Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess he deleted the comment from his Instagram account...So now we can go back to giving him praise.

from what I could tell, he deleted it not long after he posted it. I saw someone post it on Twitter about an hour before this thread popped up and at that time they said it was already deleted. He then tweeted this (which again is hard to decipher)

@sammywatkins: Message wasn't for fans for whomever have a problem with athletes being injured

Edited by YoloinOhio

from what I could tell, he deleted it not long after he posted it. I saw someone post it on Twitter about an hour before this thread popped up and at that time they said it was already deleted. He then tweeted this (which again is hard to decipher)

@sammywatkins: Message wasn't for fans for whomever have a problem with athletes being injured

Saw that.

Arrogant and elitist? His statements actually seem to fit right in with most of what is found on the PP&P board discussions. Either that is frequented by a completely different crowd or there's a lot of folks on here with double standards. Guess it's just not cool for these guys to say those things? I'm not directing this at you personally, just an observation. Food for thought, if you will.

Either you don't peruse PPP often or you lack the cognitive ability to comprehend what you read there.

Its hard to blame Watkins or the fans for this situation. Watkins is a very good player who played through injury last year and has had bad luck with injuries this year. And he is truthful when he points out that the Bills are not in a position to use him properly in many games.

From the fans perspective Doug Whaley and OBD built Sammy up to be a "generational talent" at WR who was going to make any QB instantly better by his very presence. This was the first time in NFL history a GM traded up to a top 5 pick to get a WR. It was a unique event. Fan expectations were not for a competent #1 WR. Fan expectations were for a guy who people would compare to Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson and AJ Green. And that certainly hasn't happened yet.

Personally, I think people who talk **** to athletes on Twitter are dipshits, and I'm not bothered by his comments because I'm comfortable with my station in life, but I absolutely understand why others are offended. He basically said that he sees middle class people with regular jobs as losers who are beneath him.

The "he wasn't talking about me" argument doesn't hold water either. He wasn't talking to you, but he was most definitely talking about you, assuming you don't have a glamorous job making millions.

Edited by Rob's House

Personally, I think people who talk **** to athletes on Twitter are dipshits, and I'm not bothered by his comments because I'm comfortable with my station in life, but I absolutely understand why others are offended. He basically said that he sees middle class people with regular jobs are losers who are beneath him.

The "he wasn't talking about me" argument doesn't hold water either. He wasn't talking to you, but he was most definitely talking about you, assuming you don't have a glamorous job making millions.

Measured on economics almost all of us are certainly losers compared to Sammy.

Lots of frustration in the Bills community - fans and players

One nasty Sammy game and the love will be gushing again from all angles.

I really look forward to this kid being a Bill for a long time. I know he will be a monster.

Those who call him a bust and a sissy, do not deserve nice things on their football team!!

Edited by filthymcnasty08

Personally, I think people who talk **** to athletes on Twitter are dipshits, and I'm not bothered by his comments because I'm comfortable with my station in life, but I absolutely understand why others are offended. He basically said that he sees middle class people with regular jobs as losers who are beneath him.

I was just writing a response very similar to this when I noticed yours. Spot on.

One of the "Rex effects" is that he allows his players to speak their minds. Not a fan of this because the more I hear what is really going through a player's mind the more I realize I don't really like them.

Edited by MDH

Watkins has been virtually useless to the Bills. He has been injured more often than not. Too bad if he doesn't like the criticism. When you call for more targets and then fall down without being touched and get hurt AGAIN, you are fair game for criticism. Call me a d'bag if you want, I think Watkins is a bigger one.

I just lost all respect for the guy.

Social media's a weird thing. We pass judgements on people we've never met because "they said something" or "haven't lived up to OUR expectations." I try not to do that. We're all different. But $10 bucks says you cheer next time he scores.

A lot of people like their athletes to "shut up" and work. People tend to view their lives of punching the clock as no different than that of an athletes. But I've always thought it a dangerous habit to compare "real world jobs" and pro athletes. They're not the same, not even remotely close. And it sucks IMO to make the connection/relationship with the players we root a purely fiscal one. It takes the fun out of sports and replaces enjoyment with jealously and resentment.

Sammy will learn that it's not always the best idea to respond to fans. But lose respect for him, naw. I'm good. I'm still psyched we've got a talent like him and have got my fingers crossed these injuries will soon be a thing of the past.

Big difference between griping on a message board and going after a guy on his social media page

As pissy, negative and downright unpleasant as I can be it's not personal. Those people harassing him are making it personal.

However, it happens to every athlete. Sad reality.

IMO this is more a symptom of Sammy's unhappiness here overall. I can't blame him honestly for being angry. Everywhere he looks he sees ODB JR and must feel like he's wasting his career here.

I agree, with his "generational talent", he could be on any other team's inactive list right now....

OMG. You guys are defending this dope. I could tolerate the "Gimme my 10 targets" and "I could have Julio Jones stats if I had 20 targets" bull ****....but this dolt is bordering on TO material. Never, never, never call out your fans!! That's the sign of immaturity and a lack of professionalism. You can go ahead and defend him all you want but I've made up my mind on this kid.

They are not his fans if they are bashing him. He is no where near TO status.