Tyrod Taylor had a quietly spectacular day

PromoTheRobot

Overall pretty well. He was terrible at getting the play in on time, especially terrible at the two minute offense letting Taylor run the offense himself, terrible at insisting on getting the ball into Watkins hands. Taylor was running Romans offense how he was taught to run it. Roman had to insist that he throw to Sammy more. And Rex should have insisted Roman do it when he didn't. It was an enormous blunder the entire season.

Yep. I think Roman is fascinated with the run game and that was reinforced by TT's lack of regular season playing time - and the herky jerky QB follies they went through in TC and the PS. Running is easier than throwing in this league... but it's not necessarily more productive. Yes, the offense was markedly improved over the previous few years in many respects, but for the FB, TE, WR, and RBs that we had this year, the O turned out to be disappointing.

The article categorizes as follows:

Close, but I would take them over Taylor

Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs

Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings

*** I opine that every one of these QBs is better (a lot better) than Tyrod Taylor.

Wouldn't take over Taylor

Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears

Sam Bradford, Philadelphia Eagles

Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins

Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos

Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets

Nick Foles, St. Louis Rams

Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns

Brian Hoyer, Houston Texans

*** I would take Tyrod Taylor over Manziel, Osweiler, Cutler, Bradford, Manning and Kaepernick. I would opine that the rest on the list are better QBs than Taylor.

But what about Tim Tebow?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutler's worth 10 Taylor's.

I'm normally with you but Cutler sucks. There's a reason why he has a losing record and has been to the playoffs once. He is a turnover machine who always make a dumb mistake to lose games.

One of the things I've been most impressed with Taylor is how he protects the football. I just worry he will never been consistent enough series to series to be a "franchise" guy. This offense has some awful stretches of football every game.

Guess McDonald's makes a SPECTACULAR sandwich

I'm normally with you but Cutler sucks. There's a reason why he has a losing record and has been to the playoffs once. He is a turnover machine who always make a dumb mistake to lose games.

One of the things I've been most impressed with Taylor is how he protects the football. I just worry he will never been consistent enough series to series to be a "franchise" guy. This offense has some awful stretches of football every game.

Agree to disagree. Cutler's been okay this year.

With our weapons I think he'd be cash.

In this league you need to be able to bring your team back and throw for 300 yards. I am very happy with TT, but he did neither of those once this year (resulting in a victory). Every good game was the result of the Bills controlling it from the beginning.

And get the ball to Watkins!!!!!!!!!

Guess McDonald's makes a SPECTACULAR sandwich

Agree to disagree. Cutler's been okay this year.

With our weapons I think he'd be cash.

He just always makes a dumb play at the wrong time. See his int to Kyle Williams. Jeffrey is a top 5 wr in the NFL and can be uncoverable. As limited as I think TT is, he won't kill you with bad turnovers.

And once a month, McDonald's can hit the spot. The word spectacular is badly misused in this thread.

@billsupdates

Which NFL QBs would you take over #Bills' Tyrod Taylor? Here's our list http://ow.ly/WnoXz

That list is about right kinda like the list I had in another thread.

He just always makes a dumb play at the wrong time. See his int to Kyle Williams. Jeffrey is a top 5 wr in the NFL and can be uncoverable. As limited as I think TT is, he won't kill you with bad turnovers.

And once a month, McDonald's can hit the spot. The word spectacular is badly misused in this thread.

Opposed to TT making NO plays at critical times late in games. Is there a difference? Both equally annoying, IMO.

I want to like the idea of Tyrod Taylor as our guy for at least the next five years, but here's the problem:

Too indecisive when he needs to make multiple reads.

First instinct is as if he wants to run if the first read isn't open (who could blame him with the pass protection, or lack there of, this year?).

Throws a good deep ball, yet seems to over think and rush the short to intermediate throws, resulting in often over or under throwing receivers.

We've seen a million of guys like him that are "okay" over the course of this 16 years and there's a huge difference, if we've learned nothing else during this drought, between "okay" and a bona fide franchise quarterback.

Look at the majority of teams that've already qualified for the tournament, look at their quarterbacks:

Aaron Rodgers

Cam Newton

Carson Palmer

Russell Wilson

Tom Brady

"Okay" sometimes is good enough to get you in in certain divisions, and yes, I am aware the Jets have an "okay" QB, but their defense carried them most of the way this year, but when you play in a division where the New England are your opponent twice a year, "okay" usually doesn't cut it.

So, while I fully expect Taylor to be the starter in 2016, I'm not gonna agree that it's gonna be the right decision to get this football team into the postseason next year.

Tyrod Taylors of the football world are a dime a dozen.

That list is about right kinda like the list I had in another thread.

Opposed to TT making NO plays at critical times late in games. Is there a difference? Both equally annoying, IMO.

TT can run and doesn't turn the ball over. That gives him the edge IMO.

Either way, both are flawed in different ways.

I want to like the idea of Tyrod Taylor as our guy for at least the next five years, but here's the problem:

Too indecisive when he needs to make multiple reads.

First instinct is as if he wants to run if the first read isn't open (who could blame him with the pass protection, or lack there of, this year?).

Throws a good deep ball, yet seems to over think and rush the short to intermediate throws, resulting in often over or under throwing receivers.

We've seen a million of guys like him that are "okay" over the course of this 16 years and there's a huge difference, if we've learned nothing else during this drought, between "okay" and a bona fide franchise quarterback.

Look at the majority of teams that've already qualified for the tournament, look at their quarterbacks:

Aaron Rodgers

Cam Newton

Carson Palmer

Russell Wilson

Tom Brady

"Okay" sometimes is good enough to get you in in certain divisions, and yes, I am aware the Jets have an "okay" QB, but their defense carried them most of the way this year, but when you play in a division where the New England are your opponent twice a year, "okay" usually doesn't cut it.

So, while I fully expect Taylor to be the starter in 2016, I'm not gonna agree that it's gonna be the right decision to get this football team into the postseason next year.

Tyrod Taylors of the football world are a dime a dozen.

Taylor would have made the playoffs with last year's defense. However at this stage, he's not good enough to carry a team and I wonder if he will ever be. But he has proven he can play in the league.

Me thinks that Bills fans GROSSLY overestimate the play of the offensive line because of the run game when they mostly sucked at pass blocking, and GROSSLY underestimate Taylor's escapability, scrambling, throwing on the run, and actual running as an element of his overall QB play, even if they acknowledge he's a sensational runner.

Given the protection he got, he was extraordinary and one of the very best in the league at getting production from those snaps. As far as actual production he was in the middle of the league, which was very good.

Taylor would have made the playoffs with last year's defense. However at this stage, he's not good enough to carry a team and I wonder if he will ever be. But he has proven he can play in the league.

The edge in what? It doesn't make him win games. When it has been there for the taking for him to nut up and win a game, he has more than failed. Doesn't make him better than Cutler, IMO.

I agree with the bolded.

Understood but its sort of mind boggling and off putting that the best thing this team's came up with in 16 years is Tyrod Taylor...

And as much as he scrambles, while he is good at it, he will never make it through a full NFL season with the defenses in this league nowadays.

Please show me where I wrote that Tyrod is "blameless."

You have the right to that opinion. Does the fact that I only listed three -- two of which led to touchdowns -- change the fact that the Bills won, and would not have won without those two touchdowns? Why didn't you include a hint of all the stupid penalties that have backed Tyrod up all season, negating so many of his positive plays? I did call them "key plays," so I think you're splitting hairs that I didn't list them all. Does ESPN show highlights of every play, or just the ones that mattered? Anyone who cares to check out his other plays is free to discover Google. Won't change the fact that we lose that game without two of those three plays, and lose the opportunity for more points with the third.

The simple fact is that many Bills fans hate the guy for whatever reason, and point to a box score without watching the game. They clamor for a new QB but offer zero logical options. They refuse to give credit where it is due, and that is what is polarizing and divisive to those of us who are able to do that, regardless of who it is.

C'mon, Fridge. You're better than this.

Telling me to use google to find the stats that you conveniently eliminated to yield your own narrative is hilarious. Especially after I already found them and had to post them.

Tyrod had a spectacular day in the same way that you're spectacular at watching football games with an unbiased opinion.

The guy has 13 starts, doesn't matter how long he backed up Flacco. You don't get a sense for the speed of the game in practice and it certainly doesn't come from watching on the sidelines. 3rd down conversions aren't only on the QB, a lot of it has to do with play calling. I think Roman's play calling in critical situations is atrocious. If you want Tyrod to pass for a first down he's gotta have more than 2 routes to choose from.

Where have I heard that before :rolleyes:

Given the protection he got, he was extraordinary and one of the very best in the league at getting production from those snaps. As far as actual production he was in the middle of the league, which was very good.

That's a superlative, and you know it. If he climbed the pocket (something both Rex and Greg have been critical of) more often, then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that the line was as bad as you say, but the guy has a tendancy to give up on passing plays pretty quickly.

That's a superlative, and you know it. If he climbed the pocket (something both Rex and Greg have been critical of) more often, then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that the line was as bad as you say, but the guy has a tendancy to give up on passing plays pretty quickly.

He takes off about ten snaps a game. He throws on about 5 of them and runs on about 5 of them. Those are averages and estimations of course but it's close. I would argue that only 2-3 at most of those 10 does he have any chance whatsoever of stepping up into a pocket let alone having time to complete a pass from there.

He takes off about ten snaps a game. He throws on about 5 of them and runs on about 5 of them. Those are averages and estimations of course but it's close. I would argue that only 2-3 at most of those 10 does he have any chance whatsoever of stepping up into a pocket let alone having time to complete a pass from there.

I disagree with your estimations, of course.

Edited by fridge

I disagree with your estimations, of course.

How many times a game do you think he scrambles, and how many of those does he end up running or throwing? He's had 94 rushing attempts in 13 games. I would say there has been approximately 40 of those plays called running plays and there have been maybe 10 plays where he was running and looking to pass but caught a yard or so behind the line, which is a sack, like once or twice yesterday. I think he easily throws 4-5 times a game on the run and sometimes more. I'm not sure what there really is to argue with.

safety =/= success

as is readily apparent.

No need to be CARELESS, but no need to be cautious to the point of suckitude either.

Telling me to use google to find the stats that you conveniently eliminated to yield your own narrative is hilarious. Especially after I already found them and had to post them.

Tyrod had a spectacular day in the same way that you're spectacular at watching football games with an unbiased opinion.

Where have I heard that before :rolleyes:

Probably from numerous, level headed people who know football. Snarky doesn't equal right.