Tyrod Taylor had a quietly spectacular day

PromoTheRobot

Just rewatched the game and I think it's really sad that this fan base gets so distracted by a meaningless game that they miss some of the spectacular plays Tyrod Taylor made in this game. Two throws in the final drive before the half. (The one that ended with the INT.) and the scramble deep in our end on the final TD drive are just 3 examples.

And speaking of the INT, John from Hemet was 100% correct: it was Hogan's fault. That play was identical to the TD throw to Woods where he came back to the ball. That's a timing throw Tyrod makes right when Hogan was supposed to cut back for the ball. He got himself out of position by letting the defender get behind him. Really I only saw one poor throw all game: the short pass in the flat behind Gragg in the 3Q.

Some here will disagree but I don't care. IMO Taylor is our franchise guy now.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just rewatched the game and I think it's really sad that this fan base gets so distracted by a meaningless game that they miss some of the spectacular plays Tyrod Taylor made in this game. Two throws in the final drive before the half. (The one that ended with the INT.) and the scramble deep in our end on the final TD drive are just 3 examples.

And speaking of the INT, John from Hemet was 100% correct: it was Hogan's fault. That play was identical to the TD throw to Woods where he came back to the ball. That's a timing throw Tyrod makes right when Hogan was supposed to cut back for the ball. He got himself out of position by letting the defender get behind him. Really I only saw one poor throw all game: the short pass in the flat behind Gragg in the 3Q.

I don't disagree that he's made some good plays, but I want to see his ability to find the open guy and throw over the middle of the field improve before I annoint him

I don't disagree that he's made some good plays, but I want to see his ability to find the open guy and throw over the middle of the field improve before I annoint him

He can't throw over the middle if his receivers aren't there. That's Roman's playcalling, as is running on 2/3 of the plays.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I am fine with Taylor being the guy... but my concerns are as follows:

Durability. His legs are a huge asset but man I was very nervous with some of the shots he was taking in a meaningless game this afternoon. This has been a consistent concern over the course of the season. He's got to learn when it's smarter to slide or throw the ball away rather than putting his body at risk.

Third down decision making. I don't know if this is Roman or Taylor, but in most of the games he's played in, there have been some stupid decisions made on third down. It's been a combination of bad play calling, poor decisions on who to throw the ball to, and the like. It's late on a Sunday night but with a few games fresh in my mind I could point to a few situations where I was scratching my head.

Locking onto receivers. This is somewhat related to #1 but I'm still seeing him lock onto his first choice of receiver on a play, and just bolt with his legs if that one player isn't open. In the middle of the season, this was often happening where Sammy wasn't the #1 read, and he'd get himself open but Taylor wouldn't notice. He's gotten the ball to Watkins more, which is good, but on the replays today where they were showing his eyes and he would end up running the ball... he wasn't scanning the entire field. This worries me a little bit.

Outside of the interception, he was pretty good today. No complaints here.

The INT was pretty bad though, we should have had a TD on that drive, also clock management was an issue. Leaving ourselves with just one play from there was a bit of a mistake imo

Guess this means we've officially moved on from EJM. :lol:

I can't imagine Roman has called 38 designed QB runs in the past 4 weeks for TT. Today alone Tyrod ran 14 times (!) for 67 yards.

Sure, some of that is the poor pass protection given he was sacked 3 times. But I've got to believe some of the runs were the result of not seeing the field and making throws when they were there.

One-read QBs who tuck it and run don't last long in the NFL.

an d

I thought he had an efficient day. It really drives me crazy when he makes the PERFECT throw only to have a receiver drop it like Hogan did today.

One of my fatal flaws as a fan is the more I seen posters critiq and go after a player I can plainly see is doing their job......the harder I protest and defend that player........I try very hard to maintain my objectivity and the line gets a little blurred some times.

What I would like to see Tyrod work on going into next season.

- I would like to see him run a little less and throw a little more......when people B word about Tyrods lack of passing yards they dont mention the fact that his is running on some of those plays instead of throwing......all those QBs that you see throwing for 300 yard games......how many yards running do they have? I guarantee you it isnt as much as Tyrod except for a select few QBs like Cam and Russell. I would like to see Tyrod scramble but biuld that comfort level to make that throw to a receiver breaking open (he did it today...it was beautiful) and NOT take the unnecessary hit.

- Tyrod's ability to throw from the pocket got much better as the season went on.....now the bills need a RT who doesnt get beat off the snap like we have now.....we need a starting caliber RT.

- We need players that fit Tyrod's strengths.......mainly a deep threat guy with size to man the number 2 WR position. Hogan is unreliable.....he drops balls at the worst possible times.

And of course....a D that could give him good field position and create turnovers would be a help

Outside of the interception, he was pretty good today. No complaints here.

The INT was pretty bad though, we should have had a TD on that drive, also clock management was an issue. Leaving ourselves with just one play from there was a bit of a mistake imo

I'm pretty sure the INT was a "come-back-to-the-ball" play ala Woods vs Texans. Except Hogan let defender behind him.

There are plenty of positions on this team that need MUCH more improvement than the QB.

... and that is why I, along with many others, are so pissed at Rex for squandering defensive talent. LB and DL are now huge needs for us because we need players that fit into Rex's system. Meanwhile, our OL needs a ton of work to prevent Taylor from getting killed, and at the very least, we need a decent backup QB because Taylor is going to take a beating given his style of play.

Somewhat OT, but Whaley offering that contract to Shady is going to prevent us from getting some of the above in FA. Shady has been good but just look at what Williams and Gillislee are doing...

We are now looking at 2017 as being the earliest we have a chance to make the playoffs... and the defense is the primary reason why.

... and that is why I, along with many others, are so pissed at Rex for squandering defensive talent. LB and DL are now huge needs for us because we need players that fit into Rex's system. Meanwhile, our OL needs a ton of work to prevent Taylor from getting killed, and at the very least, we need a decent backup QB because Taylor is going to take a beating given his style of play.

The OL doesnt really need a ton of work.....certain players will need to be retained and we need a RT.......a veteran RT is going to be available.

Somewhat OT, but Whaley offering that contract to Shady is going to prevent us from getting some of the above in FA. Shady has been good but just look at what Williams and Gillislee are doing...

Not really because other players are going to be reworked......some players will be released.......there is going to be money available.

We are now looking at 2017 as being the earliest we have a chance to make the playoffs... and the defense is the primary reason why.

I dont see why this is true......the D does not need a complete overall....just a few changed pieces

I can't imagine Roman has called 38 designed QB runs in the past 4 weeks for TT. Today alone Tyrod ran 14 times (!) for 67 yards.

Sure, some of that is the poor pass protection given he was sacked 3 times. But I've got to believe some of the runs were the result of not seeing the field and making throws when they were there.

I would agree. I think when the A22 comes out you will see a lot of passing plays left on the table where Taylor went into scrambling mode too early. Some of his runs are amazing, but other QB's in similar situations could accomplish the same thing by throwing a "boring" 10yd slant from the pocket.

And if that's what passes for spectacular play, I think the bar has sunk to a new low. Aside from Sean Lee, that Dallas D has pretty much checked-out for the season, and we racked up a whopping total of 9 points for the first 57 minutes. If Gillislee doesn't pop that 50yd TD at the end, who knows what would have happened.

Let me see him throw the ball over 30 times and win a game. Sometimes you need the QB to carry you to victory, and I need to see him consistently show he can do that when called upon. Limiting your QB to 20 throws a game as part of your game plan Is not indicative of a franchise QB, imho.

... and that is why I, along with many others, are so pissed at Rex for squandering defensive talent.

I don't think I agree with this. If the chips fell right this year we have the Jets record and I think we're better than them. Playoffs 2016. I'm gonna say It before Rex does so it has some legitimacy to it!

He can't throw over the middle if his receivers aren't there. That's Roman's playcalling, as is running on 2/3 of the plays.

I usually watch the condensed version of the game, all-22, and then select plays from condensed version in slow motion. I have not yet had the opportunity for the Dallas game, but in every game I have seen, there are throws over the middle that Tyrod doesn't take. For every high-risk or low percentage throw downfield, there is often a safer throw not seen, or not chosen.

Bills employee and mouthpiece Chris Brown acknowledged during a Coach Sal interview that Tyrod can not see the middle of the field unless he has throwing lanes.

A significant number of the run plays are TT runs. I doubt those are all designed runs by Roman.

I'm not sure TT is exactly a one read QB, and to his credit he, like Wilson, appears to scramble mostly to extend plays and look for an open guy downfield.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure when I watch the film there will be plays were TT runs and I see one or more open guys that he doesn't see. If you're a 6'1" QB and you've got a wall of 6'4" to 6'7" OL and DL in front of you with any designed lanes broken down, kind of hard to see too much.

I think Taylor has earned the right to come in next season as the starter. But I don't think he's done enough for the Bills to ignore improving the position, i.e drafting someone in rounds 1-3. They cannot assume Taylor will continue to progress or maintain his current level of play. They need to bring in a veteran backup and draft a developmental QB, similar to what the Broncos did with Brock Osweiler.

The throw he made to Watkins ROLLING left but thowing right was absolute $. Then there was a penalty for Sammy for delay of game which was insanely BS.

He should roll out on every obvious throwing down - left or right he throws on the run as accurately as from the pocket - evidence that rope to Sammy. many more options when he's already moving - and the D does not know what side he's running to.

Moving the pocket is THE best way of using his running ability - a real weapon - and keeping him healthy. The pocket is not as safe as people think.

in that light:

QB's with Higher QBR and more starts than TT:

Brady

Wilson

Daltom

Palmer

QB's with more starts and a lower QB rating:

Cousins

Newton

Brees

Eli

Rodgers

Rivers

Stafford

Cutler

Fitz

Bridgewater

Bortles

Tannehill

Ryan

Winston

Bradford

QB's with less starts than TT:

Roethlisburger

Manning

Cassel

Luck

Keapernick

Hoyer

Mccown

Osweiler

Flacco

Gabbert

Marriota

Foles

After 15 weeks - two missed starts - I'll say the starting QB position - runner or not - is the least of the GM's worries.

All said, draft one in 2 or 3rd and let him learn behind TT.

Dude is $.

Edited by moshermw

The INT was on TT mostly. People are right that it is the same route that the TD to Woods a few weeks ago came on and the route requires the receiver to take the defender up the field faking the fade and then to cut back underneath.

The timing was off. Because they had mismanaged the clock and TT was thinking "gotta leave time for the field goal if we don't make it" he threw it early before Hogan had had chance to set the DB up. The only way Hogan could have caught that was to dive inside the DB at the line but thar wasn't the route. It was the Woods route - the QB didn't let the play develop because they had mismanaged the play clock.

I have only one complaint about Tyrod's play.

On 3rd down and short STOP THROWING DEEP!

Move the chains instead! It's maddening!

That seems easily fixed though: stop doing it. So I am overall pleased with his play.

He can't or refuses to make the easy play. We had captain check down with Trent. Now we have captain long ball with Tyrod.

And Hogan is terrible. It's maddening. Tyrod would have had a better day if we had a real Wr out there.

yep. QB is in the house. I like the team. add talent in the draft and sign our top players, and go from there. unless the injury bug raises up and kills the roster , they should be very good next year.

Let me see him throw the ball over 30 times and win a game. Sometimes you need the QB to carry you to victory, and I need to see him consistently show he can do that when called upon. Limiting your QB to 20 throws a game as part of your game plan Is not indicative of a franchise QB, imho.

When your team runs for 250 it isnt necessary to throw 30 times a game.

i have been to the last two games, and usually watch the patterns develop on passing plays. But last two weeks i just 100% focused on TT. His head never moves from the side of the field on his primary read. If his head moves at all back to the center of field or other side...100% of the times he took off running..

I like TT, but i think like others that have posted here a 1 read QB will not get it done in this league. Is he better than the dreck we have had here last 10 years...no doubt. His he a guy that can make a deep playoff run? i have serious doubts on that.

I agree with you but at the same time suspect Roman has given him the green light to use his legs more as he sees fit. I think most of the season they've tried to coach/force TT to be a pocket passer until the last few weeks.

Tyrod Taylor needs to prove that he understands the down, distance, clock, and situation on every single play, in order to prove that he is a franchise QB. Right now, I'm not convinced. His mental clock is off. He chucks up low-percentage fade passes on critical third and fourth and shorts. He lazily operates the two minute offense. Some of this may be on Roman but frankly, Taylor needs to start taking it on himself.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Who knows if he is a "franchise" quarterback.

However, he's clearly shown enough that he should be the starter going into next season, and deserves an extension.

There are plenty of positions on this team that need MUCH more improvement than the QB.

I was at the game yesterday as I am sure many of you were. It is nice to be able to home in on Taylor and see how he has really progressed. He has made huge strides this season. He is a leader, very focused and can make all the throws. The interception was absolutely Hogans fault. TT needs to improve on the 2 minute offense. I dont know if the staff doesnt let him call the time outs and call plays himself so I cant pin it all on him but regardless that area must be cleaned up.

16 whole points. Doesn't sound spectacular to me. Sounds like a loss vs anyone not named Kellen Moore.

23 if Hogan doesnt screw up. Im not happy about the overall team performance either but TT has had a solid season. The sample size is large enough now to make the conclusion that we are settled at QB next year. And yes- Kellen Moore stinks any decent QB yesterday would of carved our D up. He missed many throws all over the field.

Edited by billsfan_34

I'm 50/50 on Tyrod. Not sold either way yet.

Maybe another wideout and RT will help his cause

Definitely another WR and RT. Miller is average at best but I have to remind myself hes a rookie. Lets hope on the left side Incognito returns. If not that may change the entire make up of our draft.

I'm pretty sure the INT was a "come-back-to-the-ball" play ala Woods vs Texans. Except Hogan let defender behind him.

If it was, then t was a terrible decision because Hogan was in front of him, the only person going to catch that under thrown ball was the defender trailing the receiver.

Other than that, he had a terrific day.

But he has one big problem to work on: 1) Figure out how to throw over the middle. And despite your theory Promo, I think it is more he can't, so we don;t send guys across there.

I am fine with Taylor being the guy... but my concerns are as follows:

Durability. His legs are a huge asset but man I was very nervous with some of the shots he was taking in a meaningless game this afternoon. This has been a consistent concern over the course of the season. He's got to learn when it's smarter to slide or throw the ball away rather than putting his body at risk.

Third down decision making. I don't know if this is Roman or Taylor, but in most of the games he's played in, there have been some stupid decisions made on third down. It's been a combination of bad play calling, poor decisions on who to throw the ball to, and the like. It's late on a Sunday night but with a few games fresh in my mind I could point to a few situations where I was scratching my head.

Locking onto receivers. This is somewhat related to #1 but I'm still seeing him lock onto his first choice of receiver on a play, and just bolt with his legs if that one player isn't open. In the middle of the season, this was often happening where Sammy wasn't the #1 read, and he'd get himself open but Taylor wouldn't notice. He's gotten the ball to Watkins more, which is good, but on the replays today where they were showing his eyes and he would end up running the ball... he wasn't scanning the entire field. This worries me a little bit.

Agree +1

Tyrod Taylor needs to prove that he understands the down, distance, clock, and situation on every single play, in order to prove that he is a franchise QB. Right now, I'm not convinced. His mental clock is off. He chucks up low-percentage fade passes on critical third and fourth and shorts. He lazily operates the two minute offense. Some of this may be on Roman but frankly, Taylor needs to start taking it on himself.

Yes, I would like to see Tyrod play with some urgency as the clock winds down.