Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be under constant scrutiny and to either be lauded to the heavens or blown up in the media and on social media. But -- I thought the NFL gave its rookies a full-day workshop on how to deal with these things. And, I wonder if this tweet isn't yet another example of Rex's failure to instill discipline in his players? One of the worst things to do, from a PR standpoint, is to attack fans (however, beer-sodden and stupid they may be). Unfortunately, a professional athlete has to rise above all of the negativity. Us little people in our little jobs often have to swallow a lot. But being mature means taking the high road. It doesn't sound like he's getting any help or advice in this area.

Again, it bespeaks a very loose ship being run at OBD.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watkins has been virtually useless to the Bills. He has been injured more often than not. Too bad if he doesn't like the criticism. When you call for more targets and then fall down without being touched and get hurt AGAIN, you are fair game for criticism. Call me a d'bag if you want, I think Watkins is a bigger one.

So its ok for fans to say completely terrible things to him? but its not ok for Sammy to come right back at them.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be under constant scrutiny and to either be lauded to the heavens or blown up in the media and on social media. But -- I thought the NFL gave its rookies a full-day workshop on how to deal with these things. And, I wonder if this tweet isn't yet another example of Rex's failure to instill discipline in his players? One of the worst things to do, from a PR standpoint, is to attack fans (however, beer-sodden and stupid they may be). Unfortunately, a professional athlete has to rise above all of the negativity. Us little people in our little jobs often have to swallow a lot. But being mature means taking the high road. It doesn't sound like he's getting any help or advice in this area.

Again, it bespeaks a very loose ship being run at OBD.

No, it more speaks to sports fans being the worst kind of people, IMO.

Watkins should to learn that criticism is part of the fame-and-money-celebrity package. That's reality. He's going to be lauded, put upon a pedestal and given riches. He's going to get more tail than he can handle and people are going to fall all over themselves to do him favors. But he's also going to get hangers on. He's going to be criticized and even made fun of - even if he's successful, even if he doesn't totally deserve it. And if he does deserve it or ask for it or egg on those doing it, then it is going to be much worse. That's the deal. Don't like it? Can't handle it? Then walk away. Nobody is holding a gun to your head, Sammy.

Watkins should to learn that criticism is part of the fame-and-money-celebrity package. That's reality. He's going to be lauded, put upon a pedestal and given riches. He's going to get more tail than he can handle and people are going to fall all over themselves to do him favors. But he's also going to get hangers on. He's going to be criticized and even made fun of - even if he's successful, even if he doesn't totally deserve it. And if he does deserve it or ask for it or egg on those doing it, then it is going to be much worse. That's the deal. Don't like it? Can't handle it? Then walk away. Nobody is holding a gun to your head, Sammy.

*sarcasm button on*

No, you are absolutely wrong!! We need to Tweet, Facebook and Instagram him that he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, that he is a gamer, that he should keep posting his thoughts about fans and their jobs, that he put "those fans" in their place, that he should keep "speaking the truth"...in other words, we should coddle him and reward him for his comments.

*sarcasm button off*

Some observations:

1. Sammy is sort of a microcosm of the basic problems with the team: Tons of hype without the results on the field backing it up (at least so far). On par with Rex's chest-thumping puffery re building a bully/#1 defense that has underwhelmed and underperformed relative to expectations.

2. The twitter comment is offensive to a broader group than the idiots who called him out because he chose to focus on people's days jobs and demean those who work hard for a living for a low wage. It's the ammo that he chose to silence his critics that is the issue. He used extremely poor judgment and wrote things that rightly rubbed a wider audience the wrong way. Not that surprising given his young age but he brought this backlash upon himself.

3. Fan interest (consumer demand in econ speak) is the driver of all NFL revenue, from TV broadcast rights (valued based on the number of eyeballs that watch games), to apparel, etc., etc.

Imagine being a top talent and being drafted by the Bills

We love this team but most of these guys have zero prior connection to it. To them, they come here and just lose all the time, have their season be practically over by November 1st, and get embarrassed by good teams while their buddies are on Sports Center, MNF, playoff games, Madden covers...

I can see where you might snap.

So true. I'm pretty sure Watkins would say a fan has every right to boo him if he drops a pass or stinks it up on the field. But going on social media and harassing the guy because he got injured? That crosses a line, so I feel Watkins has every right to come right back at them. Is there some unwritten rule that says they have to just take it? I don't see why anyone would be offended by it, save for those who either made those comments themselves or considered doing it.

This. If you're offended you're probably a dbag. If you're not offended at all just don't think he should be doing this you may be right. I wish more players would. I think it's fun. ;)

He majored in Football.

and he didn't quite graduate!

Imagine being a top talent and being drafted by the Bills

We love this team but most of these guys have zero prior connection to it. To them, they come here and just lose all the time, have their season be practically over by November 1st, and get embarrassed by good teams while their buddies are on Sports Center, MNF, playoff games, Madden covers...

I can see where you might snap.

Sammy gets injured like he was on a Madden cover.

1. I’m shocked how many of you are defending this.

2. This shows serious immaturity and relays back to what we have been hearing about Sammy, that he’s a me-first type of guy

3. That was one of the worst attempts at the english language I have ever seen from someone with a college education. He confused “once” for “wants”. I’m actually stunned by that level of ignorance.

4. I keep seeing all these other WRs in the draft class (Beckham, Hopkins, and Evans at the top of the list) and I just don’t understand the need to reach like we did. All I hear about Hopkins is how hard he works and his numbers are out of this world with NO QB. Watkins can only catch what is thrown to him, but I’m starting to lose hope (I’ve already lost any respect)

• Im shocked how many of you are defending this.

• This shows serious immaturity and relays back to what we have been hearing about Sammy, that hes a me-first type of guy

• That was one of the worst attempts at the english language I have ever seen from someone with a college education. He confused once for wants. Im actually stunned by that level of ignorance.

• I keep seeing all these other WRs in the draft class (Beckham, Hopkins, and Evans at the top of the list) and I just dont understand the need to reach like we did. All I hear about Hopkins is how hard he works and his numbers are out of this world with NO QB. Watkins can only catch what is thrown to him, but Im starting to lose hope (Ive already lost any respect)

Hopkins wasn't in his draft class.

Some observations:

1. Sammy is sort of a microcosm of the basic problems with the team: Tons of hype without the results on the field backing it up (at least so far). On par with Rex's chest-thumping puffery re building a bully/#1 defense that has underwhelmed and underperformed relative to expectations.

2. The twitter comment is offensive to a broader group than the idiots who called him out because he chose to focus on people's days jobs and demean those who work hard for a living for a low wage. It's the ammo that he chose to silence his critics that is the issue. He used extremely poor judgment and wrote things that rightly rubbed a wider audience the wrong way. Not that surprising given his young age but he brought this backlash upon himself.

3. Fan interest (consumer demand in econ speak) is the driver of all NFL revenue, from TV broadcast rights (valued based on the number of eyeballs that watch games), to apparel, etc., etc.

Good post. Welcome aboard!

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be under constant scrutiny and to either be lauded to the heavens or blown up in the media and on social media.

Difficult? No, very easy actually. Don't like what people are saying on your twitter account? Stop reading it. If you must read it, don't reply. If you must reply in a semi-literate and condescending fashion, accept the crap that will necessarily come your way.

So its ok for fans to say completely terrible things to him? but its not ok for Sammy to come right back at them.

No, it more speaks to sports fans being the worst kind of people, IMO.

What are the terrible things being said about him by these "worst kinds of people"?