Tyrod Taylor had a quietly spectacular day

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas vs. the pass (2015)

• 2nd in the league in fewest TDs allowed.
  • 5th in the league in fewest passing YPG allowed / fewest total passing yards allowed.
  • Average of 35.6 yards allowed to opposing TEs. This includes three of the top 5 TEs in the league: Gronk, Olsen, Reed, who averaged 56.7 yards and 0 touchdowns. (Hopefully this sheds some light on why the Bills didn't throw down the middle, especially with Clay out).
  • Yards and total TDs allowed against 4 of this year's top 5 QBs in the League (Cam, Rogers, Brady, Wilson) ... 222 YPG, 5 TDs total.

Dallas vs. the run (2015)

• 29th in the league in fewest rushing TDs allowed (4th worst)
  • 22nd in the league in fewest rushing YPG allowed / fewest total rushing yards allowed (11th worst)

Tyrod's key 3rd down plays vs. Dallas

• First Quarter: 3rd and 6 from DAL 15: swing pass to Gillislee who was brought down at the 1, setting up Williams' score instead of a Carp FG attempt (we know how those have gone lately).
  • Third Quarter: 3rd and 8 from DAL 44: short pass to Williams for 20 yards. Would have at least been a field goal try, but Williams coughed it up. Another example of stupid mistakes killing drives for TT, only this was worse than the usual hold or false start.
  • Fourth Quarter: 3rd and 6 from the BUF 12; shotgun, heavy pressure -- avoids a sack from three defenders who all got their hands on him, then races past another for the first down. (Play of the game -- extended the drive, shedding 3:01 off the clock and setting up Gillislee for his TD).

Why is it so hard to understand why the Bills did what they did yesterday? Four reasons:

1. Some dare not give any credit to the coaches for doing some game planning.
  2. Some dare not give any credit to TT for sticking it to Dallas where they're weakest, or... Some dare not give TT credit for any reason whatsoever.
  3. Some just don't understand the difference between a box score and what actually happens in a game.
  4. Some just love to hate.

A franchise QB is a smart guy who knows his abilities, the other team's weakness, and executes accordingly. And wins. While not flashy with passing numbers, TT did more than enough to keep drives alive and help us win. Go ahead and rip on him for the INT. Fact is, TT was money yesterday in more ways than most care to acknowledge or comprehend. He's not a franchise guy yet, but he's the closest thing we have and he'll get another chance to improve and prove it next year.

Some here seem to think franchise QBs grow on trees. That tree is more like a wilted bush in 2016:

• The QB draft class is weak, and the "top" QBs will be gone to some combination of at least six QB-needy teams picking before the Bills.
  • It's an even worse free agent QB class with Sam Bradford as the "marquee name."

Get used to TT or be miserable. Those likely are your two options until 2017.

Edited by Felonious Monk

• 5th in the league in fewest passing YPG allowed / fewest total passing yards allowed.
  • Average of 35.6 yards allowed to opposing TEs. This includes three of the top 5 TEs in the league: Gronk, Olsen, Reed, who averaged 56.7 yards and 0 touchdowns. (Hopefully this sheds some light on why the Bills didn't throw down the middle, especially with Clay out).
  • Yards and total TDs allowed against 4 of this year's top 5 QBs in the League (Cam, Rogers, Brady, Wilson) ... 222 YPG, 5 TDs total).

• 22nd in the league in fewest rushing YPG allowed / fewest total rushing yards allowed (11th worst)

• First Quarter: 3rd and 6 from DAL 15: swing pass to Gillislee who was brought down at the 1, setting up Williams' score instead of a Carp FG attempt (we know how those have gone lately).
  • Third Quarter: 3rd and 8 from DAL 44: short pass to Williams for 20 yards. Would have at least been a field goal try, but Williams coughed it up. Another example of stupid mistakes killing drives for TT, only this was worse than the usual hold or false start.
  • Fourth Quarter: 3rd and 6 from the BUF 12; shotgun, heavy pressure -- avoids a sack from three defenders who all got their hands on him, then races past another for the first down. (Play of the game -- extended the drive, shedding 3:01 off the clock and setting up Gillislee for his TD).

Why is it so hard to understand why the Bills did what they did yesterday? Four reasons:

2. Some dare not give any credit to TT for sticking it to Dallas where they're weakest, or... Some dare not give TT credit for any reason whatsoever.
  3. Some just don't understand the difference between a box score and what actually happens in a game.

A franchise QB is a smart guy who knows his abilities, the other team's weakness, and executes accordingly. And wins. While not flashy with passing numbers, TT did more than enough to keep drives alive and help us win. Go ahead and rip on him for the INT. Fact is, TT was money yesterday in more ways than most care to acknowledge or comprehend. He's not a franchise guy yet, but he's the closest thing we have and he'll get another chance to improve and prove it next year.

Some here seem to think franchise QBs grow on trees. That tree is more like a wilted bush in 2016:

• The QB draft class is weak, and the "top" QBs will be gone to some combination of at least six QB-needy teams picking before the Bills.
  • It's an even worse free agent QB class with Sam Bradford as the "marquee name."

IMO a qb will be brought in.....but it wont be with that 1st pick

Rex hangs his hat on defense......and we didnt go to the playoffs year BECAUSE of that defense.

I am thinking that MLB from Alabama

I thought he had an efficient day. It really drives me crazy when he makes the PERFECT throw only to have a receiver drop it like Hogan did today.

One of my fatal flaws as a fan is the more I seen posters critiq and go after a player I can plainly see is doing their job......the harder I protest and defend that player........I try very hard to maintain my objectivity and the line gets a little blurred some times.

What I would like to see Tyrod work on going into next season.

- I would like to see him run a little less and throw a little more......when people B word about Tyrods lack of passing yards they dont mention the fact that his is running on some of those plays instead of throwing......all those QBs that you see throwing for 300 yard games......how many yards running do they have? I guarantee you it isnt as much as Tyrod except for a select few QBs like Cam and Russell. I would like to see Tyrod scramble but biuld that comfort level to make that throw to a receiver breaking open (he did it today...it was beautiful) and NOT take the unnecessary hit.

- Tyrod's ability to throw from the pocket got much better as the season went on.....now the bills need a RT who doesnt get beat off the snap like we have now.....we need a starting caliber RT.

- We need players that fit Tyrod's strengths.......mainly a deep threat guy with size to man the number 2 WR position. Hogan is unreliable.....he drops balls at the worst possible times.

And of course....a D that could give him good field position and create turnovers would be a help

You raise some good points. I don't think Tyrod runs as much as he could or should. It looks to me that he tries to stay in the pocket, even turning down running opportunities, when it's clear he could run. The Philly game was a really good example of this. I think he's out to prove he can be a "pocket" passer; I believe he can be that as well, but his ability to run is unique amongst the majority of QB's in the league and is a weapon that fans and media should not try to over analyze him out of doing.

I think the #2 WR can be Woods as Tyrod develops. To me, Sammy has proven to be a guy who can be doubled and still make an impact. I don't believe Roman/Tyrod utilize him enough, even as dominant as he has been over the past seven weeks. I don't want to get a guy who will distract from getting Sammy the rock. Woods showed up big in Philly and when EJ was the QB, we saw him flash a lot because they had chemistry. I think Tyrod can develop that with Woods. Now if a Megatron type talent was available for example, then yeah, they should do that. I think the WR positions the Bills need to focus on in 2016 are the 3-6 spots. Easley is hurt, Hogan is unreliable and Flash can't stay healthy. Why Hogan was targeted for that pass before the end of the half in the end zone and not 6'4 Dez Lewis is beyond me...

Edited by purple haze

IMO a qb will be brought in.....but it wont be with that 1st pick

Rex hangs his hat on defense......and we didnt go to the playoffs year BECAUSE of that defense.

I am thinking that MLB from Alabama

Totally agree we'll take a QB, but I don't think it'll be in Round 2, either, unless we trade up (NO!) or reach. The teams drafting before us in Round 1 will of course get first crack before us in the second.

IMO, with this running game and last year's defense, we go deep into the playoffs. With this running game and last year's defense -- and this year's penalties -- I'm not so sure we make it. We are in agreement that Rex killed something very special.

Edited by Felonious Monk

I have only one complaint about Tyrod's play.

On 3rd down and short STOP THROWING DEEP!

Move the chains instead! It's maddening!

That seems easily fixed though: stop doing it. So I am overall pleased with his play.

This is a consistent thing the Bills do, throwing deep on third and short. That tells me it is coaching preference as opposed to Tyrod always making that choice on his own.

Wins are a TEAM stat...not a QB stat

I think it would also be interesting to see a chart of the percentage of throws to the areas of the field over the course of the 16 game season

It seems to me that TT worked the sidelines pretty heavy early in the season......and started working the middle a lot more as the season went on.

Just like productivity from working from the pocket......to my naked eye was not great in the beginning and throws improved as the season went on.

I saw him climb the pocket on a play yesterday and make a great throw

once again.......progression

Keep reading before shooting off your cap-heavy responses, trigger boy.

The way I see it a true Franchise QB has the ability to carry his team to victory on a regular basis. His team goes into games expecting to win because they know he's the guy who can elevate the team to a win under almost any circumstance.

I agree with that definition. But by our definition, that would guy plays for about four or five teams in the NFL and everyone else should be looking for one. But in the mean time a team has to find a guy who trends in that direction or is good enough to win with even though he has flaws.

I think we're in pretty good shape with Tyrod. Next season is when we will see exactly what he will be. If he builds on what he did this year, improving in certain areas, while still displaying the strengths we saw this season, we have our guy. But even if he is we should still bring in QB's every year to develop.

• Yards and total TDs allowed against 4 of this year's top 5 QBs in the League (Cam, Rogers, Brady, Wilson) ... 222 YPG, 5 TDs total.

To your first point, the Cowboys are 4-11, and their offense gave us the ball back enough that 16 points at home should not be looked at as any sort of impressive feat. He did enough to win, and I will not take that away from him.

The Bills were 6/14 on 3rd down, which was actually one of their better games and 0/1 on a "key" fourth down. On the season, they are 37.20% (20th overall). Not converting on 3rd downs is probably my biggest gripe with the offense, and Tyrod is not blameless here. For you to highlight only the plays he converted is really pathetic, in my opinion, and one of the reasons why I think this is becoming a polarizing/divisive topic among Bills fans.

They have failed at the end of games or on key third downs several times throughout the season. I am not going to "be miserable" about Taylor, I'm going to root for him to succeed. I'm going to temper my optimism that he'll have a miracle progression in his SIXTH NFL offseason, and if you think that means I'm miserable, so be it. I think the more you set yourself up as being undeniably in support of Taylor, the individual, and not Taylor the Bills QB, the harder it will be when it likely doesn't work out. I'm not saying he can't improve, we all know players can flourish with multiple years in the same system, I'm just not overly confident that we'll see anything different.

To your first point, the Cowboys are 4-11, and their offense gave us the ball back enough that 16 points at home should not be looked at as any sort of impressive feat. He did enough to win, and I will not take that away from him.

The Bills were 6/14 on 3rd down, which was actually one of their better games and 0/1 on a "key" fourth down. On the season, they are 37.20% (20th overall). Not converting on 3rd downs is probably my biggest gripe with the offense, and Tyrod is not blameless here. For you to highlight only the plays he converted is really pathetic, in my opinion, and one of the reasons why I think this is becoming a polarizing/divisive topic among Bills fans.

They have failed at the end of games or on key third downs several times throughout the season. I am not going to "be miserable" about Taylor, I'm going to root for him to succeed. I'm going to temper my optimism that he'll have a miracle progression in his SIXTH NFL offseason, and if you think that means I'm miserable, so be it. I think the more you set yourself up as being undeniably in support of Taylor, the individual, and not Taylor the Bills QB, the harder it will be when it likely doesn't work out. I'm not saying he can't improve, we all know players can flourish with multiple years in the same system, I'm just not overly confident that we'll see anything different.

Well said and I agree with everything 100%.

Please show me where I wrote that Tyrod is "blameless."

You have the right to that opinion. Does the fact that I only listed three -- two of which led to touchdowns -- change the fact that the Bills won, and would not have won without those two touchdowns? Why didn't you include a hint of all the stupid penalties that have backed Tyrod up all season, negating so many of his positive plays? I did call them "key plays," so I think you're splitting hairs that I didn't list them all. Does ESPN show highlights of every play, or just the ones that mattered? Anyone who cares to check out his other plays is free to discover Google. Won't change the fact that we lose that game without two of those three plays, and lose the opportunity for more points with the third.

The simple fact is that many Bills fans hate the guy for whatever reason, and point to a box score without watching the game. They clamor for a new QB but offer zero logical options. They refuse to give credit where it is due, and that is what is polarizing and divisive to those of us who are able to do that, regardless of who it is.

C'mon, Fridge. You're better than this.

Edited by Felonious Monk

The guy has 13 starts, doesn't matter how long he backed up Flacco. You don't get a sense for the speed of the game in practice and it certainly doesn't come from watching on the sidelines. 3rd down conversions aren't only on the QB, a lot of it has to do with play calling. I think Roman's play calling in critical situations is atrocious. If you want Tyrod to pass for a first down he's gotta have more than 2 routes to choose from.

People criticize his tendency to throw it up down the sideline in those spots but he's throwing to Watkins so my question is, why is your best receiver running a go/fly on 3rd and 8? Seems to be a regular thing. I think Clay was seeing a lot of targets because he is at least running a sensible route in those situations. And don't even get me started on the short passing game. I loved seeing Bridgewater stand up from center and shoot a pass to his outside receiver last night. Watkins made his living off of those kinds of plays in college and Roman hasn't done it once.

You can't just point at the guy with 13 starts and put it all on him. The defense regressed significantly this year, they have over a half mile in penalties, the play calling is suspect on 3rd down and in the red zone and I can't remember a team with more injuries (maybe under Jauron?). The whole team has struggled this year and I think Tyrod is the least of worries.

@billsupdates

Which NFL QBs would you take over #Bills' Tyrod Taylor? Here's our list http://ow.ly/WnoXz

The article categorizes as follows:

Close, but I would take them over Taylor

Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs

Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings

*** I opine that every one of these QBs is better (a lot better) than Tyrod Taylor.

Wouldn't take over Taylor

Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears

Sam Bradford, Philadelphia Eagles

Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins

Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos

Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets

Nick Foles, St. Louis Rams

Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns

Brian Hoyer, Houston Texans

*** I would take Tyrod Taylor over Manziel, Osweiler, Cutler, Bradford, Manning and Kaepernick. I would opine that the rest on the list are better QBs than Taylor.

The article categorizes as follows:

Close, but I would take them over Taylor

Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs

Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings

*** I opine that every one of these QBs is better (a lot better) than Tyrod Taylor. Wouldn't take over Taylor

Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears

Sam Bradford, Philadelphia Eagles

Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins

Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos

Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets

Nick Foles, St. Louis Rams

Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns

Brian Hoyer, Houston Texans

*** I would take Tyrod Taylor over Manziel, Osweiler, Cutler, Bradford, Manning and Kaepernick. I would opine that the rest on the list are better QBs than Taylor.

Tyrod over Cutty? Lunacy. Edited by FireChan