Bills cannot go forward with Rex

Wiz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I said when they hired Rex. He will rip the organization apart and fail. The only part I didn't see was I thought it would take two years and it only took one. Please for the sake of us all get rid of him now so we can move on and not make us wait two more years to rebuild with him to then fire him after the 2016 or 2017 season.

This is a worse situation than we've had in the past. If Rex stays, the Bills will lose all their FAs. No one particularly on defense will want to play for him, and they'll take good offers to go to teams that can make the playoffs. C-ya, Gilmore. Glenn and Incognito will be gone as well, and the progress made this year on the offensive line will be lost. The Bills are headed to an absolute disaster next year if Ryan stays. When Marrone left, it was sort of the same old thing we've seen before, but we've never had players itching to get out of town because of a coach before.

This is a a franchise-saving or franchise-killing decision point. If the Bills let Ryan stick around and try to rebuild the defense his way, the outflow of good players when their rookie contracts expire will never allow them to restock. They will hit rock bottom next year, with no O line, no defense, McCoy getting old without anyone to block for him, Watkins getting hurt, Taylor running for his life. The Bills will draft high in 2017, possibly first overall, and might then get the QB they want, who will be ready in about 2020 to lead them, but there won't be a team around him.

The alternative is to can Ryan, preferably now but more likely at the end of the season, and to bring in a coach who doesn't want to fix things that ain't broken. Hire Schwartz as defensive coordinator. Magically the Bills good players will decide to re-sign, and the team can move ahead. We can either sink with Ryan, who will get canned in a couple of years, or can Ryan now, and rescue the situation.

Ryan gets paid that $27M if he doesn't get another job, but there's a sucker born every minute, and an NFL owner willing to hire a marquee coach for advertising reasons will swallow the same bait the Pegulas did. So I don't think the full $27M will be lost. And $27M is peanuts compared to the agony of watching their $1B+ investment go down the tubes.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just like Rex sucked the life out of the defense, I can honestly say having Rex stay and watching what you describe above will suck the life out of me as a fan, in a fashion that I have not experienced before. I've been a fan since I was 10 yrs old back in '68. But if Rex stays and the players start to go, I may have to take a pause.

Rex will be back and so will Thurman. Crossman could be gone because he's not a true Rex guy.

I know Rex will be back and probably Thurman. But i also expect some position coaches to be upgraded.

I just hope they keep Henderson> a new LB coach would be nice. Whats Pepper doing these days?

Because ur defense was great and it would only get better with him in charge. If he got a true off coordinator like Gailey our team would have a better record than last season's 9-7.

As has been proven time and again, being a good coordinator doesn't mean you're head coaching material. Not sure how many times you watched the Lions when Schwartz was their head coach, but I recall many mind-boggling decisions in the games I saw. He was really bad in that role.

As has been proven time and again, being a good coordinator doesn't mean you're head coaching material. Not sure how many times you watched the Lions when Schwartz was their head coach, but I recall many mind-boggling decisions in the games I saw. He was really bad in that role.

a great example to make a valid point!

Rex should be fired, but probably won't be. I'm holding out hope that the Bills continue the sprint for the bus, and finish 6-10 by losing in humiliating fashion at home to both the 'girls and the Jest. Then maybe, just maybe, we can correct the Rex Ryan mistake before we get to 17 and counting. But BC is right (so I'm not betting you), the continuity faction will probably win, which means we don't make the playoffs next year. Sigh. It sucks when you know this thing should be blown up, but you can't because of money and continuity.

I hope we kill the Cowboys and beat the Jets knocking them out of the playoffs.

yes they can, it's called 4 ,more years 20M owed. Pegula's not gonna eat that much

It is less than 1% of his supposed worth, not much at all, and far less than what it will cost him in lost revenue, in eating the contracts of all the players Rex will want to replace, and the cost of bringing in supposedly better players thru trades and FA,of paying off Whaley and hiring a new GM, and replacing key people who will leave with Whaley, etc. The financially rational thing to do is sever ties with Rex.

It is less than 1% of his supposed worth, not much at all, and far less than what it will cost him in lost revenue, in eating the contracts of all the players Rex will want to replace, and the cost of bringing in supposedly better players thru trades and FA,of paying off Whaley and hiring a new GM, and replacing key people who will leave with Whaley, etc. The financially rational thing to do is sever ties with Rex.

It seems easier to get rid of Rex than everybody else, like you said.

I think Whaley has brought in a lot of talent.

And, somebody mentioned on the board somewhere about how usually the buyouts work that if he gets hired that money offsets what the Bills would owe him................I doubt he's just going to retire.

This has been discussed pretty thoroughly in other threads.

Wrex's approach of telling the fans, players, and owner, that they were going to the playoffs, and would have the best defense, set them up for a crash landing if the season were to take a downward turn (which it quickly did). When things start going wrong, it's blowouts, over emotional play, penalties, and whining to the press.

He's an idiot.

Firing Wrex would not only cost lots of money, it would send a really bad message to prospective coaches throughout the league.

A better way is to not allow him to turnover the roster to fit his scheme, but instead force him to either accept a new 4-3 DC, or have him adjust his scheme to suit the players here.

It would be great to just make Ryan a figurehead, and groom the new DC to take over after a season or 2. Ironically, Wrex's dad kinda undermined Ditka (a way overrated coach) on his way to dividing that Bears team into 2 separate factions.

The worst scenario is Whaley gets canned, Wrex "rebuilds" the defense over a couple seasons, and the team treads water until he is fired.

Edited by HoF Watkins

27 million is a good chunk of change even for a billionaire !!! Maybe we could bring in a new defensive coordinator & any other coaches we need & keep Rex as a figure for a year or two & then fire his ass.

Your looking at it all wrong. That $27 mill is a sunken cost. That money is gone & it was spent on dead weight. The real cost will be what it is going to take to get a Hue Jackson or some other hot shot coordinator to right this ship. My guess is it will be in the 3-4 million range per year so when you think of it that way it is not that bad.

Here we go again, spinning the Buffalo Bills wagon wheels. Fire this coach or that coach every 1-2 years so that we can start all over again. When are we going to learn? Give him at least another 2 years to turn it around. Continuity is best. I said it with Chan and I still believe we should have stuck to the course then, but again we ran another coach out of town.

I was as hyped up about this season as any, but we should have known there would be growing pains with a new coach and a new QB. Did we expect the D to be this bad, no, but I guess the scheme really does need the player types specifically for that scheme. Lets see what happens over the next couple years. I don't think Rex is going anywhere and rightfully so.

The worst scenario is Whaley gets canned, Wrex "rebuilds" the defense over a couple seasons, and the team treads water until he is fired.

I really doubt Whaley gets shown the door...But the later part of that statement is pretty much what I think is going to happen...I'm quite a bit less than optimistic Rex will be able to turn this thing around... B-)

Give Rex 3 to 4 years, I'm just has pissed off as anyone, but we have to let this thing play out. It amazing, he is a funny guy you can really get to like, but the mass are dying for this guy to fail.

I LOVED the Ryan hire. But it's clear he can't coach anymore. The Jets got "players" for his system. He still stunk. Now that team, after years of failure is on its way to the playoffs with a different coach. If Pegs wants to capitalize on this D's window, the key is to can or box-in Rex. Get Schwartz back here as DC. Tell Rex hands OFF THE d. If he hates it, whatever. If he quits, perhaps Pegs saves money and can get a real HC. Or just can Rex and hire Schwartz, Hue Jackson, etc.

I don't even care anymore, looking forward to baseball season. :oops:

who is your baseball team. I'm not looking forward to it (pirates fan)

Give Rex 3 to 4 years, I'm just has pissed off as anyone, but we have to let this thing play out. It amazing, he is a funny guy you can really get to like, but the mass are dying for this guy to fail.

Going to be a tough sell to "give" Rex anything. At most, Rex is given the benefit of the doubt for 1 year. If the D sucks again next year and we miss the playoffs he's gone.

Rex has always been a character. Ray Lewis talks about what a great coach he is because he "Is a players coach." In fact most players that have played for him sign his praises.

What I do know is that our offense is better than it was the previous year. But our defense, the area of the game Rex is noted for, stinks it up. Based upon comments I see in the press, I sense our defense fought Rex over what he wanted to do. That is they didn't embrace his game plans for the defense. If players don't buy in, there are going to be problems because they are not going to apply the same degree of enthusiasm and work they would otherwise do.

I don't think Rex is going anywhere next season. But I do see big changes happening on the defensive side of the ball starting with Mario.

Yes new QB new system new coach. Just like those 9-5 Jets. :)

Not buying it, they have had a powder puff schedule, everything has gone right for them this year. I don't think they will do anything IF they make it to the playoffs and next year they will regress badly. Didn't we beat them this year? Can't we keep them out of the playoffs by winning in Week 17? I think we can and will.

Everyone else gets a free pass? I cannot think of a Bill who over-performed other than TT imo

Darby

Karlos

Rambo

Lawson

Incognito

Glenn

All exceeded my expectations anyway.

Rex is not going anywhere for at least two more years people. Gotta give the team and the GM time to acquire the guys, and train them to play the way our staff wants them to.

I'm struggling to see why anyone thought we were going to be so good with so many new personnel and a new system and a green qb. Because we couldn't get much pressure with our front 4 this year isn't all the coaches fault either. At the end of the day you line up and either beat the man in front of you or you don't. If Mario or Dareus is whining about dropping into coverage once in awhile, fine, but what about the other 90% of the time when you're not beating your man and getting to the qb or at least into the backfield?

Rex is taking all the blame it seems.

Here we go again, spinning the Buffalo Bills wagon wheels. Fire this coach or that coach every 1-2 years so that we can start all over again. When are we going to learn? Give him at least another 2 years to turn it around. Continuity is best. I said it with Chan and I still believe we should have stuck to the course then, but again we ran another coach out of town.

I was as hyped up about this season as any, but we should have known there would be growing pains with a new coach and a new QB. Did we expect the D to be this bad, no, but I guess the scheme really does need the player types specifically for that scheme. Lets see what happens over the next couple years. I don't think Rex is going anywhere and rightfully so.

I respectfully disagree...

And for the record I doubt very much that the Bills will can Rex...I just think they should...I think Whaley should stay though...

Each and every situation is different...This is not just more of the same thing because each individual coach brought his own supposed strengths and weaknesses...And the right coach can turn things around fast...Admittedly finding that HC is not the easiest thing to do...But still...It's do-able...There has to be at least one more Bruce Arians out there...

I just think...and it's only my opinion...that Rex's ways don't work in the 2015 version of the NFL...And if I'm right there is no reason to stretch this thing out...Granted I could be wrong as well...

Rex was brought in to take what was basically a .500 team and turn them into a 10-6 Playoff team...minimum...Growing pains were absolutely not expected, especially if you listened to Rex himself...The Bills upgraded at QB, RB, both OG's, TE, and CB this past off-season...Yet they regressed on the field...How is that possible if you have good coaching? The answer is...It's not possible...IF you have good coaching...The Bills did not...At least not from the Head Coaching/Defensive Coordinator position they didn't...

You want to keep it the same for the sake of continuity? Fine...But understand and admit the inherent risks in that strategy upfront...This roster is going to be turned over again for the sake of scheme...We're still going to have a run 1st, three yards and a cloud of dust, HC who will build his team around a running game and a Defensive scheme that may very well be past it's time...A Head Coach that wants to stubbornly buck the current trends of a passing league...A HC that despite his reputation of being a players coach was unable to get the best out of his players...A HC who presided over a terribly undisciplined team and seemingly had no answer for it...A Head Coach that could not get his team to steal games late...due in some part to terrible late game and clock management...And in today's NFL being very good in the last 5 minutes of games is essential if you want to be a Playoff team...

You want to assume that things will improve due to continuity...go right ahead...You may be right...But if your wrong this thing is going to look pretty awful in a couple years when it becomes glaringly obvious Rex must go...But heck...Maybe he'll run it into the ground bad enough for the Bills to get a crack at #1 overall and a Franchise QB...So actually...That may not be the worst strategy... B-)

I don't think it's going out on a limb by saying I fully expect a second year of Rex to be as bad, or worse, than the first...

I'm unhappy with the job he's done but having both offensive and defensive systems move into year two I doubt we see "as bad or worse" in production. The only way that happens is if TT regresses (which he may do.)

While I don't like what Rex has done at all, changing coaches after a single year speaks to a franchise who can't get their heads out of their asses. Rex gets at least another year, the last thing I want is to see scheme and coaching changes yet again. One thing I do know is that Rex is a good D coach, the D will not be worse next year, I'm fairly confident of that. You won't see all the miscommunication or players looking completely lost pre-snap like we have this year. Well, at least not nearly as much of it.

Random thought - I can't remember the last time the was such over whelming consensus in this board against a coach after just one year.

Just for the record- this board has rarely been wrong about a player or coach when there is a majority opinion. Just saying...

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Rex as the coach of your football franchise is like being married to a manic-depressive. High highs and low lows. When she's manic you're hitting bars, screwing like rabbits, maybe even a threesome thrown in the mix, but when the lows come they are extended and terrible to deal with.

I figured Rex would stink on the offense, penalties, challenges, and overall game planning like he always did with the Jets. But how bad he's been on defense was a shock to me, it's the one thing that made him a decent coach, he always gave you a top 10 and sometimes top 5 defense, and he was consistent with that. I always figured a mature OC teamed with Rex and his top 10 defense would be a good long term plan. It just hasn't worked out for him, I don't think he has qualities to be a legit HC in the NFL.

Random thought - I can't remember the last time the was such over whelming consensus in this board against a coach after just one year.

Just for the record- this board has rarely been wrong about a player or coach when there is a majority opinion. Just saying...

That is the truth. Remember this board when Maybin was selected when the consensus was Brian Orakpo. Or when Whitner was selected over Ngata. The board was screaming for Orakpo and Ngata, and they both were big needs. Like you state, when the vast majority of TBD is for a move, it should be made

I'm hearing a lot of the old favorite, "the players have given up on Rex." I'm no Rex fan, and I'd just as soon see him gone. But remember, here's some other coaches whose teams "gave up" on them earlier this year (if you want to believe the media and fanposts):

Chip Kelly - still fighting for a division title

Jay Gruden - same

Andy Reid - in the playoffs, and a reasonable chance to actually beat the Broncos for the division. Lost 5 in a row, won 8 in a row.

Bill O'Brien - 92% chance of winning the division

There are many reasons not to like Rex as head coach going forward. (Two of my favorites: 1. In a league where high IQ coaches tend to dominate now, he doesn't strike me as particularly intelligent. 2. In a league where workaholics tend to dominate now, his easy-going "take the week off, go to Dave and Buster's to relax" style doesn't give me a sense that he's the prototype "first in the building, last to go home" guy), but the "players have given up on him" meme isn't one of them.

Rex has always been a character. Ray Lewis talks about what a great coach he is because he "Is a players coach." In fact most players that have played for him sign his praises.

What I do know is that our offense is better than it was the previous year. But our defense, the area of the game Rex is noted for, stinks it up. Based upon comments I see in the press, I sense our defense fought Rex over what he wanted to do. That is they didn't embrace his game plans for the defense. If players don't buy in, there are going to be problems because they are not going to apply the same degree of enthusiasm and work they would otherwise do.

I don't think Rex is going anywhere next season. But I do see big changes happening on the defensive side of the ball starting with Mario.

You can't be a "players coach" when your players don't have any leadership, never hold team meetings, any of that stuff.

THAT'S why the wheels have fallen off.

We have a coach that gives his players lots and lots of responsibility and leeway, and our guys just sat there and stared at it.