Do the Bills still go QB in round 1?

Too early to tell.

I agree. We don't need to make this decision in the next 3 weeks!

Let's see how the entire season plays out in full, with injury (or lack thereof) included...and go from there.

I think a pure stud OL is the team's #1 priority if Tyrod can stay healthy and continues to play at or better than his current level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. For me it's Cook or Hackenberg. Our backup should be Licata.

there are a number of guys coming out this year and I watch a ton of CFB but am in no way qualified to scout them as NFL prospects, nor should I. So I say if the team has a guy as a 1st rd grade and like him they should take him.

I suspect they might go D line in the first round. One, and maybe two, of this year's starters will, I think, be replaced to fit Rex's philosophy and to free up cap space.

I agree that this might happen, but I also think that QB should be a very high priority. I don't see Mario on the team next season.

I just posted this in the Tyrod injury thread but its more appropriate here.

If we draft a QB, the question becomes "what about Tyrod"?

Lets say you trade up to get a QB.

Your starter next year is most likely Taylor to let the rookie learn behind a vet.

What if Taylor has a good year and leads the Bills to the playoffs? Taylor will want a big contract. Do you sign him and leave the drafted QB on the bench (or trade him)? Do you just let Taylor walk after ending a 16yr playoff drought? That's the problem with taking a QB high.

I would suggest taking a guy in Rd2 or 3 as insurance for Taylor. If Taylor sucks next year and the drafted QB doesn't impress, then go all out for QB in 2017 draft. If Taylor is good, re-sign him and no need to pursue a QB in 2017.

I just posted this in the Tyrod injury thread but its more appropriate here.If we draft a QB, the question becomes "what about Tyrod"?Lets say you trade up to get a QB.Your starter next year is most likely Taylor to let the rookie learn behind a vet.What if Taylor has a good year and leads the Bills to the playoffs? Taylor will want a big contract. Do you sign him and leave the drafted QB on the bench (or trade him)? Do you just let Taylor walk after ending a 16yr playoff drought? That's the problem with taking a QB high.I would suggest taking a guy in Rd2 or 3 as insurance for Taylor. If Taylor sucks next year and the drafted QB doesn't impress, then go all out for QB in 2017 draft. If Taylor is good, re-sign him and no need to pursue a QB in 2017.

Who cares? If TT works out, great. If he doesn't, we have a backup. There's no dilemma when you make he playoffs.

Who cares? If TT works out, great. If he doesn't, we have a backup. There's no dilemma when you make he playoffs.

In theory, you are right.

But you're talking about using resources to trade up to get QB and then leave him on the bench and never play him? I don't think that is likely. I don't think the Bills will go all in to get a QB this year unless they are sure TT is not the guy. Some fans here are sure. I don't think the Bills are. I would expect the Bills to use their top pick to add to the team around Taylor and maybe pick a QB later. Who knows. It will be interesting. Hopefully Taylor finishes this year strong and we go to the playoffs and this is a non-issue.

The Bills can win with Tyrod Taylor. Maybe a guy in the mid to late rounds to develop as the #2 guy. Maybe Kaepernick in trade...

The draft should be about getting some more young talent to develop on defense, O-line and possibly another playmaker at WR.

The Bills can win with Tyrod Taylor. Maybe a guy in the mid to late rounds to develop as the #2 guy. Maybe Kaepernick in trade...

The draft should be about getting some more young talent to develop on defense, O-line and possibly another playmaker at WR.

He's even worse.

In theory, you are right.But you're talking about using resources to trade up to get QB and then leave him on the bench and never play him? I don't think that is likely. I don't think the Bills will go all in to get a QB this year unless they are sure TT is not the guy. Some fans here are sure. I don't think the Bills are. I would expect the Bills to use their top pick to add to the team around Taylor and maybe pick a QB later. Who knows. It will be interesting. Hopefully Taylor finishes this year strong and we go to the playoffs and this is a non-issue.

Nothing matters if we don't get a QB. If folks don't see that, they never will. It's not the time to build the team up. It's as good as it's gonna be. Swing hard and swing often over the next 2 years.

I'd draft a QB even if we go into the playoffs with Tyrod.

Nothing matters if we don't get a QB. If folks don't see that, they never will. It's not the time to build the team up. It's as good as it's gonna be. Swing hard and swing often over the next 2 years.

I'd draft a QB even if we go into the playoffs with Tyrod.

This is the argument that drives me nuts. You don't just pull a QB of the QB tree and he shows up and is great. That happens very very rarely. If you draft a guy, it takes time for him to develop. Especially if you draft a guy in the first, you have to give him a couple years to develop rather than picking a QB every year and playing musical QBs. The problem with this fanbase if that we have no patience due to the playoff drought.

This is the argument that drives me nuts. You don't just pull a QB of the QB tree and he shows up and is great. That happens very very rarely. If you draft a guy, it takes time for him to develop. Especially if you draft a guy in the first, you have to give him a couple years to develop rather than picking a QB every year and playing musical QBs. The problem with this fanbase if that we have no patience due to the playoff drought.

The fanbase has nothing to do with who starts at QB. The argument that we can't draft a QB because the fans are impatient is completely ludicrous.

You'd rather we were still "developing" Manuel?

We have zero first round QB's capable of developing right now.

There's no patience because SuperBowl windows close.

Should we go through the list of "good" QB's in the NFL who started out pretty good? Who, by their second year, were basically franchise guys?

This team will be worse than it is now in 3 years. We need a lottery ticket, a guy who comes in a plays well. We need to play the lottery a lot.

Edited by FireChan

We have zero first round QB's capable of developing right now.

There's no patience because SuperBowl windows close.

Should we go through the list of "good" QB's in the NFL who started out pretty good? Who, by their second year, were basically franchise guys?

This team will be worse than it is now in 3 years. We need a lottery ticket, a guy who comes in a plays well. We need to play the lottery a lot.

We should go down the list of guys who showed little to no improvement over the course of their first 2 seasons who went on to be successful. It'll save time.

Tyrod looks like a career back up. A damn good back up...but not a starter by any means.

I wouldn't even draft a QB early unless it was a stud. I would (obviously) take any quality guy available in rd. 4 and beyond...but I would primarily try to grab an existing "pro" via trade or FA (Rivers, Cutler, any of those type of guys). They won't be great but the window is now we don't have time for a rookie.