Carolina rescinds tag on Norman

The Bills don't seem to have that. Their personnel acquisition isn't aligned with scheme, which means (as Whaley noted) they're top heavy. This only happens though when you've got solid personnel administration and coaching who are in lock step. I'm not sure the Bills have been there in more than 20 years.

clearly we havent as we have turned over so many "leaders"

when you have the franchise qb locked in its much easier to create an identity. Though it seems the last few years our perceived identity in March/April doesnt even match what the coach runs in september of the same year.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... Wonder if Norman could stay in Carolina. Reminds me of when the Giants rescinded Plaxico's tag, he got a new agent, and then signed with the Giants.

Yeah, curious he replaced his agent at this point. Apparently the agent wasn't getting him what he wanted. To stay in Carolina???

@rapsheet

Source: Free agent CB Josh Norman has a visit to the #Redskins tomorrow. They get first crack

@christrapasso

#Redskins DC Joe Barry is a Cover 3 proponent. Washington's primary cvg in '15. JNorman would be ideal fit. Wouldn't be learning new scheme.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@rapsheet

Source: Free agent CB Josh Norman has a visit to the #Redskins tomorrow. They get first crack

@christrapasso

#Redskins DC Joe Barry is a Cover 3 proponent. Washington's primary cvg in '15. JNorman would be ideal fit. Wouldn't be learning new scheme.

If there anyone stupid enough to overpay for a four-game wonder, it's Snyder.

Pat Kirwan was talking about how he's not worth near as much as man corners like Denver's duo today. Denver's are making 9 and 8 million respectively.

its all relative to the value that the team places on the CB position in its scheme, and the player's skill set in the scheme. Carolina probably has a 10-11mill value that it will go to on the corner position, maybe they go higher for DTs as an example. Other teams might believe the corner position is extremely valuable to its scheme (like Buffalo) and have a 13-14 mill line in the sand as opposed to say DE.

If Norman is a player that tends to need Safety help a lot or feasts off of the strong front 7, I don't blame them for moving on if he was going to be a problem in the locker room.

Edited by YoloinOhio

its all relative to the value that the team places on the CB position in its scheme, and the player's skill set in the scheme. Carolina probably has a 10-11mill value that it will go to on the corner position, maybe they go higher for DTs as an example. Other teams might believe the corner position is extremely valuable to its scheme (like Buffalo) and have a 13-14 mill line in the sand as opposed to say DE.

If Norman is a player that tends to need Safety help a lot or feasts off of the strong front 7, I don't blame them for moving on if he was going to be a problem in the locker room.

It's also skillset. Norman has only been a zone corner and usually those aren't that important to a scheme.

@adamschefter

Josh Normans deal, when complete, expected be between $14 to $15 MIL per year, per sources. 5-year deals being discussed with Wash and SF.

Doesn't mean a ton without looking at deal structure and guarantees.

Individual corners are way over valued. The way offenses are today, you need a solid secondary collectively. You can do quite well with a bunch of above average to good corners and safety's. Having one supposed "shut down" corner, and the rest of your secondary is mediocre at best is a complete waste. With 3 and 4 receiver sets being the norm for a lot of teams, all a QB has to do is stay away from that one great corner, and that offense is not going to miss a beat. So paying a guy like Josh Norman 14+ million is absolutely ridiculous. I hope the Bills don't overpay to keep Gilmore. We can find two very good corners for 5-6 million each, than paying one guy 12+ million. Remember all, it is a TEAM game!! One player (except an elite QB) will not make that much of a difference.

Individual corners are way over valued. The way offenses are today, you need a solid secondary collectively. You can do quite well with a bunch of above average to good corners and safety's. Having one supposed "shut down" corner, and the rest of your secondary is mediocre at best is a complete waste. With 3 and 4 receiver sets being the norm for a lot of teams, all a QB has to do is stay away from that one great corner, and that offense is not going to miss a beat. So paying a guy like Josh Norman 14+ million is absolutely ridiculous. I hope the Bills don't overpay to keep Gilmore. We can find two very good corners for 5-6 million each, than paying one guy 12+ million. Remember all, it is a TEAM game!! One player (except an elite QB) will not make that much of a difference.

Not sure I agree--the teams with one great-to-elite corner tend to always be near the top of the league.

Who were the best corners in football last year? Sherman, Norman, Peterson, Vonta Davis, Aquib Talib? Notice a trend?

Man coverage teams like to use their top corner to take out the opposing teams best target. It's a smart move, as you can focus the rest of your back 7 to shutting down 2 or 3 options in the passing game.

Zone coverage teams like to use their top corner to take away 1/3 of the field (i.e. Seattle's Cover-3 and Cover-3 Buzz); it allows the back 7 to focus on 33% less area.

If you want to know what's valued in today's NFL, just follow the money--there's a reason that coaches can't get enough solid CB play, and there's also a reason that the team boasting the NFL's best CB tandem just so happened to be the Super Bowl Champions.

Yea he's really gonna hurt that redskins defense

Improving is for suckers

we could pay peyton Manning $20mm and improve.

We could pay a lot of folks a lot of money that are better than what we have. But this isn't madden

Not sure I agree--the teams with one great-to-elite corner tend to always be near the top of the league.

Who were the best corners in football last year? Sherman, Norman, Peterson, Vonta Davis, Aquib Talib? Notice a trend?

Man coverage teams like to use their top corner to take out the opposing teams best target. It's a smart move, as you can focus the rest of your back 7 to shutting down 2 or 3 options in the passing game.

Zone coverage teams like to use their top corner to take away 1/3 of the field (i.e. Seattle's Cover-3 and Cover-3 Buzz); it allows the back 7 to focus on 33% less area.

If you want to know what's valued in today's NFL, just follow the money--there's a reason that coaches can't get enough solid CB play, and there's also a reason that the team boasting the NFL's best CB tandem just so happened to be the Super Bowl Champions.

Denver has two of the best Corners in football, Chris Harris and Aquib Talib, and they're both better than Josh Norman.