Tyrod Taylor had a quietly spectacular day

PromoTheRobot

300 yards is a random stat used by the NFL and the Bills are one of 2 teams this year not to have done it in a game this year..... And people are happy?

I am 100% behind (and support) TT, but I don't like the passing offence, the lack of targets and catches by Sammy Watkins, YAC, passes in space,over the middle.

Finally the Bills only looked good in games they won Mia x 2, Indy, NYJ, Houston, Dallas easily and/or never trailed..... They were lousy vs. Tenn & in every game they lost they did not show the ability to handle any adversity on Offense & were putrid in their hurry-up/2 minute offense. I blame Roman, but TT is not blameless when he ignores Watkins and the calls at the line take 25 seconds.

Edited by Billsfan1972

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas vs. the pass (2015)

• 2nd in the league in fewest TDs allowed.
  • 5th in the league in fewest passing YPG allowed / fewest total passing yards allowed.
  • Average of 35.6 yards allowed to opposing TEs. This includes three of the top 5 TEs in the league: Gronk, Olsen, Reed, who averaged 56.7 yards and 0 touchdowns. (Hopefully this sheds some light on why the Bills didn't throw down the middle, especially with Clay out).
  • Yards and total TDs allowed against 4 of this year's top 5 QBs in the League (Cam, Rogers, Brady, Wilson) ... 222 YPG, 5 TDs total.

Dallas vs. the run (2015)

• 29th in the league in fewest rushing TDs allowed (4th worst)
  • 22nd in the league in fewest rushing YPG allowed / fewest total rushing yards allowed (11th worst)

Tyrod's key 3rd down plays vs. Dallas

• First Quarter: 3rd and 6 from DAL 15: swing pass to Gillislee who was brought down at the 1, setting up Williams' score instead of a Carp FG attempt (we know how those have gone lately).
  • Third Quarter: 3rd and 8 from DAL 44: short pass to Williams for 20 yards. Would have at least been a field goal try, but Williams coughed it up. Another example of stupid mistakes killing drives for TT, only this was worse than the usual hold or false start.
  • Fourth Quarter: 3rd and 6 from the BUF 12; shotgun, heavy pressure -- avoids a sack from three defenders who all got their hands on him, then races past another for the first down. (Play of the game -- extended the drive, shedding 3:01 off the clock and setting up Gillislee for his TD).

Why is it so hard to understand why the Bills did what they did yesterday? Four reasons:

1. Some dare not give any credit to the coaches for doing some game planning.
  2. Some dare not give any credit to TT for sticking it to Dallas where they're weakest, or... Some dare not give TT credit for any reason whatsoever.
  3. Some just don't understand the difference between a box score and what actually happens in a game.
  4. Some just love to hate.

A franchise QB is a smart guy who knows his abilities, the other team's weakness, and executes accordingly. And wins. While not flashy with passing numbers, TT did more than enough to keep drives alive and help us win. Go ahead and rip on him for the INT. Fact is, TT was money yesterday in more ways than most care to acknowledge or comprehend. He's not a franchise guy yet, but he's the closest thing we have and he'll get another chance to improve and prove it next year.

Some here seem to think franchise QBs grow on trees. That tree is more like a wilted bush in 2016:

• The QB draft class is weak, and the "top" QBs will be gone to some combination of at least six QB-needy teams picking before the Bills.
  • It's an even worse free agent QB class with Sam Bradford as the "marquee name."

Get used to TT or be miserable. Those likely are your two options until 2017.

Best post I've read on here all year. Facts. Research. Emotion only when needed. Nicely done, FM.

I dont THINK anyone is putting it on Tyrod. What i think the major grievance is with the people who want to force him into elite franchize mode. I bet you Tyrod is teetering on the line of qualifying for most of his accolades. I would be curious how he falls in line with regular starting qbs with atleast 13 games this year. Basically passing attempts, yards, completions. We know the TDs and completion percentage is not too skewed. But when your qb throws under 20 times multiple times in a season. He better have a high completion percentage.

Just curious where he stacks up

Here's your query

His ranks out of 22 qualifiers are:

Attempts: 22 (352)

Completion %: 14 (63.64)

Yards: 22 (2,853)

Yards/Game: 21 (219.5)

Yards/Attempt: 4 (8.47)

TDs: 17 (20)

INTs: 2 (6)

Rating: 5 (100.7)

Sacks: 13 (34)

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

That's a superlative, and you know it. If he climbed the pocket (something both Rex and Greg have been critical of) more often, then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that the line was as bad as you say, but the guy has a tendancy to give up on passing plays pretty quickly.

Hence a lot of the holding calls

300 yards is a random stat used by the NFL and the Bills are one of 2 teams this year not to have done it in a game this year..... And people are happy?

I am 100% behind (and support) TT, but I don't like the passing offence, the lack of targets and catches by Sammy Watkins, YAC, passes in space,over the middle.

Finally the Bills only looked good in games they won Mia x 2, Indy, NYJ, Houston, Dallas easily and/or never trailed..... They were lousy vs. Tenn & in every game they lost they did not show the ability to handle any adversity on Offense & were putrid in their hurry-up/2 minute offense. I blame Roman, but TT is not blameless when he ignores Watkins and the calls at the line take 25 seconds.

We're ranked T6th in the league in yards per play.

Why do we need to throw it a billion times?

Edited by Dorkington

You mean... people that supported EJ last season?

Fridge i dont remember what side you were on with EJ but i will say this mirrors EJ debates almost exactly. Some will like Rod so will hate him regardless of what he does. Both are quite incomplete. But i wonder how much the CBA in regards to practice constraints has neutered both guys and their ability to develop chemistry while trying to learn the game on that level

Because the Bills lost to NE 2X, Jax & Cincy (EJ), NYG, Phil, Wash & KC..... The Bills did not come back once this year, nor had a fourth quarter comeback to take the lead (yes Jax). The Bills had the ball with a chance to tie or win with 2 minutes to go vs. KC, NE x 2, Jax & Phil and failed every time (and heck weren't close once in creating a drive). Wash & NYG games winnable too.....

And as said I want TT as the Bills qb and an offense that highlights the best player Sammy Watkins.

Because the Bills lost to NE 2X, Jax & Cincy (EJ), NYG, Phil, Wash & KC..... The Bills did not come back once this year, nor had a fourth quarter comeback to take the lead (yes Jax). The Bills had the ball with a chance to tie or win with 2 minutes to go vs. KC, NE x 2, Jax & Phil and failed every time (and heck weren't close once in creating a drive). Wash & NYG games winnable too.....

And as said I want TT as the Bills qb and an offense that highlights the best player Sammy Watkins.

yea,being unable to pull out comeback wins is a concern or plain bad luck.

Some QB's start out in college doing it and just continue it in the pros. I don't

Think I need to say who.

Once this offense becomes more expolsive (receivers healthy) O-line improvements,

And can start too roll up points with ease. TT will get some comeback wins. Snortin Orton may have been

The last to pull that off.

We averaged 22 points per game in our losses. Our team has averaged 21 points per game total. Our defense gives up 23 points per game (for the year), last year our team gave up 18 points per game.

I think the problem is our defense, not if Tyrod throws the ball enough. But hey, let's force Tyrod to throw the ball a bunch.

We averaged 22 points per game in our losses. Our team has averaged 21 points per game total. Our defense gives up 23 points per game (for the year), last year our team gave up 18 points per game.

I think the problem is our defense, not if Tyrod throws the ball enough. But hey, let's force Tyrod to throw the ball a bunch.

So the losses are okay because the bills scored 22 points?

So the losses are okay because the bills scored 22 points?

Does Tyrod play defense too?

Basing QB performance on wins and losses is absurd when you get right down to it. It assumes no one else contributes.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I didn't say that.

You, like the other idiots around here, have no understanding of reality.

First was responding to PTR... Second I want TT to succeed and hope he does. I blame a lot on Rman.

The point was there was not a single comeback this year and the Bills blew the KC game, should have beaten both NE & Philly too. The issues these games is Roman has a game plan (my opinion) that is predicated on the team always being ahead and no way of coming back. And way too many 3 and outs.

Personally, I think Fitz is a better qb than Taylor. Obviously with more time, this can change.

With Chan Gailey AND Brandon Marshall he is a world better. But like you said. It may change

Just nitpicking but the whole 300 yards thing is a bit silly. EJ had 298 and I believe Taylor had a 290 game. That said, we aren't a good passing team.

300 is like the new average. Or so i think he is getting at. Its sort of like that Elusive 4000 yard season.

Um, well, maybe they think that what you term "70s football" wins in 2015 because in 2011, it won 13 games and went to the conference championship; in 2012 it won 11 games and went to the superbowl; in 2013, it won 12 games and went to the conference championship? Of course it had a pretty tough defense (#2 or #3) to go with it at that point, but given the Bills rank last year on D, perhaps it wasn't toooo much of a stretch to think they might achieve a comparable result with a comparably stout D?

Moreover, in 2012, 2013, and 2014 Roman could look to the north, where this team formerly called the SeaSnakes (now Seahawks in honor of #22) was running over people about as well, and going to playoffs, winning the superbowl, and losing the superbowl. They have a short QB who is noted for his scrambling ability.

Perhaps that is another reason why our coaches think they can win with "70s football"?

I do agree that Sammy Watkins was under-utilized, in part because Tyrod didn't seem to see him.

EXACTLY when Rex first came in and said he was gonna make the defense BETTER. Failed epically. But the formula. As you said. Was top defense, strong run game. And a qb who doesnt mess up

No one compared Taylor to Holcomb except for you. Of course you would take Taylor over Holcomb 100/100 times.

300 yard games are not a complete barometer for QB success, I agree with that. I do think that yardage is a qualifier for "spectacular," which I believe is the essence of this thread.

How did you feel about Cams 400 yd passing 100 yard rushing 5td game. That my friend, is spectacular!!!

I agree with this. But not being able to throw with a shortened field has, in my opinion, hurt us on numerous occasions.

I agree with this. But not being able to throw with a shortened field has, in my opinion, hurt us on numerous occasions.

Absolutely agree that Tyrod needs to work on the quick/short passing game.

But I disagree with the notion we should force that when we're generally successful running the ball. It'd be like telling a team with a QB that can do the short game well, that they need to pass less and force the run more, even though their running attack isn't great.