Kevin Hogan

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather have AJ McCarron than Hogan, Hackenberg, Prescott, or Cook. If Cincy comes calling for #19 then see if they are willing to make the trade.

I suspect you haven't watched Hogan very much. Living in Los Angeles, I've seen him a ton of times. I don't regard him as a franchise QB but he's head and shoulders better than Hackenberg, Cook and McCarron. It's not even close. I haven't seen enough of Prescott to give an opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked the article by Dunne on Kevin Hogan. He makes good points on Hogan being pro ready, running Roman's offense, knows he'll sit for a year, is working on his footwork, and so on.

I just worry a guy like Cardale Jones will be like EJ Manuel, and never get it with accuracy and timing. Hogan could have also a year to put 20 lbs. of muscle to get to 235 lbs. He has the height and hand size.

I really liked the article by Dunne on Kevin Hogan. He makes good points on Hogan being pro ready, running Roman's offense, knows he'll sit for a year, is working on his footwork, and so on.

I just worry a guy like Cardale Jones will be like EJ Manuel, and never get it with accuracy and timing. Hogan could have also a year to put 20 lbs. of muscle to get to 235 lbs. He has the height and hand size.

Yeah, good piece. He seems like a sensible pick in rd 3 -- provided he's there.

Hogan might have the highest floor of any QB in this draft. The question is his ceiling. I would be happy if the Bills end up with Jones, Hogan or Prescott, in that order. I also see them coming off the board in that order, with Jones going as high as round 2. I originally thought Hogan was a late day 3 guy, but I now expect someone to take him in the third round. He does seem like a great fit for the Bills.

I've been saying repeatedly that I hope the Bills actually grab 2 QBs in this draft, one that may be developmental but has tons of upside (say, Cardale Jones) -- and one that has a high floor but possibly limited upside like Hogan. In Hogan I see a guy that is probably going to be a career backup -- but who you can trust and rely on to know his playbook and execute an offense. He's the type of guy who can likely fill that #2 role from day one. In essence, Hogan would be EJ's replacement (recall EJ is a free agent after this year). The developmental QB would be a guy you groom and work with for a couple of years as the #3 -- if he shows no progress then you drop him and find another one.

Edited by 2003Contenders

It's like I'm in the twilight zone. Kevin Hogan fails the most basic premises of being a quarterback.

That must be why he was a four-year starter at one of the top programs in the country under one of the best coaches in the country, where he did nothing but win and complete a ridiculous percentage of his passes in a pro-style offense. He can also run, and he never was injured. Oh, I forgot--he's got kind of a funny throwing motion. Edited by mannc

That must be why he was a four-year starter at one of the top programs in the country under one of the best coaches in the country, where he did nothing but win and complete a ridiculous percentage of his passes in a pro-style offense. Oh, I forgot--he's got kind of a funny throwing motion.

Remember the last QB that had a weird throwing motion and had the 'all he does is win' fanfare behind him? Yeah, that worked out well.

Remember the last QB that had a weird throwing motion and had the 'all he does is win' fanfare behind him? Yeah, that worked out well.

If you think there are any parallels to be drawn between hogan and Timmy T then you have not seen many Stanford games in the past four years.

If you think there are any parallels to be drawn between hogan and Timmy T then you have not seen many Stanford games in the past four years.

Everything you mentioned was about Stanford as a team and not Kevin Hogan as a quarterback. I'd venture to say that I'm not the one that needs to watch more football.

Everything you mentioned was about Stanford as a team and not Kevin Hogan as a quarterback. I'd venture to say that I'm not the one that needs to watch more football.

Then you did not read what I wrote.

That must be why he was a four-year starter at one of the top programs in the country under one of the best coaches in the country, where he did nothing but win and complete a ridiculous percentage of his passes in a pro-style offense. He can also run, and he never was injured. Oh, I forgot--he's got kind of a funny throwing motion.

I hate bashing a guy who seems like a good dude and had a good career.

But he was Trent Dilfer. The "all he did is win" in college is one of the biggest jokes around. Tons of guys "win" in college.

Stanford is loaded. They are constantly turning out NFL players. I think you could plug any decent qb into their team and they would win. And that fact that he is playing for David Shaw is actually a knock against Higan because he might receive worse coaching on the NFL level.

I think he is a backup at absolute best. Possibly a 3rd stringer. He wasn't asked to carry Stanford. I respect him for what he did but watch how many screens he threw to McCafferny that became 50 yard gainers.

While there is value in having a backup qb, I hate the idea of spending a draft pick on one. I'd rather swing for the fences with Jones. The NFL is loaded with backup and 3rd string qbs. Jmo obviously.

I don't see any similarities at all between Hogan and Tebow.

They are different players but there are similarities. I think Hogan and Tebow got way too much credit for their team's success. Both teams are loaded with talent and NFL players.

Also, the throwing motion is a legit concern. Hogan did not have a big arm in No Cali. Imagine that arm in November or December (3 home games this year!).

That said, he is the best screen throwing qb in the draft.

I have watched a lot of Hogan. I am consistent in my opinion of him. I think he could be a Fitzpatrick or Hoyer level "worst starter but best backup" level QB.

I don't ever see him being a NFL starter except for an injury to a starter. Fitz has been forced to carry NFL teams for stretches, which he struggles to do consistently.

Hogan was not asked to carry his college team. I guess we'll see because you never know with Qbs. But I just don't see it.