NFL.com: Buffalo Bills All-time underrated, overrated player

truth on hold

Big Ted was great, but I'm not sure who underrated him. Not college scouts, he was a first round draft pick. Not opposing defensive coordinators. Not his peers, who voted him to 3 pro bowls as a Bill. Not the fans. I guess Bills management, who asked him to take pay cuts 2 years in a row. I'm glad he won a super bowl, he was a class act who did a lot for the community.

Overrated - Ruben Brown

Underrated - John Fina

I looked at Smerlas being "underrated" the same way you look at Big Ted. Maybe in a current perspective, he's underrated, but he wasn't when he played. Smerlas was a multiple Pro Bowler and was considered one of the best NT's in the league, at a time when most teams had switched to a 3-4 D. He had lots of competition among NT's in the league at the time, but was a consensus top 3 NT in the league.

2 underrated players in the Knox Era...

Shane Nelson - the 3rd and forgotten member of the Bermuda Triangle. He actually started as an OLB, and was the best front 7 player on a bad team. When he moved inside behind Smerlas, the D took off. But he never seemed to get the recognition of Haslett or Smerlas. He was to the Bermuda Triangle what Wedge was to Luke Skywalker and Lando.

Joe Devlin - probably the best Bill to never make the PB (I don't think he did). But Mark Gastineau, who went against him twice a year, voted for him every year. He defined an offensive lineman, strong, tough, unassuming.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underrated: Kenny Davis...he always stepped up big for the Bills O when Thurman was taking a breather or out and they never missed a beat.

Overrated: Hmm...I'll go with Eric Moulds. He was a good player but his prime didn't last that long and he only had one real dominant season. People talk about him like he was Jerry Rice or something but he wasn't anywhere near that level.

Underrated: Kenny Davis...he always stepped up big for the Bills O when Thurman was taking a breather or out and they never missed a beat.

Overrated: Hmm...I'll go with Eric Moulds. He was a good player but his prime didn't last that long and he only had one real dominant season. People talk about him like he was Jerry Rice or something but he wasn't anywhere near that level.

I agree with you about Moulds. He was very talented no doubt, but once he "arrived" in the NFL (with Flutie) he got into this annoying habit (annoying to me anyways) of playing to draw PI calls (which he rarely got) rather than making an honest attempt to catch the ball. Great athlete, with some lazy tendencies, by my estimation. Always whining to the refs....I think it really went to his head in 2002, with Bledsoe throwing the ball to him. True, Eric never had the consistency at QB that probably would have made his career even better...but amongst Bills fans, he seems like an untouchable. I think that is mostly among younger fans, who had precious little to cheer for over the last 15-20 years.

Underrated: some of the names being thrown about as being over/underrated are kind of silly...what Bills fan underrates Ted Washington? I will throw Joe Cribbs on the underrated list..he was a stud...all most Bills fans seem to remember of him is that he held out, and jumped to the USFL... Cribbs, along with Fergy and Jerry Butler, vaulted the Bills offense into the 20th century, after a decade of, primarily, OJ left, OJ right, OJ up the middle. If Cribbs hadn't jumped to the USFL, I think he would be remembered as one of the true greats of his era...he, along with Roger Craig, were early pre-cursers to the double threat running back...they could line up as receiver just as effectively as they could run the ball. Great player.

Another all-time underrated, is Travis Henry. A bonehead off the field, but a real warrior on the field.

George Saimes was far from underrated

We had some guys with very short stays who you'll never hear about because they had career ending injuries early on. One who comes to mind was Ben Gregory, a bruising rookie fullback who looked like a future Pro Bowler until he totally tore up his knee.

Ben Gregory was acquired in a trade with Denver for Cookie Gilchrist. Al Bemiller the center was asked at a charity event how good was Gregory compared to Gilchrist? His response was Gregrory wasn't good enough to wear Cookie's jock strap. Gregory was a superb receiver for a back and was a very effective on swing passes.

Under: kelso, cowart, and my surprise pick Bruce Smith... He is easily one of the greatest players to ever play the game. No other Bill save OJ belongs at their position in the conversation as GOAT like Bruce. I think people forget how much better he was than every DE in the NFL. But yet most don't even rate him the best bill ever.

Over: Flutie(and every other QB since Kelly up until last year for that matter) Conlan, Evans, metz, should Lenard smith be here too?

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Under rated:Jim Dunaway. Some legal problems of his own. Killed his wife.

George Saimes

Not actual part of the discussions but Tom Sestak is one of the best of the best.

Young people use google.

eh, you're going to be under-rated when you play on a DL that includes McDole & Sestak. And yes, he dunaway with his wife..

Saimes, on the other hand, was far from under-rated. Credited with the 'invention' of the Safety Blitz in Joe Collier's scheme, he was a regular AFL All-Star and a great player!

For me, I gotta give propers for my-Boy, Bobby Chandler. Led the team in receptions many years, caught EVERY pass ever thrown to him and had marvelous awareness of where he was on the field, tapping toes just inbounds seemingly every game. That the Bills were otherwise miserable through most of his days here, he never got League recognition -never made the Pro Bowl, despite leading the League in receptions one year. RIP, Bobby C.#81

Over-rated: Derrick Dockery (based on the unwarranted expectations and crazy FA contract Levy gave him)

Great call!

Overrated by fans:

CJ Spiller

EJ Manuel

Donte Whitner

Underrated by fans:

Aaron Schobel - He had all those sacks with really not so much help at rushing the passer, AND he had Jauron sending him into coverage. :bag: On another team he would have had much better numbers (which were even very good on the Bills).

Underrated: John Holecek

Holecek was very good but he was just too banged up on a consistent basis. He had a ton of talent but could not stay on the field.

He wasn't convicted, though, right? I wonder if we lead he league in murder charges?

He wasn't even indicted. The bottom half of the link goes into the wife situation.

The Tom Sestak and Jim Dunaway duo was formidable. At the time Sestak was the best of the best.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/33449-jim-dunaway-the-true-notorious-big

http://www.engagingnews.us/select/Jim+Dunaway.html

Edited by JohnC

Over: Talley

Under: Schobel, Cribbs

Underrated by management: Winfield, Pat Williams

Aaron Schobel is my most overrated. Took more plays off than Mario Williams, and was best known for insignificant sacks...Aaron Shoebel's greatest skill was padding his stats to make himself look good - I was happy to see him retire!!!

Talley Overratted.....Really????? Well anyone who would list Shoebel as underratted, why should I be surprised about Talley!!!!

Some great choices around the board for underrated: Cowert, Hansen, Byrd - I'd add Robert James. He was the best bump and run defender in the league. Today, he'd epitomize a shut down corner.

One that stood out as far as under rated is Butch Byrd. Not familiar with him, but this guy had some serious stats.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214805/article/buffalo-bills-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Per wikipedia still leads the team in picks, pick return yards, and pick 6's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Byrd

Byrd is under rated probably only because he played so long ago. But he had great instincts as a d-back. Superb ball hawking skills, quick, and with great anticipation.

Mine are maybe more from a league perspective.

Bledsoe over

Norwood under

Guess I should have read the article first

1 made FG away from being on the overrated list....

I think Steve Tasker is easily the most overrated Bill of all time. I chose him because so many consider him Hall of Fame worthy. An excellent Special Teams player, a good receiver too. Not a Hall of Famer.

It's easy for forget how unbelievable he was on ST's. He was always double teamed and somehow made the tackle. I guess you kind of forget with time, but that guy was an amazing special team player. HOF worthy is debatable, but one of the best ST'ers of all time for sure....

Edited by ricojes

If Smerlas were on a consistent winner he'd likely be a hall of famer. His pro bowl and all NFL awards came in his 2nd 3rd year usually takes a few years to get noticed for those types of things but he was that dominating. His level of play was still tremendous when the Bills as a team stunk and he went unnoticed by most. When the Bills rebounded at the end of his career here he STILL was playing well getting not only a pro bowl invite but was all conference in 1988 AND 1989.

I was suprised to see Tasker on someones over rated list- to me he's STILL underated unless you saw him play it's hard to explain how great he was. The downing of the football, the tackles usually first down there and never missing, the fumbles recoveries the punt blocks and he can return punts (4th in the league 1995 and kickoffs 2nd in league 1985) the 7 probowls, the 7 years all NFL.

overrated- Nate Clements, Josh Reed, Shane Conlan,

underated- John Holecek, Eric Moulds

Can't agree with Beebe. He didn't have the stats of the other receivers of his era because he was a complimentary piece. He played his role well and contributed when called upon.

Agreed. Beebe was a #3 WR and he was good at it. He is not overrated

Beebe was really not that great of a receiver. Fast but never very reliable. He had a couple of big moments, like the author states. Lofton contributed more but often is overlooked by many. Lofton was the perfect compliment to Reed.

Lofton is in the Hall of Fame. I highly doubt there are that many people that overlook him. Especially Bills fans.

Overrated: Darryl Talley. Good LB but not all that. Tough not to look good playing next to Bruce Smith. Could have used a tackle or two from the Bills "heart and soul" in the loss to the Giants in XXV- 0 tackles.

Underrated: Pat Williams. No one appreciated him until he was gone.

Overrated: Henry Jones, had a good 2nd season from an INT standpoint, largely because the other teams targeted him often as the weaker link of the secondary, and was past his prime relatively early.

Underrated: Jim Ritcher, took him 12 seasons before he got his first trip to Hawaii. He had to suffer through some horrible teams of the 80's to get to the bright side of the Super Bowl run.

If Smerlas were on a consistent winner he'd likely be a hall of famer. His pro bowl and all NFL awards came in his 2nd 3rd year usually takes a few years to get noticed for those types of things but he was that dominating. His level of play was still tremendous when the Bills as a team stunk and he went unnoticed by most. When the Bills rebounded at the end of his career here he STILL was playing well getting not only a pro bowl invite but was all conference in 1988 AND 1989.

I was suprised to see Tasker on someones over rated list- to me he's STILL underated unless you saw him play it's hard to explain how great he was. The downing of the football, the tackles usually first down there and never missing, the fumbles recoveries the punt blocks and he can return punts (4th in the league 1995 and kickoffs 2nd in league 1985) the 7 probowls, the 7 years all NFL.

overrated- Nate Clements, Josh Reed, Shane Conlan,

underated- John Holecek, Eric Moulds

Wasn't smerlas a little light to dominate as a 3-4 NT?

Underated- Tony Greene- my favorite Bills safety of all time

Runner-UP - Marlin Briscoe

Overrated- Kiko Alonzo

Underated- Tony Greene- my favorite Bills safety of all time

Runner-UP - Marlin Briscoe

Overrated- Kiko Alonzo

in case you think the Bills are not noticed now......

During his first season as the starting FS, Greene went on to intercept nine passes, helping lead a resurgent Bills defense that was a major reason the team returned to the playoffs for the first time since 1966. The Bills went 6-2 in games where Greene had an interception that season, which was a good indicator of how important his production was. He was named a First-Team All-Pro for the season, but miraculously didn't earn a Pro Bowl invite. Greene backed up his monster season in 1974 with six interceptions the following year and five in 1976. He finally earned a Pro Bowl selection in 1977 after he once again intercepted nine passes. The safety would go on to play two more solid seasons for the Bills before retiring. He finished with 37 career interceptions, which is still second on the Bills all-time list.

Under rated: George Saimes (Not under rated in the traditional sense but only because he was a great great player not just very good and is rarely, if ever, mentioned as such) Bobby Chandler, Steve Christie, Antoine Winfield

Over rated: many who were over drafted. Not so many over rated

Under rated: George Saimes (Not under rated in the traditional sense but only because he was a great great player not just very good and is rarely, if ever, mentioned as such) Bobby Chandler, Steve Christie, Antoine Winfield

Over rated: many who were over drafted. Not so many over rated

Where does this come from? George Saimes was considered an extremely talented and valuable player during his tenure with the Bills.

Overrated: Darryl Talley. Good LB but not all that. Tough not to look good playing next to Bruce Smith. Could have used a tackle or two from the Bills "heart and soul" in the loss to the Giants in XXV- 0 tackles.

Underrated: Pat Williams. No one appreciated him until he was gone.

I did. I was so pissed when Donahoe let him walk.

Where does this come from? George Saimes was considered an extremely talented and valuable player during his tenure with the Bills.

I don't think somebody who was voted onto the First Team All Time AFL: team could be considered underrated. That's as high an honor as somebody who played in AFL could ever get.

Speaking of overrated.

Don't you know the rules of Two Bills Drive. One can never speak negatively of Marv Levy. He was the greatest manager of egos --- right up until the four most important games in the franchise's history

Overrated: Jason Peters

CBF

Seriously? He is a borderline HOF candidate. If they had paid him he would be a sure ring of honor player. He would be on a very short list of undrafted HOF players.

The winner going away for most overrated Bill:

Walt Patulski was the first overall pick of the 1972 draft after being an All-American and Lombardi Trophy winning defensive end at Notre Dame. He played a few mediocre seasons with the Bills. Nobody missed him when he departed. We've had a lot of other first round draft picks who were busts (Mike Williams and J.P. Losman, for instance). But no one who went bust carried more expectations coming in than Patulski.

Nice to see some of the old timers getting mentioned around here. So easy to forget them when they played on poor teams.

Here's an underrated player that played on our best teams: John Davis. He should have been the fifth OLman from those teams to be a Pro Bowler.

GO BILLS!!!