Most Loathed Coaches All-Time

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't loathe anyone.

I certainly don't loathe coaches of other teams for winning and/or cheating. It's a waste of my time to think about them.

The coaches that bug me the most are the ones that caused me personal anguish:

Harvey Johnson 2-23

Jim Ringo 3-20

Hank Bullough 4-17

John Rauch 7-20

Kay Stephenson 10-26

Doug Marrone 15-17

Doug makes the list no so much for his losing record, but for being a jerk and quitter.

Yea I thought that too. How could anyone hate Tony Dungy? He's like the nicest guy in the NFL. That's like hating Marv Levy

Not a Dungy fan either...it has little to do with football, but more his stances on social issues. Epitomizes the hypocritical "good christian".

For me, the list is:

Jimmy Johnson

Edited by Buftex

BAHAHAH. Maybe he slept with the kid's mom? :ph34r:

again? Because of course he will. Not weird at all.

@bricemarich

AZ DE Connor Murphy will have an in-home visit tomorrow night with #Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh & he'll also sleep over

Edited by YoloinOhio

Jimmy Johnson. Remember when he went out before the SB and stated "We're going to kick their ass", and unfortunately he did.

Hate that guy.

I hated him more at Miami....oh how I hated the Canes in those days!

But you know, even with JJ, I find that years later I have a lot more respect for some guys than I used to. Just not Shula or Paterno, pretty sure I'll always hate them. :lol:

Who are the opposing coaches you loathe the most, either because of their personality, or how they dominated the Bills?

These are my top five.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Don Shula

3. Jimmy Johnson

4. Bill Parcells

5. Bill Cowher

Belichick is #1 by a mile, for so many reasons. There is a big drop off between every other one, except Shula and Johnson, whom I could have rated 2.a. and 2.b.

If this topic already exists, could someone please refer me to it? Thanks.

(If you could include other sports, I would have Tom Heinsohn in there.)

Where is MaRoon.

again? Because of course he will. Not weird at all.

@bricemarich

AZ DE Connor Murphy will have an in-home visit tomorrow night with #Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh & he'll also sleep over

Harbaugh is awesome wish he was our coach.

1. Jimmy Johnson

2. Bill Belichick

3. Pete Carroll

4. Jim Harbaugh

5. Gregg Williams

6. Doug Marrone

Have too much respect for guys like Landry, Parcells, and Shula to hate them, even though I hated their teams.

1. Belichick - he would be in the HOF as a DC but a two time loser as HC if not for Brady. I can respect him and hate him. But you can not adequately evaluate him without adding that Brady is the best of all time.

2. Dungy - I can't stand this guy. Don't care for his religious piety. He was awful in the playoffs.

3. Levy - Yeah he is on the list. He was a good coach but with a better coach the Bills win three SuperBowls with that talent. He does not belong in the HOF. Wall fo Fame ok. HOF no way.

4. Jauron - I really can't stand play to lose coaches. He was so gutless. He got his players to overachieve but let them down at the most crucial moments

5. Ditka - it was Buddy Ryan not Ditka that won that SuperBowl. And in one the most classless moves of all time, he lets Perry score a TD and not Walter Payton.

As you can tell, I base my choices mostly on overhyped coaches that failed to perform on the biggest stage.

1. Belichick - he would be in the HOF as a DC but a two time loser as HC if not for Brady. I can respect him and hate him. But you can not adequately evaluate him without adding that Brady is the best of all time.

2. Dungy - I can't stand this guy. Don't care for his religious piety. He was awful in the playoffs.

3. Levy - Yeah he is on the list. He was a good coach but with a better coach the Bills win three SuperBowls with that talent. He does not belong in the HOF. Wall fo Fame ok. HOF no way.

4. Jauron - I really can't stand play to lose coaches. He was so gutless. He got his players to overachieve but let them down at the most crucial moments

5. Ditka - it was Buddy Ryan not Ditka that won that SuperBowl. And in one the most classless moves of all time, he lets Perry score a TD and not Walter Payton.

As you can tell, I base my choices mostly on overhyped coaches that failed to perform on the biggest stage.

Uh-oh, do I have to pull out my Marv speech again? First of all, that statement is completely false...but how can any Bills fan have Marv on a most hated coaches of all time list????

It makes no sense whatsoever!

Uh-oh, do I have to pull out my Marv speech again? First of all, that statement is completely false...but how can any Bills fan have Marv on a most hated coaches of all time list????

It makes no sense whatsoever!

Because he cost us a SuperBowl win. If Parcells was the coach, Kelly would have handed off 45 times and would have won the SuperBowl with 8 pass attempts. He didn't control his team before the game nor during the game.

I will admit loathe/hate is maybe not the right word but he let us all down.

Because he cost us a SuperBowl win. If Parcells was the coach, Kelly would have handed off 45 times and would have won the SuperBowl with 8 pass attempts. He didn't control his team before the game nor during the game.

Can't stand Cowher - again another that lost more big games than he won and seemed to get more credit than he deserved basically for sticking his chin out and hugging his linebackers.

Marv may not have been a Bill Walsh or Belichick when it came to Xs and Os, but he sure had a lot of other HOF worthy characteristics. There were a lot of egos on that team and Marv brought

them all together, he LED those men, getting them to fight for each other, and to be resilient. His focus on special teams allowed Steve Tasker and Mark Pike to become names and win us some games

with the kicking teams. Many other coaches at that time didn't pay as much attention to special teams. He and Marchibroda came up with and/or endorsed the K-gun offense.

Yes, it was a talented team, but it had its flaws too. One that became all too apparent in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Superbowls, was that our defensive front was undersized in comparison to the behemoths

on the offensive lines of both Washington and Dallas. Jeff Wright was our nose tackle, for Christ's sake. No offense to Jeff, he just wasn't huge and an All-Pro.

The year of the first Superbowl, in Week 15, the Bills beat the Giants in Giants Stadium 17-13. Then lost by 1 point to them in the Superbowl that was decided by a last second field goal that missed by about

two feet. And that was against the combined genius of both Parcells and Belichick. Obviously, those two teams were so evenly matched, like a yin and yang. I don't think you can say he was totally outcoached.

I also don't think that the partying affected things much. Just look at the game in week 15 (similar, low-scoring, grind it out game) and look at teams like the '85 Bears, who partied and still won. And you can't fault him for going in to the game with the plan that got them there. They just beat the Dolphins 44-34 and the Raiders 51-3 in the two previous playoff games (and the Giants back in week 15).

Now, yes, the other 3 Superbowls were ugly...Washington just had some kind of miracle year and then Dallas was probably the better team in the last two bowls (talent-wise). So, I do not think that you can surmise,

without a doubt, that another coach would have won 3 Superbowls with that team. I know one thing at least, no other coach would have got them to four in a row (win or lose), that was all Marv. With a different

coach, maybe the bickering Bills never gel and come together, maybe another coach doesn't install an offense that suits the players or one that let's Jim run the show on the field. Another coach might not have

gotten along with Polian or Ralph. The comeback game may have never happened if it wasn't for Marv's belief and the resiliency that he taught his team, etc. 5 AFC East titles and 5 AFC Championship game appearances

in 6 years, 4 consecutive Super Bowls, an 80-32 record over that 6 year period (a 73% win pct.)---so he wasn't getting out coached that much.

There are just way too many Ifs and way too many of Marv's attributes that you are overlooking to be able to say that another coach would have even gone to one Superbowl with that team, or have led them to four,

let alone as you said, win at least 3 Superbowls with that team. First of all, there are only 4 coaches in the history of the league that have won 3 Superbowls (and none were able to do 3 consecutively) and there have been plenty of teams with as much talent as that Bills team. And only one other coach (Don Shula) ever got his team to three SBs in a row (he went 2-1). So, maybe one of those 5 other Hall of Fame, Greatest of All Time

Coaches could have won a Superbowl with this team (and maybe not), but when you say, "a better coach would have won 3 Superbowls with that team," you make it sound like Marv sucked and tons of coaches could have done better with that team and I think that assessment is way off base. Marv is clearly and deservedly a Hall of Fame coach.

Some more food for thought, Bud Grant (0-4), Don Shula (2-4), and Dan Reeves (0-4) all lost 4 Superbowls; Tom Landry (2-3) lost 3 Superbowls; even Holmgren (1-2) and the great Belichik (4-2) have lost two Superbowls each. Do those coaches suck and not deserve the HOF? Would those teams have won them all with different coaches?

Like it or not, Marv was the right coach at the right time for that Bills team and I wouldn't have traded him for any other coach over those years!

Go Bills!

>>You hate Tony Dungy??<<

Wasn't it Dungy who had his OL goons go after Sam Cowart and ending his season after he was on the path for a career day during a game against Tampa? Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Paterno

2) Jimmy Johnson

3) Jauron

4) Rex

Hate is the wrong word.

#1 & #2 I have issues with as people.

#3 & #4 are just flat out awful coaches.

I don't know that Rex is a flat out awful football coach. I think he might be an awful Head Coach. The next 12 months will tell us a lot.

I absolutely cannot stand Tony Dungy. I find him to be a sanctimonious jerk.

This Deadspin article does a pretty good job of explaining how I feel about the guy: http://deadspin.com/5634307/tony-dungy-is-an-insufferable-****

Don't forget about his homophobic tendencies either. I like the phrase in the article about being the moral compass of the NFL- or acts like he is.

Don't forget about his homophobic tendencies either. I like the phrase in the article about being the moral compass of the NFL- or acts like he is.

The only thing I would argue with is your use of the word "tendencies." He is flat out homophobic and awful -- no qualifications needed. I only left that out because I wanted to focus on his overall act as an annoying. moralizing scold.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

Levy?

A lesser coach - and most NFL coaches aren't his equal - would have never gotten this team to the Super Bowl once, let alone 4 consecutive times.

And all those HOF players? Some of them would have never earned a HOF bust without Levy's leadership.

Think of the great players we've had since Levy - Eric Moulds, Aaron Shobel, Takeo Spikes, Fred Jackson, etc. - who might have had a shot at the HOF if they had the privilege of playing for Marv.

Fortunately the experts on the HOF Selection Committee don't think like you.

Edited by hondo in seattle

love this topic.

my list:

belichick

gruden
parcells
herm edwards
buddy ryan
mike shanahan
marrone
nick saban
paterno
belichick is an a$$. he makes millions but has disdain for the media and fans and news cycle that creates this billion dollar industry that he benefits from. rex isn't as good a coach but at least he gets this and has fun with it. belicheck has an arrogance and superiority that i despise, he is my least favorite personality in the nfl.
i don't really dislike rex. he is a big joke and a mediocre coach, but not a villian.