Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team

YoloinOhio

Have you experienced a championship as a fan?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, which sport?

• NBA
    • NHL
    • MLB
    • College Football
    • College Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Other
    • N/A, I am still waiting

Born in '68

A's - '89

Warriors - '15 (lived in Buffalo for previous early 70's championships for A's/Warriors, no recollection)

UCLA BB - '95

Still awaiting Bills & Sabres. Bills SB championship would easily top all of the above, although Warriors championship last year was pretty sweet.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orange-men with Carmelo. And as someone mentioned, watching the Giants punk the undefeated Cheatriots was close. Unfortunately, a few of my friends are Giants fans who recognize the Bills for what it is- a second rate franchise with clueless management (still until proven otherwise). So I couldn't even celebrate publicly.

Floated around as a kid, and latched on to 'fun teams that are good' in the late 80s/early 90s... so I got some championships as a Lakers and Dodgers fan... not so much with the Bills haha.

Best championship for me, was Lakers vs Celtics in 2010. Best individual sports memory was Kirk Gibson's homerun in the 1988 World Series.

If the Bills were to ever win a Superbowl it'd take the crown, I care about them much more than the other two teams, probably because they've struggled so much (and also I enjoy watching football more than basketball and baseball... but enjoy playing basketball the most)

Celtics '08. Awesome, really fun year and playoff run, especially with one of my best friends and I experiencing it together while our other best friend was a Lakers fan (hah!), but honestly would barely be a blip on the radar of what it would feel like for me if (WHEN) the Bills and/or Sabres win it all.

The 05-06 Sabres season still stings, it truly does. We should have had the cup that year. Most fun I've ever had watching playoff hockey. Loved that team. Really felt like a curse was in full effect though with how it went down against Carolina. At full strength we win that series 4-1 and beat Edmonton 4-0 or 4-1 and probably have the confidence and experience to roll into another cup the next year and not fade down the stretch.

Also, my interest in the NBA has plummeted. One of the main turning points was maybe 2010 or 2011 I'm not sure when the Celts surprisingly looked like they might beat the hugely favored Heat. Rondo drives to the basket and his face is raked by someone. No call, no nothing. Lebron James and Wade etc were getting every call and I just finally admitted to myself that the refs controlled the outcome more than in any other sport. Haven't been into it much since.

And now the NFL is reminding me of that and it's not a good feeling. But I'll always watch the Bills and Sabres just because I love watching them play my two favorite sports. That's it.

Celtics '08. Awesome, really fun year and playoff run, especially with one of my best friends and I experiencing it together while our other best friend was a Lakers fan (hah!), but honestly would barely be a blip on the radar of what it would feel like for me if (WHEN) the Bills and/or Sabres win it all.

The 05-06 Sabres season still stings, it truly does. We should have had the cup that year. Most fun I've ever had watching playoff hockey. Loved that team. Really felt like a curse was in full effect though with how it went down against Carolina. At full strength we win that series 4-1 and beat Edmonton 4-0 or 4-1 and probably have the confidence and experience to roll into another cup the next year and not fade down the stretch.

Also, my interest in the NBA has plummeted. One of the main turning points was maybe 2010 or 2011 I'm not sure when the Celts surprisingly looked like they might beat the hugely favored Heat. Rondo drives to the basket and his face is raked by someone. No call, no nothing. Lebron James and Wade etc were getting every call and I just finally admitted to myself that the refs controlled the outcome more than in any other sport. Haven't been into it much since.

And now the NFL is reminding me of that and it's not a good feeling. But I'll always watch the Bills and Sabres just because I love watching them play my two favorite sports. That's it.

haha. My heart breaks a little every time I see Pierce, Garnett and Rondo with their different teams. That was the squad!!! I know Rondo is an "acquired taste" but he remains one of my favorite C's of all time. Edited by YoloinOhio

haha. My heart breaks a little every time I see Pierce, Garnett and Rondo with their different teams. That was the squad!!! I know Rondo is an "acquired taste" but he remains one of my favorite C's of all time.

Haha yeah, that's also another reason why I've stepped away from the NBA a good bit. The entire squad is different now, and with a different coach. Definitely a bummer that the original 'Big Three' didn't get more than one championship together. Injuries are always the killer. Still shaking my head over that 2010 Lakers loss. Up 13 going into the fourth or something close to that and lose? Not cool haha

haha. My heart breaks a little every time I see Pierce, Garnett and Rondo with their different teams. That was the squad!!! I know Rondo is an "acquired taste" but he remains one of my favorite C's of all time.

Nothing was better than watching Rondo go all alpha dog and guarding Lebron like a madman.

Nothing was better than watching Rondo go all alpha dog and guarding Lebron like a madman.

I'm not a LeBron hater per se (mostly because he does a lot for OSU recruiting lol) but living in Cavs country during his first go around in Cleveland, one of my favorite moments was when the Cavs lost to the Celtics in the 2010 playoffs and he ripped off his Cavs jersey while running into the locker room. The next month, he took his talents to South Beach. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm not a LeBron hater per se (mostly because he does a lot for OSU recruiting lol) but living in Cavs country during his first go around in Cleveland, one of my favorite moments was when the Cavs lost to the Celtics in the 2010 playoffs and he ripped off his Cavs jersey while running into the locker room. The next month, he took his talents to South Beach.

SO sweet

The Jays in 92-93 - and I was too young to understand how spoiled we were then.

Portland Timbers 2 weeks ago winning the MLS Cup. What was amazing was they took an early 2-0 lead, and I never had that feeling they'd find a way to lose the way I'm conditioned with the Bills. Still, I've only been a soccer fan for the ~7 years I've lived in PDX, and the Timbers won it all after only 5 years in MLS. I don't think the feeling comes close to what a SB win or a Sabres stanley cup would mean. The folks here don't understand how spoiled they are right now...

The Jays in 92-93 - and I was too young to understand how spoiled we were then.

Portland Timbers 2 weeks ago winning the MLS Cup. What was amazing was they took an early 2-0 lead, and I never had that feeling they'd find a way to lose the way I'm conditioned with the Bills. Still, I've only been a soccer fan for the ~7 years I've lived in PDX, and the Timbers won it all after only 5 years in MLS. I don't think the feeling comes close to what a SB win or a Sabres stanley cup would mean. The folks here don't understand how spoiled they are right now...

congrats, they beat my Crew ;) it was a good match.

2011 - Lancashire won the County Championship for the first time since 1934. I'm talking cricket but nobody knows what that is.

Quite a few trophies growing up as a Wigan Warriors fan too.

As far as American sports go, not even seen a Bills playoff game yet and I'm in the first year of adopting the Orlando Magic. I don't care about basketball but Mario Hezonja is my spirit animal.

Yankees countless times when I was a kid and cared about baseball.

The University of Alabama Crimson Tide has brought me decades of championships and happiness, and by the way there is room on the bandwagon for new converts. I promise you years of joy if you join us. :)

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a FYI it doesn't count when you claim two teams in one sport, I've noticed that a couple times in this thread B-)

i noticed that too and I purposely left NFL off as a choice in the poll because I figured Bills fans wouldn't have a need to choose that - however I see some have "second teams"

Big fan of showtime Lakers teams and Magic Johnson, still enjoyed the Kobe years but not as much. I've been a Yankee fan since my buddy and I used to copy the lineups out of the paper and emulate our hero's playing strike out baseball against the wall at PS 77 in Buffalo, since closed which is kinda sad to me actually. So Yankees. BUT....nothing would beat a Bills and/or Sabres title, nothing never ever!!!

Syracuse Basketball in 2003 (after losses in 96 and 87--but was too young to remember 87); and Penguins in 2009 (was not much of a hockey fan in the early 90's). The Bills winning would top all of these.

Pirates twice and Pens four times! Big Sabres fan as well!

Fellow Pittsburgh resident?

Yankees countless times when I was a kid and cared about baseball.

The University of Alabama Crimson Tide has brought me decades of championships and happiness, and by the way there is room on the bandwagon for new converts. I promise you years of joy if you join us. :)

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAR EAGLE!!!!

sorry, couldn't resist. have family members that are Auburn fans/grads, but a great friend who is a huge Bama fan. Does winning so much get old? (something Bills fans have not had to consider).

Edited by RyanC883

Bills, Sabres, Cubs and Sac Kings fan. Never seen a championship and have suffered heartbreaking defeats thanks to all 4 of them.

The Cubs are the team that matter to me the most and when it happens in the next few years I am concerned I'll stop caring about the other teams as much.

Edit: I forgot to mention Arizona State. I was at 97 Rose Bowl and that still stings.

Edited by SACTOBILLSFAN

Blue Jays-92/93

Duke Basketball-91,92,01,10,15 (Yes, I accept that I will be boo'd for being a Duke fan, but I come by it honestly)

Bad day today.

In order...Dallas Sidekicks (soccer )

Dallas Stars ( yes..I know.."no goal/in the crease")

Dallas Mavericks.