Kevin Hogan

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills need a project QB. Good place to be.Because Bills have a starting QB for next season.

Is it Hogan ? Is it Prescott ?

I was thinking C. Jones, who surely needs to sit and learn. Draft another next year depending.

When you guys start talking projects, i do not have the wherewithal to have a solid opinion.

I know two things, Bills need to draft a project and they better not draft one before the 3rd unless they are adding picks.

I don't ever see him being a NFL starter except for an injury to a starter. Fitz has been forced to carry NFL teams for stretches, which he struggles to do consistently.

Hogan was not asked to carry his college team. I guess we'll see because you never know with Qbs. But I just don't see it.

He was not a game-manager at Stanford. And please remind me of all the first round picks Stanford has produced the last three years. They have good talent, but nothing close to the Tebow-era Gators. I'm not saying Hogan is the second coming of Andrew Luck, but he can be a very solid pro who plays in the league for ten years or more--Fitz or maybe a little better.

He was not a game-manager at Stanford. And please remind me of all the first round picks Stanford has produced the last three years. They have good talent, but nothing close to the Tebow-era Gators. I'm not saying Hogan is the second coming of Andrew Luck, but he can be a very solid pro who plays in the league for ten years or more--Fitz or maybe a little better.

They have had 15 players drafted since Luck left, not including this year. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=school&abbr=S&collegeName=Stanford&abbrFlag=0

Their best player will be a high pick next year. I could be wrong but I never once watched Hogan and thought he would be a NFL starter. Not once. I thought he is a really solid college qb who plays for a great coach, in a great system, with some good players around him.

We will see but I think this is the time of year when people talk themselves into Qbs. 90% of the guys drafted this week will be completely forgotten about in 2 years. We'll see what group Hogan falls into.

In my best Colonel Klink voice: "I want Hogan."

Hogan is a smart guy whom the Bills can develop with our own QB whisperer. Plus, he already is familiar with Roman's offense. We presumably can draft him in the middle rounds after we plug some holes in the first few rounds.

If you told me I could have Fitz as my backup QB I would run naked down the street

WEAKNESSES

Mechanics and footwork are a mess. Throws with a very wide base, a pitcher's stride and a protracted delivery.

So he's not draftable, I guess.

Edited by Beerball

I don't see any similarities at all between Hogan and Tebow.

Biggest point about that was the mechanics are not easy to fix. You take the guy on what he was because mechanics can regress to old habits when under pressure.

Kevin Hogan is a smart guy, I get that. I respect the fact that he's done as much as he has with such little talent. It's a testament to his preparation, coaches rave about how diligent he is in the film room. He just flat out can't throw a football accurately. He's a dagger through the heart in the red zone, his placement is so inconsistent that it's infuriating.

If Yolo sees this, he'll get what I mean. I look at Kevin Hogan the same way I looked at Kenny Guiton. Great guy, brings leadership, incredible teammate but you wouldn't want him taking the field for your football team.

He certainly divides opinion. But I am not talking myself into Hogan. I am going off what I see on the film. If you are drafting Hogan as a developmental QB it is a waste of a pick. If you are drafting him because you think he could be a solid backup for you then he is a good pick. In the 5th or with either of our 6ths I would be happy with the pick. Our supplemental 4th is the absolute highest I would draft him.

Biggest point about that was the mechanics are not easy to fix. You take the guy on what he was because mechanics can regress to old habits when under pressure.

Kevin Hogan is a smart guy, I get that. I respect the fact that he's done as much as he has with such little talent. It's a testament to his preparation, coaches rave about how diligent he is in the film room. He just flat out can't throw a football accurately. He's a dagger through the heart in the red zone, his placement is so inconsistent that it's infuriating.

If Yolo sees this, he'll get what I mean. I look at Kevin Hogan the same way I looked at Kenny Guiton. Great guy, brings leadership, incredible teammate but you wouldn't want him taking the field for your football team.

Wow, you talk about him as if he can't hit the broad side of a barn. He has a career completion rate of 66% and a ypa of 8.5.

I think the mechanics point is fair but us overblown. There are plenty of Quarterbacks who have had a level of success in the NFL with funky mechanics. Fitz is one for a start.

Anyone labelling Hogan the future of a franchise is clearly mad. Suggesting he could be an upper tier back up in the NFL is perfectly reasonable.

He is a much better thrower than Tim Tebow even allowing for the mechanics.

Wow, you talk about him as if he can't hit the broad side of a barn. He has a career completion rate of 66% and a ypa of 8.5.

When you throw short passes a lot, your completion percentage tends to go up. If you want to box score scout, he's almost identical to EJ Manuel in those areas. I think we'd both admit EJ is not an accurate quarterback.

If you think he's a good quarterback, that's fine. I really don't want to waste more of my time arguing about this guy. You're wrong but you're entitled to be.

WEAKNESSES

Mechanics and footwork are a mess. Throws with a very wide base, a pitcher's stride and a protracted delivery. Ball rarely comes out of his hands cleanly. Plays flat­-footed in the pocket with little bounce as he scans field and does a poor job of re­setting and coming to balance before delivery. Below-average arm strength and struggles to consistently make accurate, catchable throws to the field side. Average at reading defenses, preventing him from getting ball out on time. Needs much more poise and pocket awareness. Had issues climbing and sliding to clean areas of the pocket when they were there. Drops eyes and immediately panics when pressure is mounting in his face. Took sacks he had no business taking. Lacking desired touch and accuracy on his deep throws.

When you quote a source please include a link. Then, only a sentence or 4. Please feel free to repost.

The Bills will at some point (hopefully) during the 2016 draft select a QB. He'll have some warts, hell the first 2 picks in the entire draft have warts, but they have to make the pick.

Yep, and I don't want it to be Hogan. I just don't subscribe to the "let's draft a backup" philosophy. I prefer the "let's draft the best guy we can possibly get" philosophy. If they want a QB, I want them to select a 1st or at worst 2nd round prospect, or don't !@#$ing bother.

Edited by HoF Watkins