Wild Card Race and Intel on Teams in the Hunt

BuffaloBaumer

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, but wins in all of those games help more in any situation. It's way to early to call anything a good loss. If we win out and go 15-1 then tie breaker scenarios are pretty unlikely!

Dude if we win all of those games we would lose just about any tie breaker. I'm not saying it has to be this week, but 1 or maybe 2 losses from that group are a must.

Dude if we win all of those games we would lose just about any tie breaker. I'm not saying it has to be this week, but 1 or maybe 2 losses from that group are a must.

Huh? Not enough coffee this morning? There isn't a single scenario where losing helps in a play-off chase. Ever. Overall record is still the determining factor.

Huh? Not enough coffee this morning? There isn't a single scenario where losing helps in a play-off chase. Ever. Overall record is still the determining factor.

Before this gets crazy I will just get out of this thread. Like several have pointed out it is far too early in the season. For those who don't understand, I will link the tie breaker rules. Clearly losses to NFC teams can only help us in these tiebreakers. If this thread is still around in week 13 or so I will come back and give a see I told you so. Even if it isn't the Bills, I promise some team will be in bad shape because their opposing conference record is too strong.

Tie breakers

Since we pretty much know the Pats are going to run away with another division title, let's keep track of the teams that we need to keep pace with to get that playoff spot. We don't necessarily have to list all the standings but maybe news about teams that are better than we thought (Cinci for me) or the teams that or not playing that well (Ravens).

Right now, the teams I feel will be in the race are Pitt/Baltimore/Cinci and San Diego/Denver

Before Game 4 of the season is even played? Seriously? Seriously?

I like the thread, if you find yourself not liking it.... avoid the post lol jeepers

The thread is premature, but slowly over the next few weeks it will slowly develop.

Exactly, when the hell is the last time anyone HONESTLY felt like playoff talk was legit. It's never too early for that kind of talk....

Since we pretty much know the Pats are going to run away with another division title, let's keep track of the teams that we need to keep pace with to get that playoff spot. We don't necessarily have to list all the standings but maybe news about teams that are better than we thought (Cinci for me) or the teams that or not playing that well (Ravens).

Right now, the teams I feel will be in the race are Pitt/Baltimore/Cinci and San Diego/Denver

It's only Week 3 of the season. I don't even think about this until Thanksgiving...

Right now the Jets and Chargers have an advantage over us in the tie breakers because of their losses to Philly and Minny. A loss this week to the Giants would even things out and could help in the long run, especially against the Chargers. The Jets we will play head to head.

Brings me back to one of your best threads crayonz!

that was a big win for us last night imo. let the other divisions knock each other out of contention. the Colts don't have Luck this week and with Big Ben still sidelined this could be a big opportunity for us to move well ahead of the other wild card teams

Before this gets crazy I will just get out of this thread. Like several have pointed out it is far too early in the season. For those who don't understand, I will link the tie breaker rules. Clearly losses to NFC teams can only help us in these tiebreakers. If this thread is still around in week 13 or so I will come back and give a see I told you so. Even if it isn't the Bills, I promise some team will be in bad shape because their opposing conference record is too strong.

Tie breakers

I can only assume that you are operating on the premise that the Bills must lose X number of games, so it would be better to lose out of conference games. While it's true that most Bills teams seem to have to lose many, many games, it is a false premise. 13-3 (with those 3 losses against AFC) always beats a 12-4 team that only lost to NFC teams. Losing is never the preferred outcome, to paraphrase Dick Juaron.

Really chiming in a lot to a thread you claim to have no interest in at all......If you think it's too early to discuss, why don't you just check back in week 17

Who said I have no interest? I'm just giving the only legitimate and fair answer to questions being asked.

Philly or Baltimore? Who knows!

Kc or Cincy? Who knows!

With what lol!? "This may have helped us unless it didn't! Stay tuned"

It's all about opinions. I happen to believe a loss to Pitt WILL benefit us as the standings are right NOW. Would I like to see KC knocked down to 1-3 because I think Cinci is taking the division....yes. Can that change in a few weeks, obviously......that's the whole point.

I'm not all convinced we won't win the Eastern Division. I know, I know...New England is unstoppable, the best team that ever wore pads, Brady is Peyton Manning, Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas wrapped up in one...But I for one didn't feel that we are as bad a team as we looked in the first game we played them and when push came to shove we scored 32 points. I figure if NE loses to us in November and we keep playing well it might be a fight. If not...then the wild cards isn't a bad consolation prize!

I also like this thread. Easy enough to track the teams who have a recent history of playoff visits, WC and DC included. Should those teams not perform as expected, then the focus shifts to the teams that are doing good. How is that premature? Why is there usually s thread regarding the other AFCE games every week plus other AFC games, because of the playoff implications involved. Again, I like this thread and I will be following it. Good job OP

Dang, the NFL won't let me start using their playoff scenario tracker until week 11!

Welcome to the ESPN.com NFL Playoff Machine

Start making your 2015 playoff predictions after Week 11 of the NFL season

(Rest assured I bookmarked it :rolleyes: )

That's where good old fashioned thinking comes in, instead of relying on a computer to think for you.

I can only assume that you are operating on the premise that the Bills must lose X number of games, so it would be better to lose out of conference games. While it's true that most Bills teams seem to have to lose many, many games, it is a false premise. 13-3 (with those 3 losses against AFC) always beats a 12-4 team that only lost to NFC teams. Losing is never the preferred outcome, to paraphrase Dick Juaron.

Operating on the premise that tiebreakers are necessary, losing to NFC teams is preferable.

Dang, the NFL won't let me start using their playoff scenario tracker until week 11!

Welcome to the ESPN.com NFL Playoff Machine

Start making your 2015 playoff predictions after Week 11 of the NFL season

(Rest assured I bookmarked it :rolleyes: )

gee I wonder why it is only active after week11!!!!

To the OP .... I just checked The Bills have not clinched a playoff spot as of today with 13 more games to go

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Operating on the premise that tiebreakers are necessary, losing to NFC teams is preferable.

Losing is never preferable. It just isn't. I know that it has been eons since it mattered to Bills fans, but overall record is the first determining factor. No one has ever purposefully tanked an out of conference game to end up with the same record as another team so they could a win a conference record tie-breaker.

Don't make me feel like The Miracle Worker here.

Now if the idea is: IF the Bills MUST lose, it is less detrimental to lose to a NFC team, yeah, I get that. The fact remains that winning those 4 games always gives the team a better record than going 3-1 against them.

I fall into this trap every year too.

Lol.

There is nothing inherently wrong or right with this thread.

Just know that the universe continues its march ever onwards, regardless of which teams youre "supposed" to root for in week 4 of the NFL season.
The teams that will win, will win, regardless of your rooting interest.

If you enjoy watching football, AND enjoy watching games that dont involve the Bills, AND need a "rooting interest" in those games, I would recommend putting 30$ on drafkings or fanduel, and giving yourself something tangible to care about in the other NFL matches.

Stressing out about Bills games is hard enough, and taxing enough on my liver.

If, at the end of the season, the Bills have won enough games to qualify for the postseason tournament, they will be there.

Concerning yourself with the plight of Kansas City Missouri's club in October (for me, at least) adds relatively little value to the appeal of the NFL as a whole!

But its still a good thread OP, and surely with 538 puts out their calculator that shows how Bufs odds improve if team a or team b loses, ill be in here to post the link, as it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of E!Spins playoff machine.

4merper4mer is like rainman when it comes to playoff scenarios and wildcard spots. He'll keep us all updated throughout the year. And he's right, the Dallas game would be a good one to lose.

No game is a good game to lose, at least when your overall record is the first determining factor. As stated above, if you are operating under the law of averages and figure there will more than likely be some more losses, then yes NFC teams are the preferable choice. There are scenarios where a 12-4 record with 3 NFC losses is better than a 13-3 with three AFC losses, but that's only if the other AFC teams that are in contention for a playoff spot have a 12-4 record or less. Otherwise the team with 13 wins will get into the playoffs before the team with 12, regardless of conference wins.

To the OP .... I just checked The Bills have not clinched a playoff spot as of today with 13 more games to go

Wow, they haven't?! And that was the whole point of the thread too....clinch by week 4. What was I thinking, can they do it this week? Can they? Huh?

But they are in a 16 team tie for the remaining wild card spot.

Actually at the moment we are in a 3 team tie with the Jets and the Raidahs for the 2 wild card spots. I'd like to see us keep winning to be at the top of the wild card teams instead of trying to get in there late in the season.

They count as much in October as they do in December.

And even then it's still a bit crazy

The NFL has shown time and time again that everyone's pretty even and no ones good at predicting which team will randomly go on a 5 game run

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think the Steelers are going to find a way no matter what (especially when Ben comes back). San Diego losing last night at home could turn out to be a plus in the end. San Diego, Jets, Steelers and Bills with 2 spots...not bad. Zona going to Pitt and San Diego going to Green Bay could work out nicely. Jets have Washington so it would be nice if Bills find a way to win this one.