Kevin Hogan

Yep, and I don't want it to be Hogan. I just don't subscribe to the "let's draft a backup" philosophy. I prefer the "let's draft the best guy we can possibly get" philosophy. If they want a QB, I want them to select a 1st or at worst 2nd round prospect, or don't !@#$ing bother.

Your pretty close minded on this

Maybe we should just keep EJ Manuel?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, and I don't want it to be Hogan. I just don't subscribe to the "let's draft a backup" philosophy. I prefer the "let's draft the best guy we can possibly get" philosophy. If they want a QB, I want them to select a 1st or at worst 2nd round prospect, or don't !@#$ing bother.

so you are in the Cardale Jones bandwagon

Well, I guess I opened a can of worms here guys with my post this morning. I actually just made it back to the computer, and was like wow, that was interesting. I am in the camp of the earliest of a 4th compensatory pick or later. He seems like he could at least be a very good back up for us, and at best if the footwork made some serious improvement over 1-2 years could be a starter.

If you go with Cardale Jones, you have just different risks. Bottom line is if you don't draft high in the first round, you're usually not getting a starter. Wilson, Brady, and so on are serious anomalies.

There is nothing to compare Tebow to Hogan. That is silly. Anyway, I'd love him in the 5th. what we need is TT really progressing this year to our frnachise guy so having a great back up would be awesome. I'd love to have my next Frank Reich.

so you are in the Cardale Jones bandwagon

No, I'm on the Connor Cook Underground Railroad.

Your pretty close minded on this

Maybe we should just keep EJ Manuel?

How is that closed minded? It's a different philosophy to drafting a QB. I understand the variables, and have taken a reasonable position.

And although EJM isn't very good, I believe he is a better backup for this season (at least), than Hogan would be. This team needs to win now, and needs to draft potential starters, or at least good special teams players. I don't believe Hogan will add anything to this roster.

Edited by HoF Watkins

How is that closed minded? It's a different philosophy to drafting a QB. I understand the variables, and have taken a reasonable position.

And although EJM isn't very good, I believe he is a better backup for this season (at least), than Hogan would be. This team needs to win now, and needs to draft potential starters, or at least good special teams players. I don't believe Hogan will add anything to this roster.

We should also draft for the future. Because not doing so is what caused us to "need" to draft EJ.

I think it is a closed minded position that you cannot find a backup QB unless you take one early......

We are not looking for a starter...Whaley has made it plainly obvious that Tyrod Taylor is their starter.....we are looking for a backup QB.

And....as I have previously said....we are not looking to replace EJ Manuel this year either....we are looking for someone to give EJ Manuel competition but ultimately to groom for the following year.

I think it is a closed minded position that you cannot find a backup QB unless you take one early......

We are not looking for a starter...Whaley has made it plainly obvious that Tyrod Taylor is their starter.....we are looking for a backup QB.

And....as I have previously said....we are not looking to replace EJ Manuel this year either....we are looking for someone to give EJ Manuel competition but ultimately to groom for the following year.

Speaking for myself, I think you should only draft a qb if you think they could potentially become a starter one day. I don't think Hogan can be one, so I'm not a fan of drafting him.

There are a ton of backup Qbs every year. You shouldn't spend a draft pick on a backup qb.

Speaking for myself, I think you should only draft a qb if you think they could potentially become a starter one day. I don't think Hogan can be one, so I'm not a fan of drafting him.

There are a ton of backup Qbs every year. You shouldn't spend a draft pick on a backup qb.

Except that this one already knows the offense.

I don't agree. If you think someone has the potential to be a long term solid backup he is worth a late round pick.

I don't agree. If you think someone has the potential to be a long term solid backup he is worth a late round pick.

I disagree with all due respect. There are guys like Hoyer and Fitz still on the market. Backup Qbs are not hard to find. And as much as people want to act like EJ is the worst qb ever, he is a pretty typical backup qb.

Except that this one already knows the offense.

So does our current backup. If you draft a guy this year, get a guy who has starter potential and hasn't hit his ceiling in college.

I disagree with all due respect. There are guys like Hoyer and Fitz still on the market. Backup Qbs are not hard to find. And as much as people want to act like EJ is the worst qb ever, he is a pretty typical backup qb.

It is fine. I think you and HOF Watkins are entitled to take a different view. But the next set of Fitzpatricks and Hoyers come from somewhere don't they? One was an UDFA and the other was a late round pick. I don't believe St Louis or New England took them originally thinking "this guy might eventually be our starter."

Again, I am more than happy for them to take a Cook or a Jones earlier on instead. But at the very least I'd like them to come out of this draft with a guy who can compete for EJs spot year 1 and be the undisputed #2 in year 2. I think Hogan could do that.

So does our current backup. If you draft a guy this year, get a guy who has starter potential and hasn't hit his ceiling in college.

Our current backup has proven that he can't even manage a game. He is a liability.

I think Hogan is the best fit for the Bills offense outside the first rounders. He's the smartest QB coming out, good field vision, very good accuracy, decent arm, solid for 4 years. I liken him more to Rivers than Fitzpatrick. One thing is, of all the QBs in the PAC 12, he's the only one that consistently gave Oregon fits.

I'm not sold on the shiny toys that have a gun for an arm or run a 4.5 forty. I want a qb who can read a defense, has escapability and is accurate. I also think he doesn't make it out of the 3rd round.

Our current backup has proven that he can't even manage a game. He is a liability.

It is incredible to me that a lot of folks here are perfectly content not to draft a QB and go into next season with EJ as the back-up again.

For how much? A backup QB drafted mid rounds commands a very small contract while Ryan Fitzpatrick is still on the market because he wants to get paid?

I think Hogan is the best fit for the Bills offense outside the first rounders. He's the smartest QB coming out, good field vision, very good accuracy, decent arm, solid for 4 years. I liken him more to Rivers than Fitzpatrick. One thing is, of all the QBs in the PAC 12, he's the only one that consistently gave Oregon fits.

I'm not sold on the shiny toys that have a gun for an arm or run a 4.5 forty. I want a qb who can read a defense, has escapability and is accurate. I also think he doesn't make it out of the 3rd round.

Gonna be interesting to see where he goes

Me personally I dont touch him any sooner then our 4th round compensatory pick

You're so closed minded!

The problem is, you aren't an NFL Talent Evaluator!.....tell him Hemet John, tell him.

I never said "you can't find a BACKUP QB, unless you take one early"...I didn't say that at all. In fact, if you want to find a backup, you might as well draft them late.

I want them to approach it like they want to find a starter (in other words, use a high draft pick), and if he falls short, he can be a backup. I realize that EJM didn't pan out, but generally, I think that is the best way to find ANY QB (backup or starter).

I've had enough of laying out this simple concept for you, Johnny Hemet. Good Day, Sir.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The reason to spend a pick on a guy who you feel has "solid backup" as his floor, is the same as the reason Hoyer and Fitz are still on the market. Fitz, especially (but I imagine Hoyer too) want to be paid serious money - starting QB money. The point of drafting a backup QB is, he costs less than thoze guyz.

Overall, though, I agree with the philosophy that if you pull the trigger, you pull it on a guy who has "potential starter" as his ceiling and "solid backup" as his floor, not on a guy you look at and say "he'll never start in this league". Cuz that's the whole point of the backup QB, innit? He's one hard hit away from BEING your starter!

Something tells me that the Bills will draft him in the 3rd round this year. Whaley said that he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft and he fits the offensive system. I see him as a poor mans Andrew Luck and I have a real good feeling about Him. I like Tyrod, but I don't know if he has enough to get us to the promise land. I think Hogan will be special.

Sort of like the feelings we had for Trend Edwards...

Edwards was supposed to be accurate (He was accurate, but he was also Captain Checkdown), but could make the deep throws (He rarely did). ....

Only from what I've read, FWIW, as I haven't seen him play - he seems like a cerebral quarterback, comfortable in a complex Offense, and has started a number of games including important / big games. In addition, he's managed his father's long battle with cancer and ultimately his death while continuing his collegiate career, including the aspect of classes at a highly academic institution. So, while I know nothing of his arm strength or poise by watching him - and I'm not discounting that importance or how it bears on my opinion - but the aforementioned traits, seem to be what lends itself to a viable if not very good QB in the NFL. The NFL is littered with "strong armed" QBs who fail to grasp the complexities of the NFL, who cannot adequately read and process a Defense, and who don't truly manage personal life struggles or tragedies while carrying out their professional obligation. I would prefer a guy who has an NFL "good enough" arm but has all of the above-the-shoulders acumen we've been missing from the BILLS teams for many years. Tyrod may be great, and I have high hopes for him, but if we're taking a chance on a QB, it would seem Hogan in the 3rd or first 4th would be a solid choice.

If you have two quarterbacks you have none.

But if you have 3...

Bills need potentially two QBs after next season.

Bring at least one in this year and see if he can be coached up. Consider how much it would cost to pay Fitz or even Hoyer as the BU QB.

Is that a good investment? and these guys are past their ceilings both.

If Bills really wanted a starter they would pull a Rams or Philly move. and next years draft they may have to.

Always keep some wine fermenting to be sure you never run out.

I never said "you can't find a BACKUP QB, unless you take one early"...I didn't say that at all. In fact, if you want to find a backup, you might as well draft them late.

I want them to approach it like they want to find a starter (in other words, use a high draft pick), and if he falls short, he can be a backup. I realize that EJM didn't pan out, but generally, I think that is the best way to find ANY QB (backup or starter).

I've had enough of laying out this simple concept for you, Johnny Hemet. Good Day, Sir.

Its not a simple concept because you are talking out both sides of your ass

- "I never said you cant find a back up QB"

"I want them to approach it like they are trying to find a starter"

WE ONLY HAVE ONE FIRST ROUND PICK......we are NOT going to spend it on another EJ Manuel when we have a encumbant starter!

Something tells me that the Bills will draft him in the 3rd round this year. Whaley said that he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft and he fits the offensive system. I see him as a poor mans Andrew Luck and I have a real good feeling about Him. I like Tyrod, but I don't know if he has enough to get us to the promise land. I think Hogan will be special.

LMAO. "Most NFL ready" yet projected to be picked no sooner than the 5th round. No way in hell do the Bills draft him in the 3rd. A 3rd rounder looks like a Cardale Jones.

LMAO. "Most NFL ready" yet projected to be picked no sooner than the 5th round. No way in hell do the Bills draft him in the 3rd. A 3rd rounder looks like a Cardale Jones.

I honestly would not touch him till the 4th round

Another poster recently shared the link to Erik Turner's site and I think he makes a good argument for why Dak Prescott is actually a better fit than Hogan for the Bills' offense.

Link:http://www.cover1.net/2016/04/dak-prescott-qbmissst/

Prescott is a QB I would consider taking in the 3rd

Another poster recently shared the link to Erik Turner's site and I think he makes a good argument for why Dak Prescott is actually a better fit than Hogan for the Bills' offense.

I get this point but if you're a GM, you should just draft the qb who you believe is the best qb prospect. Drafting to fit an offense could get you in a lot of trouble. Greg Roman might not be here at this time next year.

Dak's a really intriguing guy. This time last year, I laughed him off as a H-Back in the NFL but he's really putting in the work to get better. Half of the problem with 'developmental' players is about if they have the drive to be better once they start getting paid. I think he's a similar kind of character to Tyrod, really tireless worker with a lot of self-belief.

I'd be hard pushed to take him before the 4th but he's probably the guy I want. The NFL seems hell-bent on making Trevone Boykin a receiver so Dakota will do.

I get this point but if you're a GM, you should just draft the qb who you believe is the best qb prospect. Drafting to fit an offense could get you in a lot of trouble. Greg Roman might not be here at this time next year.

Yeah. Just draft good football players and they'll adapt to whatever scheme you're in. That's paraphrasing Whaley from one of his recent interviews.

I made that point though, because so many people are saying Hogan already knows the offense and he's a perfect fit.