Lions got SCREWED

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You fumble the ball at the 1 yard line - you live with what you did.

End of discussion.

No offense to the myriad of Lions fans here

On one hand, you make a good point. OTOH, the rules are there for a reason, and the Seahags CLEARLY violated them, and the incompetence of the NFL official should not have to be tolerated. That ref who blew the call should be fired ASAP.

Here's the rule:

A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponents goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

Seems pretty cut and dried. Seahawks squirrel out again due to refs (and players) not knowing the rules.

I recall many instances of offensive or ST players batting or kicking the ball out of their own end zone for an intentional safety with no flag.

Color me surprised that they screwed up again. Time to for the refs to be accountable for learning the rule book or nah? What a bunch of BS.

While refs in hockey and umps in baseball miss calls , at least they know the rule book. Some NFL refs just seem clueless out there.

I think that's because 2 points are awarded, vs a touchback/change of possesion.

I understand the difference, but the rule above says in either direction in either end zone so that leads me to conclude this is one of those odd rules that is rarely if ever enforced. If it was, than the player would have likely known that and simply covered the ball (which he could have easily done).

The Lions got 'screwed' by Kam Chancellor's sensational play, not the refs.

Ya know, here is the thing that really grates on me, they are so eagle eyed to not miss a single

holding, personal foul, or even the faintest move on a false start, yet they miss the most obvious

rules and infractions and blow calls that really impact the outcome of the game.

IMHO, the worst officiated sport going, by far! It really stems from the over officious leanings,

in the name of player safety, that the leauge exhibits now. Croc!

On one hand, you make a good point. OTOH, the rules are there for a reason, and the Seahags CLEARLY violated them, and the incompetence of the NFL official should not have to be tolerated. That ref who blew the call should be fired ASAP.

Rules? Like the rules apply for the NFL darlings!

even if a penalty was committed on the play?

All I am saying is that there are blown calls all the time. - if he did not fumble, we and the rest of NFL nation would not be talking about it.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Rules? Like the rules apply for the NFL darlings!

All I am saying is that there are blown calls all the time. - if he did not fumble, we and the rest of NFL nation would not be talking about it.

if he didn't fumble we wouldn't be talking about it because there wouldn't have been a ball to bat and hence no penalty.

Talking to my buddy the other day - getting harder and harder to watch the NFL - I listened to the game on Sunday and didn't get to see all the flags - after seeing them - wow some were simply non existent. Got home and watched the Sunday night game - flag after flag - the games are so chopped up and there is no flow to the play anymore. The flags - or non flags in Detroit's case - are simply making paying attention tough.

Right, and in a review you can't call a penalty so how do you get the turnover overturned is my point.

Essentially the ref can't throw the flag, and the ball did go out of bounds, so short of "but come on guys" there's not a lot he could say to change the ruling

I don't get this. They can get in a huddle and call intentional grounding, or pick up a pass interference flag because a ball was tipped, but they can't talk to each other and say...."well he batted the ball so throw a flag".

I understand the can't throw a new flag when a play is being reviewed, but one official was talking like he saw it, and was going to throw the flag but thought it might not have been intentional. To me that warrants a discussion with the other officials.

Talking to my buddy the other day - getting harder and harder to watch the NFL - I listened to the game on Sunday and didn't get to see all the flags - after seeing them - wow some were simply non existent. Got home and watched the Sunday night game - flag after flag - the games are so chopped up and there is no flow to the play anymore. The flags - or non flags in Detroit's case - are simply making paying attention tough.

I had Calvin Johnson in my fantasy lineup and while no one cares about my fantasy team, it was a real eye opener how many catches were called back on ridiculous penalties.
Edited by What a Tuel

The game of football is meant to be played. That requires a ball on the field.

Batting the ball out of bounds anywhere (EZ or not) should be a penalty and possession should return to the last team to actually have possession at the last point of that possession (plus the penalty yards). That would be a simple rule.

When the fumble happened last night, I was looking forward to a fight for the ball - a fitting way to potentially determine the outcome of the game. Not a batted ball followed by a blown call.

Edited by hondo in seattle

And these situations are the subtleties of the NFL and officiating. Seattle...the 12th man, all their nonsense of being one of the "elite" teams over the past several year comes into play again. Seattle has earned the reputation of being a winning team, a winning organization, a likeable coach, etc.. Yes they play physical before the whistle blows and they chirp alot but somehow the refs respect that organization...and with the whole world watching in their house, they get a call like that...or a non-call. They've earned it, they're Seattle. Teams like Buffalo and Detroit will never get bailed out on a call like that. Never.

I don't care if it should be a rule or not. It is and should be enforced.

The Seahawks continue to be the squireliest team in the NFL.

Does anyone know of another NFL team that has won 2 games in the last 3 years due to blatent blown ref calls?

Pretty much every team that has beaten the Bills twice, based on the threads here....

I don't get this. They can get in a huddle and call intentional grounding, or pick up a pass interference flag because a ball was tipped, but they can't talk to each other and say...."well he batted the ball so throw a flag".

I understand the can't throw a new flag when a play is being reviewed, but one official was talking like he saw it, and was going to throw the flag but thought it might not have been intentional. To me that warrants a discussion with the other officials.

I had Calvin Johnson in my fantasy lineup and while no one cares about my fantasy team, it was a real eye opener how many catches were called back on ridiculous penalties.

What's more troubling is that you have referees who don't even assign a number to the penalty anymore and there's no replay to confirm what happened. How often do we get a "Holding Team X" and then it's off to the next play. No player called out for the foul and no replay for us at home to confirm it.

The NFL is treading dangerously here. It's close alignment with Draft Kings and other "paid fantasy football sites" may start drawing attention from other parties when strange things continue to go down in games.

Here's the rule:

A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponent’s goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

Seems pretty cut and dried. Seahawks squirrel out again due to refs (and players) not knowing the rules.

I would argue he did not bat a LOOSE ball in the field of play; he batted a ball being held by an opposing player.

He also did not bat the ball toward the opponent's goal line, or in ANY direction in ANY end zone.

It all went down at about the 6 inch line.

I would argue he did not bat a LOOSE ball in the field of play; he batted a ball being held by an opposing player.

He also did not bat the ball toward the opponent's goal line, or in ANY direction in ANY end zone.

It all went down at about the 6 inch line.

That's NOT the play in question. After the ball was batted out by Chancellor (which is a legitimate football play) another Seahawk ran up to the ball as it was bouncing out of the endzone and punched it out so that it couldn't be recovered. That is illegal.

I know there are two camps on this one, but penalties should be reviewable, requiring clear evidence to overturn. What matters most is that the right call is made. The counter argument has always been that reviews slow down the pace of the game. If the number of available challenges remains at two per team, it doesn't slow down the game, because the number of challenges won't change.

There are too many game changing blown calls the would have been corrected with video replay.

FP

I know there are two camps on this one, but penalties should be reviewable, requiring clear evidence to overturn. What matters most is that the right call is made. The counter argument has always been that reviews slow down the pace of the game. If the number of available challenges remains at two per team, it doesn't slow down the game, because the number of challenges won't change.

There are too many game changing blown calls the would have been corrected with video replay.

FP

Personally i don't care if the game slows down. We have ONE game per week. Who cares if it's slow? It wouldn't be any slower than the average college game. I like that they review personal fouls in college ball. Just get the call right.

To be honest I don't have an issue with a non-call there. Yes by the letter of the law the Lions got screwed. But the Seattle player didn't really need to bat the ball there. He didn't have a Lions player breathing down on him there he could have easily just grabbed the ball up. So the bat wasn't a player trying to keep the ball away from an opposing player right there. It was more just a bone headed play that didn't get called. Would I be pissed if I was a Lions fan? Yes. But as a football fan the context of the situation doesn't violate the spirit of the law.

So my outrage for this situation is limited. There have been way worse blown calls in the history of the NFL.

Edited by billsfan89

Earlier in this game, Stafford put a pass directly on Megatron's hands. It was only not caught due to Cary Williams having his hand hooked on Calvin's shoulder to prevent him from raising his arm enough to catch it. The most blatant, obvious pass interference spot foul example you can find, but there wasn't even a discussion. Then, as soon as Lions made a rare 1st down pickup on a run, there was a very very soft "holding" call (the kind you can spot on ANY play) that brought it back. They KNOW what they're doing. These are FREE TURNOVERS!!! Picking that flag up last year vs the anointed Cowboys and calling it face-gaurding. Disallowing all those TDs by Johnson and then only changing the rule after it happened to Dez once. The Jim Schwartz rule on Thanksgiving a few years ago where they refused to review a false scoring play. It's utter BS. The league clearly doesn't want Detroit involved in playoff games. They only care about generating profits. Kraft works with Viacom, the people who bid on the broadcast rights. Jerry Jones and Kraft also have a huge stake in Fan Duel. What kind of respectable sports league would allow 2 owners to invest in gambling of said sport?

Everyone keeps saying it was against the rules, but not 1 person knows how to enforce this situation (or has stated as such). The (I bet the ref didn't either, hence no flag)

The two guys in the booth who have each watched about a thousand NFL games didn't say a peep about it.

Personally i don't care if the game slows down. We have ONE game per week. Who cares if it's slow? It wouldn't be any slower than the average college game. I like that they review personal fouls in college ball. Just get the call right.

Ugh. Since when does replay 'get it right'? Especially in college with the idiotic rules that throw a guy out of a game if he hits someone too hard.

The only thing I'm sure of is that if a batting penalty had been called everyone would be bitching and moaning about how it was a crappy call, how the refs decide games, how the ball was going OOB anyway and how Seattle made a great play but got robbed. Personally I liked the no call. It looked like it was probably a bat, but as a ref you don't effectively decide the game on a call like that unless you're 100% certain.

At the time, I actually thought it was a really smart play by the Seahawks defender.

By the way, how is this any different than when the snap flies over a punter's head and he kicks it through the back of the end zone to take the safety-- a play I have seen numerous times? Maybe you can do that, so long as the ball is not in the end zone at the time it was kicked?