Rex Blaming Lack of Key Challenges on Arrowhead Operations

26CornerBlitz

This one is on Rex IMO, just not for the challenges.

I'm going to repeat myself here because you keep repeating this.

If the offensive system sucks, it's Rex's fault. If the D system sucks, it's Rex's fault. If the team's challenge system sucks, it's Rex's fault. He either has a direct hand in the systems in place or he has willfully given someone else the duty. Either way, it's his decision. Either way, it's his fault.

Edited by MDH

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can never take Rex at his word in press conferences. Sometimes it's easy to see what he is doing. Other times not so much. But rarely can you believe him. Sometimes he's deflecting blame. Sometimes he is protecting his players. Sometimes he is just lying so no one looks responsible even if they were.

Sometimes he is just saying stupid s*it because, well, that's what stupid people do.

He did that too. It's a pattern with him, he says it's ultimately my fault - right after he gets done explaining how it wasn't.

take it from someone who lives in Jersey, and was subjected to his being called out on this repeatedly over his last few years with the Jets - yes. yes. yes.

it's a lot easier to challenge a catch by your receiver, than quickly weighing the risk reward of challenging, and ignoring his pleas - just as it is, to dismiss a challenge because your receiver wasn't demonstrative in his reaction to the call.

a head coach who leaves the management of a game to his players is going to going to get an invite to their kids' birthday parties, but is gonna leave plays on the field that may cost those players the game.

Rex is Rex. People should understand what he does. To me, usually but not always, he is pretty clear what he is doing. In this particular case he is taking responsibility when it really wasn't his. He does that with players all the time. What he doesn't do, unfortunately, is take responsibility for his defense when it is his, which is what happened today.

Taking responsibility is blaming it on the opposing stadium?

If the offensive system sucks, it's Rex's fault. If the D system sucks, it's Rex's fault. If the team's challenge system sucks, it's Rex's fault. He either has a direct hand in the systems in place or he has willfully given someone else the duty. Either way, it's his decision. Either way, it's his fault.

With that theory it is Whaley's fault. And with that theory it is the Pegula's fault. The "buck stops here" is very rarely true.

At this point the only thing that is going to save Rex's rep is if he can get these guys to win five in a row. When was the last time the Bills won five in a row?

It's not like it's impossible, but given the way Rex has the playing it seems so.

So, Rex, how about it?

That was weak. It's almost impossible that Bills coaches in the booth couldn't get the TV replays. He's covering for incompetence the way he often does with players.

They should pay someone to check the board here, if that's the case. (I'll volunteer, for far less that Mario got paid to sit this one out.)

Hang on Girls. It is not Rex's job to officiate the game. It is the NFL's job through it's officials. They are a complete embarrassment. You cannot challenge every play they screw up. We will again see a letter or statement form the NFL acknowledging "errors" made in the game. Week after week.

Rex and his staff did plenty to screw this game up. The refs were horrendous. again. again. again.

You are correct, it shouldn't be up to the coaches to have the responsibility to choose with plays to correct since there are so many of them. Can't challenge everything. Officiating is getting worse week by week.

Rex digging himself a huge hole with repeated references to Chief's replays.......

It sounds dumber with each reading/repeating..

For once I agree with WEO--these guys should at least get the game feed (ideally with a DVR) in the booth. If they see as much as we do, then it was obvious that those two plays needed to be challenged.

I kind of disagree on this one. The guy whose job it is to tell Rex to challenge is to blame. It's his job; no one else can do it for him. He screwed up. I am not sure how you blame Rex for it, except to impute every mistake every person on the entire team makes to the head coach, which strikes me as silly.

take it from someone who lives in Jersey, and was subjected to his being called out on this repeatedly over his last few years with the Jets - yes. yes. yes.

it's a lot easier to challenge a catch by your receiver, than quickly weighing the risk reward of challenging, and ignoring his pleas - just as it is, to dismiss a challenge because your receiver wasn't demonstrative in his reaction to the call.

a head coach who leaves the management of a game to his players is going to going to get an invite to their kids' birthday parties, but is gonna leave plays on the field that may cost those players the game.

Good post. Hogan should have been more demonstrative!

The Maclin play was obvious immediately as was the Hogan catch. What was classic was Watkins made that challenged catch on the sideline and of course they allowed plenty of time for Reid to challenge. That was a 50/50 call.

Manning & Elway would have run the next play to ensure no time for a challenge.

Both plays were obvious on replay, probably not obvious on a sideline view. I can't blame Rex for not challenging those two, but whoever looked at them in the booth and didn't tell him to challenge probably shouldn't have that responsibility next week. Woods also has to relax the "hell yes I caught it" act which I expect influenced Rex's decision. But maybe Hogan can dial his act up a little.

Rex as HC is in charge of deciding who is in the booth reviewing, how they pass information to him, and what he decides to do based on that information. Twice that failed the Bills, and if the same guy said "challenge it! Woods caught it!" rather than that being Rex reacting to a player, then it is three.

Here's the incontrovertible truth. Rex had one challenge left. It was just seconds before the two minute warming, the point in the game when reviews come from upstairs. So there was no point in saving the replay for later. It's a no-brainer. Use it before you lose it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Here's the incontrovertible truth. Rex had one challenge left. It was just seconds before the two minute warming, the point in the game when reviews come from upstairs. So there was no point in saving the replay for later. It's a no-brainer. Use it before you lose it.

Yep. The "little things". He doesn't have a head for game management, he is a DC. It's plain as day, right in front of your face. He doesn't have "situational awareness".

Yep. The "little things". He doesn't have a head for game management, he is a DC. It's plain as day, right in front of your face. He doesn't have "situational awareness".

How long has it been since we had a coach with "situational awareness"?

As much as I hate the Cheats**** and Bellicheat****; they are the best in this regard. They may cheat to know the plays, but damn it the are aware of each situation and what the correct call is; every time.

In a league with as much parity as there is and the frequent hiring and firing of coaches; this stability and honestly knowing how to coach is a huge leg up on everyone else.

When you are at the top of the food chain, you are responsible for the system that everyone works in. As an HC you are the "situational awareness" guy; you don't call F'ing plays; every play! You need to watch the plays and know what is going on with your team. Given how atrocious the officiating is; it is inexcusable for him to not have a working communication system with the "guy" in the booth. Shifting the blame to others for something that is a core job responsibility of his, shows that he is a charlatan...

Edited by Reed83HOF

How long has it been since we had a coach with "situational awareness"?

As much as I hate the Cheats**** and Bellicheat****; they are the best in this regard. They may cheat to know the plays, but damn it the are aware of each situation and what the correct call is; every time.

In a league with as much parity as there is and the frequent hiring and firing of coaches; this stability and honestly knowing how to coach is a huge leg up on everyone else.

When you are at the top of the food chain, you are responsible for the system that everyone works in. As an HC you are the "situational awareness" guy; you don't call F'ing plays; every play! You need to watch the plays and know what is going on with your team. Given how atrocious the officiating is; it is inexcusable for him to not have a working communication system with the "guy" in the booth. Shifting the blame to others for something that is a core job responsibility of his, shows that he is a charlatan...

Belichick gets the most out of the talent he has, and is prepared for virtually every development.

I don't think it's totally fair to compare Ryan to Belichick, but Ryan isn't even average.

Belichick gets the most out of the talent he has, and is prepared for virtually every development.

I don't think it's totally fair to compare Ryan to Belichick, but Ryan isn't even average.

LOL I didn't originally mean to, but as I was replying I changed my mind. That honestly is how big the gap truly is and is one reason why they destroy everyone in our division. Playing Ryan the last 6 years in NY, and whatever miscast of coaches us and the 'Phins had is...I don't even know what it is..it is just sad...

you get two challenges per game....we have to use them because the officiating is pathetic...there is something wrong with that. Blaming Rex is what's weak- he doesnt see the replays he told by guys upstairs

And you have to use the challenges on the big, game-changing plays. Hell, even if there's a 1 in 3 chance that the long "catch" by Maclin is overturned, that's a prudent use of the challenge flag. At worst it costs you a timeout (which we routinely burn when the offense isn't ready for some inexplicable reason) or one of your two coach's challenges -- one of which went unused today anyway. The risk/reward equation is so tilted in favor of throwing the challenge that it makes no sense not to. Which is why Rex increasingly makes no sense at all.

I have alwAys adhered to the idea that NFL coaches are generally terrible at game management. I don't understand why they don't just delegate that task to someone else, like an analytics guy.

With that theory it is Whaley's fault. And with that theory it is the Pegula's fault. The "buck stops here" is very rarely true.

The buck stops here is absolutely true for anybody who actually has authority over a given situation. This isn't some far ranging hire that Rex was only sorta familiar with. He is directly responsible for it.

One of the major criticisms of Rex during his years with the Jets was that he was a very poor game day coach. He didn't manage games well. Are these things never his fault then? His poor clock management and his poor decisions challenging calls are somebody else's mistakes? An attention to every detail is required from a HC, it's his fault if the systems he has in place fail. Just as it's a good coaching job when those systems succeed. It is the nature of the beast.

The buck stops here is absolutely true for anybody who actually has authority over a given situation. This isn't some far ranging hire that Rex was only sorta familiar with. He is directly responsible for it.

One of the major criticisms of Rex during his years with the Jets was that he was a very poor game day coach. He didn't manage games well. Are these things never his fault then? His poor clock management and his poor decisions challenging calls are somebody else's mistakes? An attention to every detail is required from a HC, it's his fault if the systems he has in place fail. Just as it's a good coaching job when those systems succeed. It is the nature of the beast.

And Andy Reid has been criticized on many occasions for poor in-game management. Andy looked like a master tactician compared to Rex.

Bingo

@mikerodak

Rex Ryan believes there was an unusually low amount of replays in close calls in Arrowhead Stadium today. He... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0462732883430217501-4

@AFCEastDaily

AFC East Daily Retweeted Mike Rodak

Rex questions the Chiefs' in-stadium replay practices.

I saw two, the guy in the booth (who should be fired) must have been looking elsewhere at the time.

I was yelling throw the flag on the non catch by the Chefs on their second TD drive. Those 7 points mattered.

I saw two, the guy in the booth (who should be fired) must have been looking elsewhere at the time.

I was yelling throw the flag on the non catch by the Chefs on their second TD drive. Those 7 points mattered.

It's a red flag, but hell yes it should have been thrown. It was obvious what the situation called for, but there was no indication that it was even a consideration.

I have alwAys adhered to the idea that NFL coaches are generally terrible at game management. I don't understand why they don't just delegate that task to someone else, like an analytics guy.

Agree. It's hard to think about play calls, tendencies, and all that. All while people are probably jabbering in your ear about something else completely.

I personally think challenge's are stupid. Just have a couple booth reviewers like they do in college... review what you think is close. Don't have the ref run off the field, just radio in the call.