on a top 3 defense.

He's very good, but I wouldn't put him as a top 5 CB. I could really care less as not in our division, and won't see the Redskins for four years unless we're in the SB. I don't see this as the lynch pin for a top team. They need an incredible draft to make that happen.

If both sides are happy, fine. I just hate what this means to Gilmore, as it could be the end of him in one to two years. I know we can tag him for one year, but not after.

Norman won on this deal. He basically signed a two year 18.5 mil deal, and will be 31 at that point. He had one breakout year on a top 3 defense.

He's very good, but I wouldn't put him as a top 5 CB. I could really care less as not in our division, and won't see the Redskins for four years unless we're in the SB. I don't see this as the lynch pin for a top team. They need an incredible draft to make that happen.

If both sides are happy, fine. I just hate what this means to Gilmore, as it could be the end of him in one to two years. I know we can tag him for one year, but not after.

well, he did. but it's scaryto think in 3 years what he could be doing. he has a skllset at cb that could translate in to a career past 31, but if he slows down than he maybe over quickly.

either way, he could be a pretty damn good free safety in the right scheme. if only he had better closing speed it would be tremendously likely he'll be a fa.